Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Police: 2-year-old dies after statue falls on him

June 10, 2014 |

SAN FRANCISCO — A 2-year-old Utah boy was killed when a 6-foot-tall dolphin statue fell on him in the Fisherman’s Wharf area of San Francisco, police said Monday.

The toddler was apparently playing on Friday when he climbed up and wrapped his arms and legs around the heavy metal statue outside Majestic Collection Art Gallery, bringing it down, police spokesman Officer Gordon Shyy said.

The boy was initially treated for a nose bleed by emergency crews. He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he died from internal injuries a few hours later.

The medical examiner identified the boy as Kayson Shelton of Draper, Utah, about 20 miles south of Salt Lake City.

“It’s an unfortunate and tragic incident,” Shyy said.

The boy was visiting San Francisco with vacationing family members who were staying at a nearby hotel.

The store violated a city code and was cited for placing an object or merchandise on a sidewalk where it impedes pedestrian traffic, Shyy said. It was not known how much the statue weighed, he said.

Calls to the store on Monday were not immediately returned.

The family has returned home to Utah. A call to their residence on Monday was not immediately returned.

The Associated Press

The Associated Press

• just sayin'June 10, 2014 - 1:02 am

So Very Sad

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 6:25 am

This is tragic but one cannot help but wonder where the parents were?

• Dumb assesJune 10, 2014 - 7:03 am

Cd brooks that's what I'm wondering they must not have been paying attention if he had enough time to swing around on it & fall to the ground with it, I'm sure the statue has been there for a while but now of course they could get in trouble for having it infront of the store

• GemmaJune 10, 2014 - 7:08 am

Thank you for reading my mind. So not only did the parents not tell him "Don't touch" when he placed his hands on something that he shouldn't, he was ignored/not chastised long enough to wrap his arms around it and climb on it? Naturally, the store is now to blame, when imo, it's not their fault. Don't have kids if you're not going to watch them. If you've ever been shopping in Ut, you would know this behavior is par for the course there. Children "just being children", not reprimanded, and when they are, they're whispered to in such a calm voice it's pitiful. Of course I don't know that happened in this case, but that's what I think happened. I grew up around it for 18 years, and still witness it every time I go to Ut, which is a few times a year. May the child RIP, and let this be a lesson to people that you need to watch your kids!

• S KJune 10, 2014 - 7:16 am

Also my exact reaction when I heard this on the late night news. Sad for the kid, really too bad, but where the HECK were the parents??? At two years old kids are still stupidly being kids, especially the, "Terrible Twos." Hopefully the merchant won't be held responsible, the Parents should be. Of course attorneys are probably already contacting the Parents concerning a law suit. I'd love to be on that jury (THUMBS DOWN???).

• just sayin'June 10, 2014 - 7:21 am

Good to see so many people who Walk On Water. I did a search last night for more of the story. Seems it was illegally placed cheap 'art'. Yet for me, it is a sad loss of a young life. All the perfect people can worry about the rest.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 7:17 am

There is an ordinance that is supposed to keep displays closer to the shops. Apparently every one was pushing the limit and have now been told to move them back. This obviously should not have happened and I cannot imagine the family's grief. Let it be a lesson to pay attention to your kids at all times.

• P.J.June 10, 2014 - 9:09 am

Every one who commented is reading my mind too. I am amazed at how many parents in a store allow their kids to just run wild. Even in the military BX yesterday two kids were playing chase all over that store. Seems like they were telling their mother "catch me if you can". When she left the store both kids were in the shopping cart, but they were loud and rude. If some merchandise had fallen on them I'm sure the mother would sue the store!

• SKJune 10, 2014 - 11:01 am

Occasionally I have been in WalMart when the little unruly Aphids are running about (One reason my Wife has switched to Target), and I have actually yelled at them, "OUIT YOUR RUNNING!!!" Just hope that they could understand the English>>LOL

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 3:40 pm

I don't blame the parents. A kid can get into a bad spot in the blink of an eye. We're supposed to limit the number of bad spots where kids might be, not add them. This was what is know as an "attractive nuisance." It LOOKED like a play structure. How about putting a bunch of marbles out in a candy dish? It's tragic enough for the parents without loading more on them. The shop was in the wrong and will not only pay a fine, but also a settlement to the family via liability insurance.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 4:45 pm

rlw895, that a lousy excuse for lousy parenting, I don't care what anybody says. This was a baby for crying out loud! Never mind that's a crowded spot where imminent danger lurks on many levels and you let your baby wander loose? BS and shame on any of you that ill prepared to care for kids! GEEZ this pisses me off!

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Nonetheless, the business will be found liable.

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 5:02 pm

And a two-year-old is no longer a baby.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 5:16 pm

rlw895, and neither of your last two comments are conducive to the instruction of proper child care.

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 10:15 pm

Perhaps not, but both are true.

• LucyAJune 10, 2014 - 3:51 pm

Ok, let's be real.....how many of you commenting on here have children, and how many of you have your child at your side every step of the way, every where? NONE of us do that!!! So quit pointing fingers my god, poor family!!!! This is unfortunate for everyone involved! My very sincere condolences to this visiting family who is going home minus a family member, a child at that!!! So sad.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 4:39 pm

LucyA, I will challenge you and anybody else that suggests some parents don't keep track of their kids all the time. My favorite saying is "nobody watches your kids like you do." I kept track of my kids, I keep track of my grand kids and any other children in my charge. Anybody that knows my history will confirm and tell you that is the truth. I take that responsibility very seriously. This was a tragedy, the kid was 2, there is NO excuse for him not having his hand held, period! NO EXCUSE!

• S KJune 10, 2014 - 6:15 pm

AMEN to that CD. And a big RIGHT ON!!!!! That merchant must feel horrible, but it was not THEIR FAULT.

• Dumb assesJune 10, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Actually Lucy I have a 2 year old myself who stays by my side every minute in public I don't use baby leash my child knows better than to act up on public I won't allow it, I hate going in public seeing parents they their kids go wild in public. Also the store the toddler died at/around didn't put that there as play equipment but as decoration r.i.p to the child let this be a lesson learned like all the other sensible commenters said

• rlw895June 11, 2014 - 5:32 am

Two observations, then I'm done. First, a parental or caretaker lapse does not absolve the shop that created a hazardous condition. Second, I can understand the lack of empathy displayed in many of these comments, but not the lack of sympathy. A little soul-searching is in order. From where does that come?

Labor Day not a holiday for everyone

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 5 Comments | Gallery

Labor Day breakfast introduces union-backed candidates

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Pool provides last dose of summer fun in the sun

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

SafeQuest schedules peer counseling training course

Fairfield police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 30, 2014

Fairfield police log: Aug. 30, 2014

VP Biden says workers deserve ‘fair share’

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 8 Comments | Gallery

Obama: ‘Revving’ economy calls for higher wages

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 12 Comments | Gallery

Senegal monitors contacts of 1st Ebola patient

San Francisco to be 1st to test urban farming law

By The Associated Press | From Page:

GOP challenger tries novel tactics against Brown

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 2 Comments | Gallery

US eating habits improve a bit – except among poor

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 5 Comments | Gallery

No gray area: Beliefs shape views of Brown killing

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Americans detained in North Korea call for US help

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Iraqi prime minister pledges to root out militants

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Poland’s PM: Ukraine’s war must be stopped now

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Pro-Russian rebels lower demands in peace talks

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 2 Comments | Gallery

US helicopter crashes in Gulf of Aden; all rescued

Community Calendar: Sept. 2, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Inquiries begin into nude celebrity photo leaks

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

‘Guardians’ tops Labor Day, summer box office

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Kirk rallies to win the Deutsche Bank

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Rockies top Giants after losing end of suspended game

Dunn homers in 1st at-bat as A’s top Mariners

Right guard Boone passes physical, rejoins 49ers

Raiders name rookie Derek Carr as starting QB

Armijo beats Vanden 2-0 to claim All-City boys soccer title

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Armed with new deal, Chiefs’ Smith looks forward

Column: Stewart’s Chase status doesn’t matter

Raiders ink CB Dowling, 9 others to practice squad

Serena Williams, Djokovic roll to US Open quarters

Houston Astros fire manager Bo Porter

Hamels, 3 Phillies relievers no-hit Braves

Markets drift as Wall Street has day off

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Austerity debate flares as Europe recovery fades

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 8 Comments | Gallery