Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Police: 2-year-old dies after statue falls on him

June 10, 2014 |

SAN FRANCISCO — A 2-year-old Utah boy was killed when a 6-foot-tall dolphin statue fell on him in the Fisherman’s Wharf area of San Francisco, police said Monday.

The toddler was apparently playing on Friday when he climbed up and wrapped his arms and legs around the heavy metal statue outside Majestic Collection Art Gallery, bringing it down, police spokesman Officer Gordon Shyy said.

The boy was initially treated for a nose bleed by emergency crews. He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he died from internal injuries a few hours later.

The medical examiner identified the boy as Kayson Shelton of Draper, Utah, about 20 miles south of Salt Lake City.

“It’s an unfortunate and tragic incident,” Shyy said.

The boy was visiting San Francisco with vacationing family members who were staying at a nearby hotel.

The store violated a city code and was cited for placing an object or merchandise on a sidewalk where it impedes pedestrian traffic, Shyy said. It was not known how much the statue weighed, he said.

Calls to the store on Monday were not immediately returned.

The family has returned home to Utah. A call to their residence on Monday was not immediately returned.

The Associated Press

The Associated Press

• just sayin'June 10, 2014 - 1:02 am

So Very Sad

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 6:25 am

This is tragic but one cannot help but wonder where the parents were?

• Dumb assesJune 10, 2014 - 7:03 am

Cd brooks that's what I'm wondering they must not have been paying attention if he had enough time to swing around on it & fall to the ground with it, I'm sure the statue has been there for a while but now of course they could get in trouble for having it infront of the store

• GemmaJune 10, 2014 - 7:08 am

Thank you for reading my mind. So not only did the parents not tell him "Don't touch" when he placed his hands on something that he shouldn't, he was ignored/not chastised long enough to wrap his arms around it and climb on it? Naturally, the store is now to blame, when imo, it's not their fault. Don't have kids if you're not going to watch them. If you've ever been shopping in Ut, you would know this behavior is par for the course there. Children "just being children", not reprimanded, and when they are, they're whispered to in such a calm voice it's pitiful. Of course I don't know that happened in this case, but that's what I think happened. I grew up around it for 18 years, and still witness it every time I go to Ut, which is a few times a year. May the child RIP, and let this be a lesson to people that you need to watch your kids!

• S KJune 10, 2014 - 7:16 am

Also my exact reaction when I heard this on the late night news. Sad for the kid, really too bad, but where the HECK were the parents??? At two years old kids are still stupidly being kids, especially the, "Terrible Twos." Hopefully the merchant won't be held responsible, the Parents should be. Of course attorneys are probably already contacting the Parents concerning a law suit. I'd love to be on that jury (THUMBS DOWN???).

• just sayin'June 10, 2014 - 7:21 am

Good to see so many people who Walk On Water. I did a search last night for more of the story. Seems it was illegally placed cheap 'art'. Yet for me, it is a sad loss of a young life. All the perfect people can worry about the rest.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 7:17 am

There is an ordinance that is supposed to keep displays closer to the shops. Apparently every one was pushing the limit and have now been told to move them back. This obviously should not have happened and I cannot imagine the family's grief. Let it be a lesson to pay attention to your kids at all times.

• P.J.June 10, 2014 - 9:09 am

Every one who commented is reading my mind too. I am amazed at how many parents in a store allow their kids to just run wild. Even in the military BX yesterday two kids were playing chase all over that store. Seems like they were telling their mother "catch me if you can". When she left the store both kids were in the shopping cart, but they were loud and rude. If some merchandise had fallen on them I'm sure the mother would sue the store!

• SKJune 10, 2014 - 11:01 am

Occasionally I have been in WalMart when the little unruly Aphids are running about (One reason my Wife has switched to Target), and I have actually yelled at them, "OUIT YOUR RUNNING!!!" Just hope that they could understand the English>>LOL

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 3:40 pm

I don't blame the parents. A kid can get into a bad spot in the blink of an eye. We're supposed to limit the number of bad spots where kids might be, not add them. This was what is know as an "attractive nuisance." It LOOKED like a play structure. How about putting a bunch of marbles out in a candy dish? It's tragic enough for the parents without loading more on them. The shop was in the wrong and will not only pay a fine, but also a settlement to the family via liability insurance.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 4:45 pm

rlw895, that a lousy excuse for lousy parenting, I don't care what anybody says. This was a baby for crying out loud! Never mind that's a crowded spot where imminent danger lurks on many levels and you let your baby wander loose? BS and shame on any of you that ill prepared to care for kids! GEEZ this pisses me off!

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Nonetheless, the business will be found liable.

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 5:02 pm

And a two-year-old is no longer a baby.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 5:16 pm

rlw895, and neither of your last two comments are conducive to the instruction of proper child care.

• rlw895June 10, 2014 - 10:15 pm

Perhaps not, but both are true.

• LucyAJune 10, 2014 - 3:51 pm

Ok, let's be real.....how many of you commenting on here have children, and how many of you have your child at your side every step of the way, every where? NONE of us do that!!! So quit pointing fingers my god, poor family!!!! This is unfortunate for everyone involved! My very sincere condolences to this visiting family who is going home minus a family member, a child at that!!! So sad.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 4:39 pm

LucyA, I will challenge you and anybody else that suggests some parents don't keep track of their kids all the time. My favorite saying is "nobody watches your kids like you do." I kept track of my kids, I keep track of my grand kids and any other children in my charge. Anybody that knows my history will confirm and tell you that is the truth. I take that responsibility very seriously. This was a tragedy, the kid was 2, there is NO excuse for him not having his hand held, period! NO EXCUSE!

• S KJune 10, 2014 - 6:15 pm

AMEN to that CD. And a big RIGHT ON!!!!! That merchant must feel horrible, but it was not THEIR FAULT.

• Dumb assesJune 10, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Actually Lucy I have a 2 year old myself who stays by my side every minute in public I don't use baby leash my child knows better than to act up on public I won't allow it, I hate going in public seeing parents they their kids go wild in public. Also the store the toddler died at/around didn't put that there as play equipment but as decoration r.i.p to the child let this be a lesson learned like all the other sensible commenters said

• rlw895June 11, 2014 - 5:32 am

Two observations, then I'm done. First, a parental or caretaker lapse does not absolve the shop that created a hazardous condition. Second, I can understand the lack of empathy displayed in many of these comments, but not the lack of sympathy. A little soul-searching is in order. From where does that come?

Library teens plan summer reading party

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Weather for Tuesday, July 29, 2014

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Big-rig driver strikes telephone lines in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Fairfield police log: July 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: June 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Caltrans makes I-80 lane change

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Fairfield tries to end Cordelia Road detour

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 9 Comments | Gallery

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ primed for big screen

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Sacramento Gold Rush Days canceled due to drought

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Annoying minor floods are increasing on US coasts

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Man charged in teen’s 9-month disappearance

Deal to improve veterans’ health care costs $17B

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Suspect dead, 2 marshals and cop wounded in NYC

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

New fears about Ebola spread after plane scare

In Iraq’s Mosul, radicals unleash their vision

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Fighting in Ukraine prompts residents to flee

Israeli PM warns of prolonged campaign in Gaza war

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Witnesses: Thunderstorm hit beach without warning

Suspect’s mom also charged in Long Beach burglary

City: Emails show ‘cozy’ ties of PG&E, regulator

Pool water dumped in South Tahoe; resort fires 3

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Additional charge filed in California wildfire

By The Associated Press | From Page:

California governor takes dig at Texas guard plan

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 2 Comments | Gallery

Editorial cartoons for July 29, 2014

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page:

Horoscopes for July 29, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

Today in History for July 29, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page:

I don’t want to have intimate contact since learning I had a STD

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page:

Community Calendar: July 29, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Kevin Bacon brings his ‘Six Degrees’ to Comic-Con

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

‘Sharknado’ sequel has bite and lots of laughs

By Frazier Moore | From Page: | Gallery

TVGrid July 29

Giants lose 5th straight, 5-0 to Pirates

Lakers finally confirm Byron Scott is new coach

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Raiders relying on healthy Watson to solidify line

This date in sports history for Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Quarterback Johnny Manziel’s day at Browns camp

Judge OKs record-setting $2B sale of Clippers

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Humphrey to savor Hall of Fame day with ‘wingman’

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Rays’ Archer: ‘Never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat’

Reed HOF induction gives Bills cause to celebrate

In the Pits: Gordon eyeing 5th title after big Brickyard win

By Jenna Fryer | From Page: | Gallery

Marketing agreement an obstacle in US bid for 2024

Sailors to navigate dirty water in 1st Rio test

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Manningham back with Giants, with no guarantees

Contracts to buy US homes slip in June

FAA proposes to fine Southwest Airlines $12M

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Stocks pause as traders await key economic news

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Zillow buying Trulia to build real estate titan

Dollar Tree steps up fight, buys Family Dollar