SAN JOSE — A Catholic bishop in San Jose has apologized to worshippers for allowing a registered sex offender to volunteer at a school festival last month.
Diocese of San Jose Bishop Patrick McGrath told the St. Frances Cabrini congregation during Sunday mass that he takes full responsibility and promised to make sure it never happens again, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
McGrath said it was “a failure at the diocese level” that gave a permission letter to a convicted child molester Mark Christopher Gurries to volunteer at the parish festival. The bishop didn’t explain how or why a letter was written and signed by someone at the dioceses.
Someone at the elementary school festival recognized Gurries, 51, and reported it to a security officer. The convicted molester was escorted off campus.