Sterling loses appeal to block sale of LA Clippers

By From page B2 | August 14, 2014

LOS ANGELES — A California appeals court has shot down Donald Sterling’s latest effort to block the $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

The 2nd Appellate District Court issued a brief ruling Wednesday saying there was nothing it could do because the team had been sold.

Ballmer closed the deal Tuesday after a probate court judge cleared the way for Sterling’s estranged wife to sell the team.

The judge said Shelly Sterling had properly removed her husband from the family trust that owned the team after he was banned from the NBA for making derogatory remarks about blacks.

Ballmer’s lawyer says Clippers nation rejoices with the latest blow to the unpopular former owner, who bought the team in 1981 for $12 million.


The Associated Press

The Associated Press


Discussion | No comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.