Aaron Hernandez’s cousin pleads not guilty to contempt

By June 04, 2014

Tanya Singleton

Tanya Singleton, cousin of former New England Patriots NFL football player Aaron Hernandez, enters Suffolk Superior Court Monday, June 2, 2014 in Boston, where she pleaded not guilty to a criminal contempt of court charge. Prosecutors said she refused to testify before a grand jury investigating Hernandez's alleged role in a double slaying in Boston, even though she'd been granted immunity. Prosecutors said the SUV used in the shooting was stored at her home in Bristol, Conn. A judge ordered her confined to her home, with GPS tracking to medical appointments. Singleton is being treated for breast cancer. (AP Photo/Boston Herald, Ted Fitzgerald, Pool)

BOSTON — A cousin of former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty Monday to a criminal contempt of court charge.

Tanya Singleton, 38, appeared at the Suffolk Superior Court in Massachusetts after refusing to testify before a grand jury, despite being granted immunity, in the investigation of Hernandez’s alleged role in a 2012 double slaying in Boston’s South End.

Singleton had “relative and material information” about the investigation, including the SUV that was allegedly used in the drive-by shooting of Daniel de Abreu, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28, prosecutor Pat Haggan said. Investigators found the SUV at her home in Bristol, Connecticut, covered in dust and cobwebs, authorities said.

The victims’ families have filed wrongful-death lawsuits against the former tight end seeking $6 million each. The two men, who did not know Hernandez before that night, were gunned down in their car after leaving a nightclub. A third man was wounded in that attack.

Hernandez, 24, was charged last week in the double homicide, which happened shortly before he signed a five-year, $40 million contract and went on to catch 51 passes and score five touchdowns during the 2012 NFL season.

He also faces murder charges in the death of Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who was killed in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, in June 2013. Two of his associates, Carlos Ortiz and Ernest Wallace, also have been indicted on murder charges in that case. All three have pleaded not guilty.

Singleton’s lawyer, E. Peter Parker, would not comment Monday outside court. He previously called her prosecution “aggressive and unnecessary.”

A judge ordered her confined to her home with GPS tracking and required her to make weekly phone calls to her probation officer. Singleton, who is being treated for breast cancer, is allowed to go to medical appointments.

She is due back in court on July 15 for a pretrial hearing.


The Associated Press

The Associated Press


Discussion | No comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.