FAIRFIELD-SUISUN, CALIFORNIA

Medical Profiles 2014

Medical Profiles 2014: Larry S. Posner, M.D.

By From page HCP5 | June 29, 2014

Dr. Larry Posner

Dr. Larry Posner does more than treat people for allergies, though he certainly does that through his North Bay Allergy and Asthma clinic in Napa.

He started North Bay Clinical Trials Inc. in Napa about 12 years ago. He does trials for allergic disease and asthma, using drugs that are candidates for Federal Drug Administration approval. In some cases, drugs have been approved for one use and are now being looked at for another use.

Those taking part in the clinical trials get free medication and ongoing physician care, Posner said.

“It gives a chance for people to be able to utilize drugs before they’re actually approved, particularly people who have tried the usual therapies and they’re not effective,” Posner said.

He stressed that the safety issue involving the medications is the priority.

The clinical research is an offshoot of his practice, Posner said. He became interested in trying to stay ahead of the curve. Existing best treatments control asthma for 70 percent of patients, leaving a gap of 30 percent, he said.

People still go to the emergency rooms every day with asthma. Eight to nine people in the United States die daily from asthma, he said.

Posner became interested in treating asthma and allergies because of his pediatrician training. He saw the ailments as being a frequent problem. Up to 18 percent of children at some point before they grow up will experience asthma.

“It’s a common and increasing area of concern, as is allergies,” Posner said.

Posner holds a bachelor of science degree in cybernetics from the University of California, Los Angeles and a medical degree from the University of Southern California Medical School. He did his residency in pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine. He did his fellowship in allergy and clinical immunology at the University of California, San Francisco.

Larry S. Posner, M.D.

  • Clinical Allergist-Immunologist
  • North Bay Clinical Trials Inc.
  • 1100 Pear Tree Lane. Napa
  • 707-258-8147
Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.
LEAVE A COMMENT

Discussion | No comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.