Sound off for Sept. 22, 2013
Last week, we asked whether readers agreed with legislation allowing illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses.
Here are some responses to that question:
- No, but the voice of the majority doesn’t matter anymore in California.
- Why don’t we give door keys to burglars? Or safe combinations to safe crackers? Or guns to bank robbers? Madness! The merry band of thieves in Sacramento must be voted out at the first opportunity.
- It’s a ploy to make it easier to vote for the Demos, that’s what’s really behind it.
- The only reason for not allowing driver’s licenses is it somehow “rewards” illegal activity. Conservatives are big into punishment, let alone giving “rewards” to criminals. But if you don’t look at it as a reward, but something that is good for the rest of us, the calculus changes. We already treat illegal immigrants as a different class of criminal. Illegals don’t want to break any other laws, so they will get insurance, take the license tests, and pay all the related fees and taxes.
- They became criminals the moment they illegally came across the border. So you do not reward criminal behavior. First step, jail. Second step, a ride back home. A longer and longer jail term the next time! But I do feel differently about the children of those that were brought here when they were very young. It is not their fault. And many if not most of them do not even know they are illegally here.