Sound off for July 6, 2014

By From page A10 | July 06, 2014

Last week, we asked whether – in light of the high fire danger – Suisun City should reconsider selling fireworks.

Here are some comments from our website:

• No one should have fireworks, period. They’re too dangerous and put all of our homes at risk.
  • Everyone remembers cities in California are broke, right? Come up with replacement revenue.
  • Yes, they should stop the sale anytime there is a higher danger of fire. No one should lose their home or belongings just so others can have a few minutes of personal fun. That is just irresponsible behavior.
  • They should not be stopped. I don’t recall a recent situation locally where fireworks were the cause of fires?
  • These fireworks are just sparklers and fountain showers. Quite boring, if you ask me. So unless the person is lighting them in a field of dead grass, I don’t see a problem.

• BobJuly 06, 2014 - 5:55 am

Industrial grade fire works were going off over my home in Quail Glen until after 1:00 am, bigger than downtowns. No police to answer calls for help, they are all downtown, how is that a smart move? This needs to be rethought, if fireworks are held again then bring in the sheriff, Fairfield police to help work downtown, and have our police go through the neighborhoods to arrest the ones firing illegal fireworks. If they put my live and my families lives at danger is it self defense to respond when one of their illegal rockets go wrong and come right at you down the street where you are using "safe and sane"? I saw it almost happen when guns came out Better think twice before we let this happen again

• S KJuly 06, 2014 - 10:32 am

The fire's origin is still unknown, the article says. I'd say, Columbo or Adrian Monk isn't needed to figure this one out. Even Ray Charles could have seen it. Come on, 4th of July weekend>>>FIREWORKS, legal or ILLEGAL, both bad IMO. Let just hope that remnants of the, "SaFe & Sane," variety sold in Suisun, weren't the cause. If so, Suisun ought to be held liable IMO!!!!!!! The same probably is the cause of all if not most of the fires in the news. All of them should be ILLEGAL, and the use of ANY should result in a 30 day lock up in the county jail. Don't like or agree with my comments, then turn your head AWAY!!!!!!!

• S KJuly 06, 2014 - 10:34 am

P.S. I was referring to the Collinsville fire, as well as others all over.

• CD BrooksJuly 06, 2014 - 11:44 am

Bob, the mantra "lack of resources" is code for extortion. You want more? You're going to have to pay for it. Not sure what we're paying for all ready but apparently it isn't enough. Sorry, that's how it looks.

• SKJuly 06, 2014 - 12:17 pm

Yup CD, every 4th Jul, looks as though we will just have to grin and bare it and jump off our sofas every time an M80 or a stick of dynamite goes off. I was over at a new musician friends place yesterday, who has three dogs that I could see, over in Fairfield, one of them a HUGE 8 yr. old German Shepard and the dogs had gotten so scared that the OLD guy injured his leg. Up to me, they'd get that 30 day lock up, NO LESS!!!! By the way, you won't be seeing me in here much longer. After yesterdays paper, the front "A' section, 5 full pages of Ads out of 12, my Wife actually agreed with me, we are not renewing. I was due to pay the next three months this week, but will call and tell them that I am not renewing after being a subscriber for over 37 yrs. I mean five full pages of ads out of the 12 in the main section, ridiculous. The advertisers ought to pick up the cost of our subscriptions, and we ought to get it for FREE or near FREE>>IMO. We'll get our news elsewhere, Buddy.

• CD BrooksJuly 06, 2014 - 12:33 pm

Hey SK, I get that. I usually don't read the paper except in the on line version. My wife likes to enjoy it while having her morning coffee and waiting for the grand kids. I doubt we'll be cancelling and I am just getting used to not looking for it on Tuesday! But I am concerned about how much longer it will last...

• SKJuly 06, 2014 - 12:36 pm

Yeah basically we've, or I anyway, have kept it for the Sunday advertisements, sales, etc. but like my Wife has learned on her IPad, you can go to any stores .com site, look for your local store and check on that weeks sale items, etc. So that's it for us, buddy. Adios Amigo :-)

• CD BrooksJuly 06, 2014 - 11:45 am

C'MON! SURELY SOMEBODY HERE MUST HAVE SEEN OR HEARD OF PEOPLE SOMEWHERE IN FAIRFIELD GETTING BUSTED FOR USING FIREWORKS????

• JokerJuly 06, 2014 - 1:08 pm

Problem is there were no illigal fireworks set off close to a Starbucks, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

• JagJuly 06, 2014 - 6:14 pm

just check police log for 4th of July not one arrest for fireworks, What do you know.

• S KJuly 06, 2014 - 6:22 pm

That's cause they were all too busy in the nearest donut shop. Ray Charles could have looked around and seen/heard M80s & such going off from one side of both Suisun & Fairfield to the other. they could have cited or dragged the law breakers down to lock up by the patty wagon full, but they also just ignore the law.

• streetJuly 06, 2014 - 6:51 pm

Police logs don't show arrests or citations. I would imagine both police departments were very busy that night.

• CD BrooksJuly 07, 2014 - 5:58 am

street, it seems odd that nobody reading here at least to this point, has seen or heard of anybody getting called out for fireworks. Maybe PD should post a list as they do for DUI so we know they actually cited or arrested offenders.

Special Publications »