Friday, August 29, 2014

Time to pay attention

britton column sig

From page A11 | June 27, 2014 |

What’s happening now in California?

Currently, Democrat state Sen. Roderick Wright is on paid leave – rather than being expelled – from the Legislature after being convicted by a Los Angeles jury of eight felonies related to campaign fraud. Democrat state Sen. Rod Calderon also went on paid leave to face more than 20 felony counts of bribery, money laundering and fraud. Democrat state Sen. Leland Yee, a gun-control advocate, was indicted in March for conspiring to commit wire fraud and traffic weapons, and he still received more than 300,000 votes in June.

There’s more.

The California Bureau of State Audits announced that the State Controller’s Office made a $31.6 billion accounting misstatement. To provide perspective on the size of those accounting misstatements discovered, the $31.65 billion in errors equals about a third of California’s $96.3 billion general fund budget for 2013-14.

Gov. Jerry Brown continues to defy the courts and public opinion in pursuit of his bullet Train to nowhere dream. Total costs for the project could surpass $100 billion, and so far, no interested private sector investors. It’s all up to taxpayers.

How did we get to this point and what can we do about it? Here’s some food for thought:

“. . . (I)f the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizen will be violated or disregarded.” That’s from Noah Webster (1758-1843).

Our U.S. Constitution begins with the words, “We the People,” and the responsibility for this mess rests with us. That includes you and me. Yes, it’s vitally important that we exercise our right to vote, but it is equally important that citizens make every effort to become informed voters.

Pay close attention to important issues, local, state and national. Pay attention to candidates, their qualifications, their integrity, the current legislators and the laws they promote or oppose. Actions speak louder than words every time. Don’t be duped by slick mailers and ads.

What are the issues? They include: water, energy policy, taxation, transportation, education, health care, regulation, preserving individual rights, local control, immigration and more.

How can we become more informed? Where to start? Pick an issue. Let’s say, education. What’s happening locally and why? Read the paper, attend school board meetings, talk with parents, teachers, students, administrators, state representatives. Learn more about Common Core. Ask questions and evaluate the answers you get with what you know. Do research online. Look for reputable authorities and sources.

Here are some suggestions for starters, then build your own list.

Conservative Think Tanks and Research Centers

• Heritage Foundation: www.heritage.org. Sign up for email updates.
  • Cato Institute: www.cato.org. Sign up for email updates.
  • Hoover Institution: www.hoover.org.

California Legislation and Legislators

• Legislative Information: www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Search and track current bills.
  • State Senate: www.senate.ca.gov. Includes contact information, committee members, calendar, etc.
  • State Assembly: www.assembly.ca.gov. Includes members, committees, calendar, etc.
  • Around the Capital: www.aroundthecapitol.com. Includes California legislative information, ballot measures and daily editorial summaries.

Specific Issue Sites

What’s Happening in California Today?

• California Political News & Views: www.capoliticalnews.com. Sign up for email updates. This is a must read.

Education

• Education Week: www.edweek.org

Weather/Climate Science

• Watts Up with That?: www.wattsupwiththat.com

Immigration

• Center for Immigration Studies: www.cis.org

Compare ideas. Decide for yourself. Share what you learn. It’s not easy, but we can do it. We are Americans! November is coming. Pay attention Make a difference.

Colleen Britton of Vacaville is president of the Vaca Valley Tea Party. Reach her by email at vacatpp@gmail.com.

Colleen Britton

• Jason KnowlesJune 27, 2014 - 1:17 am

Colleen, how can you ask that citizens stay informed when, aside from the url's of the state government, the only information you want them to read is that which confirms your own biases? In order to be truly informed, it helps to read things with which you disagree because often times, the other side is right and you are wrong. As a teacher, I'd expect you to know that.

• mike kirchubelJune 27, 2014 - 6:18 am

I have much the same comment as Jason. Good article except for the part where you say "Look for reputable authorities and sources" and then list a bunch of partisan propaganda factories. That was just sad. Do you really believe these factories are "reputable?" Because that would be even sadder.

• Mr. PracticalJune 27, 2014 - 6:24 am

And your columns are not propaganda?

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 10:37 am

Mr.P: Maybe we need to define propaganda. Webster says "ideas or statements that are often false or exaggerated and that are spread in order to help a cause, a political leader, a government, etc." I'd say Mike's columns are not propaganda, as a rule, though you might find a few instances.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 6:10 am

I prefer this definition... "derogatory information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view." Using either, Mike is guilty in every column by incorrectly interpreting his "facts" and/or by omission of other facts that matter.

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 8:56 am

Mr.P: I do hope you will point that out to us in his next column.

• mike kirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 11:06 am

Or in any previous column. It sounds like you just discovered a new term and you are trying to use it in a sentence. Please, search away and let us know what you find.

• mike kirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 11:13 am

Maybe you could warm up by examining Coleen's article, above. You might find some good examples right there.

• mike kirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 11:26 am

For example, raise your hand if you thought that Colleen's $31.6 billion accounting misstatement meant that we were in the hole for that amount. Now raise your hand if you thought there were both pluses and minuses in that total. Now raise your hand if you understood that there were more pluses, than minuses in that total amount of bookkeeping errors. Probably not many of you in that last group. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

• Mike KirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 12:19 pm

Any comments on the $31.6 billion? That was the first item I checked, using my phone. I found the rightwing sites using that and then followed it to the source, commenting on the state auditors, which, very incidentally, are both Democrat and Republican. Anything to add, Mr. P, or do you want to deflect to "paraphrasing" again?

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 12:28 pm

Mike: I think it's fair to say that in the context of the column, Coleen was presenting only enough facts for us to thing it was something to be concerned about. If it's not, then her statement is an example of propaganda. Not a lie, but a biased presentation of fact. Tell us more about the $31.6 billion.

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 12:29 pm

*think

• Mike KirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 1:06 pm

Would either you, or Mr P, call Colleen's little factoid: "derogatory information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view." ?

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 1:14 pm

I wasn't deflecting the first time. You brought it up. I don't know enough about the audit issue to have an opinion.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 11:27 am

Mike, pointing it would not matter. You would categorically deny it anyway. I totally get that fragile egos have a hard time admitting fault. But jeez, you still won't acknowledge that you misuse the term "paraphrasing" in your Will Rogers quote.

• Mike KirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 12:13 pm

How so? The term "paraphrasing" has several definitions: par·a·phrase "/ˈparəˌfrāz/ verb: paraphrase; 3rd person present: paraphrases; past tense: paraphrased; past participle: paraphrased; gerund or present participle: paraphrasing 1. express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity. "you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts" synonyms: reword, rephrase, put/express in other words, rewrite, gloss "the reporter was not quoting directly but paraphrasing her remarks" noun: paraphrase; plural noun: paraphrases 1. a rewording of something written or spoken by someone else. synonyms: rewording, rephrasing, rewriting, rewrite, rendition, rendering, gloss "

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 12:46 pm

That's the definition all right. I can't even remember what you said.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 1:07 pm

Mike, the common use of "paraphrasing" is to use your own words to communicate someone else's meaning and intent. Your Roger's faux paus changes the entire meaning and intent. A better description is that you made a play on Rogers' quote.

• Mr. SmithJune 27, 2014 - 11:07 am

Mike and Jason: What part of "........build your own list," don't you comprehend? Or are you so blinded by partisanship that your eyes refused to transmit those grapics to your brain for interpretation? Good job, Colleen.

• Mr. SmithJune 27, 2014 - 11:11 am

Oops! Add rlw895 to the "none so blind" list. Tsk, tsk.

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 11:45 am

Mr.S: I see fine. Is "then build your own list" supposed to neutralize "suggestions for starters?"

• Mr. SmithJune 27, 2014 - 12:03 pm

".........as those who will not see." Yes, rlw, they were SUGGESTED starting points, not commandments. And your list contains some real objective, fact-laden, aggressively reported sources. Hoo-hah! The NYT? It's ok if you don't want to read about anything embarassing to Obama. They don't print it!!!

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 12:24 pm

Mr.S: We've both had our say. We should leave it to the readers to decide who is blind.

• Mr. SmithJune 27, 2014 - 2:04 pm

Fair enough, rlw. But it will be a "blindly partison" decision, in any event. That is the way things are these days, with a Divider-in-Chief in office. People are resigned to it, however, knowing that this, too, shall pass.

• Afraid of ReprisalsJune 27, 2014 - 6:34 am

As could be expected, two of the persistent bum dope artists immediately attack this informative, useful work. If they had their way, sources cited in the article would be silenced.

• Tommy ChongJune 27, 2014 - 6:46 am

Who you calling a dope artist man?

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 10:38 am

Not silenced, just find no audience.

• Jason KnowlesJune 27, 2014 - 1:21 pm

And again, Crutchfield ads nothing to the discussion, hides behind a fake name, and uses name-calling to make a point. Such a sad, angry man...

• Afraid of ReprisalsJune 27, 2014 - 1:59 pm

That’s Mr. Crutchfield to you, young man. And your condescending putdown of Ms. Britton is just fine? Since I remember the physical threat you made toward me, I chose to use an alias. Didn’t fool anyone, anyway.

• Jason KnowlesJune 27, 2014 - 2:09 pm

Where and when did I out HER down, Mr. Crutchfield? I questioned her point, not her personally. As for the threats, I apologize. That was wrong of me. If you'd just stop the childish name-calling, please. It's unnecessary.

• FDCJune 27, 2014 - 2:42 pm

Thank you, Mr. Knowles, accepted. I interpreted the following statement by you as a "putdown.": "...often times, the other side is right and you are wrong. As a teacher, I'd expect you to know that." You must agree that at the least that statement is a little snarky. In any case, we are on a new footing, I hope. Just so you know, I consider it to be my job to poke holes in arguments I consider wrong and to try to take some of the wind out of the sails of people I consider to be blowing smoke. In particular, a couple of people on this site, not including you, I consider to prize their own intellects and abilities far beyond reality and I enjoy jabbing at them every chance I get. I do submit a letter every so often so I do consider myself qualified to take jabs at other writers. Again, thank you and let's hope for more reasonable debate from me, and you, in future.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 3:21 pm

FDC, glad you boys go that hugged out. Now about your statement "Just so you know, I consider it to be my job to poke holes in arguments I consider wrong and to try to take some of the wind out of the sails of people I consider to be blowing smoke." It's one thing to opine and discuss, but entirely another to deny in the face of facts. I don't see anything here about bringing facts to your argument? Because you never do. If you're going to "poke holes Sir," and deny the truth evident before you, at least have the proper information as a tool to do so. Thank you. Hugs...

• FDCJune 27, 2014 - 5:04 pm

You're blowing smoke, big guy.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 5:06 pm

FDC, there you go, thank you. Have a nice evening.

• mike kirchubelJune 27, 2014 - 5:19 pm

I can't recall Crutchfield ever poking any holes in anything. Unless he considers calling people names as a form of poking. Kind of a low threshold, though.

• FDCJune 27, 2014 - 5:45 pm

Tell me again, Mr. Kirchubel how deliberately altering the words of someone to present a false statement is "paraphrasing." Tell me again how official California government sites are "...a bunch of partisan propaganda factories." Need any more?

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 5:53 pm

I think that's the whole list, and Mike has rebutted you time and again. We don't need to hear any more.

• FDCJune 27, 2014 - 6:00 pm

rlw895, not to belabor the point, but Mr. Kirchubel said none, and off the top of my head I immediately supplied two without even having to look. Sort of punches a hole in your post. Enough of this baloney, guys. You don't like me and I don't like you. Nothing more to say.

• CD BrooksJune 28, 2014 - 6:25 am

FDC, we have never met and I don't know you well enough to say I don't like you. I don't like that you call me out and never offer a valid argument to my comments, but that is how you "poke holes" I suppose? You don't like my politics or religious points of view and that is okay, but you don't know me. My favorite line ever on these boards is Mr. Practical's and I quote him often: "If we met we'd have more respect for each other." That's the truth as I've discovered.

• FDCJune 28, 2014 - 6:56 am

You are right, CD. I let loose a general blast when I should have been more specific. I should have limited my "do not like" words to Mr. Kirchubel and rlw895. As I sneak in a comment every now and then, I still like you, sort of. By the way, why do comment writers who oppose me castigate me for using an alias but never, NEVER do the same for rlw895? Is he exempt from criticism? Why?

• CD BrooksJune 28, 2014 - 7:07 am

FDC, I just like messing with you. Your style is too specific and nobody uses the finer language skills you possess! ;)

• JagJune 28, 2014 - 8:06 am

@FDC A question is not a put down so here goes, Are you a drama queen? I mean you already got an apology from Mr. Knowles and now you are mixing it up with RW and CD?

• mike kirchubelJune 28, 2014 - 9:52 am

Crutchfield, perhaps it is because RLW doesn't use this forum to call people names and hide behind an alias. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• mike kirchubelJune 27, 2014 - 7:57 pm

Well, Crutchfield, to your first "point," that is a definition of the word, paraphrasing, and as to "point" number two, i was refering to the propaganda factories. I would like to say, "nice try" but, alas, it is not.

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 10:29 pm

So it's still "none." And "off top of my head" my eye. It's FDC's whole list that he has brought up repeatedly. Now come up with something new, FDC, and that would be interesting. Otherwise, thank you for signing off.

• Afraid of ReprisalsJune 27, 2014 - 6:51 am

I will try again. For some reason DR truncated the first try, as follows: Interesting comments: Mr. Knowles says the author wants the reader to read "that which confirms your [the author's] own biases." Mr. Kirchubel asserts the author lists " a bunch of partisan propaganda factories." Their broad-brush condemnation of Ms. Brittain's work includes "Legislative Information: www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Search and track current bills. State Senate: www.senate.ca.gov. Includes contact information, committee members, calendar, etc. State Assembly: www.assembly.ca.gov. Includes members, committees, calendar, etc. Around the Capital: www.aroundthecapitol.com. Includes California legislative information, ballot measures and daily editorial summaries." Is it not curious that the nay-sayers describe official state government sources as biased, partisan propaganda factories? (JK did qualify his attaqck just a little.) I guess K&K leveled their blasts without thinking it through. Their entire condemnation, therefore, stinks.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 7:00 am

Colleen, this is an interesting article. Thank you for reminding us we need to get out and vote! :)

• JagJune 27, 2014 - 9:25 am

we the people is much bigger then us the TEA party, the people in California like to bigger government so let the voters continue to go down this path I just ask congress to pass a bill (no bail out for California) if they go bankrupt

• SalJune 27, 2014 - 9:33 am

Colleen Would you care to comment on the travesties of war and expenditure by Bush and Cheney, which left this country in a disaster from which we still haven't been able to crawl out of? Or are they out of your league since you are picking on small Democratic fries?

• T. DonaldsonJune 27, 2014 - 10:15 am

Colleen, I thought this was an excellent piece. I truly believe that most people don't educate themselves on the issues. They vote the way some celebrity tells them to vote or they look at headlines and not read the whole article. As for your detractors they should note that you are a guest columnist and it clearly states that you are with the Tea Party, so of course you will recommend sources you trust. Instead of slinging mud some of these people should become a guest columnist or cite sources that they prefer.

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 10:55 am

For facts: PBS, NPR, AP, New York Times, Washington Post, peer-reviewed articles and books, fact-check sites. For opinions, go anywhere you like, but understand they are offering up opinions. If they also offer up facts to back up their opinion, check them out. If the facts are false or misleadingly presented, don’t trust that source of opinion and move on.

• Afraid of ReprisalsJune 27, 2014 - 11:47 am

rlw895: PBS?, NPR?, AP?, New York Times? Washington Post? For Facts? Give me a break! Every one of those so-called news sources is so heavily oriented toward the left as to make your post ludicrous.

• mike kirchubelJune 27, 2014 - 12:10 pm

Mr. Afraid, i'm sure that from where you sit, the facts seem very far to the left. Maybe you should consider sitting elsewhere. You'll get a better view.

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 12:28 pm

mike: Exactly. If you're sitting way to the right of center, the center looks left.

• JagJune 27, 2014 - 5:34 pm

RW , Maybe those stations report the facts but there are two sides and so two sides of facts and maybe these stations only report one side but still facts, so we think of them as left leaning as for the mainstream republicans we have the house we could of defunded Obama care but because of the left leaning republicans it did not even come up for a vote that is why to us the center looks like the left, I hope the Tea party puts a candidate up for speaker of the house and either all the republican’s vote for him/her or you have a split vote and Nancy Pelosi wins, I am P.O about Mississippi and it is time for the right to have an all-out war from within,

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 5:51 pm

Jag: I'll add ABC, CBS, NBC, most other major newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about facts, but I believe what facts and how facts are reported is important. You do have to look behind the facts to see if there is a bias. But there is only one set of facts. As for the infighting of the Right, the Republicans brought it upon themselves because they couldn't win any other way than by encouraging the tea party groups. They have built a coalition of anti-liberal groups for a long time. This is just the most recent manifestation. It should make you wonder what the Republican Party really stands for anymore at its core, OTHER than being anti-liberal. Moderate Republicans have had few places to go, but they are moving steadily towards the Democrats. I myself left the GOP in the early 90s.

• JagJune 27, 2014 - 7:23 pm

That kind of is my point I think there is a bias on both sides, for example let’s take this IRS thing and Louis has taken the 5th Fox is going to report she is taking the 5th because she is hiding something with this new email now, NPR may report she is taking the 5th because it is the normal course of action to protect yourself.. They are both facts but NPR will not report she is hiding and FOX wont report it is the normal course of action. So of course us the right think there is more to the story and no one is reporting it that is why we say they are all left leaning company’s,

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 10:26 pm

Jag: No, they are not both facts. Fox is expressing an opinion that she is hiding something. It is a fact that taking the 5th is normal when your are asked to testify when you are under investigation. It MAY be true she is hiding something, but it also may not be true. It's not a fact.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 5:59 am

rlw, in Jag's scenario NPR was also speculating as to why she pleading the 5th. Actually, neither is fact. That shouldn't detract from Jag's point, which is valid.

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 9:02 am

Mr.P: No good lawyer would allow his client to testify before a congressional committee when that client is also under a criminal investigation for the same subject. That's a fact.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 11:17 am

T. Donaldson, I have personally brought facts to dispel the incredibly bizarre and misinformed lies and misinterpretations from the right for years. What do I get in return? A bunch of folks that prefer to believe their own sources that made them wrong to begin with. This is a merry-go-round of ign*rance from the Republicans. It is truly unnecessary because the truth is easily available.

• Afraid of ReprisalsJune 27, 2014 - 11:51 am

CD: "What do I [CD] get in return?" CD, you get what you deserve: nothing. And don't strain your arm patting yourself on your back.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 11:54 am

Afraid of Reprisals, we've covered this ground before. You and everyone else know the truth. No point trying to make me look bad. I think you must be nearing your 10th alias by now?

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 11:58 am

T. Donaldson see? Right on cue. I rest my case.

• T. DonaldsonJune 27, 2014 - 1:29 pm

CD Brooks did Colleen not state facts in the beginning re: Sen. Wright, Sen. Calderon, and Sen. Yee? also is it not a fact that re: the state audit? Isn't true that public opinion has turned against the bullet train to no where? I researched it before I voted against it, I believe most people voted for it because it was heavily advertised as creating jobs. But how it is ever going to turn a profit with these starting costs? The route is not a route that will be create riders, so will it be further subsidized by taxpayers? Can California really afford this train? You surely cannot disagree with the point of this article which is to inform yourself. I applaud Colleen for writing it. Just because she is a Tea party member does not take away from the truth that people need to educate themselves before voting.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 1:56 pm

T. Donaldson, 1st for the record, I am against the bullet train. I was responding to your comment "Instead of slinging mud some of these people should become a guest columnist or cite sources that they prefer." I simply explained my experience with presenting factual information and you've all ready seen evidence of my dilemma. Enjoy.

• CD BrooksJune 27, 2014 - 2:17 pm

Ms. Britton, "Conservative Think Tanks and Research Centers" is an oxy-moron...

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 11:01 am

I agree with many of the comments here. Coleen does a good job up until directing the reader to sources of information. Disappointing.

• SIMPLE SOLUTIONJune 27, 2014 - 2:39 pm

don't vote for liberal democrats

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 5:58 pm

Yes, vote for moderates of both parties in the primaries. Then we will start to heal as a nation. I will vote for a moderate Republican over a liberal Democrat from time to time. I haven't had much choice lately.

• Wish they knew more...June 27, 2014 - 2:47 pm

The trouble is....this will not get anywhere. Why? For all of those commenting here, how many of your neighbors get the newspaper? How many come online to the DR to read the stories? How many watch the news, whether it's FOX or CNN? Then ask them who's on Dancing with the Stars or The Voice. That will speak volumnes about what's important to them.

• newshawkJune 27, 2014 - 3:09 pm

who IS on dancing with the stars?????

• SalJune 27, 2014 - 3:40 pm

Hillary 2014, shut the hell up Colleen....

• rlw895June 27, 2014 - 6:01 pm

Wish: That's the good part of Coleen's column. You've given all here a challenge.

• HuckleberryJune 28, 2014 - 5:13 am

Most of the commentators have complained about the school board but yet when she advises that you may want to attend school board meetings you dismiss everything she suggested. RLW is disappointed and CD, who BTW only comment is he liked the golf course because it served him, leads me to ascertain that all you guys really just like to complain. So what if she belongs to the tea party. .How about getting your head out of your armpit and do the things that you have been complaining about.

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 5:35 am

With respect, you don't know what you're talking about because evidently you don't know me.

• CD BrooksJune 28, 2014 - 6:12 am

Huckleberry, you should read your comment. Where did you find golf courses in this article or my responses to it?

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 6:57 am

It was a good week in the California legislature and courts.... Lois Wolk's bill, SB 1021, which would have allowed school districts to asses the property tax at double the residential rate, was defeated. Mark Leno's SB 935 also died in the labor committee. This bill would have increased the minimum wage 62% over the next 3 years. In a huge victory for businesses, the California Supreme Court ruled against a suit brought against Target that would have held them liable for the death of a 48 year old woman that died in one of their stores. The basis of the suit is that the store should have had a defibrillator available and staff trained to administer its use.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 7:05 am

Correction on SB 1021.... it would have allowed Commercial Property to be taxed at double the residential rate.

• JagJune 28, 2014 - 7:55 am

Thanks Mr. P I had heard about the Target but not the other ones, The bad news is cities are starting to do it on their own, San Francisco will have a $15 wage on the ballot in November I know Richmond and Oakland are working on the same thing to, Where I work we have a mix of Salary and hourly employees we also have a facility in Los Angeles I have little doubt that the 200 hourly employees jobs will be ship to Los Angeles if they are making $9.50 compared to $15 in S,F

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 8:03 am

Jag, I believe Richmond already approved $13 and Oakland is on the November ballot at $12.25. San Francisco should keep a close eye on Seattle. Businesses are already to starting to relocate out of the city limits.

• Rick WoodJune 28, 2014 - 9:13 am

Mr.P: I believe that was for parcel taxes, not property taxes. And I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to have higher school parcel taxes on nonresidential property. The law should allow lower parcel taxes, not higher, on nonresidential property. The law now requires a parcel to be taxed the same as all others or exempted entirely.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 9:19 am

Rick, that's correct. Parcel, not property. Thanks. In either case, it's would raise rents for nearly all small business at a time when most are still struggling.

• Rick WoodJune 28, 2014 - 9:29 am

Mr.P: I have no trouble leaving the law on parcel taxes alone, except the vote should be reduced to 55% for parcel taxes related to facilities maintenance, rehabilitation, modernization, or replacement. The requirement for school construction bonds supported by property taxes has already been reduced to 55%, and it doesn't make sense that a tax to maintain facilities still requires 66.7%.

• Mr. PracticalJune 28, 2014 - 9:07 am

Maybe, but it's still conjecture. That example aside, the point Jag was making is a good one.

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 9:18 am

Maybe it's a fact but still conjecture? Enough of the double talk. I'd like to hear from Jag.

• JagJune 28, 2014 - 9:19 am

Hey RW The example was not a very good one I was just simply trying to say it is possible to have left leaning and right leaning facts and maybe they all don’t get reported by some stations. (not trying to pick a fight) :)

• rlw895June 28, 2014 - 9:31 am

Jag: Me neither. Thanks.

Hood-Courtland: Small towns boast interesting facts

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1

Vallejo Symphony launches new season Sept. 21

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Opponents: State water plan will destroy Delta

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

New role for symphony conductor begins next year

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Prolific pears rule Courtland area

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

1 critical after 2 shot at Fairfield bus stop

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1, 12 Comments | Gallery

Dare Devil Chaos Coaster set for Six Flags debut in 2015

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Vallejo festival will celebrate Wilderness Act anniversary

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Suisun police plan holiday weekend checkpoint

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

No plea as Vacaville homicide suspect appears in court

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 4 Comments | Gallery

Vacaville man convicted of fifth DUI

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 7 Comments

Solano continues to deal with earthquake

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Bunting earns praise for role in paint case

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5

Fairfield police log: Aug. 27, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 27, 2014

Weather for Aug. 29, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B14

Mom won’t be charged in school confrontation

California Supreme Court pick confirmed

Assembly approves statewide ban on plastic bags

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Feds to resume leasing for fracking in California

High school buddies followed similar path to jihad

Drugs killed Oklahoma inmate in troubled execution

4 killed in New Mexico crash of medical flight

US rebukes Oklahoma for ditching school standards

Suit claims police brutality at Ferguson protests

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Flight diverts to Boston over reclined-seat upset

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Testimony wraps up in former Va. governor trial

Q&A: Few laws govern children at shooting range

Gun tourism grows in popularity in recent years

Obama sets no timeline for action on immigration

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Obama rules out US military action in Ukraine

UN Security Council meets on Ukraine crisis

Russian columns enter Ukraine; leader urges calm

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9 | Gallery

A look at the Islamic State militants in Syria

Jihadists kill dozens of captured Syrian soldiers

UN: Ebola disease caseload could reach 20,000

Attempt to call missing jet may alter search area

By The Associated Press | From Page: A13 | Gallery

Europe seeks role in postwar Gaza

By The Associated Press | From Page: A13 | Gallery

UN: Armed group detains 43 peacekeepers in Syria

More ways to help stop bullies

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

How about keeping our ISIS plan secret?

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11, 13 Comments

Question of the week: Is US policy on hostages correct?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

What should the US do about the Islamic State?

By Ben Boychuk and Joel Mathis | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Community Calendar: Aug. 29, 2014

Today in History: Aug. 29, 2014

How do I deal with my overweight cousin who smells like cat urine?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B13

Horoscopes: Aug. 29, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B13

Week in preview Aug. 29-Sept. 4

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Review: ‘As Above’ so-so

Review: Ex-007 actor spying again in ‘Nov. Man’

Review: The case against binge-watching TV

Entertainment calendar: Aug. 29, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Jolie, Pitt wed privately at chateau in France

Prep football preview: Rio Vista looks to get back to playoffs

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Angels rally in 10th for 4-3 win over Oakland

Record-setting Petit leads Giants past Rockies 4-1

Borland returns pick for TD, 49ers beat Texans

Carr’s 3 TDs lead Raiders past Seahawks 41-31

Rise in flags makes NFL defenders wary of contact

After Rice, NFL increases domestic violence bans

USC coach accepts some blame in Shaw situation

Williams overcomes 3 early double-faults to win at U.S. Open

Mickelson in a bind with 4 straight playoff events

Weakened US team aims for world basketball title

Local youngster will play baseball on national stage

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B9, 1 Comment | Gallery

Week Zero prep football capsules

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

Signups for Friday, Aug. 29, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B10

Stewart returning to competition after fatal crash

Sports on TV/Local sports for Friday, Aug. 29, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B11

This date in sports history for Friday, Aug. 29, 2014

Power looks for elusive IndyCar title at Fontana

M235i revives classic BMW memories

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1

Average US 30-year mortgage rate at 4.1 percent

Obama touts revised economic growth numbers

US economy grew at brisk 4.2 pct. rate in Q2

Ukraine conflict weighs on markets; Retailers fall

Abercrombie name to shrink from clothing

Survey: Americans’ pessimism on economy has grown

Apple to unveil next products at Sept. 9 event