Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Obama has plenty of work to do

stevenson column sig 2

From page A7 | January 24, 2012 |

President Barack Obama’s got a lot on his plate if he wants to keep his reputation intact.

Of course for many of us, nothing he could do could salvage his dignity, because long before he became president, he was determined to harm our reputation. You may recall that soon after he was elected, he traveled to Egypt and gave a speech that was filled with apologies for colonialism and imperialism.

It turns out that the famous cursing speech by Obama’s pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, if you read it to the end, was filled with criticisms of the ”colonial” countries, of which America was only one. Obama’s friend and neighbor, Bill Ayers, involved in more than one bombing, said that if he had it all to do over again he would repeat the bombing and the concomitant killing.

I think I have mentioned that when three members of the Weather Underground, a group associated with Ayers and his wife, Bernardine Dohrn, were killed in a 12th Street townhouse in Greenwich, Conn., I was right across the street and felt the explosion. So you can guess how I’ve felt about Obama when I learned that Ayers put on a fundraiser for him.

OK, so Obama ordered Osama bin Laden killed. Obama has also pulled us mostly out of Iraq, where the murder has restarted with all its earlier force, so one wonders what we’ve accomplished. Have we let Iran know how deadly serious we are about their producing nuclear weapons? I don’t think so, or they wouldn’t apparently be continuing. Pro-Iranian allies have said that as long as Israel has nuclear weapons, which they undoubtedly do, Iran is entitled to them as well.

Perhaps the scariest situation is not Iran’s development of nuclear weapons. It’s something we don’t talk about very much, but we should.

A recent article in The New York Times pointed out that the internecine fighting between clans and political parties in Pakistan is reaching a boiling point. Pakistan and India have been at each other’s throats since their British-led division in 1947. The Pakistanis are largely a Muslim country, and India, about eight or nine times the size, is largely Hindu, but with a population of 160 million Muslims. Both countries, regardless of the difference in their size, are armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons and it would take only a match to start a worldwide conflagration.

So we have to wonder what the Obama administration is doing to prevent a war or stop one if it starts. Each country is thought to have at least a dozen, perhaps many more, nuclear weapons.

Think about the population density in that part of the world. There are billions of people living in the triangle from the southern tip of Ceylon to the northern tip of India. There was a British show some years ago called “Oh, What a Lovely War!” This one wouldn’t be.

In fact, it might be the end, and it’s something that the president should be planning for.

Bud Stevenson, a stockbroker, lives in Fairfield. Reach him at Bsteven254@aol.com.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 7:34 am

I've been writing about Wright and Ayres for years. Obama was never vetted because he's black and asking anything personal was deemed racist. (How about those transcripts, Barry?!) Libs are still smug about pulling the wool over our eyes while 60% of Americans think Obama has done a poor job with the economy. Do you remember he promised to "focus like a laser" on job creation?! LOL

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 7:53 am

Yeah, more FOX-ism, alcohol-inspired drivel. Bud, you and Mr. McMullan should begin dating. This speech will go so well since right out of the chute, Bohner says it's pathetic. Nice support Ms. Speaker. Between that and bonehead’s proclamation to limit the president to one term, he’s proving his inept ability to lead!

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 8:05 am

Sorry, went a bit astray. Referring to tonight's State of the Union Address.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 8:21 am

CD, you act more like an ostrich every day. Are you actually denying that Obama's reverend Wright is a white-bashing American-hating bigot? It's all on tape, but it's more convenient to blame Fox. Are you also denying that Obama began his political career in the home of two unrepentant American terrorists, Ayers and his wife Dohrn? Anything Obama says IS pathetic. Just wait. He'll blame Congress, Bush, Republicans, global warming, tsunamis, etc. He's immature and can never admit he's wrong. But then again, he's rarely spot-on.

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 9:16 am

Marci, I'm saying the support Obama is credited for is speculated and oft-hyped nonsense. But we all ready knew that.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 11:30 am

CD, let me get this straight: You're saying that Obama's hopey changey garbage is just that?!

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 11:33 am

The two issues that Bud mentions are enough to ruin a reputation. If we were following sound fair thinking and being honest; Obama would have never been elected President. Just the issue of his alliance with a racist Pastor of 20 years would have infuriated everybody. Can you imagine if one of the GOP candidates were attending a Church where the Pastor was a KKK leader? His goose would be cooked. The other issue that is so embarrassing to our country is how Obama has gone around the world apologizing for how awful we are. What side is he on? There are too many issues to mention but just those two that I have mentioned are enough to ruin a reputation.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 11:38 am

Obama and many of the other libs are teflon-coated. Only the past history of conservatives is dredged up and paraded around and sticks forever. He should never have been elected with his dubious history. Soros paid a bundle for him and he's getting repaid in ways we don't even know about.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:13 pm

Not that facts are important to Bud, Marci, etc. but facts are facts: http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/jan/20/ted-cruz/ted-cruz-says-obama-made-worldwide-apology-tour/

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:22 pm

I heard many of the speeches, Jason. You can't un-ring a bell. Artimus, when Joe the Plumber accused Obama of wealth redistribution and Obama acknowledged it--that was reason #3 not to trust this guy. Can't wait for the Whiner-in-chief to go pointing the finger again at conservatives. I wonder which individuals he'll choose to put-down during this speech?! And if I hear Mitten say one more time that Obama is really a nice guy---you'll see smoke emerging from this blog. Obama is NOT a nice guy.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:26 pm

So where did he use the words, "America is sorry?" Send me a link to the speech. Or show me a transcript. I'll wait.

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Jason, are you saying that unless he says, "I am sorry" that it is not true. Oh boy Jason...you really are blind or self deceived. There is more then one way to skin a cat and so therefore; there are many ways to apologize then just saying, " I am sorry"..

• MarciJanuary 25, 2012 - 11:31 am

You know, an apology doesn't always include the words. "I'm sorry," but it often includes excuses.

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:41 pm

Marci, did you hear THE speeches, or the edited versions that FOX is known for?

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:47 pm

CD, your question is like asking aside from the ovens, how was your stay at Auchwitz? http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=32296

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 3:03 pm

Marci, it was a valid question. If you weren’t standing there watching, you have no idea what was said or the context with which it was presented. FOX's reckless editing of audio and video is practically legendary. They invented the creation of lying cheating politicians simply by a little cutting here and there. That is a commonly known fact, no disputing it. Then their whack-job hosts go out on the air waves and unabashedly lie some more. Quite a racket they have going there. I am embarrassed my fellow countrymen/women have not seen through all the crap these fools have foisted upon us. But then again, they had a lesson from the most inane, criminally maladjusted administration in the history of the world to follow. No ovens, just the smoking hot truth.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 3:16 pm

CD, face it, you can't accept it that Obama is not the man he said he was. My best analogy was comparing him to the queen in "V," who was really a reptile.

• CD BrooksJanuary 24, 2012 - 3:36 pm

Marci, you are right and I wasn't going to revisit our differences on this subject. You are also correct in saying I expected more from him. Still hoping that happens.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 3:41 pm

CD, I think you've mellowed a tad in the last few months. You picked Team Obama and you clearly see it hasn't worked out. Time to choose a surrogate.

• tcc43January 24, 2012 - 3:56 pm

Did you forget to take your meds today, CD? This last anti-Fox rant is a classic--and I don't mean that as a compliment. It is the Bush Derangement Syndrome on steroids. I'm worried about you, man. Take a deep breath through your nose, count silently to four, then exhale through your mouth. Repeat as necessary.

• CD BrooksJanuary 25, 2012 - 7:37 am

Marci, don't mistake kindness for weakness. I LOVED the speech and his demeanor and upbeat style. He knows he's got this in the bag. GOP, that was in your smug faces, better wise up! :) tcc43, it was a perfectly legitimate response to a silly comment. My comment was the truth 100%. No worries here.

• GeorgeJanuary 25, 2012 - 7:42 am

CD, I think he knows he has this in the bag... but I think he really cares more about the country then he does about winning. For Republicans...one of which I USED to be... it's all about winning. They've clearly put their rage and their party before the needs of the country.

• MarciJanuary 25, 2012 - 7:45 am

CD, his speech was smell-0-vision. Your Obama shoveled so much crap in that speech, I thought I needed to rake out the litter box. (No offense to my cats.) Obama is a bad joke. We need to be energy independent he said with a straight face, while he veteos the pipeline. We need bipartisan effort, while he nixes, rejects, scoffs everything the repubs offer. Fair this and fair that is socialism at its finest and class warfare at its worst.

• CD BrooksJanuary 25, 2012 - 7:49 am

George, I believe you are absolutely correct. I hope he got through to them.

• CD BrooksJanuary 25, 2012 - 7:53 am

HA! HA! Smell-O- vision? You're killing me Marci! Is that yours or you know, "those guys?" The GOP aint laughing, but I thought it was hilarious! :)

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:23 pm

Here we go with these one sided links again instead of using your own words where we can research on our own. Here is one where Obama wanted to apologize to Japan for the bombing of Hiroshima. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/279867/obama-wanted-apologize-hiroshima-jonah-goldberg

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:29 pm

And Politifact is not one-sided. They research all politicians claims, from both sides of the aisle, and challenege them. ALL of them. They have lies from politicians from both sides of the aisle including the POTUS. Then you use a link to National Review which IS one-sided.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:25 pm

They did the research, Artimus. They had people at the speeches. Facts are facts.

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:33 pm

When Obama first became President; I told all my fellow Conservative friends that we need to support and pray for our new President to be a good leader for our country. You see many people may not agree with his liberal policies but once he is President we try to support him in spite of differences. However as time went on I lost total respect in terms of his lies, his division of this country, his weak stance and double talk. His refusal to address unfair political tactics from the left toward Conservatives. If he can stand back and do nothing at these injustices from the left; it is a slap to the Conservatives who did try to support him and give the benefit of the doubt that he would at least be fair. If he does get re-elected; America has everything that they got coming.

• Danny BuntinJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:14 pm

First off, this president is not liberal. He is a right leaning moderate. What conservatives(so called) have supported this president? They have fought him on everything. When he did have both houses of congress, he was unable to get past the 60 pre vote filibustering. Zero republicans crossed the isle. Unlike when W was in office, there has been no compromise from the other party(Republicans). What unfair political tactics are you referring too? From day one, the republicans main goal was to make this president look like a chump. The heck with the country, we need more tax breaks for people who do not physically earn money. Their money earns money. That should be up in the 40% range, not 15%.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:41 pm

Obama a "right leaning moderate"? What planet are you from, Jason?? How do I view this president? Let me count the ways: First off, the first socialist president set his laser-like focus on foisting an unpopular socialist healthcare dictate. Second of all, he went on his Blast America tour (including at the UN). Third of all, he fought any GOP ideas tooth 'n nail. Fourth of all, he started class warfare rhetoric, inanely blaming the opposition party for his policy failures. Fifth of all, he increased the national debt by $5 trillion in less than three years after calling Bush unpatriotic for his $4 trillion in 8 years. The stimulus only stimulated his cronies' bank accounts. Sixth of all, his crony capitalism was responsible for half a billion $ to a known failing green company, Solyndra. Seventh of all, he and his AG are involved up to their ears in Fast & Furious. Eighth of all, he's accumulating a BILLION $ for his warchest to blast conservatives. Just think of all the scholarships and help that money would bring to the poor? Ninth of all, he's earned the moniker, Food Stamp President because millions more are on food stamps--the most ever in our history. Tenth of all, he nixed the Keystone pipline extension that would unquestionably create thousands of jobs. Yet, he claims he created jobs. Fattening up the government is not the same as private sector jobs. We pay for government jobs through taxes, which he wants to raise. Eleventh of all, he's played more golf, shot more hoops, had more parties, and taken more lavish vacations than any other president. During these bleak economic times, it's a heinous lifestyle. He wasn't elected to live the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:44 pm

Sorry, Jason; I meant "Danny."

• Danny BuntinJanuary 24, 2012 - 4:50 pm

Crony capitalism, that does not sound like a liberal to me. Filling the bankers house with money, that does not sound like a liberal to me. Socialist HealthCare that makes us purchase from a middle man corporation, that does not sound like a liberal to me. You did prove my point about him not being a liberal - thanks Marci.

• George BalellaJanuary 25, 2012 - 5:48 pm

Marci, You said Bush accumulated 4 trillion dollars in debt in eight years. Below is a link ti the US Treasury where you can see exactly how much debt we had on any given day. Plug in the dates for the fiscal years Bush was responsible for and let us know if it's 4 trillion. You do know when the US fiscal year starts right? http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

• GeorgeJanuary 25, 2012 - 6:13 pm

Marci, regarding presidential vacation days. FYI Marci... facts are important to me. I try not to make a claim unless I have verified it. You might want to consider doing the same. "So far, President Obama has taken 61 vacation days after 31 months in office. At this point in their presidencies, George W. Bush had spent 180 days at his ranch where his staff often joined him for meetings. And Ronald Reagan had taken 112 vacation days at his ranch. Among recent presidents, Bill Clinton took the least time off -- 28 days." http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/17/eveningnews/main20093801.shtml

• MarciJanuary 25, 2012 - 6:49 pm

No George, you are mistaken. I never said the number of vacation days was higher because I checked and they're about the same. I said the Obamas take LAVISH vacations, often at our expense, and often travel separately. W usually went to his Texas ranch and Laura traveled with him.

• GeorgeJanuary 25, 2012 - 8:15 pm

60 days versus 180 days...really marci... can you document your more lavish claims? Did you see an actual dollar mount or did Rush put that into your mind? And have you figured out Bush's debt... I won't let this go until we confirm the numbers... You said it was $4 trillion.... what was it really? You said Obama has $5 trillion in 3 years... really 3 years. How many budget years has he had? Here's a hint. Look who signed the budget for 2009. http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy09/pdf/budget/message.pdf

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:45 pm

I have to disagree with you Danny on the point that Obama is a moderate. He is so Liberal he is off the charts. Another thing I disagree is that Republicans have fought him on every level. That is the news that is being spread by the Liberal media that is being fed by the Obama Administration. Often times it is the Liberal left along with the President who have stalled or delayed on some issues and blamed those delays on the Republicans; this is blatantly lying. And when I say that conservatives have supported him; it means just that. They support him and give him respect as the President of the United States but they do disagree with many of his policies. That is just politics.

• Danny BuntinJanuary 24, 2012 - 4:36 pm

Give me some examples of this president performing a liberal act. Give me some examples of stalling or delaying. Give me some examples of the Cons joining with the president. How many appointees have the Rep held up? What liberal media? They are all owned by megacorps. No offense Artimus, but your definition of support is as useful as praying for rain in the lone star state.

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 11:41 pm

It’s all good Danny. As for the Liberal media bias; I don’t think I need to give you any examples, if you don’t see that for yourself, I can’t help you out. As for one example of being a total Liberal is his double talk on the Abortion issue, his anti-Israel sentiment and pro h…omo..s..xl agenda just to name a few. An example of his delay of a bill that he was trying to pass and when the Republicans agreed to review it which would reveal a flaw, he delayed it and then was seen on T.V. blaming the republicans for the delay. As far as support, I think you misunderstand me. I am talking about in general how we support our President in spite of disagreeing with some of his policies. Conservatives often do not receive the same treatment in fairness when they disagree. That is the support that I am speaking about. Danny, don’t you remember correcting someone who did not vote for Obama by you reminding them that in spite of disagreements; he is our President?

• GeorgeJanuary 25, 2012 - 6:15 pm

The FACTS have a del known liberal bias...

• MarciJanuary 25, 2012 - 11:34 am

Artimus, the American people need to realize that fool them once, shame on Obama. Fool them twice, shame on them. I think many of them do now.

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:38 pm

Jason, I can see why you support Obama. It is crystal clear.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:23 pm

On some things, yes. On others, no. It is not "all or nothing" with me. never has been. What does bother me is when people lie about what politicians say or twist what they say to fit an agenda. Both sides are guilty of such behavior.

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:34 pm

Jason that is a fair argument that both sides are guilty of not playing fair but a weak excuse. We can always point out to another side a similar behavior to justify another however the Liberal left is far more unfair then the Conservative right. There are some things that are not tolerated from the Conservative right and it would be disgusting and there would be outcry from the right however you do not see that coming from the left. It would be like a Principal at your school who walks around the playground and sees bullies picking on defenseless children and keeps walking by. As the President of the United States that is exactly what he has done and on top that as the Principal of the school stands up and says; there is no bullying going around here, he has done the same thing. And if he is not Liberal; I don’t know what he is.

• SavetheRepublicJanuary 24, 2012 - 1:53 pm

Throughout human history the control and manipulation of money has been used by the elites to control free humanity. This has continued up until this day. Power of the Purse Volume 1 is a 4 hour and 50 minute documentary spanning 2 DVDs that details the history of how money has evolved from ancient times to the 21st century. This film exposes how those who have controlled money have used this power to fund both sides of wars in order to bankrupt nations and peoples. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyp5WVhenhc&feature=related

• ArtimusJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:47 pm

Thank you for the history lesson; how about a solution?

• MarciJanuary 24, 2012 - 2:56 pm

A good start would be to elect a president who loves this country and the Constitution.

• Rich GiddensJanuary 24, 2012 - 4:31 pm

Marci----you are doing a fantastic job in the blogs here. I am relieved of duty and can retire now! The torch is passed!

• MarciJanuary 25, 2012 - 11:36 am

Rick, we need all the help we can get here because the libs are bulldozing the obvious truth. None of us can "retire" until after the November election!

• Danny BuntinJanuary 24, 2012 - 4:40 pm

Get rid of the privately run Federal Reserve - plain and simple. It is time for congress to take back the power our founders wanted them to have. Going in, our founders warned against this, and set up the constitution accordingly.

Labor Day not a holiday for everyone

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Labor Day breakfast introduces union-backed candidates

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Pool provides last dose of summer fun in the sun

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

SafeQuest schedules peer counseling training course

Labor Day sees more Solano freeway crashes

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Fairfield police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 30, 2014

Fairfield police log: Aug. 30, 2014

VP Biden says workers deserve ‘fair share’

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Obama: ‘Revving’ economy calls for higher wages

Senegal monitors contacts of 1st Ebola patient

San Francisco to be 1st to test urban farming law

By The Associated Press | From Page:

GOP challenger tries novel tactics against Brown

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Texas’ Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized

By The Associated Press | From Page:

US eating habits improve a bit – except among poor

No gray area: Beliefs shape views of Brown killing

Americans detained in North Korea call for US help

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Iraqi prime minister pledges to root out militants

Poland’s PM: Ukraine’s war must be stopped now

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Pro-Russian rebels lower demands in peace talks

US helicopter crashes in Gulf of Aden; all rescued

Community Calendar: Sept. 2, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Inquiries begin into nude celebrity photo leaks

‘Guardians’ tops Labor Day, summer box office

Kirk rallies to win the Deutsche Bank

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Rockies top Giants after losing end of suspended game

Dunn homers in 1st at-bat as A’s top Mariners

Right guard Boone passes physical, rejoins 49ers

Raiders name rookie Derek Carr as starting QB

Armijo beats Vanden 2-0 to claim All-City boys soccer title

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Armed with new deal, Chiefs’ Smith looks forward

Column: Stewart’s Chase status doesn’t matter

Raiders ink CB Dowling, 9 others to practice squad

Serena Williams, Djokovic roll to US Open quarters

Houston Astros fire manager Bo Porter

Hamels, 3 Phillies relievers no-hit Braves

Markets drift as Wall Street has day off

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Austerity debate flares as Europe recovery fades

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

Zits Sept 2