stevenson column sig 2

Local opinion columnists

Surprising defense of Hillary Clinton

By From page A11 | January 24, 2014

I never thought I would do this, but I’m going to defend Hillary Clinton.

This does not mean that I have changed my opinion of her as a serial liar. To name a few untruths, there’s Whitewater, the Rose Law Firm, the story that she turned $1,000 into $100,000 in the cattle futures market, the FBI files turning up in the White House, the claim that she and Chelsea had to dodge sniper fire as they were getting off the plane at the Sarajevo airport – OK, that’s enough.

Now, having offered a few items from the prevarication list, I have to argue about a recent speech from which a comment was taken totally out of context.

Secretary Clinton, formerly Sen. Clinton and formerly first lady of the United States and further back in time, first lady of Arkansas when what’s-his-name was governor of that state, was talking about the awful events in Benghazi, Libya, 16 months ago. As we all know, four Americans were killed, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Her comments first expressed her feelings that the murders were horrible, which most Americans would agree with. Then, in response to a question either asked or assumed by the secretary, about what weapons were used or just how it all happened, Hillary asked, “What difference does it make?” She followed that with another unequivocal condemnation of what the murderers did, not what weapons they used.

Granted, and I’m choking on this, conservatives – including my constant media companion, Fox News – should not distort what liberals or other Democrats say or do, when the truth is bad enough.

For example, just a few minutes ago, as I’m writing this, Fox showed a clip of our senator – yuck – Barbara Boxer, claiming, not for the first time, that Republicans were up to their old tricks waging a war on women. Well, the “war on women” phrase has little or no basis in fact and certainly is not a mainstay of the Republican philosophy. It’s convenient for a loyalist like Boxer to make accusations that have no basis in fact. I would humbly submit that the Democratic Party has members who might have uttered sexist comments in the course of their careers, and yet we never hear about their own war on women.

I know we’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but there is little doubt that both Jack and Bobby Kennedy had little respect for their marriage vows. Since both men were considered saints, little was said about their behavior, at least while they were alive.

I hope I’ve made the point that different public officials are treated differently, depending on their politics. But, in very rare cases, someone worshipped by the mainstream media is criticized based on, at the very least, a misunderstanding. So, I find it unsettling that some members of the conservative media, who should know better – and probably do – are playing up the “What difference does it make?” question, totally out of context.

OK, this was one instance of one of the Clintons being treated unfairly – sort of – in the media. That still leaves an uncountable number of times when they deserved it, and they always had plenty of defenders in the Democratic Party. Yes, it still amazes me that both Bill and Hillary show up every year on various “most admired” lists.

Bud Stevenson, a retired stockbroker, lives in Fairfield. Reach him at [email protected]

Bud Stevenson

Bud Stevenson

• Rich GiddensJanuary 24, 2014 - 7:54 am

Their worst crime is treason starting with trading ICBM inertial measurement units (nuke missile navigation) for DNC political campaign cash from COMMUNIST CHINA. Those Chinese missiles are aimed at us.

• G-ManJanuary 24, 2014 - 10:47 am

Taking the liberty of using a comment in a politically creative way does not even come close to the transgressions made by the Clinton State Dept and the White House in the months leading up to and the aftermath of the Benghazi attacks...Approx 60%of the American people believe obama and Clinton are to blame or somewhat to blame for what happened in Benghazi....I think the types of weapons used are very important..protestors don't walk around with RPG's Mortars,and 50Cal Machine Guns...they're usually the Rock Paper Scissors crowd...In defeating Clinton at every turn the end will always justify the means...and THAT'S the difference that it makes.

• Did you move?January 24, 2014 - 2:20 pm

or is John Kerry still your neighbor? Maybe you could get some righteous answers from him? Hockey stick to the face maybe?

• G-ManJanuary 27, 2014 - 11:43 am

Yes he is..as long as he stays married to Theresa Heinz..but I'll tell you something STR I've never seen the house it sits way back in the woods with a private drive..at one time there was an actual STOP sign@ the bottom of the drive..but that's gone and just the usual private property keep out signbs are there..As a high level Cabinet Member Kerry probably has SS protection or some kind of protection...Don't think he or for that matter she is in Pittsburgh much..but I guess you could GOOGLE Map the place...it's off of Squaw Run Road Pittsburgh Pa..near where Squaw Run intersects with Dorseyville Rd..I've never done it but now oif I have some time I might...

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 24, 2014 - 4:17 pm

R.I.P. Vince Foster

• G-ManJanuary 27, 2014 - 11:49 am

Vince Foster..the ultimate victim of the Clintons

• Rich GiddensJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:09 pm

What curdles my stomach is General David Petraeus saying how much he admires the Clintonistas! Its no wonder we've lost the war on terror and our economy is in a nose dive once again.