Monday, January 26, 2015

Maybe I’m not living right

wade kelvin column sig copy

From page A7 | April 03, 2014 |

I have a confession to make: I’m afraid of lightning.

The rain we’ve been getting leaves me conflicted. Yes, we need it and I love the rain, just not the 1.21 gigawatt bolts of death and destruction that often come along with it.

Just this week, an Alaska Airlines jet was struck by lightning at Oakland International Airport. In Sausalito, a lightning bolt split a redwood in two and shattered the windows of two homes. And in Berkeley, a woman was struck while crossing the street. She survived with no serious injuries but has been left with a metallic taste in her mouth. Yikes.

Maybe my fears started when lightning struck a telephone pole in front of our house and split a huge chunk of it off. When I saw what lightning could do, it was hide-under-my-bed-time.

Growing up, I was horrified by the story of Roy Sullivan, the Virginia park ranger who was struck by lightning seven times and survived, only to kill himself later. The fact that he was from Virginia and I was born in Virginia added to my fear. I know it’s irrational. Don’t judge me.

When I was a kid, my mom used to say, “The reason you’re afraid is because you ain’t livin’ right. Be sure your sins will find you out!” Wow. Mom, you could’ve gone the “everything is going to be all right” route instead of getting all Old Testament on me.

My fears didn’t end when I became an adult. In fact during big thunderstorms, I used to grab both beagles (who shared my fear) and we’d kind of hang out in the bathroom reading books and chilling until the storm passed. (They were avid readers.)

Once during a thunderstorm, my friend Chumly called me on the phone. I told him to talk fast because I was on a corded phone and it wasn’t safe. (It’s not!) He asked if he could borrow my Olympic barbell and I told him yes. But then he asked me to bring it down to his house. He only lived two doors down, but there was no way I was carrying a 7-foot metal pole down the street in a lightning storm. I’d end up a candidate for the Darwin Award.

You people trying to discourage folks from buying lottery tickets, saying people are more likely to be struck by lightning than win, are not helping. Yes, it’s true. The odds of winning California Super Lotto Plus are 1-in-41,416,353 while your odds of being nuked by the heavens is 1-in-750,000.

According to the National Weather Service, 60 people are killed every year by lightning strikes. Reading their website about what to do if caught outdoors in a thunderstorm is not comforting at all.

“There are NO SAFE PLACES outdoors.” “We don’t recommend (using) the crouch because it will not significantly lower your risk of being killed or injured . . .” “Can lightning strike me when I’m indoors? YES!” So what to do? “Apply barbecue sauce liberally to skin and wait!” OK, I made up that last sentence.

It’s raining while I’m writing this so I’m going to get away from this computer and hunker down somewhere with a book. Incidentally, the book I’m reading is one of my favorites.

“Lightning,” by Dean Koontz. Peace.

Kelvin Wade is the author of “Morsels” Vols. I and II and lives in Fairfield. Email him at kelvinjwade@aol.com.

• Tony WadeApril 03, 2014 - 7:21 am

That was freakin' hilarious!

• CD BrooksApril 03, 2014 - 8:19 am

The movie Great Outdoors and 66 times, classic!

• I heard that If U wear tight white pants U R safe from Lighting StrikesApril 03, 2014 - 11:37 am

• Sorry.. I can't stop myselvesApril 03, 2014 - 12:05 pm

• ELECTRIC BOOGIE by Marcia GriffithsApril 03, 2014 - 12:19 pm

• Bob Marley Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright LYRICSApril 03, 2014 - 12:26 pm

• But then again If U R Not Careful .. U could end up Fried... U Chicken?April 03, 2014 - 12:30 pm

• NFSD... Nevermind U Bring me SunshineApril 03, 2014 - 12:55 pm

• Now for some Slack KeyApril 03, 2014 - 12:57 pm

• Keola Beamer - E Ku'u Morning Dew fromApril 04, 2014 - 9:58 pm

• E Ku'u Morning DewApril 04, 2014 - 10:03 pm

• Sweet Dreams...Cindy Combs - Whispering Hope from her album Slack Key LadyApril 04, 2014 - 10:15 pm

• Hui Aloha - Steal AwayApril 04, 2014 - 10:18 pm

• Cat MoyApril 03, 2014 - 1:34 pm

Try one of those thunder jackets used for dogs. It gives a feeling of security. And your arms are free to read. (:

Teen finds entrepreneurial path at young age

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Time for Relay for Life kickoff event

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Suisun Senior Center offers monthly dance

Wedding Faire offers one-stop browsing for couples

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Crab feed tradition continues this week

Local government agencies post meeting times

Fairfield schedules workshop on downtown plan

Millions of GMO insects could be released in Florida Keys

US gas prices fell 13 cents per gallon, but expected to rise

2 Marines identified in deadly California helicopter crash

Santa Ana winds knock out power to thousands in California

Boy shot by Los Angeles deputies treated for graze wound

Obama to seek wilderness designation for Alaska refuge

Navy wants to increase use of sonar-emitting buoys

Ukraine: Phone calls prove rebels attacked city, killed 30

Zambia: Edgar Lungu sworn in as new president

Greek radical left wins election, threatening market turmoil

‘Potentially historic’ storm headed for Northeast

Balloon crew launches in bid to break 2 major records

Obama: Counterterrorism operations in Yemen not affected

Zoo offers creepy way for lovelorn to get even with exes

Democracy or republic?

By Earl Heal | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 26, 2015

Do elected officials get it?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Community Calendar: Jan. 26, 2015

Today in History: Jan. 26, 2015

Horoscope Jan. 27, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

My sister is jobless and homeless and I’m not sure how to help

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Tavares scores 4, Team Toews outscores Team Foligno, 17-12

Chip Ganassi Racing’s ‘star car’ wins Rolex 24 at Daytona

Patriots’ Browner gets a 2nd chance at a Super Bowl ring

Family attorney: Cubs great Ernie Banks died of heart attack

Bill Haas pulls away to win Humana Challenge

Jeff Gordon to be Fox guest analyst during XFINITY season

Sherman doubts any punishment ahead for Patriots

AP Source: Browns WR Josh Gordon fails another drug test

AP Interview: Selig says MLB could expand internationally

Coach K gets 1,000th win as No. 5 Duke tops St. John’s 77-68

Quinn has led Seattle to record-setting defense

Thomas Clark