Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Long struggle ahead on gun control

batson column sig

From page A8 | January 26, 2013 |

A troubling piece appeared Jan. 11 in the Daily Republic:   “. . . [In Vacaville] police seized two pounds of marijuana, 170 marijuana plants, an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, a machine gun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.”

An AR-15? A machine gun? Dear brothers and sisters of self-defense: you are not the problem. You respect guns and what they can do. You’ve educated yourselves about safety. You don’t “go postal.” You’re not the problem. If everyone were like you, we could all own AR-15s and machine guns and there would be no headlines. But your ferocious defense of your “right” to own such military weapons of mass killing enables both the above scenario and our periodic sickening massacres.

Here’s what happens. These weapons “ooze” out into the wrong hands. They get transported from somewhere. They get stolen. They’re sold in the parking lots of gun shows. They end up in non-NRA hands.

And lots of innocent people die. It can’t continue.

All the constitutional defenses fall short. If the Second Amendment allowed unrestricted gun ownership, it would have been placed in the First Amendment. There, the Founders placed no restrictions (although they knew such extreme liberties would be later tempered by case law or codes for common-sense reasons). They wanted those freedoms to be maximized.

The Founders put guns into another amendment and restricted ownership to use in a militia to “repel Invasions and suppress Insurrections” (Section 8). Notice that the militia is to “suppress insurrections,” not cause them. No constitution on Earth provides for its citizens to shoot its own officers. The Constitution only allows us to use ballots to alter our government, not bullets. Don’t kid yourselves about some imaginary unrestricted freedom to carry.

And can we please leave God out of this? Mr. Huckabee claims that the recent massacre happened because we’ve “kicked God out of our schools.” Humans can’t kick God out of anything.

What about stories about how dictators confiscated guns? These stories are a misuse of history. With regard to Hitler, he actually relaxed gun controls to give Germans more guns after the Treaty of Versailles had disarmed the country. Yes, Jews were not allowed to have guns, but who believes that if they had fought back, the result would have been for the Nazis to have humbly backed down?

There is also no evidence that Japan ever wanted to invade the U.S. Their goal was the conquest of East Asia.

Comparisons to nations with totally different histories and cultures from ours are irrelevant.

Efforts to identify likely future perpetrators will probably fail. Only a small number of mentally ill people become murderously enraged. Only a small number of normal people become murderously enraged. We will find that almost everyone becomes murderously enraged at some time or other in their lives. The point is, they must not have a military weapon close at hand.

Because recently a line was crossed.

Our quandary about how to solve this complex problem can be reduced to this: We are facing a 30-year struggle to remove military-style weapons from our society. People may die in this struggle. But no sane society should allow widespread ownership of machine guns and assault rifles.

Jack Batson is a former member of the Fairfield City Council. Reach him at jsbatson@prodigy.net.

• Please do some researchJanuary 26, 2013 - 2:28 am

Shootings such as Aurora and Sandy Hook are government PSYOPS. Much like the Federal Building in Oklahoma and 911 were PSYOPS. Remember there are elements of the CIA and FBI Military/Industrial complex that are corrupted, parts of our own government are evil. I sat next to you at a class once and you seemed like a nice person. Please humor me and do some research on what I stated above. If you do not believe that Oswald was the lone gunman then you should be open to researching the topic that these shootings are staged...the Illuminati - Hegelian Dialectic...Problem...Reaction...Solution....Jack also please read....Web of Debt by Ellen Brown

• BookJanuary 26, 2013 - 3:45 am

Poland by Mitchner...I thought it most excellent....Most people do not know that it was the Polish General that stopped the Mongols at Vienna. Austria is nice, have you ever been to Melk Abby?

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:41 am

Melk Abbey?..Yes I have..maybe 1992??..all I can remember was the Library...and some really good Cherry Wine..

• My little Gremlin.....January 26, 2013 - 9:45 am

Hast thou been to the Kremlin?

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 10:01 am

No..but I do like Krispy Kremlins..cream filled..or plain love em!!..No also to the Vienna Waltz..That'll be the day when I travel with Evening Dress Clothes..1 bag carry on..no matter where I go..no matter how long I stay...

• The things U do when younger...January 26, 2013 - 10:10 am

In Biloxi I used to go to a club and alternately drink a White Russian then Black Russian repeat...then we would go get Krispy Cremes before turning in for the night.

• Have I been to the Kremlin?January 26, 2013 - 10:18 am

Not yet = Nyet....Do something fun today...Bye I have to like go do stuff today/now.

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 10:18 am

@Straight Jacket Sandy...I do love Black Russians..Skim,Kaluha,and Vodka. Right?..What's White Russian?..Where did you turn in for the night after 4 Russians and Krispy Kremes?...the ER?

• After getting...January 26, 2013 - 10:25 am

Cream Crackered = Kanckered back to the barracks to Computer Maintenance School and to BED...Basic Electronics Development. Bye no more time to Chat.

• Knackered I meantJanuary 26, 2013 - 10:29 am

creme de menthe and light cream..Good Day

• We were there inJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:53 am

July of 1992...Have you ever waltzed @ the Kaiserball in Vienna? Arrrrgh a snooty affair that one be, but I should be careful I do not wish to step on any toes.

• laffsatliersJanuary 26, 2013 - 6:37 am

More Batson blather. He's setting himself up to run for office again and he will be thumped again as he was the last time he tried to bring his peculiar brand of baloney to elected office. His analysis of the Second Amendment is as faulty as his grasp of history. Hogwash, Jack.

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:36 am

HOGWASH JACK!!...there ya go Batson.. a good "slogan name" for you....I'd also rethink that picture you're using with your byline....you look like you stuck your head into a Bank's Money bag and the dye pack went off!

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:55 am

I direct the more erudite DR readers to this clown's paragraph..where he says guns "ooze" out into the wrong hands...he should have said Uzi'ed out..at least it would have been funny...So tell me again Council Cretin how the government is going to handle the 300 million firearms in this country when that same stupid obamamess of an administration LOST 1500 guns in Mexico..I think they found 200 of them..some next to bodies of dead Mexicans..and sadly one of our own... Brian Terry..So these Circus Yips are gonna save us from the big bad guns huh?..Who in the hell is going to save us from them?..Answer:That "Well Regulated Militia"..and the people in it that once marched under a flag that said "DON'T TREAD ON ME"

• JonesyJanuary 26, 2013 - 2:35 pm

Look at Gary Mouthin off about Jacks Pic. I've seen your pic, and you can talk. Don't know if I'd want anyone with those Coke Bottle glasses handling a firearm. You would probably shoot yourself (well on second thought). And who cut your hair?! I'd like to remind everyone that Gary is a man of his word (for what that's worth). Ain't that right Gary?...

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 4:43 pm

You did more than see my pic..you were classless enough to publish it..A 10yr old pic @ that..hairstyles change sweetheart..do you think you'll ever get sophisticated enough to realise that?..I see Kirchubel's private email..do you think I would ever think to harass the man@ his private email address?..Get some class lady.

• JonesyJanuary 26, 2013 - 5:34 pm

Class?! And this comes from G-boy...Why are you still here? Did you not say that you were done with us here in the "Cheap Seats"...Class???...PPPPaaaalllleeezzzz...LOL... I posted a link to a public site which I retracted...Once again you gave us more than just your one sided, my way or the highway, I know what's best Political views. Thanks to your "I'm so into myself & better than you" posts we know your businesses, your cars, your location, your preferences for vacations, for food, the countries you have visited, your guns, your dogs, on & on. And lets not forget "I can buy a Condo in Reno with the money I have stashed in my shaving kit" (LOL)...So cry me a river...Why are you still here if all you do is insult & name call, mister man of my word...Geeeezzz...

• JonesyJanuary 26, 2013 - 6:03 pm

By the way, the "Stash in my shaving kit" was my fav...Does it fit in your "one carry-on bag" or does that depend on your FAT stacks...LOL

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:19 pm

Never heard the term "fat stacks"..what does it mean?..I did say I'd give the politics a rest..and I did..what was it?..a month..just chalk it up to a change of mind...

• JonesyJanuary 27, 2013 - 10:22 am

Well on top of being a man who's word ain't worth a shyt...Guess we can add li@r to the list..."Fat Stacks", LOL...Gruzzolo...

• G-ManJanuary 27, 2013 - 10:38 am

Guess I'm just like your president according to you.

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:25 pm

Now I could probably buy a Condo in Reno w/the cash in YOUR shaving kit..How could I possibly leave knowing I irritate you so much?..Wanna hear about my new boat coming this Summer?..I'm going to call it "SHOWINGS"...So when people call my office the Secretary can say.."He's out on SHOWINGS"

• Mike kirchubelJanuary 26, 2013 - 11:12 am

Well done, Jack. I'm sure you realize that there can never be an intelligent conversation on gun control between those who are concerned And those who are fanatics. Conservatives are avoiding discussion by poking their dogs with sticks And letting them bark, bite, And snarl away anybody attempting to initiate dialog.

• I attempted to initiate dialog...January 26, 2013 - 11:47 am

We are typing are we not? So what/who are Progressives?

• And I promise that....January 26, 2013 - 11:53 am

I will put my tail between my legs while I "listen". You could do a column on this, what the Progressive movement is. I apologize for being snarky.

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 1:01 pm

Why wait for Kirchubelch's drivel to tell you what the Progressive Movement is?..Just look in your toilet.

• laffsatliersJanuary 26, 2013 - 12:19 pm

And this from the foam-at-the-mouth, wild-eyed bomb thrower of the left. Kissy,kissy, Mikey. After all, Jack the History Mutilator is one of your half dozen admirers.

• G-ManJanuary 26, 2013 - 12:55 pm

Fanatics and the concerned can't just seem to sync up huh Mike?..Well Gee Whiz..Why don't the concerned just look at the facts already...be honest about gun statistics?..explain why where there are strict gun controls crime is thru the roof..Mike you have a killer smile..you're well protected..who'd wanna get close to that?..the rest of us with more pedestrian charms must look to other means for protection.

• laffsatliersFebruary 01, 2013 - 4:29 pm

If the Second Amendment is somehow lessened because it is Second, not First, then what does that do to the Fourth, Fifth, and following Amendments. I guess the Framers were just fooling around when they got done with the First Amendment. Good ol' Jack: twisting and torturing history to fit his weird world views.

• rlw895February 01, 2013 - 11:08 pm

Good point. I'm not sure what Jack's talking about there; neither the rights listed in the First Amendment nor the right to bear arms in the Second Amendment are absolute. And there is significance to the order of the Bill of Rights, but not because one right is more important than another.

Fairfield labor pact wins City Council OK

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 10 Comments | Gallery

Solano leaders feel left out of Delta decision-making

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Polk first to file for Fairfield council

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Dally seeks to retain seat on Vacaville school board

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Carpenters training center set to expand in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 6 Comments | Gallery

Governor signs 2 bills by Frazier into law

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

2 Vacaville homes hit by gunfire

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Library friends set spring book sale

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6

Video chair exercise class returns to senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Man, woman, comic and dance contest primed for box office

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Rockville Trails hike on August calendar

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Mayor’s Commission on Crime hears from community

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A12, 12 Comments | Gallery

Dueling rulings: Courts split on health law clash

Assailants sought in fatal train platform beating

Senate, House on collision course on border money

ACLU may fight for California migrant shelter

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9, 1 Comment

IRS employee charged with identity theft

George Harrison memorial tree killed by beetles

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

California agency to consider hiring “water cops”

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Gaza blockade key to any Israel-Hamas truce deal

Mexican-born professor eyed for state high court

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Airlines ban flights to Israel after rocket strike

Board puts soda tax before San Francisco voters

AP source: Thieves got into 1K StubHub accounts

Obama nominee McDonald pledges to ‘transform’ VA

Body of missing S. Korean shipping tycoon found

Crews make gains on massive Washington wildfire

11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die

Lax security at crash site hampers investigations

Plane crash bodies removed from war zone

Walmart donation benefits Meals on Wheels

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Batson’s column on Mideast peace is wrong

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 5 Comments

Fix our problems first

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 7 Comments

Today in History for July 23, 2014

Community Calendar: July 23, 2014

How to argue appropriately with your mate

By Barton Goldsmith | From Page: A2

A summer sausage roll with a triple dose of fennel

10 Things: 10 fresh ways to use fresh blueberries

By J.M. Hirsch | From Page: B6

Horoscopes for July 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B6

Bulking up the classic BLT without adding fat

By Sara Moulton | From Page: B6

I’m tired of my parents judging me because of who I date

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B6

‘X-Men’ VR experience coming to Comic-Con

‘Downton Abbey’ back on Jan. 4 for season 5

Raiders enter camp with ‘chip’ on shoulders

49ers start fresh after forgettable offseason

Giants beat Phillies 9-6 in 14 innings

A’s agree to 10-year lease to stay in Oakland

AP source: Cavs to sign Andrew Wiggins to contract

Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

Pyrenees please Nibali, Rogers in Tour Stage 16

Warriors announce Brandon Rush’s signing

CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays

Racehorse owned by Britain’s queen fails dope test

Mudcats score early, get 7-3 win over South Bay Storm

Seahawks start atop AP Pro32 rankings

Selig still waiting on Tommy John report

Ackman goes after Herbalife’s nutrition clubs

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

China meat scandal hits Starbucks, Burger King

Solid earnings drive more gains in US stocks

Microsoft 4Q earnings hurt by Nokia acquisition

Apple post biggest earnings gain in nearly 2 years

One in every 25 New Yorkers is a millionaire, study says

By Los Angeles Times | From Page: B8

California firm issues nationwide fruit recall

John Klefstad