Tuesday, September 16, 2014

GOP, Dems reverse roles in modern times

batson column sig

From page A8 | August 11, 2014 |

Have you noticed something about many of the opinion pieces submitted by our local residents to the Daily Republic? Many of them refer to the radical, sulfuric Sixties: the Vietnam War, Jane Fonda, “non-negotiable demands,” and of course, pot.

These folks are solidly conservative today, and probably conservative in reaction to the excesses of those days. Never again for them all that radical chic. They’re proud of the Republican Party and how it stood tall for common sense, civility and traditional values.

Only problem: They haven’t noticed that the positions of the two parties have largely reversed themselves. Today, the Republicans are the wild radicals and the Democrats are standing for common sense. Conservatives, don’t crumple the paper up. Hear me out because I, too, was once a Republican.

In short, the party has been taken over by billionaire cuckoo birds.

Here’s my story. I was enthusiastic about Ronald Reagan. I even sent money. But as time passed, I became uncomfortable with the deficits. Didn’t conservatives stand for balanced budgets? Ronnie comforted me with his many condemnations of deficit spending, but, he was doing it. It was going to work out when the economy grew and lower taxes would bring in revenues to fill the gap. It bothered me that it never happened. Daddy Bush had called it “voodoo economics.” Maybe it was.

Ronnie’s war mongering bothered me. Do you remember the Europeans going wild over his talk of winnable nuclear war? Over the placing of missiles in Europe? Of the reckless and provocative nature of Operation Able Archer 83? I began to doubt.

Fast forward to George W. Bush, whom I also voted for. (My bad.) Here we go again: huge deficits stretching toward the horizon and more war mongering. Using conscious lies, (please do a search on Google for “Curve Ball”) W’s administration invaded Iraq. That was the end for me. The Republican Party had become the “borrow and spend” party and the illegal war party.

I looked around: What party had used U.S. power in Bosnia very cautiously but effectively? The Democratic Party. What party had “ended welfare as we know it”? The Democratic. What party had run four years of surplus? The Democratic. What party had put 100,000 new cops on the streets of America’s cities? The Democratic.

I registered as a Democrat.

My Republican friends say that those things were accomplished with Republican help. Precisely. Those were the days when the Republican Party was still willing to solve problems.

Today, they only make problems. Examples:

• Their extreme defense of billionaire’s low taxes caused the nation’s credit rating to fall.
  • They have absolutely no concern for people squeezed out of health insurance.
  • They wrongly blame Obama for huge deficits. (Those were caused by Bush’s policies.)
  • They think 98 percent of the world’s climate scientists are liars.
  • They enjoy “hate the president” campaigns. Shriek and holler about every scratch of a presidential chin and errant word uttered. Impeach! Sue! Clinton, Obama, and now cranking up, Hillary.
  • More recently, they oppose the Export-Import Bank. Never mind that it makes us competitive with other countries and reduces the deficit.
  • They have no interest in solving our hopelessly outdated immigration policy.
  • Last week they voted down a plan to increase our production of rare-earth minerals so we won’t have to depend on China. These minerals are used in many modern tech products. A year in the making, the plan lies dead on the House floor. The Republicans apparently want China to control the market.

I could go on.

The Democrats are trying to solve problems. The Republican Party – the party of No – has become a clear and present danger to our country. It’s a complete reversal from 50 years ago. Wake up, sheeple.

Jack Batson is a former member of the Fairfield City Council. Reach him at jsbatson@prodigy.net.

• truth'nAugust 11, 2014 - 5:46 am

Like most articles this unelected tool of the democrat party writes, it is full of holes and lies. There is a reason we did not want him in local politics.

• rlw895August 11, 2014 - 6:37 am

Name one hole or lie or be branded a hypocrite.

• Mike KirchubelAugust 11, 2014 - 9:11 am

Apparently, Truth'n knows what he is. In fact, all I see here is name-calling without any serious rebuttal of anything in Jack's column. I guess the party of "no" is also the party of "name-calling." It ain't much, but it's all they got.

• Tired-of-itAugust 11, 2014 - 11:13 am

...said the biggest name caller of all. "Hypocrite". Look it up.

• Salty DogAugust 11, 2014 - 2:34 pm

Mike: Shame on you. You are the one that starts with the name calling in your reply to one of my comments you responded with, And i quote (Please don't try to think for me you can't spare the capacity) That just show's every one that you are nothing but a liberal elitist that thinks you know more and are better then every one else. If you can't recall making that statement it was from your why are corporations so cold hearted and your comment was dated August 4th 2014.

• Mike KirchubelAugust 11, 2014 - 3:40 pm

SD, you were speaking for me and you did a lousy job. That's on you. And how's my response "calling you a name?"

• Salty DogAugust 11, 2014 - 8:31 pm

Mike that I what I expect from liberals like your self you have nothing to say so you have to result to name calling but in your little world you are the mean cruel and cold hearted.

• The SugarJarAugust 11, 2014 - 9:53 pm

Disclaimer: not intended as either an attack on or defense of either Mike K. or Salty Dog. The specific example S.D. brings up as "name-calling" is not name-calling. Psychologically, though, it may feel like you are called a name when someone is being: funny, mean, insulting, demeaning, teasing, flip, and so on. Name-calling is just one "technique" so to speak of a type of communication. So usually I just quietly watch the round-and-round-commenting with one party announcing 'twasn't name-calling and the other believing 'twas a lie--as it definitely "felt" like there was a "mean" name sent their way. Words have lots of uses.

• Salty DogAugust 11, 2014 - 11:36 pm

Yes the sugar jar when ever a liberal like mike is being funny, mean, insulting, demeaning, teasing, flip, as you say. it is ok its not name calling but when ever a conservative says something like that liberals are quick to say its name calling or racists. You start out by saying it is nether an attack on or defense of either Mike K. or myself, that statement is in defense of mike who is a liberal like your self.

• The SugarJarAugust 12, 2014 - 1:06 am

That's how you see it Salty Dog. I'd say your conclusion is not correct. I understand you didn't like what he said. I did not say it was okay. You could have taken his comment as funny. You did not. It obviously felt personal to you. Rather than going on about name calling, if you want to call him on the comment, use different words. On the other hand, if he wished to, he could translate the words name calling into something more general like you didn't appreciate his comment. Instead it's round and round about something you (plural you) cannot agree is factual--because you (plural you) are using different criteria. It wasn't a defense or an attack as much as it was am observation. As far as I know it's some wacky communication-style designed to avoid communication. It certainly seems to be cherished here in general, Once in awhile I feel compelled to point it out. I disagree with everyone on here sometimes and I agree with everyone sometimes.

• rlw895August 11, 2014 - 10:45 pm

SD: Mike has nothing to say? He writes a column twice a month. You may not agree, but he says a lot, and I've found it pretty good material.

• Tired-of-itAugust 12, 2014 - 8:44 am

Yep, Mike says a lot alright. A lot of useless nonsense. I'm sure all the bleeding heart, liberal, socialist thinking readers think his opinion is "pretty good material." Once again , rlw, thanks for the morning laugh. By the way, what color Pom poms were you waving when you wrote that?

• rlw895August 12, 2014 - 8:55 am

(Yawn) Good morning to you too.

• ArtimusAugust 11, 2014 - 11:35 pm

Jack Batson is such a good cheap salesperson such as Mike.

• FDCAugust 11, 2014 - 9:23 am

“Name one hole” OK, how about “They think 98 percent of the world’s climate scientists are liars.” No, Jack and rlw895, we (“they”) think the 98 percent number itself is bogus, phony, fabricated. If one researches where the 98 percent number comes from, one learns it includes so-called scientists of every discipline imaginable. The very small number of true climate scientists either are noncommittal on the subject or are on record as doubting anthropological reasons for global warming/climate change/climate disruption, or whatever the Gore worshipers are calling it now. When confronted with the fact that the globe has NOT been warming for a number of years, worshipers of the cult of global warming had to come up with another name. Another “hole”: “They enjoy “hate the president” campaigns.” If exposing Mr. Obama’s ineptitude and willful disregard for the law is “hate”, then so be it. Funny how Jack and his Democrat allies recoiled at the use of the word “hate” in their daily, hourly, minute-by-minute attacks on Mr. Bush yet are now upset that their idol receives similar treatment. Now, rlw895, that’s truly hypocritical. Another “hole”: “They have no interest in solving our hopelessly outdated immigration policy.” The truth is that Republicans, and many Democrats, refuse to kneel down and submit to Mr. Obama’s demands for blanket, immediate amnesty. So, dear reader, this letter is just another dish of humbug served up by a political turncoat. Humbug!

• Mr. SmithAugust 11, 2014 - 9:36 am

Good job, FDC.

• rlw895August 11, 2014 - 10:49 pm

Thanks, FDC. Are you also truth'n? If so, why don't you stick with one pseudonym? I'll let Jack respond to those "holes," if he wishes, but that gives us something to go on.

• Rick Wood http://www.factcheck.org/2012/03/santorums-science/August 11, 2014 - 11:03 pm

FDC: If you Google "fact check 98 of climate scientists," the first reference seems to corroborate Jack. Are we quibbling over the definition of "climate scientist?" The survey cited uses the term "climate researchers most often published." That would seem to be a pretty good definition of "climate scientists." See the link.

• Rick WoodAugust 11, 2014 - 11:12 pm

FDC: I agree with you on the misuse of the word "hate." That's a label one side uses to discredit an argument against "its" guy. You may notice I try to avoid the use of the words "hate," "fair," and "lie," unless they demonstrably apply, and they too rarely do when I see them offered up by others.

• Rick WoodAugust 11, 2014 - 11:20 pm

FDC: As for immigration policy, it seems like both sides would rather play politics with it. Will the political climate EVER be ready for that to stop? But it does seem the "new" Republicans have even abandoned Republican proposals from as recently as the GWB years. It's getting worse, not better. Jack is writing op-ed pieces that are designed to be provocative, but on immigration policy, I'd say while "no interest" is an exaggeration, it's close to the truth when all proposals someone offers is DOA and even more extreme than the last president from one's own party. But while we're on the subject, I've tried to interest anyone from either side in proposing removal of "birthright citizenship" from the Constitution and placing it in statute instead. To me, that is the "low hanging fruit" of immigration reform and could be the start of cooperation across the aisle. Yet it's not even discussed seriously in congress. Why not?

• TermiteAugust 11, 2014 - 6:28 am

Poor ole Jack. He begins with a totally false statement about "...many of the opinion pieces submitted by our local residents to the Daily Republic..." and goes downhill from there with his usual weird interpretation of facts and history. Jack, you didn't switch party because of ideology, you switched to the party with the most registered voters. You are now an embarrassment to that party.

• Rick WoodAugust 11, 2014 - 6:34 am

The DR wants a local angle from every local opinion columnist while also limiting the column to 600 words. Don't blame jack for that line and for not citing specific example. Perhaps he will provide a few in these comments. I've found it to be true enough.

• Mike KirchubelAugust 11, 2014 - 8:55 am

Rick, the editor only demands a local angle from the Progressive writers. Take a look at Colleen's article to the right and tell me the local angle. If you're interested, check back in the files, it's the same every week.

• StRAugust 11, 2014 - 10:06 am

Mike that is not a fair statement in that todays ( 's, this is a test) article by Colleen can apply to all county residents interested in opting their children out of Common Core as much as possible. See there is a local angle.

• mike kirchubelAugust 11, 2014 - 12:16 pm

StR, as does everything i write, but that's not the criterion. I must mention fairfield or solano and if it's not enough, i will get an email saying add more. Sometimes they just throw things in, willy nilly, and it appears as if i wrote it. I don't see anything like that with the right wingers.

• Sid E. WheysAugust 11, 2014 - 1:17 pm

Actually I think most all the opinion columns are slanted too far to either the left or right.... nothing that really exposes the Dialectic Involved.... But yes I can see how you would feel somewhat "put upon". I should think the important thing would be that in General the columns on both sides create interest and public debate at the local level, cause local people read it, and that no specific reference to our locality is totally necessary, although this is a nice addition if possible.... Have I managed to disambulate my point sufficiently? Was the word disambulate used correctly here?.... This is a Test. PS... I hope you are feeling better. Do you want me to insult you?... Just for fun? If I have the time?

• Mike KirchubelAugust 11, 2014 - 6:46 pm

A dialectic needs two views. This paper supplies only one, most days. Hard to form a synthesis when one side refuses to do anything. We all suffer from it.

• DanielAugust 11, 2014 - 6:43 am

Jackie like Mikie definetly sees the world with extremely tainted glasses. I question if he ever was really a Republican, I doubt it.

• rlw895August 11, 2014 - 6:58 am

If so, glasses tainted by mud kicked up by "real" Republicans. Doubt all you want, but Jack is a convert, as am I and millions of others. "Real" Republicans have driven moderates and liberals out of the party.

• Teach5thAugust 11, 2014 - 7:22 am

Jack "was" a Republican like Geraldo Rivera "is" a Republican.

• JagAugust 11, 2014 - 8:40 am

Teach, good to see you back, have you been here under another name? ,,,,, Remember this is an opinion piece and this guy has a right to his opinion as useless as it is,

• Teach5thAugust 11, 2014 - 3:15 pm

Thanks, Jag. No, to your question. I've been on vacation, and now it's back-to-school. ---- As to the "...he has a right to his opinion" comment - I get that. I'm just embarrassed by the outright lying some folks feel they must do to try to fit into a political group. I'm a teacher who tries to get kids to THINK. They must cite evidence to prove that they are thinking. So many libs have no evidence to cite so they make stuff up. They'd never make it in a 5th grade Common Core class.

• rlw895August 12, 2014 - 9:02 am

T5: How soon you forget what the Republican party stood for just a generation ago.

• BobAugust 11, 2014 - 7:01 am

Jack, I am what you are but I'm ashamed at the cover ups and lies being told. Hillary was removed from the Democrat Watergate committee just after law school for trying to keep Nixon (bad man) from testifying, removed and hid public papers, lied. Now she wants to run for President WOW

• bobby42August 11, 2014 - 9:44 am

Amen! Super Column.

• JagAugust 11, 2014 - 9:46 am

And correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t it Newt Gingrich and a republican house in charge when welfare reform and those surpluses were going on?

• bobby42August 11, 2014 - 9:47 am

I added my comment before reading all the others...should have just said, Very Good Column, Jack. I agree with you completely.

• Today Monday on InfowarsAugust 11, 2014 - 10:56 am

On this Monday, August 11 edition of the Alex Jones Show, Alex covers a variety of major news, including the fatal police shooting of an unarmed teen in Ferguson, Missouri, this past weekend which led to mass rioting in the city. One convenience store in particular was set ablaze after it was completely looted. In other news, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is calling for the abolishment of Common Core, Obamacare and the IRS. Radio broadcaster and pastor Chuck Baldwin joins the show to explain how independent, unincorporated churches are rising up to spread the ideas of liberty as an alternative to establishment churches muzzled by state incorporation and the 501c3 government tax-status. Nationally syndicated radio host and legal analyst Lionel also joins the show to discuss the latest economic and geopolitical news facing the nation....................Rapture or No Rapture? talk about this?......

• StRAugust 11, 2014 - 11:23 am

Should read The Democrat Party and The Republican Party – are both.... BOTH a clear and present danger to our country..... Both parties are controlled by the New World Order Luciferians and their International Banking/Corporate/Intelligence Agencies/ Military Industrial Complexes and the control of the Central Banks of almost every country..... Our Government is not our Government, it is run By City of London and European Interests.

• JimboAugust 11, 2014 - 12:41 pm

The still tantrumming since November 2008 sore losers are worse than even your average toddler.

• Larry WAugust 11, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Jimbo. The people who are throwing a tantrum are those folks yelling death to the cops and rioting. Spending cuts are a no win situation for the republicans. When they attempt to make a cut or limit growth of spending they are accused of attempting to starve children, kill old people, and murder minorities. They even get accused of stealing Christmas from those on the left, who acknowledge its existence as a Holliday. No one would want to be accused of these things so they spend way more than they should. It's time to tighten up our belts and live within our means.

• Today Tuesday on InfowarsAugust 12, 2014 - 9:04 am

On the Tuesday, August 12 broadcast of the Alex Jones Show, Alex exposes how the establishment media has consciously underreported the death of a young girl likely due to an HPV Gardasil vaccine, and explores other ways public education brainwashes young minds. Jones also breaks down how ISIS terror threats will be exploited to target politically active Americans who are adversarial to the Obama administration, even though NSA documents reveal the leader of ISIS to be a CIA intelligence asset. On today's show, Jones continues looking at the police state response to the “war zone” sparked in Ferguson, Missouri, following the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, and also provides updates on the Ebola outbreak, which has now claimed 1,000 lives. We'll also cover Obama's excessive vacationing and his back and forth with Hillary, and other hard-hitting news items as we take your calls during this global transmission.wwwinfowarscom

• http://alittletruth.hubpages.com/hub/Hegelian-Dialectic-Illuminati-New-World-OrderAugust 12, 2014 - 9:24 am

Google.... hegelian dialectic as used by the illuminati...See....Hegelian Dialectic – The No. 1 Tool of the Illuminati -with examples ..................Well, if you understand the Hegelian Dialectic you will understand why these things happen. You will look at the news with a whole new level of understanding. But far, far better and more important than that, you will know what you can do to help stop it. And you can tell your friends. And when we get enough people doing their part to help, all of the above - all of it and more, will be history and will never happen again unless or until we forget again....... Posters Note.... Maybe this piece does not Specifically state that there are both DEMOCRAT and REPUBLICAN players in this.... ans Zionist/Jesuit/Masonic-sorta Protestant./ Corporate elements..... basically everything has been infiltrated kind of per the Protocols of Zion..... see the study I was trying to do is..... According to people who have left the Illuminati.... it is organized and operates even down to the local county level.... an actual low level illumines, a county supervisor here, a mayor there, a State House Representative, or Police chief here or there closely monitored by one of "them". See so to blame everything totally on the top elite is not totally correct because they have lower level operatives also... at the county and city level. and this is not limited to the United States, it is in all country of the world... they try to have elite and lower level people stationed and in place.

• Correction.... I have a bad headache againAugust 12, 2014 - 9:38 am

• A really bad headache... try try againAugust 12, 2014 - 9:50 am

According to people who have left the Illuminati.... it is organized and operates even down to the local county level.... An actual low level illuminatus, a generational member, ( sometimes just an inductee) a County Supervisor here, a Mayor there, a State House Representative, or a Police Chief here or there closely monitored by one of "them", even maybe one of your local Librarians….. See so to blame everything totally on the top elite is not totally correct because they have lower level operatives also... at the county and city level. This is not limited to the United States, it is in all countries of the world... they try to have elite and lower level illuminatus stationed and in place at all levels of government and society. And….This does not include all of the people outside of the actual Illuminati that they put in place because these other people can help them fulfill the incremental plans of this evil organization. PS Also at all Media, Educational, Legal, Scientific levels.

• StRAugust 12, 2014 - 10:27 am

Now as far as this.... Below are links to some examples. Just keep in mind that any endeavor to get truth out to the masses, once it gets big enough, is subject to stealthy infiltration and control by the ruling elite. It then becomes part of the controlled opposition..... My motto is Trust No One..... keep above in consideration.... But you have to listen to Who has most consistently told us the truth in the past.

• So see the moral of the story is....August 12, 2014 - 10:46 am

Even this article I quoted that mostly tells the truth.... could be part of a PSYOP by the evil powers.... they are so very evil and tricky. If you are Christian it is time to pray and READ REVELATION IN THE BIBLE..... the very best you can do as an individual is to remember the Ten Commandments and do not be part of the Evil.... Pastors should be asking their congregations When was the last time?, have you ever read? at least the entire New Testatment.... and remember these words... THANK YOU JESUS SAVE ME.... for you Heathens... maybe it will work at the very last minute if you have time to at least remember to think this.... better to say it out loud....

• StR...August 12, 2014 - 11:08 am

or maybe I just misinterpreted the placement of this line in the article....."It then becomes part of the controlled opposition." ANYWAY if you want the truth you have to WAKE UP.... please read this article. Thank you

• rlw895August 12, 2014 - 11:39 am

Try to focus. No one reads your stuff.

• ?August 12, 2014 - 12:45 pm

rlw.... Do you have an encyclopedic memory or do you Google stuff?.... To what would you attribute you're superior intelligence too? Too questions I would like an answer to? Please Please do tell.....

• http://www.highiq.net/August 12, 2014 - 3:50 pm

See High IQ test 1 Numerical.... Quick rlw take this test....Google I q test ranges.... See...IQ chart - IQ test for free... or in real life you don't need to be really smart, just need to be able to hire yourself a Gary type when needed....My guess is that you are probably about a 126.5..... Oh..... rlw.... you are so interesting!

• SavetheRepublicAugust 12, 2014 - 4:30 pm

@ rlw...... I appeal to your Superior Intellect and Intellectual Honesty.......The current United States situation has been compared to ..... The Fall of the Roman Empire.... The Roman Empire exhausted itself primarily because of two courses of action....#1 Overarching warfare, spreading itself too thin fighting wars.... #2 Providing Bread and Circuses to the people, so that the Elite could stay in power...... Do you agree with this summation?

• StRAugust 12, 2014 - 4:44 pm

These are also good studies....Google...roman empire monetary system and History of taxation Roman Empire

• Mr. SmithAugust 12, 2014 - 4:51 pm

StR: Shoo! Why did we ever outlaw DDT?

• ? ( just joking OK )August 12, 2014 - 5:02 pm

Mr. Smith you are as Dull, Old, Dusty and One-sided as a Chalkboard hanging on the wall of a One-room School House that has been abandoned for 80 years....

• FDCAugust 12, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Str, you didn't ask me but here's my two cents: Durant also blames the fall of Rome as follows:"The essential causes of Rome's decline lay in her people, her morals, her class struggle, her failing trade, her bureaucratic despotism, her stifling taxes, her consuming wars."See "Caesar and Christ", 1944,Epilogue. Rome's family unit, the backbone of her citizenry collapsed, her morals decayed to be almost as bad as ours of today, her religious principles waned. Durant says: "The political causes of decay were rooted in one fact-that increasing despotism destroyed the citizen's civic sense and dried up statesmanship at its source." Better you read Durant than my weak attempt to tell of his writings. But when you do read him, your reaction probably will be "OMG! We are there already!"

• ? Very good FDC... I agree......You are doing very well...August 12, 2014 - 8:36 pm

Can I insult you also?..... Please it is just "for fun".... do not hate me for this..... this is a test.... OK.... take a gander at this.......FDC you are as painfully retentive as a large constipated goose.

• You Always Hurt The One You Love - Brenda Lee - 1962August 12, 2014 - 9:12 pm

Police enlist help to find armed bandit

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Chamber PAC draws candidates to Jelly Belly

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Police catch 10 during weekend checkpoint

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Vacaville police seek weekend shooting suspect

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Weather for Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Coastal Cleanup Day targets local waterways

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Drama reigns supreme with week’s film debuts

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Judge questions juror in Calkins case

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5

Suisun City slaying suspect case moves forward

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Touro University to host Zombie Run/Walk

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Land trust organizes Rockville Trails Preserve hike

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5

6 killed, 15 wounded in east Ukraine city

US to assign 3,000 from US military to fight Ebola

Afghan suicide bomber kills 3 foreign troops

State Sen. Wright resigns after voter fraud case

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war

Decades later, Vietnam soldiers get Medal of Honor

Mystery airstrikes target Libyan Islamist militias

Tiny Qatar plays outsize role in US war strategy

Generation gap: Young Scots favor independence

Police: Rifle used to ambush Pennsylvania troopers

Hurricane Odile slams Mexico’s Baja California

House GOP moves ahead on Syrian rebel training

Kerry: US open to talks with Iran on Islamic State

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Poll: Voters support legal path for immigrants

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Man suspected of firing on kids at ice cream truck

By The Associated Press | From Page:

NASA inspector blasts asteroid protection program

Officials disclose Delaware funeral home Jonestown remains

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Southern California swelters in heat wave

Northern California wildfire burns 100 homes

9 hurt in crash on SF Bay Area freeway

By The Associated Press | From Page:

PG&E officials removed for improper communications

Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library’s short list

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Powerful Washington lobbyist Boggs dies at 73

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Column focus on campaign signs misplaced

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Sept. 16, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Apple releases tool to remove free U2 album

Cat Stevens announces brief US concert tour

Forward-thinking U2 innovating while entertaining

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Revamped ‘View’ begins its daytime run

Clooney to receive HFPA’s Cecil B. DeMille Award

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Exhibition looks at genius of carousel inventor

Miss America: More to worry about than red cup

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Protocol followed in detention of actress

Jean Paul Gaultier to stop making ready-to-wear

Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault

Bob Crewe, ‘Walk Like a Man’ writer, dead at 83

TVGrid Seot 16

Diamondbacks knock off Giants 6-2

Prep boys soccer: Vanden wins, Armijo ties, VCS falls

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Prep volleyball: VCS swept by Woodland Christian

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Foles leads Eagles to 30-27 win against Colts

This date in sports history for Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Cardinals manager can relate to Stanton incident

As troops exit, Britain aids soccer in Afghanistan

By The Associated Press | From Page:

US uses big third quarter to pull away from Canada

Backup QBs make their marks in Week 2

By Barry Wilner | From Page:

NFL, union close to finalizing new drug policy

Tanaka 5 scoreless innings in instructional league

Mets rookie deGrom ties K mark; Marlins win 6-5

Papelbon suspended 7 games by MLB

Dream Team, Barcelona Games continue to impact NBA

US basketball reigns in Spain, awaits Rio Olympics

AP Source: Raiders to sign WR Vincent Brown

Raiders embarrassed after 0-2 start

Redskins optimistic RG3 will return this season

Pistorius free to compete, SA Olympic body says

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Woods says strength is back, but not swing

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Domestic violence experts added as NFL advisers

Union expects to file Rice appeal Tuesday

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Vikings bring back Peterson despite abuse charge

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Patriots still not quite right with ball

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Harbaugh: McDonald’s legal process must play out

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state revenue

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Speculation swirls over Fed language on rate hike

GM expert says 19 deaths eligible for compensation

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Once-troubled reverse mortgages poised for rebound

Apple: Record 4M orders of iPhones on 1st day

By The Associated Press | From Page:

‘Minecraft’ could boost Microsoft’s mobile reach

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Stocks mixed ahead of Fed; small companies slump

Minnie Lee Dixon