wade kelvin column sig copy

Local opinion columnists

Are illegal immigrants the ones ruining America?

By From page A7 | July 24, 2014

I’ve been troubled by the 55,000-plus Central American children who came into this country illegally. I’m troubled that they came and were disturbed by the angry crowds with their often-misspelled signs screaming at them. It’s not that I think we should have wide-open borders. No, the thing that really troubles me was crystallized in the case of admitted Travis Dairy killer Dezmon Frazier.

Frazier admitted causing the death of Travis Dairy owner Ho Kim and, while awaiting sentencing, was busted for allegedly carrying a concealed handgun. After posting $50,000 bail, he vanished – before being apprehended Wednesday.

But first, back to the undocumented immigrants. We used to accuse them of coming here and taking our jobs. But most of those jobs are entry-level service jobs or jobs calling for hard physical labor that citizens generally avoid.

So the new argument is that they’re coming here to get welfare, food stamps, housing and free health care. Never mind that legal status is a requirement for these benefits. But most of those kids are escaping lawlessness in their home countries. In Honduras, with gang violence and drug cartels flourishing, the murder rate is 90 per 100,000. By contrast, in the United States the murder rate is under 5 per 100,000.

By far, most undocumented immigrants from Central America come here to work. For evidence that the majority are coming for work and not a handout all one has to do is look at illegal immigration over the past 10 years. As the job situation worsened in America and the safety net grew, illegal immigration plummeted.

This may not be politically correct, but when I pull up to a stoplight and there’s a panhandler on the corner, I don’t believe I’ve seen too many Hispanic ones.

You can drive by a Home Depot or other hardware store in most cities and see a group of Hispanic men standing there waiting to be picked up for day jobs. I don’t see many whites or blacks out there waiting for that hard physical labor.

Of course, no one should be allowed to illegally enter the country, whether it’s coming over the border or overstaying a visa, which 40 percent of illegal immigrants do. To deal with the problem, our do-nothing Congress and president need to pass reform. CCentral American governments need to do more as well on their end.

So what does illegal immigration have to do with the killer of the Travis Dairy owner? There’s probably a guy the same age as Dezmon Frazier being detained along the border. This Hispanic guy maybe fled Guatemala or Honduras and wants to be safe, go to school and get a job. I wish we could bring in a kid like that while shipping our local American-born admitted killer to Honduras. I worry more about the Dezmon Fraziers than the Juan Valdez’s.

I’m far more concerned about judges setting bail too low, killers roaming free, parolees released to our streets and gang activity. There are many undocumented immigrants that believe in the American dream, while too many fellow citizens squander their birthright and create an American nightmare for the rest of us. Peace.

Kelvin Wade, a former Fairfield resident, is the author of “Morsels” Vols. I and II and lives in Sacramento. Email him at [email protected]

Kelvin Wade

Kelvin Wade

• Tax PayerJuly 24, 2014 - 5:42 am

Kelvin, another great column. You hit the nail on the head when you said we should send our criminals to Honduras and keep the illegals who will work for a living. I wish this could be done as most illegals are hard working. Our criminal element, normally fatherless continue to commit crimes. I hope that Dezmon has a very painful life in prison.

• Lynn HenricksonJuly 25, 2014 - 2:23 pm

Tax Payer, when mentioning our "criminal element" being fatherless, well that is not exactly true they all have fathers biologically (only virgin Mary pulled this one off) they just don't have fathers that support them. Why because many of their fathers have been locked up, most drug related crimes... Hummm... Ironic isn't it that here we have people proposing to send our criminals there, trading them for the children that are running from drug cartels there. Now tell me, how well that "War On Drugs" that was started during Ronny Baby's years in the white house. What needs to happen here is all inmates that have children on the outside need to be given jobs like sorting recycling from garbage, pay them decently so that money can be sent home to those "fatherless" children and give them all a better life, instilling hope & compassion. Then maybe they won't need to take, sell, abuse drugs.

• 2realJuly 24, 2014 - 6:12 am

To answer your question no. Congress and obama are ruining america. With take chargers in both those positions, illegals wouldnt be a prob, because it would have been handled.

• BobJuly 24, 2014 - 6:36 am

The part about whites and blacks not standing on a corner wanting to do hard labor was BS, I was an Ironworker for 40 years, I slept in my car waiting in line in the 70's just to get admitted to an apprenticeship program for 3 days with my wife during the winter in Reno. At 65 you still don't want to mess with me. These apprenticeship programs are open to anyone, it does help if you speak English. Even the Termites (carpenters) will take them, get off the corners go to a union hall and sign up. Kevin that was BS about hard work and color

• Lynn HenricksonJuly 24, 2014 - 2:11 pm

Bob, I had no idea it was that easy to get into the apprenticeship programs. I would have assumed like everything else there was little or no chance of getting into a program. Perhaps an article can be written about how to exactly get into these programs. BUT...I have a feeling we are going to find out, that things have changed some since the 1970's; and that it is not that easy to get into these programs anymore. . As for these children coming, I can't believe how ugly people can be, we Americans cannot imagine how terrible life in other countries has to be, for a parent to send your child across thousand of miles for the Hope, (not Promise) of a chance at a better life, or for any life, as opposed to certain death. If we should get some of these children locally, [and we might] that we will welcome them and show them that there is hope, and for that matter show our own young people that:.. there is hope..that someone cares...that we are Americans that welcome those in need.

• antiBLOBJuly 24, 2014 - 7:36 pm

You are out of your mind.

• mikeJuly 24, 2014 - 6:41 pm

Bravo lynn an excellent comment. These children are suffering and they need help. USA has a responsibility to do just that. The mormans have that system all ready with teachings ( not about religion ) but about quality of life. America's children can join the teachings also. They learn they work they grow. The strong go on to pass the gift of what it is to be free .