Letters to editor

When will Clay Bank Road be finished?

By From page A8 | December 11, 2012

For nearly two years now the residents of Fairfield who live in and around the Clay Bank Road area of east Fairfield have had to put up with the dismal and dangerous conditions of that road.

It was torn up nearly two years ago for a sewer project that was completed a year ago, but the street was never repaved. As I have read in the paper and have noticed in my travels around Fairfield, numerous streets and intersections have been or are slated to be torn up and repaved while Clay Bank Road remains neglected.

My question to the Fairfield Public Works Department and the City Council is when is Clay Bank Road going to be repaved?

I’m tired of the bumpy ride.

Tony Naramore

Letter to the Editor

• WoodyDecember 11, 2012 - 4:49 am

Oh, I agree. That road is terrible. You'd think the restoration would have been part of the contract to do the work. Your tires wobble like a misalignment the entire length of Claybank between Tabor and Parkway. Good question Tony.

• Time for a changeDecember 11, 2012 - 7:47 am

They don't care about the minority side of town...this is nothing new...I bet they wouldn't leave the laurel creek roads half finished...

• Rick WoodDecember 11, 2012 - 11:40 am

Although this project was done after I retired from the City, I sort of feel responsible, at least for providing an unofficial reply. I initiated the project’s planning in the mid-1980s, shortly after I came to work for the City as Assistant Director of Public Works in charge of the Water Treatment Division. All I had to do was study a waterline map, and it sort of jumped out at me. The project that went in that part of Clay Bank (believe me, I know; I drive that part often enough) was a 36-inch diameter treated water pipeline. It is a segment of a much bigger project, the 11-mile Fairfield East-West Water Transmission Pipeline, that intimately will link the North Bay Regional Water Treatment Plant on Peabody Road with Cordelia. The City is building the bigger project in segments, and it’s well over half finished now. The project will provide the City water system with a major increase in overall reliability (not that it's bad now), especially in Cordelia. So it's important. But that doesn't explain or excuse the time it has taken to replace the pavement on the Clay Bank segment. Let me contact the people at the City and get back to you. Paving is not typically done in the winter, so at best, it’s still going to be a wait….OK, I left the keyboard and talked to Felix Riesenberg, who now sits in “my” office at City Hall. Here it is: What’s held up the project repaving is a delay in making the financial arrangements for replacing another major water line in the same stretch of road. That pipeline serves Suisun City and vicinity from the Cement Hill Water Treatment Plant (located at the north end of Clay Bank Road). It’s old enough that it should be relocated and replaced before the repaving Clay Bank. Funding had to be arranged with Suisun City and Solano Irrigation District, which jointly operate the treatment plant and pipeline under their Suisun-Solano Water Authority joint powers agreement. The contract to do the pipeline project and the repaving is tentatively scheduled to go to the Fairfield City Council on January 15, and the work should be done, I would think, in the spring. The end is near! And I hope you agree with me, it’s better to do all the underground work before final repaving. You are going to like the final result; Fairfield does first class paving jobs, when it has the money.

• Rick WoodDecember 11, 2012 - 11:43 am

Oops! That's "ultimately," not "intimately," though maybe both could apply;-).

• JagDecember 11, 2012 - 6:51 pm

But they probably could of hired a company out of Benicia called Underground construction for half the price and been done

• Rick WoodDecember 14, 2012 - 2:17 pm

But when other agencies are involved in benefiting and paying, financial arrangments still have to be made. What the amount will be will depend on competitive bids.