Monday, March 30, 2015

Watch out for grandson scam

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | April 18, 2014 |

This letter is an alert to grandmothers.

There is a scam operating in this area. A young man will call saying he is your oldest grandson, saying his voice is different because he is wearing a neck brace. He states he had an auto accident that morning; a car pulled in front of him, he couldn’t stop and rear-ended the car.

He then puts his so-called court-appointed attorney on the phone. The so-called attorney states the problem is the man driving the car he hit is a military Mexican diplomat, who is planning to return to Mexico that day, and if your grandson doesn’t furnish the money for damages today he will be jailed until the insurance company settles, which could be up to two weeks. Could you put up the money? The insurance company (I was told Allstate) will reimburse you.

I thought I was helping my grandson, so I wired the money to Mexico.

I went to the Fairfield police to try to make a report. They didn’t give any help. So grandma, you are on your own. Please be alert to any similar phone calls.

Billie Evans

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• boomApril 08, 2014 - 7:48 pm

Service with a smile at the new user friendly FFPD. I'm sorry you were targeted and I am glad you chose to educate other people so they will not be taken advantage of.

• CD BrooksApril 08, 2014 - 8:54 pm

This is possibly one of the most ridiculous "scams" I've ever heard! THIS letter is a scam!

• Danny BuntinApril 18, 2014 - 6:01 pm

Its real CD. My grandmother called me a couple years ago saying my brother was in jail in Argentina. Of course I knew it was incorrect, because I had just hung up the phone after speaking with him. They thought it was legit, I told them to forget about the call, and never do anything that involves credit cards or wiring money from someone who calls.

• CD BrooksApril 19, 2014 - 6:15 am

Danny, okay good enough. I guess my anger is aimed at folks that pay up this stuff. I get preying on emotion because it s proven to be effective. But I hate the thought of anyone getting stung.

• Jerry BowenApril 18, 2014 - 3:42 am

The scam is real. When I received the same call I intentionally replied with Hi and a name that was not my grandson's. The caller continued and and he assumed that was a name. I hung up and notified the FBI Fraud department. You will find a lot of good info about the different scams out there on the FBI web page. JWB

• Warren C. SheldonApril 18, 2014 - 7:06 am

CDB: The letter to the editor is NOT a scam. I had the same experience; was supposed to send the money to the Dominican Republic. The supposed police officer called back after about two hours to see if the money had been wired. I told him the American Embassy in Santo Domingo had never heard of my grandson or him and that I had just talked with my grandson who was, at the moment, in North Carolina.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 7:32 am

Mr. Sheldon with all due respect, really? This is by far one of the most st*pid examples of a scam I've ever heard! I just don't buy it and frankly, don't understand how anyone would.

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 7:50 am

CD>>Because, who was it that said, "There's a sucker born every 30 sec." Now to anyone that is stupid enough to fall for this, go right to your PC and open up all the junk email telling you that you've one the lottery, and be sure to help out that Prince that needs assistance over in Nigeria. They are all waiting for your response>>LOL.

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 7:52 am

TYPO: Meant WON the Lottery :-)

• Danny BuntinApril 18, 2014 - 6:08 pm

@CD: It is all about fear. My G Parents absorb so much Fox News, they believe the sky will fall at any moment. I usually hold my tongue when visiting, and count the the tile squares in the kitchen.

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 10:55 am

anyone who falls for a scam like this is more than likely an Obama voter

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 11:30 am

Patrick, the only person silly enough to makes such a ridiculous comment and politicize this garbage is without a doubt a Republican!

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 2:04 pm

independent --- always voted for the best man

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 2:41 pm

Words can come back to haunt us. The Quote of the Decade: "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better." ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006 he was not the best man CD

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 3:08 pm

Patrick, or a wayward independent! Obama was the best man and remains so. The alternative was frighteningly horrific.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Patrick, you do know that speech took place in 2006 right? In 2011 Mr. Obama said: "I think that it's important to understand the vantage point of a senator versus the vantage point of a president. When you're a senator, traditionally what's happened is, this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit — for the United States by a trillion dollars. As president, you start realizing, you know what, we, we can't play around with this stuff. This is the full faith and credit of the United States. And so that was just an example of a new senator making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I'm the first one to acknowledge it." I like to say context is king. I also like presenting the rest of the story.

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 4:47 pm

but---$17,000,000,000,000,000

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 4:50 pm

didn't like either one of them, but I had to vote

• General Fadi BasemApril 18, 2014 - 6:27 pm

I had a great time years ago playing at "419 scambaiting". The story sounds credible to me. But then, when I was a Major in the Iraq Army I died along with my family in a roadside bomb blast. The terrible tragedy was reflected in numerous 419 scam emails. Fortunatly me and my family survived after our deaths and my rank and pension were increased to General rank. Not very much, given Iraq's turmoil. Please send your donations and your grandkids' inheritance as a bank wire transfer to the following address: IAMANIDIOTANDIWILLSENDYOUALLMYMONEY. Thank you very much!

• General Fadi BasemApril 18, 2014 - 6:39 pm

I left a comment a couple of minutes ago, I must have included a word or three that befouled the comment censor.

• Mr. SmithApril 18, 2014 - 7:29 pm

Gen. Basem: An occasional post I write will "disappear" into the ozone, even though I don't recall using "forbidden words." Sometimes I suspect it was CONTENT that caused the censor to pull the plug. Can this be? Or is it just a transmission failure? Who rules on CONTENT, IF that is happening? What are the boundaries for "offensiveness? Seems like a slippery slope, to me. I, for one, would welcome a policy that provides for clarification from the censor every now and then as to what triggered the action.

• The SugarJarApril 18, 2014 - 7:48 pm

It is a shame when people take advantage of others. I was trying to imagine one oft grandsons calling and saying this is your oldest grandson. Would sound fishy to me. But if either too trusting or caught by emotion, some people are easier to fool than others. Shane on those who try to take advantage of those who might be more susceptible. :(

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 9:50 pm

OK, People, here is a good way to avoid being suckered. NEVER EVER answer your phone from any number that you do not recognize, Caller ID, being the best tool for this. Then let any unrecognized numbers go to either your answering machine or VM (Voice mail) if you use that. If you don't have Caller ID (That is a paid landline feature, included on all Cell phones, I believe), let all your calls go to an answering machine, monitoring them.

2 drivers killed in same area, an hour apart

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 19 Comments

Easter activities, events abundant

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Christians begin Holy Week with Palm Sunday celebrations

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

My guide to dining out

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2, 5 Comments

Local governments post week’s meeting times

Top young spellers to compete for Solano title

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3

Police investigate shooting off North Texas Street

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 12 Comments | Gallery

Vallejo police seek leads in weekend homicide

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Biz Buzz: Re/Max hires new Realtor

Biz Buzz: PAL receives donation from glass company

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Biz Buzz: Wiseman officer names Perez to key post

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A10

Analysis finds unequal pay for women on California Capitol

Songwriter injured in California crash; motorcyclist killed

Taylor Swift wins artist of the year at iHeartRadio Awards

Court ruling opens door for federal execution of murderer

Police: 2 bodies found in NYC building explosion rubble

Waving fronds around the world, Christians mark Palm Sunday

Small tsunami generated in Pacific after earthquake

Community Calendar: March 30, 2015

Today in History: March 30, 2015

Horoscopes: March 30, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B6

Parenting: If a father is abusive, a mother must act

By The Washington Post | From Page: B8

Horoscopes: March 31, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B8

TVGrid March 30

TVGrid March 31

Michelle Obama declares ‘Black Girls Rock!’

By The Associated Press | From Page: A11, 4 Comments

Spartans Final Four-bound after 76-70 OT win over Louisville

Duke back in Final Four after 66-52 win over Gonzaga

Hamlin wins for 25th time, and fifth time at Martinsville

Jimmy Walker wins hometown Texas Open

Oakland OF Josh Reddick won’t be ready for start of season

California Chrome heads to Britain, to race at Royal Ascot

Vettel wins Malaysian GP to end Mercedes streak

Joe Gibbs on son: most courageous person I’ve been around

Chodounsky defends slalom title at US Alpine Championships

South Carolina earns 1st Final Four berth, beats FSU 80-74

Turner says Saturday regional finals highest-rated in decade

Apology for wrong anthem for El Salvador before game in US