Saturday, October 25, 2014

Watch out for grandson scam

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | April 18, 2014 |

This letter is an alert to grandmothers.

There is a scam operating in this area. A young man will call saying he is your oldest grandson, saying his voice is different because he is wearing a neck brace. He states he had an auto accident that morning; a car pulled in front of him, he couldn’t stop and rear-ended the car.

He then puts his so-called court-appointed attorney on the phone. The so-called attorney states the problem is the man driving the car he hit is a military Mexican diplomat, who is planning to return to Mexico that day, and if your grandson doesn’t furnish the money for damages today he will be jailed until the insurance company settles, which could be up to two weeks. Could you put up the money? The insurance company (I was told Allstate) will reimburse you.

I thought I was helping my grandson, so I wired the money to Mexico.

I went to the Fairfield police to try to make a report. They didn’t give any help. So grandma, you are on your own. Please be alert to any similar phone calls.

Billie Evans

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• boomApril 08, 2014 - 7:48 pm

Service with a smile at the new user friendly FFPD. I'm sorry you were targeted and I am glad you chose to educate other people so they will not be taken advantage of.

• CD BrooksApril 08, 2014 - 8:54 pm

This is possibly one of the most ridiculous "scams" I've ever heard! THIS letter is a scam!

• Danny BuntinApril 18, 2014 - 6:01 pm

Its real CD. My grandmother called me a couple years ago saying my brother was in jail in Argentina. Of course I knew it was incorrect, because I had just hung up the phone after speaking with him. They thought it was legit, I told them to forget about the call, and never do anything that involves credit cards or wiring money from someone who calls.

• CD BrooksApril 19, 2014 - 6:15 am

Danny, okay good enough. I guess my anger is aimed at folks that pay up this stuff. I get preying on emotion because it s proven to be effective. But I hate the thought of anyone getting stung.

• Jerry BowenApril 18, 2014 - 3:42 am

The scam is real. When I received the same call I intentionally replied with Hi and a name that was not my grandson's. The caller continued and and he assumed that was a name. I hung up and notified the FBI Fraud department. You will find a lot of good info about the different scams out there on the FBI web page. JWB

• Warren C. SheldonApril 18, 2014 - 7:06 am

CDB: The letter to the editor is NOT a scam. I had the same experience; was supposed to send the money to the Dominican Republic. The supposed police officer called back after about two hours to see if the money had been wired. I told him the American Embassy in Santo Domingo had never heard of my grandson or him and that I had just talked with my grandson who was, at the moment, in North Carolina.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 7:32 am

Mr. Sheldon with all due respect, really? This is by far one of the most st*pid examples of a scam I've ever heard! I just don't buy it and frankly, don't understand how anyone would.

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 7:50 am

CD>>Because, who was it that said, "There's a sucker born every 30 sec." Now to anyone that is stupid enough to fall for this, go right to your PC and open up all the junk email telling you that you've one the lottery, and be sure to help out that Prince that needs assistance over in Nigeria. They are all waiting for your response>>LOL.

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 7:52 am

TYPO: Meant WON the Lottery :-)

• Danny BuntinApril 18, 2014 - 6:08 pm

@CD: It is all about fear. My G Parents absorb so much Fox News, they believe the sky will fall at any moment. I usually hold my tongue when visiting, and count the the tile squares in the kitchen.

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 10:55 am

anyone who falls for a scam like this is more than likely an Obama voter

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 11:30 am

Patrick, the only person silly enough to makes such a ridiculous comment and politicize this garbage is without a doubt a Republican!

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 2:04 pm

independent --- always voted for the best man

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 2:41 pm

Words can come back to haunt us. The Quote of the Decade: "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better." ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006 he was not the best man CD

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 3:08 pm

Patrick, or a wayward independent! Obama was the best man and remains so. The alternative was frighteningly horrific.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Patrick, you do know that speech took place in 2006 right? In 2011 Mr. Obama said: "I think that it's important to understand the vantage point of a senator versus the vantage point of a president. When you're a senator, traditionally what's happened is, this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit — for the United States by a trillion dollars. As president, you start realizing, you know what, we, we can't play around with this stuff. This is the full faith and credit of the United States. And so that was just an example of a new senator making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I'm the first one to acknowledge it." I like to say context is king. I also like presenting the rest of the story.

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 4:47 pm

but---$17,000,000,000,000,000

• patrickApril 18, 2014 - 4:50 pm

didn't like either one of them, but I had to vote

• General Fadi BasemApril 18, 2014 - 6:27 pm

I had a great time years ago playing at "419 scambaiting". The story sounds credible to me. But then, when I was a Major in the Iraq Army I died along with my family in a roadside bomb blast. The terrible tragedy was reflected in numerous 419 scam emails. Fortunatly me and my family survived after our deaths and my rank and pension were increased to General rank. Not very much, given Iraq's turmoil. Please send your donations and your grandkids' inheritance as a bank wire transfer to the following address: IAMANIDIOTANDIWILLSENDYOUALLMYMONEY. Thank you very much!

• General Fadi BasemApril 18, 2014 - 6:39 pm

I left a comment a couple of minutes ago, I must have included a word or three that befouled the comment censor.

• Mr. SmithApril 18, 2014 - 7:29 pm

Gen. Basem: An occasional post I write will "disappear" into the ozone, even though I don't recall using "forbidden words." Sometimes I suspect it was CONTENT that caused the censor to pull the plug. Can this be? Or is it just a transmission failure? Who rules on CONTENT, IF that is happening? What are the boundaries for "offensiveness? Seems like a slippery slope, to me. I, for one, would welcome a policy that provides for clarification from the censor every now and then as to what triggered the action.

• The SugarJarApril 18, 2014 - 7:48 pm

It is a shame when people take advantage of others. I was trying to imagine one oft grandsons calling and saying this is your oldest grandson. Would sound fishy to me. But if either too trusting or caught by emotion, some people are easier to fool than others. Shane on those who try to take advantage of those who might be more susceptible. :(

• S KApril 18, 2014 - 9:50 pm

OK, People, here is a good way to avoid being suckered. NEVER EVER answer your phone from any number that you do not recognize, Caller ID, being the best tool for this. Then let any unrecognized numbers go to either your answering machine or VM (Voice mail) if you use that. If you don't have Caller ID (That is a paid landline feature, included on all Cell phones, I believe), let all your calls go to an answering machine, monitoring them.

Fall Harvest Festival brings children back to school

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Optimist Club brings youth together for Halloween golf

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Cut-a-thon to help fight cancer, abuse

School board candidates forum set next week

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

Staying active may prolong your life

By Scott Anderson | From Page: B8

Suisun City police log: Oct. 23, 2014

Suspect arrested in death of 2 California deputies

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

KC-10 from Travis lands in Houston, smoke in cockpit

Reagan astrologer, Joan Quigley, dies at 87

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Jury says castrated sex offender should be freed

Remains belong to missing Virginia student

Dallas nurse receives thanks, hug from Obama

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 14 Comments

School gunman was Homecoming prince, students say

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Lava creeps toward road on Hawaii’s Big Island

NY, NJ order Ebola quarantine for doctors, others

Gunman in Canada attack complained about mosque

Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai

Militant group said to be using chlorine bombs

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Putin accuses US of undermining global stability

SEIU shouldn’t own Board of Supervisors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Vote, and make a difference

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 3 Comments

Yes on Measure A

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Spering best choice for county supervisor

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8, 8 Comments

Return Garamendi to Congress

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8, 27 Comments

Editorial Cartoons: Oct. 25, 2014

Today in History: Oct. 25, 2014

Community Calendar: Oct. 25, 2014

Horoscopes: Oct. 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

My mother-in-law wants me to convert to Catholicism, but I don’t want to

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Hello Kitty turning 40, and the birthday bash will be ‘supercute’

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: B8

TLC cancels its ‘Honey Boo Boo’ series

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9, 1 Comment

P.D. James’ riff on Jane Austen comes to TV

Hamilton helps Vanden sink Vallejo, 35-0

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B1

Vintage rolls past Armijo, 55-8

By Mike Corpos | From Page: B1

Mustangs fall flat in rout by Wildcats

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1, 4 Comments

Attorney: NFL, Ravens not helping union in Rice probe

SCC women’s soccer team falls to Mendocino 3-1

Unfazed, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh doing it his way

Lloyd leads US women past Mexico 3-0

Raiders’ Woodley, Young expected to be placed on IR

This date in sports history for Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014

US official: Auto safety agency under review

Ford profit falls in third quarter on truck costs

Procter & Gamble taking out its batteries

UPS expects double-digit surge in Dec shipments

US new-home sales close to flat in September

Mark Dean Lindsay