It appears to this 89-year-old veteran that the president is not being treated fairly, so I would like to offer some questions about the Republican ideas. Do you think that:
- Privatizing Social Security is a good idea?
- Abolishing Medicare and submitting a voucher in its place is a good idea?
- Passing voter ID laws that make voting more difficult for the poor, the aged and minorities is the American way?
- Billionaires should be able to secretly funnel money through quasi-charitable organizations, and by doing so, bury any opposition to their wants under a tsunami of money?
- Lowering the tax rates for the wealthy will improve the employment picture? Why didn’t it work after the Bush tax cuts?
- Unions are really bad? Is it a good thing that before unions, 10- to 12-year-old kids could get a job in the factory? Workers put in 12-hour days, and overtime, vacations and compensation for on-the-job injuries was only a distant dream.
- Is it fair or even sane to block the president’s suggestions to improve the country’s infrastructure and create jobs and then accuse him of doing nothing, while offering nothing in its place?
- Compromise is really bad, and it should be avoided at all costs? Remember, compromise was the means by which our Founding Fathers created our Constitution.
Wouldn’t it make a great deal of sense if there was less combat to the death and a good dose of compromise? I fear that there are many working against their own and our country’s best interests.