Sunday, March 1, 2015

Too many ads in the newspaper

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | July 14, 2014 |

Reading the July 5 newspaper, I am really getting tired of all the full pages of ads.

Out of the 12 pages for the A Section, five of them were dedicated to ads or full-page ads. Really? And you expect us to pay for that? Let your advertisers pick up the cost of our subscriptions. We can go to whichever “.com” on the Internet to check out their weekly ads and sales. I for one have nearly had enough.

If that many pages are being taken over for ads, just toss the paper in everyone’s front yard, as the shopping news did for everyone, when I was a kid – in Oakland – for free. Now if my wife can live without this morning poor excuse for a paper, we may be saying Aufwiedersehen soon.

Steve Karsten

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• 2realJuly 14, 2014 - 5:51 am

Lol good point steve. Plus their raising the price like nobodys business.

• Mr. PracticalJuly 14, 2014 - 7:17 am

So you're suggesting they turn down advertising revenue? You can't criticize not having a Tuesday print edition and the volume of advertisers. The Daily Republic cannot be asked to operate at a loss.

• Cliff BensonJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

Since I retired 16 years ago I enjoy more TV. But...the problem with TV is that commercials constantly interfere with my favorite program or movie choice. Newspaper ads can be read at my own convenience and do not interfere with whatever news/feature item I may be enjoying, I can read newspaper ads in my own time frame....and I do.....usually after I complete my daily crossword puzzle which I look forward to every morning ...with my coffee. Which reminds me,....for over 60 years we 've depended on newspaper ads to save shopping dollars....and stock up on money saving values. An example....the CVS circular advertised this past Sunday a great price on Yuban Coffee....our favorite brand for many years....and I quickly purchased three containers.( The previous coffee sale;;..months ago......sold out before we got there). At any rate, our morning newspaper, ads and all, has been an invited guest for morning Yuban...because...how else can we read about local news , and do our crossword, and check out the local ads for merchandise.?

• SKJuly 14, 2014 - 3:17 pm

I have to agree, but there is a difference between the Sunday circulars, which I look forward to, the BEST PART of the Sunday paper, and nearly half of the "A" section being all ads. Anyway an update. I have been monitoring the situation, and have only seen 1 maybe 2 pages of ads Full or otherwise. That one day 5 out of 12 pages was an abnormality mainly due to the July 4th weekend. So I'm still hooked and did renew. So CD, my friend, you'll still see me in here :-)

• In your honor SK.... I Youtubed "Fussbudget"..... Life goes on...July 14, 2014 - 3:35 pm

• CD BrooksJuly 14, 2014 - 5:25 pm

SK, looking forward to more! :)

• S KJuly 14, 2014 - 6:16 pm

Just like a donut, my posts will be keep on a coming>>LOL. The REAL SK :-)

• ?July 15, 2014 - 7:00 am

Where do you buy your doughnuts?

• S KJuly 15, 2014 - 7:17 am

I stop at the donut shop in Suisun, right near Rite Aide in the Sunset Shopping Center, but lately I have stayed away, because even cutting back to just one or something with way less sugar, I am not succeeding in losing some weight. My problem is that my Wife is too good a cook, could give, Gordon Ramsay, a run for his money>>LOL>>and I can't just have one helping :-)

• rcwJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

I have to agree (somewhat) with this. The price of the Daily Republic has skyrocketed for home delivery. Many years ago I was offered a position at the DR. I was told the starting salary was at a rate that more than likely would never change. So I declined the offer. Yet I still opted for home delivery to my new home I had just purchased. That was over 14 years ago. Last year, they discontinued Tuesday news. Umm...because news stops on Monday? The world ceases till Wednesday? Some eldderly folk don't get internet. Some rely on a good ol' fashoined newspaper to be informed or entertained. But hey save money instead. Then came the rate hike. Not a small incrrease either! Just about doubled! Again, no consideration for the readers, just done. I have also been on the other side of the fence several times as an office manager in charge of advertising options for companies I've worked for and experienced the price to place such ads in the DR. I have seen their costs. Nothing to sneeze at! So..let's see...exorbitant ads, exorbitant prices, less news, low wages...hmmm...where is this revenue going? Seems to me the readers and "loyal" subscribers get the tiniest sliver of that pie!

• .

School bands compete in Pageantry on Parade

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Peace and patience: Quilters gear up for show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Conservancy plans next Quail Ridge Reserve walk

Police seek suspect in armed robbery

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3, 3 Comments

4-H Presentation Day brings fun, education to Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

The agony of the codling moth, ecstasy of worm-free apples

By Christine Macgenn | From Page: C4

What you eat can affect your medications

By Marilyn Ranson | From Page: C4

CAASC 18th Annual Chinese New Year and Scholarship Celebration

By Steve Reczkowski | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Rollover in Suisun City

By Aaron Rosenblatt | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

State schedules ramp closure at freeway project site

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Appointments on tap for Board of Supervisors meet

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Tri-City NAACP honors community members at gala event

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

NY, SF town house prices through the roof

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Fairfield police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Airmen with local ties finish basic training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Force draws many from South, middle class

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Christie to Calif. Republicans: No rush to pick 2016 nominee

US missionary abducted in Nigeria is courageous, friends say

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Weekend storm drops snow, rain, hail in California

Dress that ‘greatly resembles’ stolen Nyong’o gown found

Churches, synagogues, mosques bear tough New England winter

Hyundai recalls 263,000 cars due to power-steering problem

Blind dog rescued after being lost for 2 weeks in the cold

Details about proposed national monuments in California

National monument supporters in California get antsy

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US drone strike in Yemen kills 3 suspected al-Qaida fighters

Greece will not seek another bailout, prime minister says

Attacks kill 37 people in and north of Iraq’s capital

Nemtsov a possible ‘sacrificial victim,’ investigators say

Editorial Cartoon: March 1, 2015

Sound off for March 1, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

New school funding plan remains on bumpy path

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Even Gruber deserves a break sometimes

By Megan Mcardle | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

I might just vote for a Democrat next time around

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 9 Comments

Aging Fairfield housing agency faltering

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Today in History: March 1, 2015

Community Calendar: March 1, 2015

With numbers falling, Houston-area nuns’ future uncertain

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscopes: March 1, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Kidney Walk participation helped give me a positive outlook on life

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Take a look – Dr. Seuss has a new book

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Publisher launches line of Warhol e-books

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Q&A: Opera star Deborah Voigt writes of turbulent life

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Review: ‘The Girl on the Train’ has realistic plot

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

Vikings girls looking for first section title

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Local Report: Vaca’s Aquino wins Masters wrestling title

Phegley hopes his style will catch on in Oakland

A year after meeting Tiger, Indian golfer on the rise

Jeff Gordon takes a final spin at track that meant so much

Players’ union head: future spring games in Cuba possible

Harrington takes 36-hole lead, then more rain in Florida

Defending champ Federer beats Djokovic to retain Dubai title

Safarova beats Azarenka to win the Qatar Open

Environmental activists disrupt meeting by Olympic officials

Hamilton hones Mercedes with fastest time at F1 testing

Thunder’s Russell Westbrook has surgery on cheekbone

Anthony Mason, rugged forward of 1990s Knicks, dies at 48

Warriors center Festus Ezeli suspended for a game

Reichelt leads Austrian World Cup downhill sweep

Harvick wins Xfinity race at Atlanta for 3rd year in a row

Stolen No. 44 NASCAR race car found in suburban Atlanta

Fruits and vegetables get a star-studded marketing push

For many in US, cash saved at gas pump is staying in pockets

Nevada casinos keep $953.7 million in winnings in January

Historic snows causing headaches for real estate industry

Boy, 13, builds Braille printer with Legos, starts company

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9Comments are off for this post

Recalls this week: hand trucks, ceiling fans

Review: Freedom! These smartwatches leave the phone behind

Greek prime minister rules out third bailout

AP Exclusive: Fuel-hauling trains could derail at 10 a year