Saturday, April 25, 2015

Too many ads in the newspaper

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | July 14, 2014 |

Reading the July 5 newspaper, I am really getting tired of all the full pages of ads.

Out of the 12 pages for the A Section, five of them were dedicated to ads or full-page ads. Really? And you expect us to pay for that? Let your advertisers pick up the cost of our subscriptions. We can go to whichever “.com” on the Internet to check out their weekly ads and sales. I for one have nearly had enough.

If that many pages are being taken over for ads, just toss the paper in everyone’s front yard, as the shopping news did for everyone, when I was a kid – in Oakland – for free. Now if my wife can live without this morning poor excuse for a paper, we may be saying Aufwiedersehen soon.

Steve Karsten

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• 2realJuly 14, 2014 - 5:51 am

Lol good point steve. Plus their raising the price like nobodys business.

• Mr. PracticalJuly 14, 2014 - 7:17 am

So you're suggesting they turn down advertising revenue? You can't criticize not having a Tuesday print edition and the volume of advertisers. The Daily Republic cannot be asked to operate at a loss.

• Cliff BensonJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

Since I retired 16 years ago I enjoy more TV. But...the problem with TV is that commercials constantly interfere with my favorite program or movie choice. Newspaper ads can be read at my own convenience and do not interfere with whatever news/feature item I may be enjoying, I can read newspaper ads in my own time frame....and I do.....usually after I complete my daily crossword puzzle which I look forward to every morning ...with my coffee. Which reminds me,....for over 60 years we 've depended on newspaper ads to save shopping dollars....and stock up on money saving values. An example....the CVS circular advertised this past Sunday a great price on Yuban Coffee....our favorite brand for many years....and I quickly purchased three containers.( The previous coffee sale;;..months ago......sold out before we got there). At any rate, our morning newspaper, ads and all, has been an invited guest for morning Yuban...because...how else can we read about local news , and do our crossword, and check out the local ads for merchandise.?

• SKJuly 14, 2014 - 3:17 pm

I have to agree, but there is a difference between the Sunday circulars, which I look forward to, the BEST PART of the Sunday paper, and nearly half of the "A" section being all ads. Anyway an update. I have been monitoring the situation, and have only seen 1 maybe 2 pages of ads Full or otherwise. That one day 5 out of 12 pages was an abnormality mainly due to the July 4th weekend. So I'm still hooked and did renew. So CD, my friend, you'll still see me in here :-)

• In your honor SK.... I Youtubed "Fussbudget"..... Life goes on...July 14, 2014 - 3:35 pm

• CD BrooksJuly 14, 2014 - 5:25 pm

SK, looking forward to more! :)

• S KJuly 14, 2014 - 6:16 pm

Just like a donut, my posts will be keep on a coming>>LOL. The REAL SK :-)

• ?July 15, 2014 - 7:00 am

Where do you buy your doughnuts?

• S KJuly 15, 2014 - 7:17 am

I stop at the donut shop in Suisun, right near Rite Aide in the Sunset Shopping Center, but lately I have stayed away, because even cutting back to just one or something with way less sugar, I am not succeeding in losing some weight. My problem is that my Wife is too good a cook, could give, Gordon Ramsay, a run for his money>>LOL>>and I can't just have one helping :-)

• rcwJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

I have to agree (somewhat) with this. The price of the Daily Republic has skyrocketed for home delivery. Many years ago I was offered a position at the DR. I was told the starting salary was at a rate that more than likely would never change. So I declined the offer. Yet I still opted for home delivery to my new home I had just purchased. That was over 14 years ago. Last year, they discontinued Tuesday news. Umm...because news stops on Monday? The world ceases till Wednesday? Some eldderly folk don't get internet. Some rely on a good ol' fashoined newspaper to be informed or entertained. But hey save money instead. Then came the rate hike. Not a small incrrease either! Just about doubled! Again, no consideration for the readers, just done. I have also been on the other side of the fence several times as an office manager in charge of advertising options for companies I've worked for and experienced the price to place such ads in the DR. I have seen their costs. Nothing to sneeze at! So..let's see...exorbitant ads, exorbitant prices, less news, low wages...hmmm...where is this revenue going? Seems to me the readers and "loyal" subscribers get the tiniest sliver of that pie!

Transportation leaders point to need for funding changes

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Together to remember children lost to violence

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

‘Cinderella’ carries on despite theater flood

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

3 letters to Vacaville may cost $100,000 to answer

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Church offers free Southern Gospel concert

Summer Spare the Air season set to start

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Suisun City police log: April 23, 2015

Fairfield police log: April 23, 2015

Commercial weight loss programs come under scrutiny

By Scott Anderson | From Page: B10

Food often a conduit to something more

By Murray Bass | From Page: B10

San Francisco Catholics deeply divided over archbishop

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Colleges starting to offer brewing courses

Hate crime charges for homeless beating suspect

Supreme Court ruling keeps sex offender registration in place

SFPD to pay for settlement of wrongful termination suit

16 students injured when school stage collapses

Thousands march to mark anniversary of Armenian massacres

Man ordered to stand trial for kidnap, rape charges

Nuclear launch officers charged in drug case

Rubio looking to gain support in Iowa

Hep C, HIV cases spike throughout Indiana

Obama uses hospital funds to help push for Medicaid expansion

Hawaii raises smoking age to 21

Police: Gray should have received medical treatment

Yemen rebels ordered to pull back

US completing review of hostage policy following drone strikes

Italy police arrest nine terror suspects in sweep

Chaos in the primaries

By Thomas Sowell | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Joy of baseball back in my life

By Deon Price | From Page: A8

Today in History: April 25, 2015

Community Calendar: April 25, 2015

Horoscopes: April 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

Daughters’ ex is determined to turn their children against her

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

Seriously silly, Monty Python reunites for a weekend tribute

SCC baseball team wins to claim share of BVC title

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: B1, 2 Comments

Ynoa, Butler send Rockies to 6-4 win over Giants

Vikings fall to Jaguars 4-3 in 8 innings

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

After working OT in NBA playoffs, Curry, Rose can earn rest

Swafford, Weekley atop Zurich Classic leaderboard

Logano wins pole at Richmond, his third of the season

Usain Bolt: Gay’s reduced doping ban sends wrong message

Scott Dixon is chasing IndyCar wins leaders, not spotlight

Ducking the spotlight, some stars decide to skip NFL draft

Garber: MLS plan in 6 months to expand beyond 24 teams

Dortmund, American Pharoah vie for favorite in 141st Derby

Harden, Howard lead Rockets to 130-128 win, 3-0 lead on Mavs

Olympic sailing events may be moved from Rio’s polluted bay

Canadian Henderson shoots tournament record for LPGA lead

Bowyer and Stewart looking for good runs at Richmond

Oregon wins distance medley relay at Penn Relays

Goodell: LA projects viable for bringing back team

Former Buckeyes teammates Cook, Sindelar top Legends of Golf

Signups for Saturday, April 25, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B3

Ford recalls 390,000 cars to fix door latches

Winners and losers of the demise of the big Comcast deal

What could McDonald’s do to fix its business?

Durable goods orders up, but business investment falls again

Harley recalls nearly 46,000 motorcycles

Comcast abandons Time Warner Cable bid after gov’t pushback

Cheaper fuel has airlines soaring to record profits

Wynn Resorts shareholders: Elaine Wynn won’t return to board

Kirk Noonan

Sandra King

Elizabeth Cepeda

By Nancy Green | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Zits

Crossword

Home Seller 4/25/2015

Ask a Designer: decorating with spring pastels

By The Associated Press | From Page: HSR1 | Gallery