Monday, September 1, 2014

Too many ads in the newspaper

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | July 14, 2014 |

Reading the July 5 newspaper, I am really getting tired of all the full pages of ads.

Out of the 12 pages for the A Section, five of them were dedicated to ads or full-page ads. Really? And you expect us to pay for that? Let your advertisers pick up the cost of our subscriptions. We can go to whichever “.com” on the Internet to check out their weekly ads and sales. I for one have nearly had enough.

If that many pages are being taken over for ads, just toss the paper in everyone’s front yard, as the shopping news did for everyone, when I was a kid – in Oakland – for free. Now if my wife can live without this morning poor excuse for a paper, we may be saying Aufwiedersehen soon.

Steve Karsten

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• 2realJuly 14, 2014 - 5:51 am

Lol good point steve. Plus their raising the price like nobodys business.

• Mr. PracticalJuly 14, 2014 - 7:17 am

So you're suggesting they turn down advertising revenue? You can't criticize not having a Tuesday print edition and the volume of advertisers. The Daily Republic cannot be asked to operate at a loss.

• Cliff BensonJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

Since I retired 16 years ago I enjoy more TV. But...the problem with TV is that commercials constantly interfere with my favorite program or movie choice. Newspaper ads can be read at my own convenience and do not interfere with whatever news/feature item I may be enjoying, I can read newspaper ads in my own time frame....and I do.....usually after I complete my daily crossword puzzle which I look forward to every morning ...with my coffee. Which reminds me,....for over 60 years we 've depended on newspaper ads to save shopping dollars....and stock up on money saving values. An example....the CVS circular advertised this past Sunday a great price on Yuban Coffee....our favorite brand for many years....and I quickly purchased three containers.( The previous coffee sale;;..months ago......sold out before we got there). At any rate, our morning newspaper, ads and all, has been an invited guest for morning Yuban...because...how else can we read about local news , and do our crossword, and check out the local ads for merchandise.?

• SKJuly 14, 2014 - 3:17 pm

I have to agree, but there is a difference between the Sunday circulars, which I look forward to, the BEST PART of the Sunday paper, and nearly half of the "A" section being all ads. Anyway an update. I have been monitoring the situation, and have only seen 1 maybe 2 pages of ads Full or otherwise. That one day 5 out of 12 pages was an abnormality mainly due to the July 4th weekend. So I'm still hooked and did renew. So CD, my friend, you'll still see me in here :-)

• In your honor SK.... I Youtubed "Fussbudget"..... Life goes on...July 14, 2014 - 3:35 pm

• CD BrooksJuly 14, 2014 - 5:25 pm

SK, looking forward to more! :)

• S KJuly 14, 2014 - 6:16 pm

Just like a donut, my posts will be keep on a coming>>LOL. The REAL SK :-)

• ?July 15, 2014 - 7:00 am

Where do you buy your doughnuts?

• S KJuly 15, 2014 - 7:17 am

I stop at the donut shop in Suisun, right near Rite Aide in the Sunset Shopping Center, but lately I have stayed away, because even cutting back to just one or something with way less sugar, I am not succeeding in losing some weight. My problem is that my Wife is too good a cook, could give, Gordon Ramsay, a run for his money>>LOL>>and I can't just have one helping :-)

• rcwJuly 14, 2014 - 8:58 am

I have to agree (somewhat) with this. The price of the Daily Republic has skyrocketed for home delivery. Many years ago I was offered a position at the DR. I was told the starting salary was at a rate that more than likely would never change. So I declined the offer. Yet I still opted for home delivery to my new home I had just purchased. That was over 14 years ago. Last year, they discontinued Tuesday news. Umm...because news stops on Monday? The world ceases till Wednesday? Some eldderly folk don't get internet. Some rely on a good ol' fashoined newspaper to be informed or entertained. But hey save money instead. Then came the rate hike. Not a small incrrease either! Just about doubled! Again, no consideration for the readers, just done. I have also been on the other side of the fence several times as an office manager in charge of advertising options for companies I've worked for and experienced the price to place such ads in the DR. I have seen their costs. Nothing to sneeze at! So..let's see...exorbitant ads, exorbitant prices, less news, low wages...hmmm...where is this revenue going? Seems to me the readers and "loyal" subscribers get the tiniest sliver of that pie!

Highway 12 project nears completion

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Goodwill opens Outlet Store in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Fairfield economic team announces addition

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Premier post details of new lease

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Il Fiorello to host jazz event

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Good job, Susan Winlow

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Source: 49ers OL Boone agrees to new 2-yr deal

49er Ray McDonald accused of domestic violence

Kahne holds off Kenseth to win Atlanta shootout

Wozniacki outlasts Sharapova, in US Open quarters

Falcons looking to be defensive

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

A’s frustrated after 8-1 loss caps sweep by Angels

Ernst wins LPGA’s Portland Classic in playoff

Giants power past Brewers 15-5 for 3-game sweep

Down at half, US beats Turkey in basketball worlds

Source: Chiefs’ Smith agrees to 4-yr extension

Tony Stewart’s return to race track ends early

Sam clears waivers, meets with Fisher

FC Kansas City wins NWSL title over Seattle, 2-1

Raiders claim DE Mayowa off waivers

Jensen waived after Jaguars awarded TE Shuler

Otto wins Italian Open; Gallacher comes up short

Weather for Monday, Sept. 1, 2014

Henley takes a 1-shot lead at Deutsche Bank

Dunn dealt to A’s, could be his last shot playoffs

Fred Couples wins Champions Tour event