Sunday, September 21, 2014

There’s a pet killer in Castle Rock

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | March 24, 2014 |

Between the hours of 6:30 and 7:15 a.m. March 16, someone in the community of Castle Rock in Fairfield decided to shoot my black cat (Jett) with either a pellet or BB gun.

The shot screamed through his body, thus shattering his hind femur bone. Unfortunately, there was nothing the vet could do to fix the horrific break and I was forced to put him down. I’m crushed beyond words over the loss of my beloved cat. Jett was a large black cat with big green eyes and was very friendly.

This type of animal abuse should not be acceptable in any neighborhood. I’m mortified to know that I live in a community where someone finds no regard or remorse in shooting animals.

A police report and nuisance neighbor report have been filed. I’ve also notified the homeowners association. Anyone with information can contact the Fairfield police.

Castle Rock is a gated community to keep bad people out, but we have a bad person in our midst!

Kathy Pery

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• BobMarch 24, 2014 - 6:02 am

Was your cat outside? Was he going after hummingbirds I attract with feeders? Was he fishing in my pond for the Koi I've raise since they were small and now I have to cover my pond with a steel cover so nothing can get at them, yes it was wet cat tracks leading away. Or was it cat killing morning doves eating at the feeders in my back yard. I had nothing to do with your cat and I'm sorry to hear that someone took it upon themselfs to do that instead of putting out a cage, but loose running cats are a BIG problem and if yours is running free then you're not helping

• GordonMarch 24, 2014 - 6:18 am

While i'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your cat YOU must accept some of the responsibilty. As a cat owner for many years my cats were always inside pets. Allowing your cat to run free is a setting for problems. As the owner you are the cats safety net. Cats will do what they do when given the chance. As a citizen you take on the responsibilty of insuring you pet is safe and the people living around you don't have to put up with the mess and damage loose pets cause. While i hope that who ever shot your cat is caught or at least doesn't do this again, PLEASE if you have now or in the future get another pet, keep it inside. Care for it and love it, BUT keep it inside. Thats the best protection the pet can ask for.

• LisaMarch 24, 2014 - 1:10 pm

I am shocked to see the comments blaming the cat owner!! Yes, cats enjoy the outdoors as much as we do. Why don't you keep an eye on your kids that make innocent animals their shooting target!!! And a reply to Bob, i too have a Koi Pond, but not once in fear of a cat, only Eggrets that dive bomb the fish, so i also had to add wire. Maybe the cat tracks are cats drinking from it, as i have never seen a cat go into water. My heart breaks for the cat owner for losing a part of the family in such a senseless act. Cats chase birds and kill rodents, and when they poop, at least they bury it!! My advice, keep track of your punk brat kids!!

• GordonMarch 24, 2014 - 3:08 pm

Lisa, as you replied under my posting i'll answer. 1. I don't own guns. Never have, never will. 2. My kids are all over the age of 21 now. They were taught to respect life, to care for animals as they do not understand what humans think. 3. What we don't know is who shot the cat so stop pointing at kids. An adult (someone over 18) can just as easily be the shooter. and yes it could be a female. 4. If i could i'd bring the victim back to life. I'm sorry Kathy as lost a pet / family member this way. There is no excuse for what happened that i can thing of to justify the out come. Let's just hope and pray Kathy takes better care of future pets.

• CD BrooksMarch 24, 2014 - 6:25 am

I don't believe it is okay to fire weapons in a neighborhood. If there is a vicious dog or similar situation that's different but shooting cats isn't something I agree with. But I also believe you should contain your pets and not make them your neighbors’ problem. I like cats but we have nearly 20 of them feral that neighbors feed and those cats are totally comfortable using our yard for everything wild cats do. Sometimes the howling and fights are just too much. Now I understand that cats are becoming a rabies problem, definitely don’t need that! We’d like them to go away and I suppose I will have t get the proper cage to do so, but I won’t kill them.

• The MisterMarch 24, 2014 - 7:31 am

Wow, ya'll are blaming the victim? And at the same time some little dude is building the mental capacity and skills to shoot up a school. Yes, cats can be a nuisance to the neighbors; however, cats don't bark for hours on end, day and night, disturbing the peace and the neighbors. While cats might poo in your flowers, I've never seen a kid fall down in a big pile of cat poo in the park... and I've never been on a walk in the neighborhood and stepped in cat poo. Dogs and their owners can be much more a nuisance and sanitary issue than cats. But the big issue is 1) You all blame the victim (pretty typical for you neo-cons and welfare queens) and 2) the shooter will one day be shooting people because of his training (either evolution taught in the schools where humans have no more worth than a rat or a bug and/or video game training that desensitizes the dude from reality and the consequences of reality).

• CD BrooksMarch 24, 2014 - 7:43 am

The Mister what are you talking about? What another jumbled mess of slop.

• GordonMarch 24, 2014 - 9:31 am

Let set things straight. THe victim here is the CAT. The owner that wrote the above post has a responsibilty to care and protect her pet. She failed in this case and from the sound of the letter isn't accepting resbonsibilty for her failed actions. Thats all anyone is saying. If the cat was / had been kept inside the cat would still be alive. I don't believe shooting any animal can be justified expect as CD stated a vicious animal is a different story. As a side note, i'm not a neo-cons or welfare queen. But i'm pretty sure you wouldn't know the difference anyway. Just saying

• The MisterMarch 24, 2014 - 10:36 am

Of course I know the difference between a neo-con and a welfare queen, Gordon... there's hope for one.

• S KMarch 24, 2014 - 12:20 pm

As I love pets, not so much CATS, but would never want to see one purposely harmed, I see the BAD person here as an irresponsible pet (CATS) owner, letting her cat out, roaming, pooping and making a mess on her neighbors property. KEEP YOUR DANG CATS INSIDE!!!!!!!!

• Lisa CastagneMarch 24, 2014 - 12:58 pm

I don't understand your rude commits. Cats are inside and outside. Did the owner have any idea Jett would take off. That was a very short period of time that he was out. People need to be respectful of her lose. She tried to save him by taking him to the vet. That's what responsible pet owners do. She did not just let him die in her yard, home. The irresponsible one is the one who shot the cat. You don't deserve to have pets or even own a gun. How cruel to put Jett through the pain as well as the owner. People need to grow up! What if that would have been a child.? To be the shooter is a coward and you will be found and I hope you learn something from this. My prayers go out to the family of beautiful Jett!

• clancyMarch 24, 2014 - 1:39 pm

I have to agree with mister. I live I Suisun behind the creek close to the Krock center. People let their dogs bark for hours on end disturbing the peace and since we have no rear neighbors to complain with us animal control refused to talk to them more than once. I even wrote a letter to Mayor Pete Sanchez several weeks ago no reply. I don't understand why dog owners have no respect for the neighborhood and just let the dogs bark hours on end.

• KLRMarch 24, 2014 - 3:06 pm

If a person, Bob, does not have anything nice or productive to say, please show respect and refrain from posting. The owner of Jett is a friend of mine. She is a loving,committed, nurturing pet owner that provides an amazing life for her animals. Pets should be able to experience the outdoors, fresh air, soft grass... Jett was a rescue. Animal cruelty should not be ignored or tolerated. What if this had been one of your pets or a child? Show some compassion. Support your neighbors and protect your neighborhood with all creatures great and small.

• DebMarch 24, 2014 - 4:41 pm

I cannot believe how many negative comments there are about the pet owner. Bottom line, this was a horrible and disgusting act of animal cruelty with no regards to a living creature. It's hard not to lose faith in humanity.

• LeslieMarch 24, 2014 - 5:01 pm

I feel terrible for Jett' pain and his family. Please accept my sympathy!!! For those of you who felt like you needed to share reasons why a cat my be shot at, there is NO reason for that to be done, period. We are not talking about her cat going into anyone's pond, or pooping on peoples lawn, we are talking about a cat being shot while going outside for in the morning! I too believe that people who would shoot a cat, may decide to shoot other things also. I am so sorry for your loss and I I hope that they catch the person who did this. It would be terrible if they decided to shoot a child playing outside, or a neighbors dog, because it was barking or just shoot out some car windows for the fun of it. RIP Jett.

• Kelly SpitzerMarch 24, 2014 - 5:13 pm

So when I read this letter, there is nothing said about how Jett got out. Based on the comments, it appears that several people made assumptions that Jett was let out and with that, judgement was made against the owner…hope you all never serve on a jury. Regardless of how Jett got out, the more important issue is that someone recklessly and cruelly maimed a living, breathing, defenseless animal that ultimately led to his early death. Jett was only 2 years old. What I do know is Ms. Perry did in fact bear the heavy responsibility of what happened to her beloved Jett; which is really none of the publics business. I applaud Ms. Perry for warning her neighbors, which I may add I personally have witnessed several pets in her area lounging outside, enjoying the day. Ms. Perry could have kept this incident to herself and other pets may have been injured or killed. And..one other footnote, it is a fact that serial killers start by torturing and killing animals….now I'd certainly would like to know if animals were being harmed in my neighborhood by human hands.

• sarahMarch 24, 2014 - 5:19 pm

I cannot believe the comments! I personally know the owner of Jett she is my aunt and in no way is this her fault. the fact is that someone shot Jett for no reason other than to hurt him and that is just unacceptable. I hope this person is caught.

• TereOC@hotmail.comMarch 24, 2014 - 6:22 pm

I cannot even believe people would make comments that blame the owner. Unbelievable! Someone injured and killed an animal - is no one else concerned about their pets????An finding ho did this?

• Debby WheelerMarch 24, 2014 - 6:38 pm

Like so many others, I too am troubled by the comments blaming the owner for letting her cat outside. Since when did it become mandatory for cats to be indoors only? That excuse is the same as saying dogs and kids and elderly people should be kept indoors. Simply ridiculous. People, be they large or small, should not aim and shoot guns at animals in neighborhoods. Period. If there is an animal causing a problem there are several avenues of recourse before taking a gun into your hands. Talk to the owner, talk to the homeowners group, contact animal control, etc. Why be so cowardly as to shoot a gun at a helpless animal as the first course of action? Shame on you!

• Resident of Castle RockMarch 24, 2014 - 8:03 pm

I can't believe the harsh and mean comments people have to say about this article. How would you feel if you lost a animal because someone killed it and all you wanted to warn people of what is going on? Have some sympathy for someone who lost a family member. I am a resident of Castle Rock and have 2 cats. One cat is an indoor cat because we had her since she was a kitten and was able to train her to be an indoor and our other cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. She is only an outdoor cat because we took her in after her family left her behind and she has always been outdoor so it's really hard for us to keep her indoor. Dog/Cats are like human, they like to go outside and enjoy the sun and roam around. Luckily, our cat doesn't go too far, maybe next door or to the neighbors behind us. Based off of her description of Jett, her cat would come to our backyard to talk to our cats through the window. Jett was a sweet cat that just roams the fence. He never caused any problems. I am very sorry for your lost and for all of the harsh comments that people have left you.

County makes recommendations for crude-by-rail

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Hartley House offers look into Vacaville’s past

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

New toilet paper sizes will wipe me out!

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2, 6 Comments

Coastal Cleanup helps get rid of trash in area

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Travis teachers bring creativity to Shakespeare

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A3

Olympians to participate in swim Lap-a-Thon

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Circle of Friends director to speak in Fairfield

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Be alert to stroke warning signs

By Marilyn Ranson | From Page: C4

Recovery community works for lifelong sobriety

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Musical merry-go-round at Jazz Festival

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Deadline looms for lobster boil tickets

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Crashes blocks parts of eastbound I-80 in Fairfield

Seven Artisans opens tasting room

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B7 | Gallery

BABA makes big spash

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Old Kmart site sees signs of new life

By Brian Miller and Karl Dumas | From Page: B8, 22 Comments | Gallery

Airmen with local ties finish basic training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Fairfield police log: Sept. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Sept. 19, 2014

Potential push for Obama to expand military effort

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Teams assess damage as California wildfire burns

McInerney, Duka help Impact beat Earthquakes

Old pets, new chances: The case for senior adoption

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: C4

Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in lockdown

Custer youngest winner at 16 in NASCAR series

Retro-hip barber is growing an ‘empire’ by staying on the cutting edge

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: C6

Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days

Tour ship runs aground by NYC’s Statue of Liberty

Chrysler recalling nearly 189,000 SUVs

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Fire captain injured in ice bucket challenge dies

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

More than 1K people search for missing UVa student

Second man arrested trying to enter White House

Pope chooses a moderate for Chicago archbishop

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 4 Comments | Gallery

Astronauts getting 3-D printer at space station

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

NATO chief: Ukraine has cease-fire ‘in name only’

Kurdish fighters head to Syria to face militants

Turkish hostages freed, but questions linger

Sierra Leone staggers in Ebola isolation effort

By The Associated Press | From Page: A11 | Gallery

El-Sissi ready to back anti-IS fight

By The Associated Press | From Page: A11 | Gallery

Polly Bergen, versatile actress, singer dies at 84

Sunset Animal Hospital is the best

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Sound off for Sept. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

New car’s fuel mileage accuracy put to the test

By Glen Faison | From Page: A8

Stores miss bus on public transit

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Will they ever get the message?

By Rod Keck | From Page: A9, 5 Comments

Community Calendar: Sept. 21, 2014

Today in History: Sept. 21, 2014

St. Paul pastor’s pulpit? A food truck

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3 | Gallery

There is no message of hatred of violence in Christianity

By The Rev. Rick L. Stonestreet | From Page: C3, 7 Comments

Horoscopes: Sept. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

My child’s father and I worked things out – but now I’m not so sure

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Author says Christian novel plagiarized, sex added

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2 | Gallery

Springsteen picture book out in November

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Erdrich wins lifetime achievement literary prize

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Designer Donna Karan memoir expected next year

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Cardinals look to shake off distraction vs. 49ers

Cashner, Padres beat Giants 3-2

Prep boys soccer preview: Indians, Vikings off to fast start

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Patriots big favorites vs. Raiders despite mediocre start

Williams beats A’s for third time with third team

College football Top 25

No. 1 Florida St survives against No. 22 Clemson

Sprint car driver killed in Wisconsin

Vacaville Christian volleyball team falls in playoffs

Schumacher, Hagan win rain-delayed Carolina event

Travis Bowl results

By Daily Republic | From Page: B4

Mi Jung Hur, Paula Reto share lead in Alabama

Stars Recreation results

By Daily Republic | From Page: B4

Estimated 7,000 fans trade in Ray Rice jerseys

This date in sports history for Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014

Sports on TV for Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

Gaughan snatches Nationwide win at Kentucky

Harvick dismisses wins as key to Cup title

Extended warranties a big sell. Are they worth it?

Recalls this week: fire alarm bases, swings

US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition

Marijuana industry battling stoner stereotypes

George Junior Rhode