Monday, December 22, 2014

The yin-yang of gun control

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | February 27, 2013 |

I’m conflicted. Are guns a good thing or a bad thing? I had an internal “conversation” after reading the Feb. 19, 2013, Los Angeles Times article, “Shooting Spree Leaves Four Dead.” The conversation went something like this:

“Ho hum, another shooting spree. Oh well, that’s the price of freedom (i.e., a few must die so that the rest of us can live in peace). Shooting sprees have become so commonplace in America that we see them as ordinary events. Hey, but it’s always ‘the other guy’ who gets shot. It won’t happen to me.” Or, “It’s the mentally ill who cause the problem. If only we could round them all up and sequester them in a maximum security facility, gun violence would drop dramatically.”

“Let’s be honest, by FAR most of those who are slaughtered by firearms die at the hands of an angry person who had access to a gun. Period. Take away the gun, and what you are left with is an angry person.”

“Oh yeah? An angry person with a baseball bat can kill you just the same as with a gun.”

“Perhaps so, but at least you can outrun a baseball bat. Much tougher to outrun a bullet.”

“Look here, you liberal wing-nut, the Founding Fathers understood how important it was for the average citizen to ‘bear arms.’ That’s why they wrote the Second Amendment.”

“Well, perhaps you have a point there. After all, the British never completely got over the Revolutionary War (they could invade at any time) and just because there’s a Safeway down the street doesn’t mean I won’t want to shoot a raccoon for lunch now and then.”

“Let me tell you this, the government will take away my guns over my dead body.”

“Hmmm, I’m out of ideas. I guess the answer is to lock and load, and never, ever take your eyes off of the other guy.”

Stephen Davis

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• G-ManFebruary 20, 2013 - 4:26 pm

YOWZA!!..This Lap dance Stephen makes Kirchubel lool lucid..

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 7:58 am

When I was a kid, I had a switch blade knife. It was a large knife that actually had a “kick” to it when you pushed the button. One day I was messing around with it and my dad came in. He asked me why I had a knife like that and did I carry it around. I told him I thought it was cool and yes, I liked to carry it and show it off. (Truth be told, this thing was not designed to be carried in your pocket)! Anyway he asked that I put it away and not carry it with me and of course, I asked why. So this time without the obligatory threat and punishment that usually followed in those days when you questioned your dad, he told me a story. He said I could carry a small pocket knife but not that one or one like it. He explained that when we get angry, we react and do things that can’t be taken back. He told me that if I pulled this particular knife in anger I could simply push the button and make a stupid decision so fast that I could hurt or kill someone. One split second with a dangerous weapon and lives are ruined. He said if I had a pocket knife, it might take me just enough time to open it and think about the trouble I might be in before I reacted. Of course that was sage advice and I have never carried any weapon since that day. Trust me, a shovel and chain are as deadly as anything when used inappropriately. So forget the tool of choice and recognize the thought process behind the actions. I agree with a certain amount of gun control such as the president has suggested. But I also understand that for this society, that aint gonna be enough. Is right to carry the answer? I don’t know but many states are allowing it. There is tons of information available about the proper use of guns and laws pertaining to them. We also know about DUI but that number keeps going up as well. It is obvious that we the people are incapable of policing ourselves. Proper enforcement of the law with immediate and painful consequences that don’t go away is the only real answer here. It doesn’t work for lifelong criminals and that will be an ongoing battle. But for the average person that screws up, harsh penalties will get their attention. Let’s try that for a change.

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:09 am

HA! HA! G-Man, it was really supposed to be a story about learning. No didn't happen but I was sort of popular...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:16 am

CD U might as well submit it as another letter to the Editor. Maybe you should write a column. So what did you do for a living that enables you to be so comfortable now?

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:30 am

STR, funny you say that. I was thinking I might send it in. Hey I am always comfortable for many reasons. Number one, my wife of nearly 41 years. We grew up together and worked through some difficult circumstances. We made an ok living but never really made a lot of money. I guess because of that, we aren't suffering financially like a lot of folks that did and now can't get by. Now life is good and we are enjoying our grand kids. Doesn't get much better than that! :)

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:36 am

Well then I am happy for you CD. I married my husband because at the time he was such a jerk, that I thought he really deserved someone like me....both of us were not exactly aiming high at the time...got married in a fever...and it really has been a demolition derby ever since...but getting divorced does mess one up financially and over time you do get used to being with one person. At the current time he probably does have the worst end of the deal.

• G-ManFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:54 am

No doubt...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:58 am

So G-Man have you ever had any dealings w/the Mossad?

• .Police Interrogation .February 21, 2013 - 10:10 am

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 10:39 am

Just Kidding....My only known contact was a couple of years ago in Dixon at a 4th of July Freedon rally type thing....they were posing as kinda hippyish anarchists.

• Mr. PracticalFebruary 27, 2013 - 7:52 am

The other advantage to a small pocket knife is you would have to stab someone 20 or 30 times to do any real damage! Do a You Tube search of "gridlock'd stab me" for a hilarious scence from one of the oddest and best buddy movies of all time (Disclaimer: Language)

Christmas comes early to San Marco Street park

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Travis squadron delivers Christmas gifts to East Tabor

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

How this chunky Wade met Chunky Wade

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Multiple car accident blocks I-80 in Vacaville

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Solano Kwanzaa celebration set for Vallejo return

Lawyers off free legal advice in Fairfield

Kitchen fire dislocates family for Christmas

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Famous Creations’ toy drive and cupcake sale

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Last-minute shopping at Vacaville Premium Outlets

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Dec. 20, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 20, 2014

Weather for Dec. 22, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B10

Killer of 2 NYC officers had long criminal history

Killings of 2 New York officers trigger backlash

California puzzles over safety of driverless cars

Timeline of events before and after NY cop deaths

A look at the 2 NYC officers killed in ambush

What’s being said about killings of 2 NYC officers

Pakistan makes arrests in Taliban school carnage

Florida authorities say 1 police officer shot and killed

Tent city sprouts in shadow of downtown Detroit

US mulls putting NKorea on terrorism sponsor list

Satanic Temple puts up display at Michigan Capitol

Australian woman charged with murder of 8 children

Exit poll: Ex-regime official is Tunisia’s new president

Faust and the 2015 federal budget

By Mike Kirchubel | From Page: A8

Obama, surgeon general still losing to NRA

By Francis Wilkinson | From Page: A8

Happy day: Elton John, David Furnish marry in England

TVGrid Dec 23

Kings snap 5-game losing skid, beat Lakers 108-101

Burns gives Sharks late-night win over Blues in OT

The Week Ahead: Not much of a break for Christmas

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

Steelers, Packers win, move into playoffs

Raiders knock Bills out of playoffs with 26-24 win

Super-G crash makes Vonn wait in bid for record

NFL Roundup: Cowboys end 4-year drought, make playoffs

7 hurt when lightning strikes near Tampa Bay game

India’s Arjun Atwal wins Dubai Open

Documents: FSU QB Winston cleared in conduct hearing

US companies eager to embrace Cuba face hurdles

Survey: US gas prices fall 25 cents per gallon