Thursday, April 17, 2014

The yin-yang of gun control

Web_OurView_YourView

I’m conflicted. Are guns a good thing or a bad thing? I had an internal “conversation” after reading the Feb. 19, 2013, Los Angeles Times article, “Shooting Spree Leaves Four Dead.” The conversation went something like this:

“Ho hum, another shooting spree. Oh well, that’s the price of freedom (i.e., a few must die so that the rest of us can live in peace). Shooting sprees have become so commonplace in America that we see them as ordinary events. Hey, but it’s always ‘the other guy’ who gets shot. It won’t happen to me.” Or, “It’s the mentally ill who cause the problem. If only we could round them all up and sequester them in a maximum security facility, gun violence would drop dramatically.”

“Let’s be honest, by FAR most of those who are slaughtered by firearms die at the hands of an angry person who had access to a gun. Period. Take away the gun, and what you are left with is an angry person.”

“Oh yeah? An angry person with a baseball bat can kill you just the same as with a gun.”

“Perhaps so, but at least you can outrun a baseball bat. Much tougher to outrun a bullet.”

“Look here, you liberal wing-nut, the Founding Fathers understood how important it was for the average citizen to ‘bear arms.’ That’s why they wrote the Second Amendment.”

“Well, perhaps you have a point there. After all, the British never completely got over the Revolutionary War (they could invade at any time) and just because there’s a Safeway down the street doesn’t mean I won’t want to shoot a raccoon for lunch now and then.”

“Let me tell you this, the government will take away my guns over my dead body.”

“Hmmm, I’m out of ideas. I guess the answer is to lock and load, and never, ever take your eyes off of the other guy.”

Stephen Davis

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• G-ManFebruary 20, 2013 - 4:26 pm

YOWZA!!..This Lap dance Stephen makes Kirchubel lool lucid..

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 7:58 am

When I was a kid, I had a switch blade knife. It was a large knife that actually had a “kick” to it when you pushed the button. One day I was messing around with it and my dad came in. He asked me why I had a knife like that and did I carry it around. I told him I thought it was cool and yes, I liked to carry it and show it off. (Truth be told, this thing was not designed to be carried in your pocket)! Anyway he asked that I put it away and not carry it with me and of course, I asked why. So this time without the obligatory threat and punishment that usually followed in those days when you questioned your dad, he told me a story. He said I could carry a small pocket knife but not that one or one like it. He explained that when we get angry, we react and do things that can’t be taken back. He told me that if I pulled this particular knife in anger I could simply push the button and make a stupid decision so fast that I could hurt or kill someone. One split second with a dangerous weapon and lives are ruined. He said if I had a pocket knife, it might take me just enough time to open it and think about the trouble I might be in before I reacted. Of course that was sage advice and I have never carried any weapon since that day. Trust me, a shovel and chain are as deadly as anything when used inappropriately. So forget the tool of choice and recognize the thought process behind the actions. I agree with a certain amount of gun control such as the president has suggested. But I also understand that for this society, that aint gonna be enough. Is right to carry the answer? I don’t know but many states are allowing it. There is tons of information available about the proper use of guns and laws pertaining to them. We also know about DUI but that number keeps going up as well. It is obvious that we the people are incapable of policing ourselves. Proper enforcement of the law with immediate and painful consequences that don’t go away is the only real answer here. It doesn’t work for lifelong criminals and that will be an ongoing battle. But for the average person that screws up, harsh penalties will get their attention. Let’s try that for a change.

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:09 am

HA! HA! G-Man, it was really supposed to be a story about learning. No didn't happen but I was sort of popular...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:16 am

CD U might as well submit it as another letter to the Editor. Maybe you should write a column. So what did you do for a living that enables you to be so comfortable now?

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:30 am

STR, funny you say that. I was thinking I might send it in. Hey I am always comfortable for many reasons. Number one, my wife of nearly 41 years. We grew up together and worked through some difficult circumstances. We made an ok living but never really made a lot of money. I guess because of that, we aren't suffering financially like a lot of folks that did and now can't get by. Now life is good and we are enjoying our grand kids. Doesn't get much better than that! :)

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:36 am

Well then I am happy for you CD. I married my husband because at the time he was such a jerk, that I thought he really deserved someone like me....both of us were not exactly aiming high at the time...got married in a fever...and it really has been a demolition derby ever since...but getting divorced does mess one up financially and over time you do get used to being with one person. At the current time he probably does have the worst end of the deal.

• G-ManFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:54 am

No doubt...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:58 am

So G-Man have you ever had any dealings w/the Mossad?

• .Police Interrogation .February 21, 2013 - 10:10 am

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 10:39 am

Just Kidding....My only known contact was a couple of years ago in Dixon at a 4th of July Freedon rally type thing....they were posing as kinda hippyish anarchists.

• Mr. PracticalFebruary 27, 2013 - 7:52 am

The other advantage to a small pocket knife is you would have to stab someone 20 or 30 times to do any real damage! Do a You Tube search of "gridlock'd stab me" for a hilarious scence from one of the oddest and best buddy movies of all time (Disclaimer: Language)

Supervisor candidates square off at forum

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 7 Comments | Gallery

Carli takes oath, now Vacaville’s 14th police chief

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Huge jump in Solano median home price

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A1, 6 Comments | Gallery

Donate a car, help build a house

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Solano DA hosts workshop to fight human trafficking

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 7 Comments | Gallery

Fairfield town hall on crime delayed

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 10 Comments

Railway museum offers wine-tasting rides

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Drugs topic of cardiac class

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Weather for April 17, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Fairfield police log: April 15, 2014

Suisun City police log: April 15, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 14, 2014

Suisun Police log: April 14, 2014

Armed robber was never told to report to prison

Body of California man who jumped into river found

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Lost sea lion in California found mile from water

Seabird from Atlantic spotted on Alcatraz

Ex-Bell city leader gets 12 years in prison

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California delays decision on protecting gray wolf

Court rules for environmentalists in water fight

Governor calls special session on rainy day fund

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Denver police eye 911 response time after killing

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Man charged with marathon hoax is held on bail

Geneva talks on Ukraine face steep hurdles

Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles

Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing

NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

In support of Pam Bertani

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 9 Comments

Parenting demands responsibility

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Obamacare news you probably missed

By Martin Schram | From Page: A11, 4 Comments

Editorial Cartoons for April 17, 2014

By Kim Durbin | From Page: A11

A lesson in household budgeting

By Chris Erskine | From Page: A2

Today in History for April 17, 2014

Community Calendar: April 17, 2014

Horoscopes for April 17, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Daniel Radcliffe on why New York audiences rock

Alicia Silverstone out with book ‘Kind Mama’

Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on ‘The View’

Ailing Malcolm Young taking break from AC/DC

Disney Channel’s ‘Jessie’ breaks romantic ground

Vacaville’s Peralta to wrestle at San Francisco State

Angels beat A’s 5-4 on Iannetta’s HR in 12th

MEL, SCAC tangle in hoops all-star games

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

Sharks take goalie questions into rematch vs Kings

Crawford’s 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets

IndyCar driver Saavedra fined $10K

Sandoval’s single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1

Officer: Sharper’s DNA found on 1 Arizona victim

Jets sign former Titans RB Chris Johnson

Spieth ready for more after Masters success

Backup QB Matt Flynn returns to Packers

Atlanta lands MLS expansion team for 2017

Bucks owner Herb Kohl reaches deal to sell team

Sidney Rice agrees to terms with Seahawks

Goodwin helps Suns to 104-99 win over Kings in finale

Yellen: Fed stimulus still needed for job market

Some exempted from minimum wage, increased or not

Fed survey: Growth picks up across most of US

Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal charges

IBM posts lower 1Q earnings amid hardware slump