Thursday, October 2, 2014

The yin-yang of gun control

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | February 27, 2013 |

I’m conflicted. Are guns a good thing or a bad thing? I had an internal “conversation” after reading the Feb. 19, 2013, Los Angeles Times article, “Shooting Spree Leaves Four Dead.” The conversation went something like this:

“Ho hum, another shooting spree. Oh well, that’s the price of freedom (i.e., a few must die so that the rest of us can live in peace). Shooting sprees have become so commonplace in America that we see them as ordinary events. Hey, but it’s always ‘the other guy’ who gets shot. It won’t happen to me.” Or, “It’s the mentally ill who cause the problem. If only we could round them all up and sequester them in a maximum security facility, gun violence would drop dramatically.”

“Let’s be honest, by FAR most of those who are slaughtered by firearms die at the hands of an angry person who had access to a gun. Period. Take away the gun, and what you are left with is an angry person.”

“Oh yeah? An angry person with a baseball bat can kill you just the same as with a gun.”

“Perhaps so, but at least you can outrun a baseball bat. Much tougher to outrun a bullet.”

“Look here, you liberal wing-nut, the Founding Fathers understood how important it was for the average citizen to ‘bear arms.’ That’s why they wrote the Second Amendment.”

“Well, perhaps you have a point there. After all, the British never completely got over the Revolutionary War (they could invade at any time) and just because there’s a Safeway down the street doesn’t mean I won’t want to shoot a raccoon for lunch now and then.”

“Let me tell you this, the government will take away my guns over my dead body.”

“Hmmm, I’m out of ideas. I guess the answer is to lock and load, and never, ever take your eyes off of the other guy.”

Stephen Davis

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• G-ManFebruary 20, 2013 - 4:26 pm

YOWZA!!..This Lap dance Stephen makes Kirchubel lool lucid..

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 7:58 am

When I was a kid, I had a switch blade knife. It was a large knife that actually had a “kick” to it when you pushed the button. One day I was messing around with it and my dad came in. He asked me why I had a knife like that and did I carry it around. I told him I thought it was cool and yes, I liked to carry it and show it off. (Truth be told, this thing was not designed to be carried in your pocket)! Anyway he asked that I put it away and not carry it with me and of course, I asked why. So this time without the obligatory threat and punishment that usually followed in those days when you questioned your dad, he told me a story. He said I could carry a small pocket knife but not that one or one like it. He explained that when we get angry, we react and do things that can’t be taken back. He told me that if I pulled this particular knife in anger I could simply push the button and make a stupid decision so fast that I could hurt or kill someone. One split second with a dangerous weapon and lives are ruined. He said if I had a pocket knife, it might take me just enough time to open it and think about the trouble I might be in before I reacted. Of course that was sage advice and I have never carried any weapon since that day. Trust me, a shovel and chain are as deadly as anything when used inappropriately. So forget the tool of choice and recognize the thought process behind the actions. I agree with a certain amount of gun control such as the president has suggested. But I also understand that for this society, that aint gonna be enough. Is right to carry the answer? I don’t know but many states are allowing it. There is tons of information available about the proper use of guns and laws pertaining to them. We also know about DUI but that number keeps going up as well. It is obvious that we the people are incapable of policing ourselves. Proper enforcement of the law with immediate and painful consequences that don’t go away is the only real answer here. It doesn’t work for lifelong criminals and that will be an ongoing battle. But for the average person that screws up, harsh penalties will get their attention. Let’s try that for a change.

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:09 am

HA! HA! G-Man, it was really supposed to be a story about learning. No didn't happen but I was sort of popular...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:16 am

CD U might as well submit it as another letter to the Editor. Maybe you should write a column. So what did you do for a living that enables you to be so comfortable now?

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:30 am

STR, funny you say that. I was thinking I might send it in. Hey I am always comfortable for many reasons. Number one, my wife of nearly 41 years. We grew up together and worked through some difficult circumstances. We made an ok living but never really made a lot of money. I guess because of that, we aren't suffering financially like a lot of folks that did and now can't get by. Now life is good and we are enjoying our grand kids. Doesn't get much better than that! :)

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:36 am

Well then I am happy for you CD. I married my husband because at the time he was such a jerk, that I thought he really deserved someone like me....both of us were not exactly aiming high at the time...got married in a fever...and it really has been a demolition derby ever since...but getting divorced does mess one up financially and over time you do get used to being with one person. At the current time he probably does have the worst end of the deal.

• G-ManFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:54 am

No doubt...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:58 am

So G-Man have you ever had any dealings w/the Mossad?

• .Police Interrogation .February 21, 2013 - 10:10 am

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 10:39 am

Just Kidding....My only known contact was a couple of years ago in Dixon at a 4th of July Freedon rally type thing....they were posing as kinda hippyish anarchists.

• Mr. PracticalFebruary 27, 2013 - 7:52 am

The other advantage to a small pocket knife is you would have to stab someone 20 or 30 times to do any real damage! Do a You Tube search of "gridlock'd stab me" for a hilarious scence from one of the oddest and best buddy movies of all time (Disclaimer: Language)

Vacaville man earns Carnegie heroism medal

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Head-on crash sends 2 to trauma centers

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Veterans meet set in November

Solano Tea Party Patriots meet next week

Bevy of vintage warbirds expected at Nut Tree air show

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Dickey’s Barbecue Pit hosts grand opening

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B6

Fairfield police log: Sept. 30, 2014

Suisun City police log: Sept. 30, 2014

FBI turns animal cruelty into top-tier felony

California Catholics challenge abortion order

San Francisco expands free public Wi-Fi access

Judge: Stockton must treat pension like other debt

Caltrans: Bay Bridge tower rods exposed to water

Respiratory virus seen in 4 deaths; role unclear

2 children in Los Angeles County have enterovirus

Liberia short on ambulances for Ebola patients

Infant’s body found in California trash facility

Ebola patient told hospital he was from Liberia

John Wayne’s heirs lose ‘Duke’ legal brawl

Secret Service chief quits due to security lapses

Palestinians: Israeli occupation must end in 2016

Mexico’s probe of army slayings raises doubts

Hong Kong protesters threaten to occupy buildings

Man convicted of murder in killing over loud music

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

920 California chickens killed with golf club

3 Afghan soldiers who fled say they can’t go home

Wife of slain Los Angeles-area mayor released

Poll: Divided voters still focus on economy

App teaches kindergartners basic computer coding

2 white Ohio women sue over sperm from black donor

Read this column ASAP or immediately

By Reg Henry | From Page: A11

Real reasons neighborhoods are in trouble

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

It’s time to teach history

By Jay Ambrose | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Oct. 2, 2014

Joy Behar to debut a 1-woman show in New York

Tony Bennett sets mark as oldest act with No. 1 LP

Lena Dunham launches tour for book of adult essays

‘Interstellar’ to be released 2 days early on film

Steinem: Domestic violence discussion a positive

‘Orange is the New Black’ author talks Season 3

Bumgarner, Giants silence Pirates 8-0 to advance

A’s part ways a day after 12-inning loss to Royals

49ers prepare for familiar face in Chiefs Smith

Raiders leave for bye after meeting with new coach

College notebook: Former Falcon Williams tearing it up as Torero

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

This date in sports history for Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014

GM looks to new vehicles, China to boost profit

Stocks start October with a drop

5 reasons bonds may be less safe than you think

Why the bond market is more fragile than you think

Laura M. Gerdes-Lemmons