Friday, April 17, 2015

The yin-yang of gun control

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | February 27, 2013 |

I’m conflicted. Are guns a good thing or a bad thing? I had an internal “conversation” after reading the Feb. 19, 2013, Los Angeles Times article, “Shooting Spree Leaves Four Dead.” The conversation went something like this:

“Ho hum, another shooting spree. Oh well, that’s the price of freedom (i.e., a few must die so that the rest of us can live in peace). Shooting sprees have become so commonplace in America that we see them as ordinary events. Hey, but it’s always ‘the other guy’ who gets shot. It won’t happen to me.” Or, “It’s the mentally ill who cause the problem. If only we could round them all up and sequester them in a maximum security facility, gun violence would drop dramatically.”

“Let’s be honest, by FAR most of those who are slaughtered by firearms die at the hands of an angry person who had access to a gun. Period. Take away the gun, and what you are left with is an angry person.”

“Oh yeah? An angry person with a baseball bat can kill you just the same as with a gun.”

“Perhaps so, but at least you can outrun a baseball bat. Much tougher to outrun a bullet.”

“Look here, you liberal wing-nut, the Founding Fathers understood how important it was for the average citizen to ‘bear arms.’ That’s why they wrote the Second Amendment.”

“Well, perhaps you have a point there. After all, the British never completely got over the Revolutionary War (they could invade at any time) and just because there’s a Safeway down the street doesn’t mean I won’t want to shoot a raccoon for lunch now and then.”

“Let me tell you this, the government will take away my guns over my dead body.”

“Hmmm, I’m out of ideas. I guess the answer is to lock and load, and never, ever take your eyes off of the other guy.”

Stephen Davis

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• G-ManFebruary 20, 2013 - 4:26 pm

YOWZA!!..This Lap dance Stephen makes Kirchubel lool lucid..

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 7:58 am

When I was a kid, I had a switch blade knife. It was a large knife that actually had a “kick” to it when you pushed the button. One day I was messing around with it and my dad came in. He asked me why I had a knife like that and did I carry it around. I told him I thought it was cool and yes, I liked to carry it and show it off. (Truth be told, this thing was not designed to be carried in your pocket)! Anyway he asked that I put it away and not carry it with me and of course, I asked why. So this time without the obligatory threat and punishment that usually followed in those days when you questioned your dad, he told me a story. He said I could carry a small pocket knife but not that one or one like it. He explained that when we get angry, we react and do things that can’t be taken back. He told me that if I pulled this particular knife in anger I could simply push the button and make a stupid decision so fast that I could hurt or kill someone. One split second with a dangerous weapon and lives are ruined. He said if I had a pocket knife, it might take me just enough time to open it and think about the trouble I might be in before I reacted. Of course that was sage advice and I have never carried any weapon since that day. Trust me, a shovel and chain are as deadly as anything when used inappropriately. So forget the tool of choice and recognize the thought process behind the actions. I agree with a certain amount of gun control such as the president has suggested. But I also understand that for this society, that aint gonna be enough. Is right to carry the answer? I don’t know but many states are allowing it. There is tons of information available about the proper use of guns and laws pertaining to them. We also know about DUI but that number keeps going up as well. It is obvious that we the people are incapable of policing ourselves. Proper enforcement of the law with immediate and painful consequences that don’t go away is the only real answer here. It doesn’t work for lifelong criminals and that will be an ongoing battle. But for the average person that screws up, harsh penalties will get their attention. Let’s try that for a change.

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:09 am

HA! HA! G-Man, it was really supposed to be a story about learning. No didn't happen but I was sort of popular...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:16 am

CD U might as well submit it as another letter to the Editor. Maybe you should write a column. So what did you do for a living that enables you to be so comfortable now?

• CD BrooksFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:30 am

STR, funny you say that. I was thinking I might send it in. Hey I am always comfortable for many reasons. Number one, my wife of nearly 41 years. We grew up together and worked through some difficult circumstances. We made an ok living but never really made a lot of money. I guess because of that, we aren't suffering financially like a lot of folks that did and now can't get by. Now life is good and we are enjoying our grand kids. Doesn't get much better than that! :)

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:36 am

Well then I am happy for you CD. I married my husband because at the time he was such a jerk, that I thought he really deserved someone like me....both of us were not exactly aiming high at the time...got married in a fever...and it really has been a demolition derby ever since...but getting divorced does mess one up financially and over time you do get used to being with one person. At the current time he probably does have the worst end of the deal.

• G-ManFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:54 am

No doubt...

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 9:58 am

So G-Man have you ever had any dealings w/the Mossad?

• .Police Interrogation .February 21, 2013 - 10:10 am

• StRFebruary 21, 2013 - 10:39 am

Just Kidding....My only known contact was a couple of years ago in Dixon at a 4th of July Freedon rally type thing....they were posing as kinda hippyish anarchists.

• Mr. PracticalFebruary 27, 2013 - 7:52 am

The other advantage to a small pocket knife is you would have to stab someone 20 or 30 times to do any real damage! Do a You Tube search of "gridlock'd stab me" for a hilarious scence from one of the oddest and best buddy movies of all time (Disclaimer: Language)

Show features 3 men, 21 guitar strings, Bach

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Scores attend workshop on Fairfield Train Station

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 20 Comments | Gallery

Director brings light, humor to ‘Picnic’

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

State moves to install barrier on Delta channel

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Young inventors test catapult-making skills

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Military brats made memories

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2, 1 Comment

Women in Action to host bunco bash

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Il Fiorello all-in for chocolate favorites

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B3

Kroc Center hosts 1st science fair

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Judge provides update on status of Solano courts

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A4 | Gallery

County to host warehouse sale of surplus items

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Total Home, Garden and Outdoors Show starts

By Ian Thompson | From Page: B11 | Gallery

Weather for Friday, April 17, 2015

Fairfield police log: April 15, 2015

Suisun City police log: April 15, 2015

Office worker arrested for posing as dentist

Standardized tests to be taken on computers

National Guardsmen charged with selling arms

Drought is apparent cause for death of hundreds of elk

Auction house cancels internment camp art auction

WikiLeaks creates online archive of hacked Sony documents

Homeland chief: Gyrocopter came in ‘under the radar’

Amid chaos, Al-Qaida consolidates hold of Yemen province

Thousands flee as IS group advances on Iraq’s Ramadi

Putin confident on economy, offers to mend ties with West

Coast Guard makes seizure of 14 tons of cocaine

Today in history: Friday, April 17, 2015

Community Calendar: April 17, 2015

Horoscopes: April 17, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My son’s new girlfriend is insisting we sever ties with his former flame

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Week in preview April 17-23, 2015

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

New ‘Star Wars’ teaser, cast information revealed at event

Kim Richards of ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ arrested

Sarah Jessica Parker returns to HBO with comedy ‘Divorce’

Entertainment Calendar: April 17, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Ari Millen multiplies as male clones on ‘Orphan Black’

Prep girls soccer: Breeden lifts Vanden to 1-1 tie with Benicia

Prep softball: Vikings sail to 12-1 win over Falcons

Rodriguez earns 9-6 badminton win over Armijo

More changes likely for Kings after another losing season

Warriors? Cavs? Spurs again? No clear NBA Finals favorite

Phelps wins 100 butterfly at 1st meet in 8 months

JC baseball: Falcons lose battle for first to Mariners

Middle School soccer: Green Valley boys, girls sweep PSA

Prep swimming: Indians swim well, get swept by Wildcats

Prep boys golf: Mustangs fall to Crushers in MEL play

NBA players to be tested for HGH starting next season

NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension

Reports: Top prospect Kris Bryant headed to the Cubs

Spieth struggles in 1st round after Masters win

NBA sets attendance record with nearly 22 million fans

Jewell Loyd taken first in WNBA draft by Seattle

Giants rallies fall short in 7-6 loss to Dbacks in 12

Coroner: Ex-NFL running back’s cellmate death ruled homicide

Thief steals sneakers from Boston Marathon bombing survivors

This date in sports history for Friday, April 17, 2015

Signups for Friday, April 17, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B10

NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension

Woman who accused Winston of rape files lawsuit against him

Scion youth looks to sedan, hatchback to revive sales

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Obama signs overhaul of how Medicare pays doctors

More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week

US home construction off to weak March start

Apple digs in on green with China solar, US forest projects

VW recalls Chrysler-made minivans to fix ignition switches

Financial incentives OK’d for workplace wellness programs

Yahoo chooses to stay with Microsoft in updated search deal

Nissan expands air bag recall after Louisiana injury

Richard F. Coleman