Thursday, March 26, 2015

Stop the insult of Native American people

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | July 27, 2014 |

Armjio High School has a lot of nerve using sacred items and symbols of Native American people with no permission or right. It is not acceptable, and an insult to what Native Americans hold sacred to the memory of the ancestors who have gone before to the final resting place.

I say the school has no authorization or right to use those sacred symbols and items or depictions of the ancestors in a picture on the side of the school building with the school name written across the center of the picture. This is an insulting degradation of what is my belief and ancestors. I think respect is due and that the school should remove that picture from the school building wall facing Texas Street.

What this school did makes me angry and my blood boil. This is unacceptable and degrading, insulting to me and my ancestors and symbols of things that are sacred to us as Native American people.

I speak on behalf of all my brothers and sisters of Vallejo Intertribal and all our ancestors and on behalf of all Native Americans and all their ancestors. Stop the degradations, disrespect and insults to us and all that is sacred to us as Native American peoples. I’m part Cherokee and part Sioux.

Maureen Crawford

Vacaville

Letter to the Editor

• Shanna WieserJuly 25, 2014 - 10:58 pm

What is so insulting?? Why is it disrespectful?? I went to Armijo and we were honored to be the Armijo Indians. We never disrespected Native Americans in thoughts nor behavior. I am rumored to be part Cherokee but I will not claim it until I can prove. I do not find this particular issue offensive so if I am missing something please explain it I don't wish to be ignorant. Thank you

• Bill of RightsJuly 27, 2014 - 5:05 am

Ms. Crawford, what a joke! When I see this mural, I see strength and courage. I don't see mockery! Go fight for animal rights in Vacaville and petition to remove the Bulldogs mascot from VHS!

• JimboJuly 27, 2014 - 6:09 pm

I see people using a fake image to promote themselves not based on any permissions in the first place.

• DanielJuly 27, 2014 - 5:26 am

Liberalism run amok, too much time on their hands, on this same line of thinking, if you want to be non discriminatory against anyone, then the 49ers should change because it's an insult to CA gold panhandlers and the Giants because the name is an insult to large people and even short ones.

• JimboJuly 27, 2014 - 6:10 pm

The usual 'white privilege' response.

• MikeJuly 27, 2014 - 6:34 am

Is this the first you've seen this depiction? It's been proudly displayed for a number of years. Get a grip. This is only objectionable to you, stay in Vacaville.

• rlw895July 27, 2014 - 7:21 am

These mascots only last until people start to complain. They can't be defended.

• Seriously.....July 27, 2014 - 7:50 am

I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be Chief Solano of the Suisun Native American people. It's meant as a tribute, not an insult. The school itself was name after the Armijo family back in the 1800's.

• rlw895July 27, 2014 - 7:58 am

It's not Chief Solano. The mascot depicted is a plains Indian.

• Dances with DingdongsJuly 27, 2014 - 8:12 am

And how do you know that, rlw895?

• rlw895July 27, 2014 - 8:18 am

You're right. I should go look to see if they've changed it.

• Seriously.....July 27, 2014 - 9:25 am

Well, that's a bummer, it would have made more sense if they had painted Chief Solano! Thanks for the info, all these years I assumed it was him :/

• FDCJuly 27, 2014 - 8:01 am

How does Ms. Crawford feel about Fauxcahontas Warren's unsubstantiated claim to be a Native American so that she could gain some hiring or school admission advantage?

• WeaverwomanJuly 27, 2014 - 10:04 am

Why must we build walls to seperate our differences? Why can't we build bridges to to link our differences?

• Shanna WieserJuly 27, 2014 - 10:15 am

I would like to know what is so offensive? I went to school there and felt honored to be known as "the Indians". We never disrespected Native Americans nor dishonored Native Americans. So if someone would give me an intelligent answer to how the image is offensive I would appreciate it. I understand the issue with the "Redskins" that is offensive. I am at a loss as to why the depiction of a proud looking American man would offend anyone unless that person has disrespect for the image in their heart. Someone enlighten me.

• rlw895July 27, 2014 - 11:17 pm

Almost all Indian mascots are depicted as warriors, fierce in battle. It's one-dimensional and stereotyped.

• Shanna WieserJuly 27, 2014 - 11:35 pm

I have always honored the warriors in my family, so I have a hard time seeing them as one dimensional beings. I guess if one wants to see negative visions and view their world with negative thoughts then so be it. But remember that was a personal choice.

• rlw895July 27, 2014 - 11:50 pm

I guess I should also have mentioned that white privilege means you aren't ever expected to explain why something is offensive to your race.

• Dances with DingdongsJuly 28, 2014 - 7:12 am

rlw895's obtusity is exceeded only by his/her nastiness.

• Michelles-stepenfetchitJuly 27, 2014 - 4:43 pm

You are totally in error there Mrs or Ms or whatever your self appointed title---my great Uncle Chief Michelle Kurchibelle signed a contract decades ago to allow the school to use his likeness in perpetutity in whatever manner they desired. And I have it in strictest confidence that you are upset because the tribe has chosen to eliminate you from the tribe because of your recent conviction on child molestation charges. When the tribe constructs the Casino at the corner of Washington and Texas streets you will not be invited to attend the opening. Just like it said in the letter you received in the letter to your attorney.

• Mr. Crawford--Maureen's ExJuly 27, 2014 - 5:32 pm

Michelle Cumbucket--I speak on behalf of all my brothers and sisters of America Citizens and all our ancestors and on behalf of all Americans and all their ancestors. Stop the bullshiiite, disrespect and insults to us and all that is sacred to us American peoples. I’m full American Citizen. And full American Taxpayer. I bet you have never been a part of that last Tribe--you never claimed that. So cut the crap---I'm guessing your affiliations are more along the lines of San Francisco Chronichole--OBammy--Dianne Finehole--affiliations. Stop your useless accusations and needless comments that only serve to stir the passions of the persons with derangements and mental defects similar to your own. Please seek help, preferably at the nearest San Francisco thoghtfully provided outpost designed to provide the mentally deranged persons like yourself the needed temporary relief from your raging demons.

• The SugarJarJuly 27, 2014 - 5:50 pm

Dear Daily Republic, please note the sexist and or sexual language in the comments that are reported. In this case it is in the "funny" names.

• The SugarJarJuly 27, 2014 - 7:49 pm

Cum Bucket? Really?

• ChrisJuly 27, 2014 - 8:50 pm

so Ms. Crawford has been appointed by the 5.2 million people in the United States that identify as Native American?? Quite a feat wouldn't you say? Ms. Crawford, stfu and go back in your hole and leave people alone and learn what it is to be an American before you flap your lips again.

• Mr. SmithJuly 27, 2014 - 9:07 pm

I had to read this a couple of times to try and figure out if Ms. Crawford is pulling our collective "round eye" legs. Still not sure.

Vacaville honors top cops, support staff

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Kings honor Rankin, Mustangs

By Paul Farmer | From Page: A2, 1 Comment | Gallery

New meeting location for family support group

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Padan Elementary demonstrates new school culture

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Fairfield mall to host first aid kit assembly party

Fairfield police log: March 24, 2015

Suisun City police log: March 24, 2015

Frustration permeates college contract negotiations

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Vallejo woman’s story a hoax, police say

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 5 Comments

Deceased woman’s video supports Wolk’s bill

Man threatened suicide before shooting officer

We deserve freedom to choose our fate

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A5, 4 Comments

Community Calendar: March 26, 2015

Today in History: March 26, 2015

Horoscopes: March 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

After several years, my nieces now live with their father and are miserable

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

David Crosby in car accident with jogger

Contract not renewed for ‘Top Gear’ host

Felicity Jones excited, tight-lipped about Star Wars role

Prep badminton preview: City teams making their marks

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

6 teams with 10 or more losses most ever to reach Sweet 16

After 1st division title in 39 years, Warriors want more

Local report: Rodriguez boys swim past Vintage

Gomez uses offense and defense, leads Brewers past A’s

Cal to host UC Davis in 2019, Cal Poly in 2020

Lanny McDonald selected as chairman of Hockey Hall of Fame

Serena Williams hoping to play at Miami Open

Change to extra points likely in NFL

Bills to honor late owner Wilson with life-sized statue

Tulowitzki homers, Butler strong in Rockies’ win over Giants

Elliott heads to Martinsville to attempt 1st Sprint Cup race

Alameda County to join talks about new Oakland stadium

Rio mayor unveils controversial Olympic golf course

Joe Gibbs’ son being treated for ‘brain function’ issues

America’s Cup organizers want smaller, cheaper boats

Howard Leon Carnes