Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Solution to crime problem is simple

By From page A8 | June 08, 2014

A while back on the front page of our almost daily paper was the picture of our city’s Police Department front office addressing gang violence. They had their arms folded and looked defeated.

They asked for the community’s help with their problem. Now did you notice I said “their problem?” Because we the “taxpayers” expect them to do their job. They are asking us, “Joe citizen,” to put our lives on the line. I am guessing that there were $500,000 worth of our city’s law enforcement in uniform in that picture. Of course, I am including overtime pay to get dressed up. You can bet that not one of those officers in that picture was up there “volunteering” their own time to save the department money.

Now let’s get back to community and maybe some solutions to “their problem” before I get to my 325-word maximum.

Why would “Joe citizen” want to show up in court to help convict these gangbangers and put him and his family on their “hit list?” I guarantee you that the upscale neighborhoods that don’t have rentals or low-income apartments will not be on that neighborhood watch list. So why should other taxpaying residents be? Isn’t that why we pay for confidential informants in the Police Department?

The answer is simple and yet Mayor Harry Price, who formed a committee with the council’s consent, can’t remember how to help eliminate their problem. We are taking $10 million to $15 million a year in new tax money. Surely we can spend a few million on organizing a joint task force to smoke out the bad guys.

Let’s think outside the box and use grant money and other local cities to really clean this up. That’s why we bought that SWAT vehicle and command center RV, isn’t it?

Brad Anderson

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• boomJune 08, 2014 - 12:46 am

The solution to crime IS simple..... In a world with no laws.

• Make a differenceJune 08, 2014 - 10:24 pm

Nobody is asking you to go out and patrol or put on a vest and risk getting shot at. What the police who are using our tax dollars quite well are asking is that people quit ignoring crime, quit hiding the truth. If you see something report it, if you witness a crime help the police by telling them what you saw and if you're that darn afraid do it anonymously. You see how it works in communities that have manageable crime and feel safe, if we see criminals arguing in the streets, kids drinking or doing drugs in the park we call and let the police force know. CI's are not every where nor can officers be, so if you're okay with the possibility of your family member getting killed by a stray bullet while driving to work or eating out or heading to the store, then continue turning a blind eye. I will not!! Oh and I didn't when I lived in Richmond, CA either. In fact I had street lights repaired and crap picked up off the street and when I found my tires flat I hung up a sign for people to turn in guns and had the tires fixed because I cared about my neighborhood. I went to meetings with the police at community events and made sure kids got school supplies. I eventually moved but not before improving the neighborhood I lived in because I gave a crap about my family and the others around. Grafiti was cleaned, lights fixed and kids were able to play outside without old crap the city failed to pick up posing a safety threat.

• CD BrooksJune 09, 2014 - 7:29 am

Make a difference, crimes are solved with enforcement. Look around…

• Rick WoodJune 08, 2014 - 10:37 pm

Look up NextDoor.com and see if your area has an active group. If so, join up. If not, start one. FFPD is using NextDoor.com as a social media way of addressing crime, sort of like an online Neighborhood Watch. In fact, many Neighborhood Watch groups are also on NextDoor.

• CD BrooksJune 09, 2014 - 6:13 am

Rick, I signed on with NextDoor.com and found it informative at first. Then it turned into a political conversation and began to look like this site. If it works for you great, it just isn't for me.

• Rick WoodJune 10, 2014 - 4:42 pm

Too bad. It sounds like you need a moderator and some rules. I'm not sure if FFPD would have any influence, but they are encouraging the sites, so they might.

• CD BrooksJune 10, 2014 - 4:49 pm

Rick, no these folks began the whole gun thing and went downhill from there. I didn't sign up for political nonsense. I get enough of that here.

• Rick WoodJune 10, 2014 - 4:56 pm

Well, it IS an experiment.