Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Slow down and stop texting

By From page A13 | December 05, 2012

We exited the freeway recently behind a young woman who was texting, which is terribly dangerous.

Texting and cellphone use is still amazingly prevalent among a majority of drivers, young and old. It is so easy to spot and I cannot imagine any officer seeing that activity and not doing anything about it.

How about the grant money for Fairfield Police Department and when will they begin enforcing the law? That money will provide a huge return through revenue and I am anxious to see them get after it. Speeding, red-light and stop-sign violations are atrocious, out of control and incredibly unsafe. The problem is that the average driver has ignored the law and gotten away with it for so long, they just keep committing the crime.

Now you have been sufficiently warned that the hammer’s going to fall.

I am really looking forward to everyone hollering about getting cited. It might seem cruel but really, you are a threat to everyone else on the road. It would be a good time to revisit Driving 101 and refresh your knowledge of the vehicle code.

Frankly, from what I’ve seen, most drivers should never have been issued a license in the first place. What is even scarier is their kids will be driving soon and they learned their “skills” while riding with the adults.

Please don’t drink and drive, slow down, and have a Merry Christmas.

CD Brooks

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• GLGDecember 05, 2012 - 6:48 am

How can police/hiway patrol enforce talking on the phone when they're doing the same while they are driving?

• CD BrooksDecember 05, 2012 - 7:03 am

GLG, hint: They often don't set a good example. I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. That won't excuse you in court however...

• S KDecember 05, 2012 - 7:52 am

Right on CD. I agree 100%. All one has to do is look around seeing how many drivers are constantly on the phone. Even Ray Charles would have seen them. If I NEED to get on mine, I will pull over to a safe spot, parking lot, wherever. Or if my Wife and I are on the rode/freeway heading out of town, I will merely hand it over to her. As far as the CHP or police being on a phone, it is more than likely they are on their radio, or on the phone related to POLICE BUSINESS. Or they are setting up a coffee break at the nearest DONUT SHOP>>LOL LOL :-).

• cliff bensonDecember 05, 2012 - 9:24 am

I see it too, CD...but...I doubt that any "penalty" will totally stop it. Concern for one's own safety, passengers (including children) or that of other drivers doesn't appear to matter to chronic texters or cell phone users. As SK sed, If cell rings, or if urgent to use, best to pull over for safety reasons.

• Wait for it.....here it comes!December 05, 2012 - 7:55 pm

This has been your CD Brooks driving monthly minute...Now get out there and put your pedal to the metal!

• CD, that's who.December 05, 2012 - 8:15 pm

Who's gonna tell you when,..... It's too late,..... Who's gonna tell you things,..... Aren't so great....... You can't go on, thinkin',....... Nothings' wrong!,...... Who's gonna hang it up,....... When you call?......... Who's gonna pay attention...... Who's gonna come around,.... Who's gonna tell you - Oh, you know you can't go on, thinkin',Nothin's wrong!

• The Cars - DriveDecember 05, 2012 - 8:18 pm

• Wait for it.....here it comes!December 05, 2012 - 8:49 pm

Here's what we should do......Let's create the cd brooks California State Traffic Quality Commission...Then we can limit traffic on area roadways by the last Odd or Even number on your car's license plate. This has been another CD Brooks traffic minute for Solano County!

• CD BrooksDecember 06, 2012 - 8:55 am

Nice ring but my zero tolerance policy and raising penalty fees would land many of you in jail. I watched a woman driving nearly 60 MPH on Marigold Dr. Driving at such high speeds in residential neighborhoods has become outrageously commonplace.

• S KDecember 06, 2012 - 9:07 am

CD>>>I could not agree with you MORE>>>ZERO TOLERANCE>>>>PERIOD. The cops need to get out of the donut shops>>LOL>> and just look around, nearly every other or third car, I see a person on their cells. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS :-)

• CD BrooksDecember 06, 2012 - 3:40 pm

It was my pleasure driving around today seeing several people pulled over and in one case in particular, getting an animated speech from a police officer. I don’t know whether or not these people were cited or what they had done to get “lit up,” but it made my heart sing knowing it was on! Get er done FPD, I am enjoying the show! :)