Saturday, August 2, 2014

Vote for Don du Bain

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | May 08, 2014 |

As a former prosecutor (Napa County), I am voting for Don du Bain for district attorney.

I met Mr. du Bain shortly after he was elected. He changed a very successful career path to become a prosecutor because he wanted to serve the people of Solano County and victims of crime. He is responsible for bringing Solano’s Family Justice Center to fruition. It is because of the Family Justice Center that many victims are now safer today than before du Bain took office. I know this first hand as I volunteer there – helping victims of domestic violence protect themselves and their children. The Family Justice Center provides a safe place where all victims of crime can go for help – thanks to Don du Bain.

I attended the district attorney forum April 24. I noticed that Krishna Abrams misled the audience when she unjustifiably attacked Don du Bain with regard a cold murder case. Abrams accused du Bain of pulling the filed case, and then promoted herself as the reason the case was prosecuted.

Not entirely true.

Du Bain did pull the case, but he did so because the forensics were not in. It was premature to file it. Once the forensics were in, du Bain had it filed and brought to trial. There were also other inconsistencies in her presentation.

Don du Bain is tough on crime and has proven his dedication to fighting for and helping victims. Crime Victims United of California has endorsed him. Please cast your vote for Don du Bain.

Valerie Dodini

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• JBMay 08, 2014 - 5:03 am

Then why is he so soft on crime? The young people who kill the store owner at Travis Dairy basically got a slap on the wrist. They are thugs who took a man's life yet were hardly punished. The botched cases that have been surfacing. He is tough on crime all right tell that to the victims. Just another career politician.

• JBMay 08, 2014 - 5:04 am

Should be killed the store owner.

• Rich GiddensMay 08, 2014 - 7:55 am

Yeah right, vote for rich daddy's boy DuBain, the Republican, Solano Voters! Since you people hate the rich white Republicans then why would you vote for somebody who was rich, privledged, avoided military service during the Vietnam era and who disgraced his office while presiding over bungled and malicious prosecutions?

• The MisterMay 08, 2014 - 7:58 am

Crime in Solano County, and particularly violent crime in its county seat, is off the hook as a result of an entrenched culture of crime! If we keep doing what we've been doing, then we can expect to keep getting what we've been getting. The only logical reason for someone to vote for du Bain is to preserve the status quo... and those that benefit from law enforcement/justice industry, and who very well may have secrets they wish kept, will certainly vote for the status quo... they'll vote for du Bain. That's reason enough for me to vote for anyone else.

• UstandcorrectedMay 08, 2014 - 2:15 pm

Misleading? Not true. The forensics were in when the case was filed so I'm not sure where you got your inaccurate information. Even Mr. du Bain didn't claim otherwise at the candidate forum. Truth is du Bain tried to pull that case out the gate. He didn't want a loss in his first administration. I think I'll take the lead prosecutor's account over du Bain's. He's having some credibility issues these days.

• SalMay 08, 2014 - 7:23 pm

I have the perfect solution for Fairfield! Let's vote Pam Bertani for DA!

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 11:18 am

Ustandcorrected -- I'm not sure where you got your inaccurate information. I was at the forum. The case was originally filed by Paulson, and anyone familiar with him should have some questions. My hearing is excellent, but my recall is different than yours. I distinctly remember du Bain replying to Abrams' claim that he pulled the case because the forensics weren't in yet. He did file the case when appropriate; that was his call to go forward with it, not Abrams. Du Bain filed the case, so I don't understand why Abrams made such a big issue of it. She prosecuted the case. As far as claiming du Bain is soft on crime, the burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high one. Our system is designed to let 100 guilty people go free rather than convict one innocent person. I've done jury trials, and it's very frustrating to know that you've got a guilty defendant, but the jury hangs. A primary cause of light sentences after jury trials is the jury itself. It's extremely difficult to get a unanimous guilty verdict, because it's extremely difficult to pick a jury of 12 objective astute people. (the OJ case is a good example) I'd much rather be able to convict on 10 out of 12 (except for capital cases), than all 12 as it is now. But this state in it's current political climate would never pass such a law. It's very easy to blame a DA -- but there's much more that goes into a jury trial than the DA himself. However, the buck stops at him.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:12 pm

Don du Bain only allowed the case to go forward because of Krishna's passionate belief that my family after 17 years deserved to see justice. Don would never had proceeded with the Kerley trial if it wasn't for Krishna. He told me that himself.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:06 pm

Valerie, the cold case you are referring to was my step daughter's case and I'm sorry; but you are wrong. Don has told me himself on more than one occasion that he would NEVER have filed the case if it was up to him because it was too old and it was almost all circumstantial. Krishna told me honestly she didn't know if she could win it but that she was going to put everything she had into getting justice for Danna, 17 years after her murder.

• RoscoMay 09, 2014 - 2:39 pm

Ms. Dever I'm so glad you had Krishna Abrams on your daughter's case and that justice was served. As for du Bain, he doesn't have an ounce of courage and has never tried a homicide. As a prosecutor he's not even in the same league as Abrams.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:55 pm

As am I Rosco, every day I thank God that we had Krishna. No one outside my family will ever know the long hours and dedication Krishna put into this case....but we do and we are all voting for her.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 3:11 pm

Susan, Thank you for your comment. I am thankful that Ms Abrams was able to achieve justice for your step daughter. As for the circumstances surrounding the filing, I can only attest to what I heard at the forum. I also have more information regarding Ms. Abrams, info that is not relevant to your case, which causes me concern.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 3:33 pm

Thank you Been There. And I agree with you that is what was said at the forum as I was there myself and heard it; but I feel I must state the truth for the record. I also feel over the long, hard, emotional 3 year process in finding justice for Danna (grand jury hearings, pre-trial after pre-trial and then the almost three month long trial) that I got to know Krishna, not only as an outstanding prosecutor but as a woman with integrity that truly cares about the victims in our community. I also know that Don du Bain knows this as well. They may be opponents in this race but it was Don who nominated her for the top prosecutor of the year.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Thanks again, Susan. At the forum, Ms. Abrams could have replied to du Bain's response (re: forensics not in), but she did not, so, as I said before, I can only go on what I heard. I do think it speaks well for Don that he nominated Krishna for prosecutor of the year. It appears he does go to bat for his people. Also, I don't know if you are aware, but there is a homicide survivors support group that meets once a month at the Family Justice Center. We are able to meet because of Don's support. The group meets the second Tuesday of every month, 7 pm. The next meeting is this coming Tuesday, May 13th. All survivors of homicide, whether or not the perpetrator has been apprehended, are welcome. A psychiatrist trained in trauma grief is present at the meetings to assist.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 4:09 pm

I'm sure that Krishna could have easily refuted Don's comment about the forensics but she (unlike Don) honored the rules set from the beginning of the forum that this was not a debate. The moderator asked each of the candidates to each answer the questions that he posed and to remember that this was not a debate. Thank you for the invite to this group.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 4:56 pm

You are correct, but if she was being unjustly accused she could have spoken up. Not doing so leaves an implication that du Bain was correct in his assertion. I hope to meet you at an upcoming meeting.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 5:44 pm

Thank you Been There.....it would be nice to talk face to face. And thank you for your comments. I will see if I can help clear up this misconception. If you feel this way, there may be others and since I was intimately involved I think I need to present my side.

• Been thereMay 10, 2014 - 10:16 am

Hi Susan, Yes, it would be nice to meet you and talk face to face. I know you need to do what you feel is right. After hearing from you and hearing what was presented at the forum, coupled with the fact that I am a former prosecutor, my take is that we may not know everything that went into the decision to pull and then prosecute your stepdaughter's case. It's my understanding that the case was filed while on Paulson's watch. I know requesting a review of the newly filed felony cases would be the wise and cautious thing to do for any new incoming DA. Don would have no doubt probably relied on his chief deputy DA for input on your stepdaughter's matter. We don't know if the chief deputy also had doubts about the case. I don't know if you had any conversations with him/her. Even Krishna told you that she wasn't sure she could get a conviction. However, the bottom line is that du Bain approved of the filing and prosecution of the case (apparently once he was able to review the forensic evidence). Without his okay the case would not have gone forward. He was being cautious, I feel, because murder cases are extremely expensive to prosecute. I know as a victim that the cost shouldn't matter, but a DA has to consider costs, especially when the DA budget had been severely cut due to the bad economy. Also, Don knew that Krishna did a great job and deserved to be nominated for prosecutor of the year. He made the effort to nominate her to the CDAA for the award, and he was no doubt very convincing in his convictions of her performance in his nomination. He gave credit where credit was due. (BTW -- the CDAA gives several prosecutor of the year awards each year -- one for large, medium and small counties. I worked with a DDA in Napa who received a prosecutor of the year award for small counties. He was an astounding prosecutor, but his management skills didn't rise up to his talent as a prosecutor. Great guy, though.) So it's my opinion that your stepdaughter's case was a team effort, with Krishna doing the lion's share of the work, which is her job as a prosecutor. I hope I haven't bent your ear too much. We can talk more about this, if you like, at a survivor meeting.

• Susan DeverMay 10, 2014 - 9:24 pm

Hi Being there....I will definitely try to make it Tuesday night....but I have to say I'm not an attorney .... I'm just an ordinary citizen who happened to have a loved one go missing and spent 14 years with her dad knowing that there was a man out there walking around, getting married, going on with his life all the while knowing that he had killed our daughter. And you're right....to me the cost should not be the deciding factor on whether or not a murderer should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The victim and the family deserve nothing less. Also, I don't need to talk to Don's deputy because as I said Don told me himself, on more than one occasion, that he wouldn't have proceeded with the case if not for Krishna (and Julie's) persistence. He never once said it was because he thought it was filed prematurely or because the forensic evidence was't in yet....he wouldn't tell me that because it's just not true. I was there every day and while I couldn't be in the courtroom most of the time (because I was a witness) other family members were in there and I can tell you that the forensic(s) or lack of....did not play a part in the trial. It was his history of abuse...after abuse, before, during and after Danna that convicted him. We'll talk more in person...maybe I can convince you to vote for Krishna!

County unveils Solano economic diversification study

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1

Fairfield, Vacaville face off at Solano fair

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Reports close books on Solano DA race spending

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

’4 guys, 4 guns’ case ends with acquittals

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Starbucks card as bribe? Not this time

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

County offers free Hepatitis C testing

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Commune with your neighbors on National Night Out

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: July 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: July 31, 2014

Weather for Aug. 2, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Stars willing to risk opinions on Gaza clash

In brief lull, Gaza’s displaced survey devastation

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Congress backs Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense

Poll: Public ready to close book on 2 wars

Israel pounds Gaza as it searches for soldier

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Last ex-city official sentenced in corruption case

California prisons alter treatment of mentally ill

Court gives new life to California high-speed rail

Lightning sparks dozens of new California fires

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Attorney in deadly bank robbery requests records

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Report disputes mom’s claim in school altercation

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Ukraine: Body parts retrieved at jet crash site

2 Americans detained in North Korea seek US help

Iran opens first state-run alcohol rehab center

Remains of Air Algerie crash victims now in Paris

China bladder trade sending porpoise to extinction

Uruguayan pot marketplace may go up in smoke

Ugandan court invalidates anti-gay law

Ebola moving faster than control efforts

By The Associated Press | From Page: A11 | Gallery

Stolen WWI gas mask found in pawn shop

WWI aviation still alive at aerodrome in New York

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Perspective needed on Gaza conflict

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Vogelsong stifles Mets in Giants’ 5-1 win

Baseball Notebook: Vanden grads Negron, Aplin making their mark

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Raul Ibanez homers to carry Royals past A’s 1-0

Giants RHP Cain needs surgery to remove bone chips

Expos stop Shockers, stay alive in state tourney

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

Redskins WR Jerry Rice Jr to have shoulder surgery

Spurs sign Tony Parker to extension

Browns’ Gordon meets with NFL on appeal

Woods, Mickelson paired together again in a major

George suffers serious leg injury in US exhibition

Montoya interested in running The Double for Penske

Nick Watney leads Barracuda Championship

Anaheim Ducks to retire Selanne’s jersey Jan. 11

Mudcats still alive in Auburn Classic

Sergio Garcia shoots 61 to take Firestone lead

Goodell defends NFL’s 2-game suspension of Rice

Packers unveil statue for the Lambeau Leap

Marco Dawson leads 3M Championship

PGA Tour refutes report Johnson suspended

Blaine Gabbert learning 49ers system

Jon Lester ready to help lead A’s back to playoffs

Hunter-Reay tops after early Mid-Ohio practices

Larson wins 1st career pole at Pocono Raceway

Raiders’ Bergstrom adding center to his resume

US job growth eases but tops 200K for a 6th month

Rare summer relief for gasoline prices

US auto sales sizzle in July, helped by discounts

S&P 500 has its worst week in 2 years

Microsoft sues Samsung over halt to royalties

HP to pay $32.5M to settle Postal Service dispute

Hyundai recalls more than 419K vehicles

Allergan sues Valeant, claims fraud in buy attempt

Marjorie Lee Myrick

Alice Marion Brown

Enid Mary Vesci

Home Seller 08/2/14

Right at Home: cooking up a color-happy kitchen

By The Associated Press | From Page: HSR2