Friday, July 25, 2014

Vote for Don du Bain

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | May 08, 2014 |

As a former prosecutor (Napa County), I am voting for Don du Bain for district attorney.

I met Mr. du Bain shortly after he was elected. He changed a very successful career path to become a prosecutor because he wanted to serve the people of Solano County and victims of crime. He is responsible for bringing Solano’s Family Justice Center to fruition. It is because of the Family Justice Center that many victims are now safer today than before du Bain took office. I know this first hand as I volunteer there – helping victims of domestic violence protect themselves and their children. The Family Justice Center provides a safe place where all victims of crime can go for help – thanks to Don du Bain.

I attended the district attorney forum April 24. I noticed that Krishna Abrams misled the audience when she unjustifiably attacked Don du Bain with regard a cold murder case. Abrams accused du Bain of pulling the filed case, and then promoted herself as the reason the case was prosecuted.

Not entirely true.

Du Bain did pull the case, but he did so because the forensics were not in. It was premature to file it. Once the forensics were in, du Bain had it filed and brought to trial. There were also other inconsistencies in her presentation.

Don du Bain is tough on crime and has proven his dedication to fighting for and helping victims. Crime Victims United of California has endorsed him. Please cast your vote for Don du Bain.

Valerie Dodini

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• JBMay 08, 2014 - 5:03 am

Then why is he so soft on crime? The young people who kill the store owner at Travis Dairy basically got a slap on the wrist. They are thugs who took a man's life yet were hardly punished. The botched cases that have been surfacing. He is tough on crime all right tell that to the victims. Just another career politician.

• JBMay 08, 2014 - 5:04 am

Should be killed the store owner.

• Rich GiddensMay 08, 2014 - 7:55 am

Yeah right, vote for rich daddy's boy DuBain, the Republican, Solano Voters! Since you people hate the rich white Republicans then why would you vote for somebody who was rich, privledged, avoided military service during the Vietnam era and who disgraced his office while presiding over bungled and malicious prosecutions?

• The MisterMay 08, 2014 - 7:58 am

Crime in Solano County, and particularly violent crime in its county seat, is off the hook as a result of an entrenched culture of crime! If we keep doing what we've been doing, then we can expect to keep getting what we've been getting. The only logical reason for someone to vote for du Bain is to preserve the status quo... and those that benefit from law enforcement/justice industry, and who very well may have secrets they wish kept, will certainly vote for the status quo... they'll vote for du Bain. That's reason enough for me to vote for anyone else.

• UstandcorrectedMay 08, 2014 - 2:15 pm

Misleading? Not true. The forensics were in when the case was filed so I'm not sure where you got your inaccurate information. Even Mr. du Bain didn't claim otherwise at the candidate forum. Truth is du Bain tried to pull that case out the gate. He didn't want a loss in his first administration. I think I'll take the lead prosecutor's account over du Bain's. He's having some credibility issues these days.

• SalMay 08, 2014 - 7:23 pm

I have the perfect solution for Fairfield! Let's vote Pam Bertani for DA!

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 11:18 am

Ustandcorrected -- I'm not sure where you got your inaccurate information. I was at the forum. The case was originally filed by Paulson, and anyone familiar with him should have some questions. My hearing is excellent, but my recall is different than yours. I distinctly remember du Bain replying to Abrams' claim that he pulled the case because the forensics weren't in yet. He did file the case when appropriate; that was his call to go forward with it, not Abrams. Du Bain filed the case, so I don't understand why Abrams made such a big issue of it. She prosecuted the case. As far as claiming du Bain is soft on crime, the burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high one. Our system is designed to let 100 guilty people go free rather than convict one innocent person. I've done jury trials, and it's very frustrating to know that you've got a guilty defendant, but the jury hangs. A primary cause of light sentences after jury trials is the jury itself. It's extremely difficult to get a unanimous guilty verdict, because it's extremely difficult to pick a jury of 12 objective astute people. (the OJ case is a good example) I'd much rather be able to convict on 10 out of 12 (except for capital cases), than all 12 as it is now. But this state in it's current political climate would never pass such a law. It's very easy to blame a DA -- but there's much more that goes into a jury trial than the DA himself. However, the buck stops at him.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:12 pm

Don du Bain only allowed the case to go forward because of Krishna's passionate belief that my family after 17 years deserved to see justice. Don would never had proceeded with the Kerley trial if it wasn't for Krishna. He told me that himself.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:06 pm

Valerie, the cold case you are referring to was my step daughter's case and I'm sorry; but you are wrong. Don has told me himself on more than one occasion that he would NEVER have filed the case if it was up to him because it was too old and it was almost all circumstantial. Krishna told me honestly she didn't know if she could win it but that she was going to put everything she had into getting justice for Danna, 17 years after her murder.

• RoscoMay 09, 2014 - 2:39 pm

Ms. Dever I'm so glad you had Krishna Abrams on your daughter's case and that justice was served. As for du Bain, he doesn't have an ounce of courage and has never tried a homicide. As a prosecutor he's not even in the same league as Abrams.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 2:55 pm

As am I Rosco, every day I thank God that we had Krishna. No one outside my family will ever know the long hours and dedication Krishna put into this case....but we do and we are all voting for her.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 3:11 pm

Susan, Thank you for your comment. I am thankful that Ms Abrams was able to achieve justice for your step daughter. As for the circumstances surrounding the filing, I can only attest to what I heard at the forum. I also have more information regarding Ms. Abrams, info that is not relevant to your case, which causes me concern.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 3:33 pm

Thank you Been There. And I agree with you that is what was said at the forum as I was there myself and heard it; but I feel I must state the truth for the record. I also feel over the long, hard, emotional 3 year process in finding justice for Danna (grand jury hearings, pre-trial after pre-trial and then the almost three month long trial) that I got to know Krishna, not only as an outstanding prosecutor but as a woman with integrity that truly cares about the victims in our community. I also know that Don du Bain knows this as well. They may be opponents in this race but it was Don who nominated her for the top prosecutor of the year.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Thanks again, Susan. At the forum, Ms. Abrams could have replied to du Bain's response (re: forensics not in), but she did not, so, as I said before, I can only go on what I heard. I do think it speaks well for Don that he nominated Krishna for prosecutor of the year. It appears he does go to bat for his people. Also, I don't know if you are aware, but there is a homicide survivors support group that meets once a month at the Family Justice Center. We are able to meet because of Don's support. The group meets the second Tuesday of every month, 7 pm. The next meeting is this coming Tuesday, May 13th. All survivors of homicide, whether or not the perpetrator has been apprehended, are welcome. A psychiatrist trained in trauma grief is present at the meetings to assist.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 4:09 pm

I'm sure that Krishna could have easily refuted Don's comment about the forensics but she (unlike Don) honored the rules set from the beginning of the forum that this was not a debate. The moderator asked each of the candidates to each answer the questions that he posed and to remember that this was not a debate. Thank you for the invite to this group.

• Been thereMay 09, 2014 - 4:56 pm

You are correct, but if she was being unjustly accused she could have spoken up. Not doing so leaves an implication that du Bain was correct in his assertion. I hope to meet you at an upcoming meeting.

• Susan DeverMay 09, 2014 - 5:44 pm

Thank you Been There.....it would be nice to talk face to face. And thank you for your comments. I will see if I can help clear up this misconception. If you feel this way, there may be others and since I was intimately involved I think I need to present my side.

• Been thereMay 10, 2014 - 10:16 am

Hi Susan, Yes, it would be nice to meet you and talk face to face. I know you need to do what you feel is right. After hearing from you and hearing what was presented at the forum, coupled with the fact that I am a former prosecutor, my take is that we may not know everything that went into the decision to pull and then prosecute your stepdaughter's case. It's my understanding that the case was filed while on Paulson's watch. I know requesting a review of the newly filed felony cases would be the wise and cautious thing to do for any new incoming DA. Don would have no doubt probably relied on his chief deputy DA for input on your stepdaughter's matter. We don't know if the chief deputy also had doubts about the case. I don't know if you had any conversations with him/her. Even Krishna told you that she wasn't sure she could get a conviction. However, the bottom line is that du Bain approved of the filing and prosecution of the case (apparently once he was able to review the forensic evidence). Without his okay the case would not have gone forward. He was being cautious, I feel, because murder cases are extremely expensive to prosecute. I know as a victim that the cost shouldn't matter, but a DA has to consider costs, especially when the DA budget had been severely cut due to the bad economy. Also, Don knew that Krishna did a great job and deserved to be nominated for prosecutor of the year. He made the effort to nominate her to the CDAA for the award, and he was no doubt very convincing in his convictions of her performance in his nomination. He gave credit where credit was due. (BTW -- the CDAA gives several prosecutor of the year awards each year -- one for large, medium and small counties. I worked with a DDA in Napa who received a prosecutor of the year award for small counties. He was an astounding prosecutor, but his management skills didn't rise up to his talent as a prosecutor. Great guy, though.) So it's my opinion that your stepdaughter's case was a team effort, with Krishna doing the lion's share of the work, which is her job as a prosecutor. I hope I haven't bent your ear too much. We can talk more about this, if you like, at a survivor meeting.

• Susan DeverMay 10, 2014 - 9:24 pm

Hi Being there....I will definitely try to make it Tuesday night....but I have to say I'm not an attorney .... I'm just an ordinary citizen who happened to have a loved one go missing and spent 14 years with her dad knowing that there was a man out there walking around, getting married, going on with his life all the while knowing that he had killed our daughter. And you're right....to me the cost should not be the deciding factor on whether or not a murderer should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The victim and the family deserve nothing less. Also, I don't need to talk to Don's deputy because as I said Don told me himself, on more than one occasion, that he wouldn't have proceeded with the case if not for Krishna (and Julie's) persistence. He never once said it was because he thought it was filed prematurely or because the forensic evidence was't in yet....he wouldn't tell me that because it's just not true. I was there every day and while I couldn't be in the courtroom most of the time (because I was a witness) other family members were in there and I can tell you that the forensic(s) or lack of....did not play a part in the trial. It was his history of abuse...after abuse, before, during and after Danna that convicted him. We'll talk more in person...maybe I can convince you to vote for Krishna!

Big Chuckllz, fellow comics want to keep Fairfield laughing

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Holly Stell ready for new adventure, plans Sunday concert

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Solano actors join forces for new single, ‘Groove Me’

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

The Leaven to open center in Parkway Gardens

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1

CSP Solano inmates make music for rehabilitation

By Krissi Khokhobashvili | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Memories vivid as Parents’ Day approaches

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Travis Dairy killer remains jailed after latest plea

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Bay Stage filled with entertainment at Solano County Fair

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B3

Organizers seek riders, volunteers for Ride to Defeat Diabetes

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Friday concerts begin Aug. 1 at Solano Town Center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B3

Bay Area’s air district issues Spare the Air alert

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4

Assembly candidate Henthorn to appear at GOP dinner

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

Police chase shuts down EB I-80 in Vacaville

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Fairfield police log: July 23, 2014

Daily Republic seeks good news for column

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A12, 22 Comments

Execution offers evidence against lethal injection

Judge argues for return of firing squad executions

California removes lane splitting guidelines

Outcry saves rare redwood from being chopped down

California wine collector set for sentencing on fraud charges

Satellites show major groundwater loss from Colorado River

Obama wants limits on US company mergers abroad

Toxic algae closes Oakland’s Lake Temescal

California man gets 4 years in counterfeit case

SF professor charged with taping students in bathroom

House panel clears way for vote on Obama lawsuit

Feds cap fines for not buying health insurance

House, Senate chairs offer competing bills on VA

Doctor fired back at gunman in hospital attack

Social Security’s $300M IT project doesn’t work

More US girls now getting cervical cancer vaccine

Storm slams Virginia campground; 2 dead

Very bad week: Airline disasters come in a cluster

Islamic militants seize part of Syrian army base

Iraq elects new president as attacks kill dozens

Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation

UN school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed

Air Algerie jet with 116 on board crashes in Mali

As inmate died, lawyers debated if he was in pain

Editorial Cartoons for July 25, 2014

Call for tech diversity misplaced

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11

Is parenting being criminalized in America?

By Ben Boychuk and Joel Mathis | From Page: A11

Coyote epidemic in Fairfield

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Today in History for July 25, 2014

Community Calendar: July 25, 2014

Horoscopes for July 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My siblings want friends to handle sale of our father’s house

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Week in preview July 25-31, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Review: Allen casts a limp spell in ‘Magic’

By Jake Coyle | From Page: B2

Review: ‘Lucy’ won’t stretch your brain capacity

Robert Downey Jr. open to returning for ‘Iron Man 4’

Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to go wild with ‘Manimal’ movie

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: B2

Kiss, Usher, J.Lo to perform at Fashion Rocks

Pop star Azalea talking fashion on MTV

Jon Bon Jovi to be honored for humanitarian work

Malkovich, Cumberbatch make Comic-Con premieres

Entertainment calendar July 25, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Stonestreet: Acceptance will grow for gay athletes

Moss powers A’s past Astros

Eagles soar past Expos in Area 1 tourney

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7

Hudson solid, Hammels better in Giants’ loss to Phillies

Indians win 14-8 over Mudcats

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B7

49ers’ Smith plans to meet soon with Commissioner Goodell

Pucker up! NASCAR returns to Brickyard

Manning getting used to new faces on Broncos

Raiders CB Hayden to start camp on PUP

Nibali wins Stage 18, closes in on Tour victory

AP source: Gordon to meet with league Aug. 1

Langer leads British Senior by 2 after 1st round

A’s Johnson designated for assignment

Taiwan sweeps US in 1st day of International Crown

AP Source: NFL stadium sites explored in Toronto

2 Texas football players charged with sexual assault

Cavs sign Wiggins, who can’t be traded for 30 days

Suspended WR Blackmon arrested on drug complaint

Signups for Friday, July 25, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

Ravens RB Rice receives 2-game suspension from NFL

Lynch expected to hold out from Seahawks camp

Putnam, Petrovic share Canadian Open lead

Sports on TV/Local sports for Friday, July 25, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B10

This date in sports history for Friday, July 25, 2014

Weather for July 25, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

LR4 is updated for fuel efficiency

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1

Ford’s green push

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: C2

Varying health premium subsidies worry consumers

US unemployment aid applications drop to 284,000

Dunkin’ pushing cashiers to ‘upsell’ in afternoons

Court throws out Chiquita terror payment claims

Bombardier restructuring cuts 1,800 jobs globally

Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros

US new-home sales plummet in June

Across US job market, layoffs are becoming rare

Nelson Max Allen

Shirley T. ‘Mac’ McFadden

By Nancy Green | From Page: A4, 5 Comments

Mary Bell Scrivner Sanders

By Nancy Green | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Arturo Montenegro

Mary Spingola Stagnaro

Zits

Crossword

Solano County Fair 2014

Cultural exhibits, entertainment are fair highlights

By Solano County Fair | From Page: SCF2 | Gallery

Bay Stage talent competitions, nightly karaoke party

By Solano County Fair | From Page: SCF3

Jack & Bernice Newell Junior Livestock Auction returns to fair

By Solano County Fair | From Page: SCF4 | Gallery

Big names, big sounds grace fair stage

By Solano County Fair | From Page: SCF4 | Gallery

Bay Stage welcomes wide array of entertainers

By Solano County Fair | From Page: SCF15 | Gallery