Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Response to ‘liberal’ letter was right

By From page A11 | November 10, 2012

I want to commend Annette Summers for her letter to the editor of Nov. 8, which was in response to Betty Catania’s letter, “Defining what liberals have done in America.”

When I read Ms. Catania’s letter, I was furious at every glaring misrepresentation, i.e. “lie,” that stared me in the face. For the sake of our children, I knew I had to respond, but Ms. Summers beat me to it.

It is obvious from Ms. Catania’s letter that she is most likely a product of our dysfunctional education system, where facts go through a process called “revisionism” and are presented to future students as “new facts.” How convenient that Ms. Catania completely ignored the fact that Republicans were the primary force behind the passage of these important issues, making her entire presentation false.

I don’t know where she got her information, but the frightening part of this is that Ms. Catania’s “historical garbage” is probably what is being taught in our schools today. Thank goodness that Ms. Summers corrected this fantasy with the honest and true facts. I can only hope that today’s youth, our next generation, will also read Ms. Summer’s letter – if they can read at all. If not, then God help us all.

I am 62 and went to school when the facts, and just the facts, were taught.

Paul J. Hames

Suisun City

Letter to the Editor

• Chico DadNovember 10, 2012 - 9:14 am

The scary part is that she is a retired teacher!

• L.November 10, 2012 - 12:50 pm

Who was a very good teacher and knows her stuff.

• L.November 10, 2012 - 12:48 pm

Umm, those Republicans of yore were Liberals. The movers and shakers of the early Progressive era, the time in which you're clutching your pearls over, were often times Republicans. They had a liberal streak a mile wide. There were vestigial liberal organs in the Republican Party right up to Richard Nixon and his founding of the EPA. Ms. Summers and your letters are just sad and embarrassing.

• laffsatliersNovember 12, 2012 - 12:04 pm

Except, "L", Mrs. Catania strung together a calumnious mixture of part fact, part lie, and sheer baloney. She seemed to have picked a bunch of good things and claimed that liberalism brought them about, regardless of history. She claims that she had no intention of raising issues regarding political parties, but her intention was crystal clear: Lie about Republicans and glorify Democrats. She wasted her time in California, although, since she was preaching to the choir.

• HKNovember 12, 2012 - 1:31 pm

Except that wasn't Ms.Catania's letter at all, laffsatlier; don't project your Republican vs. Democrat mentality into other people's points. Do yourself a favor and look up "progressivism" and its astounding ability to bring about progress (!!!) and maybe you'll see her point.

• laffsatliersNovember 12, 2012 - 7:11 pm

@HK: I suggest that you follow the thread of this discussion carefully. The origin of it all is Mrs. Catania's laugher. Further, nowhere in what I wrote can you find me referring to one party or the other. I am merely observing that Mrs. Catania played very loosely with the truth in an effort to exert her own political views. Humbug!

• HKNovember 13, 2012 - 1:37 am

I did read Mrs. Catania's letter. She discussed liberalism's history in this country and not once did *she* mention the Republican or Democratic parties. But I take it liberalism as an abstract concept is a wee bit difficult for your ilk. As for your assertion that "nowhere in what I wrote can you find me referring to one party or the other," well, I guess your comment that "[Catania] lies about Republicans and glorify Democrats," is throwing me off. Because that's kind of exactly referencing parties, isn't it?