Letters to editor

Reply to Mr. Nice Guy

By From page A8 | February 17, 2014

This letter is in response to Mr. Nice Guy column (Friday, Feb. 7, 2014). I normally do not respond to his opinions, but the comment at the end of the column which stated, “I hope Obamacare collapses,” was too much for me to overlook.

With all the misinformation about the Affordable Care Act, his comment only added more fuel to the already misinformed. The Affordable Care Act is helping numerous needy individuals. A nephew of mine who was in college was able to remain on his father’s insurance until my nephew reaches the age of 26. My sister, who has breast cancer that required expensive medication, can now breathe a sigh of relief since she doesn’t have to pay additional out-of-pocket expense at the end of the year. My neighbor, who could not get insurance because of diabetes, a pre-existing condition, can now get insurance.

I think about the people who are benefiting from Social Security and Medicare – if these programs had collapsed – what would they do? I hope Mr. Nice Guy realizes that there are still people who have legitimate needs in our society.

John L. Alexander

Letter to the Editor

• The MisterFebruary 17, 2014 - 7:36 am

If your examples are the blessing you've described, then you are the exception, not the rule.

• MadelineFebruary 17, 2014 - 9:04 am

There were already plenty of programs in place to help people like you stated especially diabetics. For a clear picture of how much Obamacare is hurting our country as to the needs of the many for those of the few read this link : http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-employers-slash-hours-avoid-obamacare

• MadelineFebruary 17, 2014 - 9:27 am

Mr. Alexander it is not misinformation. The ACA completely ignores everyone who works a part time job. Think student, think person unable or unqualified for full time employment. Bascially think outside your little social network to the bigger picture. Google this phrase: "US employers slashing worker hours to avoid Obamacare insurance mandate" to get a better understanding o f how Obamacare is killing the work week, costing people higher insurance rates therfore raising poverty. And all for the needs of a few. That is too high a price considering we already had programs in place! The needs of the many must always outweigh the needs of the few. The schism between poverty and wealth looms larger than ever since the presidency changed. We should inform ourselves and be on guard by not being misled like lambs to the slaughter.

• JagFebruary 17, 2014 - 11:45 am

I agree with Madeline, I love the fact that my kids can stay on until the age of 26 but I also am in the thinking that health care is a privilege not a right now with that said I also realize my thinking is far to the right so my point is we could have come together and come up with something much better the what we have,

• Danny BuntinFebruary 17, 2014 - 6:42 pm

Madeline: The ACA is a right leaning plan. A left leaning plan would be single payer administered by the govt, or Medicare for all. It surely was not the left who put all these loopholes in the act.

• patrickFebruary 17, 2014 - 11:56 am

I have worked all my life paying into social security. when my social security is deposited into my bank I find that $i04.40 is deducted for medicare. the powers that be now tell us that they are running out of money for SSI. where are they getting money for welfare? look at the taxes attached to affordable health care.

• Mr. PracticalFebruary 17, 2014 - 5:51 pm

Patrick, there are 18 taxes embedded in the law. Many directly impact the middle class. Remember Obama'a campaign promise to not raise taxes on households earning less than $250,000 a year? The impact is starting to be felt. Only 35 percent now saw they support the law and 62 percent are now opposed.

• Danny BuntinFebruary 17, 2014 - 7:02 pm

Mr P: "The impact is starting to be felt", by whom? You? Not Me. I can speak for my family(<$200k): My family 46M 41F 15F 10M have coverage through Kaiser. Our family plan went down, and our coverage went up with less co-pays for visits and RX since we signed up through Covered California. Also, you know that a percentage of that 62 percent want Single payer. It is a little disingenuous to not clarify that point, because without that group your argument is not as strong.

• patrickFebruary 18, 2014 - 12:17 pm

who do you contact for the government subsidy danny?

• Danny BuntinFebruary 18, 2014 - 1:14 pm

I received no subsidy. Coverage was the same, co-pays and dues were lower.

• JohnFebruary 17, 2014 - 6:31 pm