Why is Sept. 24 significant? It happens to be the national day of voter registration, a very important day in our nation.
Voting is the responsibility of the people and registering to vote establishes that privilege for the voter. According to some statistics, 70 percent of Americans who are eligible to vote have registered but the remaining 30 percent have not committed themselves to vote.
Most common questions about voting are as follows. How do I register to vote? Am I eligible to vote? What is absentee voting? How do I vote early? How do I find my polling place?
If you need help and have access to a computer, go to www.RegistertoVote.org, a nonpartisan organization. Voter registration forms are in Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese.
You may also pick up a paper voter registration application at the county elections office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles offices or the U.S. post office. You must be a United States citizen, a resident of California, 18 years of age or older on Election Day, not in prison or parole, serving a state prison sentence in county jail.
For more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, kindly see the Secretary of State’s Voting “Rights for Californians with Criminal Convictions or Detained in Jail or Prison.”