Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Why Walmart doesn’t have a garage

By From page A8 | February 10, 2014

I am writing in response to a letter written to the editor by Steve Karsten about a Super Walmart auto garage (Jan. 30). As it was explained to me originally, one of the concessions Walmart made when it wanted to locate on North Texas Street was that there would not be an auto-type shop for fear it would put all the tire and garage shops on the street out of business. Considering that no one can compete with their discount business model, stores like Big-O, Les Schwab and other tire supply and oil change businesses would essentially vanish overnight.

It is the give and take of the city’s business model.

With an attempt to attract business to the North Texas Street corridor, the last thing the city wants is a 30 percent increase in vacancies. Unlike Vacaville, Fairfield does not have tax revenues that the outlets and other developments have given them.

I can provide quantifiable statistics that unequivocally prove that adding a tire supply and oil change to the Super Walmart would result in the closure of several businesses on the North Texas Street corridor. So before expressing your frustration about convenience and more affordable pricing, you should consider the long-term effects your proposal would have on the community you live in.

Brian Runkle

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• Former FF ResidentFebruary 10, 2014 - 3:59 am

Brian, you're assumption is incorrect...

• Tax payerFebruary 10, 2014 - 6:14 am

Let's get our facts straight. Vacaville has the Premium Outlets and you have the Solano Mall. Just outside the Solano Mall I believe Sears has a tire center. What's the difference? Free trade, compete or close...

• Legend1949February 10, 2014 - 6:58 am

How do you "compete" when Walmart pays minimum wage, workers are part time,(no benefits ) If you think I'm wrong I suggest you try going to work for Walmart and then let us know what you think Remember Sam Walton started his stores with the point of selling American goods at low prices, the kids took over and went to china I wonder how those two families, whose fathers/husbands died building SAMs club in Vacaville Two men working on one ladder 30' tall, completely against OSHA rules Just a short recap, you'd be happy to see one store in every town, a Super Walmart that has chased all competition away right?

• S KFebruary 10, 2014 - 7:27 am

Sounds to me like, Brian Runkle, must work for one of the local tire stores. Well I say if a business can't compete in this capitalistic society, screw them, like I got screwed by one of THOSE local tires stores, now no longer there, Winston Tire, whose store had opened in the same location twice. Upon their second opening, I asked, "Well you guys were here once before. How do I know you'll stay this time?" To where the sales associate proclaimed, "Oh we're staying this time." So I bought a set of tires for one of our vehicles, and the entire, "Lifetime repair, balancing, etc," package. Well TWO WEEKS LATER, they closed again. Thank-you one heck of a lot, local tire store. I will only buy my tires at Sears, knowing they'll probably be around through my lifetime (Near 65 now :-) )). But I would have considered WalMart due to someone's suggestion. I repeat to Suisun, if it is ever built, which I now do not see happening, do not let it get built without an AUTO CENTER, especially since there are no other tire centers nearby.

• CD BrooksFebruary 10, 2014 - 7:56 am

SA K don't get too comfortable with Sears. They are having financial problems like everyone else...

• CD BrooksFebruary 10, 2014 - 7:57 am

S K, sorry.

• S KFebruary 10, 2014 - 8:11 am

Yeah, I've heard that CD, but I'm confident, they'll work it out, especially their auto centers. Plus we all like their tools, right :-)???

• streetFebruary 10, 2014 - 8:02 am

The service center was not built due to the noises it would make to the surrounding neighborhood. They open early, and stay open late, and since it backs many houses, it was deleted from the store.

• JagFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:19 pm

Brian Free market you compete or you get out, I was about to purchase tires at Wal-Mart in November but Wheel Works was a little cheaper so other stores can compete

• S KFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:26 pm

Only that meant that you had to give Vacaville more of the business that ought to have been down here, and I for one am tired of giving Vacaville anymore of our business :-)