Letters to editor

Problems with ‘ugly prejudice’ letter

By From page A8 | March 10, 2014

Another outraged diatribe against people of faith appeared in this newspaper recently over what else but gay marriage:  “Ugly prejudice rises again in America.” (Letters to the editor, March 1.)

My understanding is that some business owners who are in the wedding industry don’t want to be forced to provide their services to gay couples. I’m not sure on what grounds a business has the right to refuse service to anyone, but I can’t understand why a gay couple would want someone who didn’t support gay marriage to provide any service for their wedding, especially not a service where that vendor would have to actually attend the wedding.

Maybe instead of suing the vendor, the couple could move on to another vendor who would be happy to take their money (we all know that most businesses only care about one’s ability to pay). Oh, but they couldn’t just do that according to the letter-writer because then that would lead to widespread discrimination against all kinds of people. Come on, really? I find it ironic that fear (one could be sued) and shame (calling someone a hateful homophobic bigot) are being used against people who don’t support gay marriage. It seems we’ve gotten to a suit-happy, name-calling place.

By the way, if one doesn’t support polygamy, is one a bigot?

The letter I read was written in an extremely inflammatory manner against people of faith. The irony was that the writer sounded so prejudiced against people of faith. Are the people who never miss a chance to bash “the Christians,” bigots? Recently I watched a YouTube video where Gene Simmons of KISS spoke out against anti-Christian bias in the media concerning Tim Tebow. Watch it if you have a chance. It’s really good. He ends by asking, “What country are we living in, anyway?”

I wonder the same thing.

Cindy Rico

Letter to the Editor

• MattMarch 10, 2014 - 4:48 am

Basically, Cindy is asking, "Why won't you tolerate my intolerance?"

• [email protected]March 10, 2014 - 5:27 am

Not exactly. It's more like, "can't we all just get along?" Though I do take issue with some of what she wrote that might reveal bigotry.

• [email protected]March 10, 2014 - 5:34 am

To answer Ms. Rico's question, no, if you don't support polygamy you are not a bigot because polygamy is illegal. If the question implies Ms. Rico sees some similarity between same-sex marriage and polygamy she should look inside herself to see whence that came.

• Mr. PracticalMarch 10, 2014 - 5:55 am

rlw, gay marriage was illegal until recently. Are you saying that those that supported Prop 8 didn't become bigots until the moment gay marriage became legal?

• Danny BuntinMarch 10, 2014 - 6:59 pm

The qualifications to get married were found to be unconstitutional. The idea of a same sex couple from out of country/state, and being married did not make them law breakers while in the state. I am splitting hairs, but the way you worded it I felt some clarity would help. Lets never confuse the law with right and wrong. If someone is agrees that a certain group should sit in the back of the bus when it is the law, they are still a b!got.

• Mr. PracticalMarch 10, 2014 - 7:07 pm

Danny, that was exactly my point. rlw seemed to imply that bigotry is based on the law. It's based on right or wrong, and to some extent, intent. If someone doesn't believe in gay marriage because of religious belief, I would hesitate calling them bigots. Misguided, maybe.

• ArtimusMarch 10, 2014 - 11:50 pm

While are a bigot according the definitions; a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, on religion, politics, or race that is including yourself.

• rlw895March 10, 2014 - 11:41 pm

Mr.P: When I say illegal, I mean validly illegal, and my point is that someone supporting a valid law in not being bigoted. Some day the SCOTUS will invalidate all laws prohibiting same-sex marriage. Those who hang on will be the bigots.

• Mr. PracticalMarch 11, 2014 - 5:28 am

rlw, someone supporting a valid law could absolutely be a bigot.

• rlw895March 11, 2014 - 7:52 am

True, but you can't prove it that way.

• CD BrooksMarch 10, 2014 - 6:12 am

Ms. Rico is oblivious to the fact I was speaking to a group of Conservatives wanting to place religion in front of the Constitution to make discrimination legal. In her zeal to protect religion, she missed the point and is naïve enough to believe that discrimination would end with gay citizens. I was asking people to stand up against the legislation, few did and this will be typical of anti gay responses.

• Teach5thMarch 10, 2014 - 7:01 am

Cindy - I hope you don't take offense at the reaction to your letter by a couple of frequent writers. Like many liberals, they're "tolerance" knows only one way of thinking. They throw words like "bigot" and "racist" around because they have nothing else in their arsenal to use. Obama was against gay marriage until just recently, but let's not go there because then they'd have to admit their "savior" was worthy of being called a bigot also. I'd be interested to find out if CD or RLW believe in a higher power, other than the government. My guess is they don't; that's why anything goes in their little worlds except, of course, a differing opinion.

• CD BrooksMarch 10, 2014 - 7:22 am

Teach5th, if you support legislation that promotes legal discrimination of any sort you are part of a much bigger problem While you're calling me out look inward. A teacher and a mother? Right.

• Salty DogMarch 10, 2014 - 7:29 am

Teach: you are correct about CD he has stated that he is an atheist so he has no tolerance for Christans.

• CD BrooksMarch 10, 2014 - 7:47 am

Salty Dog, that's a lie. I don't tolerate the religious hypocrisy that you and so many others practice so well. Get to class, you’ll miss roll call.

• MattMarch 10, 2014 - 8:35 pm

Salty Dog - Are you saying because someone is an atheist that automatically means they have no tolerance for Christians?

• Danny BuntinMarch 10, 2014 - 11:47 pm

@Teach: I think it is funny, that you judge a person based on them not believing in your God. 'knock knock' Who's there? Its me, Jesus, Let me in! why? I want to save you. from what? From what I'll do to you if you don't let me in.

• ArtimusMarch 11, 2014 - 12:17 am

Danny - Really funny? That is falsely analogy of your story. Knock, who is you there? Jesus was knocking on the door, if they refuse him, they would not be knocking on the front door. Really funny that is the whole just of statement. Save what? You know my sins.

• Danny BuntinMarch 11, 2014 - 9:39 pm

@Artimus: I was not trying to make a analogy. Just added it as a little joke. Formatting got all screwed up after hitting the submit button, so I can see how you might think they were connected.

• CD BrooksMarch 11, 2014 - 7:22 am

Danny, they come in here drop a load and then they disappear. Good solid Christian behavior. If I discover that this alleged teacher is teaching my grand kids I will talk to my son about having them relocated. They are all ready way smarter than she is! ;).

• DanielMarch 10, 2014 - 7:44 am

Libs have mastered the technique of creating and parroting outlandish stereotyping of anyone that they doesn't swallow their political ajenda hole-line-and-sinker. If you don't want to volunteer to be a participant (such as catering)in a so-called marriage by 2 people of the same gender, they paint you as a bigot. This would be like asking a staunch lib to cater a GOP political function helping a candidate beat their own Demo candidate. For libs, their shallow world consists of politics only, this would violate all of their contrived prinicpals.

• CD BrooksMarch 10, 2014 - 7:54 am

Daniel, Ms. Rico opened the flood gates. I will let you all have the day. It's going to be fun watching you all expose yourselves while challenging me and totally missing the point. Typical and sad really but that's what myopia and hypocrisy bring along with them.

• Kene WinstonMarch 10, 2014 - 1:42 pm

its what you make of it, I guess. Readers have the freedom to misinterpret anything they read. Don't help the enemy.

• CD BrooksMarch 10, 2014 - 3:37 pm

Let me say this like a third grader might understand it. That way, Salty Dog can keep up. You may worship as you please but you may not demand the forfeiture and abuse of human and/or civil rights. Surely the most deeply committed among you must understand that? If you’re going to insist that your alleged god says it’s okay then I would suggest you do like that other idi*t and build a big effing boat!

• LilMarch 11, 2014 - 12:15 am

Where would it end if people were allowed to use religion to not deal with gays? What happens if you run a hotel and a gay couple wanted a single room? You won't give them the room because it is against your beliefs? Hmm, wasn't somebody turned away from an inn before? Oh, yeah, Mary and Joseph.