Letters to editor

Problem with DR online system

By From page A8 | September 08, 2013

Whomever is responsible for the online site needs to make sure that it works, has enough servers, whatever to work properly.

I’m getting dang tired of it not working, or having to wait and wait and wait, as the screen says, “waiting.”

Steve Karsten

Suisun City

Letter to the Editor

• The MisterSeptember 08, 2013 - 8:41 am

And of comments not posting. I mean really??? The story was about "hom*sexuality" and I cannot use the word "hom*sexuality" in my comment? Puh-leeze

• Glen FaisonSeptember 08, 2013 - 12:22 pm

@The Mister: Early on, after we launched the revised website more than two years ago and the accompanying commenting features, many commenters who would use profanity and resort to name-calling to make their point. That violates our terms of use. We put moderation holds on those words that were used most. There are limits to the filter's functionality, so our attempt to block the use of the term "homo," often used in a way that violates our terms of use, also catches "homosexuality." This response will be caught in our moderation hold and I will have to clear it manually in order to have the response visible to you and others on the site. We monitor the comments off and on during the day, but it's not a constant thing. If you have a comment that's flagged for moderation, and you believe it is not a violation of our terms of use, send an email to me at [email protected] and to Brad Stanhope at [email protected] Between the two of us, we should be able to screen the comment pretty quickly.

• LilSeptember 08, 2013 - 5:23 pm

Or he could just use the word "gay" instead. Usually people who insist on using the h-word want to use it in a derogatory manner.

• Jason KnowlesSeptember 08, 2013 - 9:47 am

The problem I have is that, I can access it just fine on my iPad. When I use my iPhone, it asks me to log in and it freezes my browser. Glenn Faison, any reason for that? Both are using the same browser (Safari).

• Glen FaisonSeptember 08, 2013 - 12:07 pm

@Jason Knowles: We just started testing a feature that's specific to mobile, to see how it works, and what advantages and disadvantages it presents. That's what you're seeing on your iPhone. Right now it's clunky, but our tech guys are working on it. The same feature crashed by iPhone Safari browser when I first tried to use it. Now it slows it down -- most of the time anyway -- but my browser has yet to crash again(I use my iPhone to check on the sight with some degree of regularity). We'll get it working, and if we don't, we'll scrap it and try something else.

• Jason KnowlesSeptember 08, 2013 - 1:04 pm

Cool. Thanks for your reply!

• rlw895September 08, 2013 - 6:13 pm

My biggest complaint is the lack of deep nesting of comments. It's hard to tell who is replying to whom.