Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Owner needs to take responsibility

By From page A7 | July 17, 2014

My dog Zak was in the garage June 28 with his head out the window. My neighbor’s girlfriend was walking three dogs down to the mailbox. I’m unclear as to what exactly happened, but one of the dogs attacked my dog. My son called me at work and told me a chunk of skin was missing under Zak’s left eye and his mouth was ripped opened. My son said he could see the bone under the dog’s left eye.

I called the vet and made an appointment to get him in ASAP.

Before taking Zak to the vet, I confronted my neighbor. He claimed it wasn’t his dog and didn’t see anything since he was out. I had found the collar of one of his dog, with a bungee cord wrapped around the collar, in the driveway.

I called the Sheriff’s Office, and was told animal control doesn’t work on weekends. I talked to an officer and told him that neighbor came over and admitted it was his dog, and also that it was his girlfriend who had walked the dogs that day. Animal control said they would come out that day, but I was not available. He came June 30 instead and the neighbor was gone.

The neighbor called him back and told the officer that it was a Great Pyrenees that had been hanging around here. That dog had not been in this area for months, and it was not that type of dog to begin with. Since then, animal control basically washed its hands of all of this, (in his words) “nobody saw anything.” The only thing is, he never talked to the neighbor’s girlfriend.

Zak’s vet bill came to $441. The neighbor’s dog came onto my property and attacked my dog. I am beside myself. All I truly want is for the neighbor to pay for Zak’s vet bill. It only makes sense for him to take responsibility.

Marti Wright

Birds Landing

Letter to the Editor

• boomJuly 14, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Pet insurance is a reality, and it is fairly cheap.

• MarkJuly 17, 2014 - 4:00 am

Small claims court.

• S KJuly 17, 2014 - 7:56 am

Cheap at the start, but jumps way up as your dog reaches a certain age. Marti definitely needs to sue the neighbor in small claims court, or better yet, take it to JUDGE JUDY, who will embarrass the heck out of the defendant on the world stage, and sue for more than just the VET bill, her dog's, pain & suffering should be worth MUCH MUCH more, plus any inconvenience to Marti.

• 2realJuly 17, 2014 - 6:08 am

We will get to the bottom of it!

• clancyJuly 17, 2014 - 8:36 am

Animal control is basically useless .

• mikeJuly 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

Be civil about it. Take a copy of the bill and hand it to the girlfriend and ask if they could be good neighbours and pay some of the cost. And then don't put your dog in that circumstances again.