Letters to editor

Must we suspend our common sense?

By From page A11 | March 12, 2014

Lois Lerner, former official head of the Internal Revenue Service and who is at the heart of the controversy of its targeting of conservative groups, once again took the Fifth when asked any question by the House Oversight Committee. During her very first appearance before them, she read a prepared statement in which she proclaimed her innocence and then invoked her Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate herself.

Let’s look at this in another way: If your child was accused of doing something that you, as a parent, would find an abuse of your rules of behavior, how you would feel if your child told you, “I didn’t do it and I will not answer any of your questions?” If you were CEO of an organization and an employee did the same, how would you deal with the situation?

We know that in a trial a judge will admonish the jury not to infer guilt on a person who refuses to answer questions or did not take the stand in his or her defense. I only know if it were me, I would be “chomping at the bit” to take the stand and tell the truth.

I know we should keep an open mind in this matter, however if Lois Lerner is found to be lying, she should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Rod Keck

Letter to the Editor

• Tax PayerMarch 12, 2014 - 5:35 am

Not if she got her direction from Obama. I am sure he has insulated himself well enough. But in todays phone and other coorespondence should be available. He is a fairly sharp cat however, probably all gone by now.

• Teach5thMarch 12, 2014 - 7:12 am

Don't you remember Bill O'Reillys interview with the president on Super Bowl Sunday? Before the investigation is even over, Obama stated " there isn't a smidgen of scandal (regarding the IRS.). And we know he ALWAYS tells the truth (unless his lips are moving).

• rlw895March 12, 2014 - 9:51 am

Must we suspend our common sense to read this letter? If you are ever compelled to appear before congress while simultaneously undergoing a criminal investigation on the same subject, I certainly hope you too would refuse to answer any questions. No attorney worth his salt would advise otherwise. So my common sense tells me this letter is no more than an unreasoned jab at Obama such as we have come to expect from Rod. Bring something good, Rod, and I will be with you. Stop treating us like fools! Or is it you really can't come up with anything better?

• patrickMarch 12, 2014 - 4:12 pm

Lois Learner is on my payroll and I would fire her in a New York second if I was her immediate supervisor. I guess that would be Obama's job. by the way-- who is rod?

• Danny BuntinMarch 12, 2014 - 5:37 pm

"Who is Rod?" Author of the letter.

• patrickMarch 12, 2014 - 5:54 pm