Thursday, July 31, 2014

‘Lewd acts’ article didn’t tell whole story

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | May 22, 2014 |

I was appalled to see the article “Fairfield man acquitted of lewd acts offense on a child” (March 7).

The defense attorney for Douglas Talley provided partial information, giving a misleading story. She stated, “He was falsely accused by his ex-wife who conspired with (the alleged victim).” Why would two people opt to feel embarrassment and pain for nearly three years as a result of his actions? Why would the Daily Republic find that article newsworthy and print it before knowing all facts? Might I suggest for future articles, the complete story be printed.

Sentencing on his conviction for another charge was April 5. The presiding judge told the victim she believed her testimony was credible and told Mr. Talley she felt his account not so credible. Mr. Talley will serve 45 days in jail, approximately seven months of weekly counseling for the charges made against him, three years of  probation and approximately $1,500 in court fines for the charge of assault and repayment to the county.

Please Daily Republic, print all the facts.

Laurie Hargis

Vacaville

Letter to the Editor

• Chester HalloranMay 22, 2014 - 6:26 am

Sounds like the man was victimized here.

• DaveMay 23, 2014 - 8:21 pm

Sounds like you dont know the facts Chester he was convicted of assault on a child what man would defend him after found guilty of assault on a child oh thats right pedophiles defend pedophiles

• General Fadi BasemMay 23, 2014 - 8:47 pm

I don't have a dog in this fight but....Dave your comment reads like you are accusing Chester of something terrible. When are you going to come forward with your story to the investigators?

• CaullieMay 22, 2014 - 10:01 am

I think it's hilarious how the ex-wife's mother is piping up now. If the ex-wife and her daughter were so "dismayed and affected by his actions" then WHY do they feel the need to sit RIGHT BEHIND HIM at public functions - like his daughter's softball games - by choice? Consistently? And Mr. Talley moves away to avoid even being NEAR them? Why even bring "the alleged victim" to places where they know he is going to be? I think it's a bunch of made-up "pity me" sob story that got blown out of proportion. Face it, TWELVE PEOPLE IN A JURY said NOT GUILTY. Let it be known, Mr. Talley is not a creep like you twisted people like to make him out to be.

• SueMay 22, 2014 - 12:06 pm

I don't find any humor in a child being sexually abused. I'm relieved that the victim was brave enough to speak up and tell an adult. Otherwise, sexual abuse to this minor could have gone on for years. 12 jurors found him guilty. He was sentenced to jail time, counseling, and probation. The victim has a younger sibling so it's reasonable for the victim's mother and family members to attend her sister's events. They are their to support her. She didn't commit a crime and shouldn't be punished. She wants her mom and grandmother to attend her softball games, as well as her father and his family.

• RobertMay 23, 2014 - 12:30 pm

Frank - you need a lesson on grammar or spell check. Bill Jones - why would a juror be talking to a defendant after a case or period unless he knew him? That sounds fishy and perhaps why the defendant got only an assault charge - it only takes one juror not to agree for them to have to agree on a lesser charge. That could be grounds for a re-trial I'd think. It looks as though some kind of justice was done here and the defendant and his family (obviously his family by all the hate and slander towards the mother and victim) are extremely bitter. It's disgusting to me to see how you people are talking about the victim. I read the article from 3/7 where it says the defendant brushed up against the girl while watching TV - how is that even possible? And in such a way that made the girl upset, uncomfortable, tell her mother, the police, the district atty - who brought several charges and a trial against him? As a man I think his story is outlandish and he should be happy he only got an assault charge. He messed up and obviously refuses to own up to it. He was charged, sentenced (which I don't know many that go to jail for "pushing someone" so I guess what the judge thinks DOES matter since she gave him jail time) and now needs to stop crying about it and move on. Leave the victim and family alone - it only makes you look more stupid that your story of it being "accidental".

• Bob JMay 23, 2014 - 12:41 pm

Well said Robert. One of my favorite quotes "When you can't debate, resort to personal attacks." Doug Talley's supporters (family) lost their credibility when they resorted to personal attacks instead of sticking to the case.

• BrianMay 23, 2014 - 12:43 pm

Whoa on all the comments.. Frank - OPINIONS are like A$$holes and EVERYONE has one.. what happened in a courtroom is FACT and there is no OPINION that can change or clear that.

• Mom of 3May 23, 2014 - 1:43 pm

As a mother of teen daughters and a son I find it scary that Bearer of the Harsh Truth - I assume a Talley family member - thinks that a kid making a fake facebook page is legitimate grounds for it to be ok that a grown man assaulted a girl. I too read the 3/7 article and if my daughter came to me and said that he "brushed up against her" (which must mean something with his genitalia having touched her or been exposed to her) while laying down I would react the exact same way. Even scarier is that you support him in this AND he has another younger daughter from what the comments appeared. What excuse will you use for him when he "brushes up against" her too? I would never find it excusable for my son to have done this yet alone attack what was obviously a little girl who was once in my family and his step-daughter. Maybe this family has a history of sexual abusers since it is found that abusers were usually once abused themselves. All the comments from what appears to be the Talley Family are quite disturbing, uncalled for, disgusting, disgraceful and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. I have no idea who either family is but my heart goes out to the young lady and her mother that had to stand up and fight for justice. What a pathetic family the Talleys are for even having the nerve to let the article on 3/7 be printed let alone replying with such awful comments on the above letter. I read these all the time and never comment but on this one I had to. Tisk tisk at you all for what you are commenting about a victim and her family.

Laurie

• Laurie HargisMay 22, 2014 - 11:02 am

In reference to the comment "ex-wife's mother just now piping up" it took the Daily Republic from April 8 until yesterday to verify court transcripts as fact, and print the letter received. As far as sitting near "Him" at his daughters softball games, key word here is "DAUGHTER", she has MORE THAN ONE PARENT. Why Mr Talley moves away to avoid even being near them? Court ordered he stay a certain distance from them. As far as hilarious, I hope you and your family never have to go through this kind of ordeal. No one wins.

• LauraMay 22, 2014 - 11:42 am

I applaud the victim. She was brave enough to speak up and tell an adult what had happened. If not for her bravery, the sexual abuse could have continued for years. I too hope that people like Caullie and her family never have to go through what this minor child and her mother had to endure.

• SueMay 22, 2014 - 11:57 am

The reporter should do a better job of posting the facts. Doug Talley was found guilty and sentenced as such. Check out www.solanocourts.com for court documents.

• Jessika RyanMay 22, 2014 - 11:36 am

Twelve people found Mr. Talley guilty of assault. No they did not find him guilty of the original charge brought against him which was Lewd Acts With A Minor if you read the law written behind that charge it reads that party would have had to set out, or pre-meditate to cause harm. The jury did however feel that even though it was not a planned attack Mr. Talley did have ill intent and did commit a crime just not a pre-mediated crime. He was found guilty of the lessor charge: Simple Assault; again I urge you to read this definition as well. The issue of the ex-wife’s mother writing to the newspaper was not to further slander Mr. Talley as the original article did to the ex-wife and the victim when both the lawyer and reporter did not have all the facts but just as in the court of law – tell the other side of the story. Each party will have countless amounts of friends and family that will make comments on behalf of each of them true or false. However the facts are the facts. The ex-wife and victim stood up, spoke out and fought for what they believed was right. This story is actually a learning experience for young girls who are victimized daily to be brave and speak up no matter how close the person is to you. If this story would have ended with a true not guilty verdict where he got off of ALL charges then we would have a completely different ending about a girl who called wolf but that’s not the case in this story. As far as the ex-wife and victim attending the same functions the ex-wife and victim are the mother and sister of the accused daughter. Why would they not attend the event? Both parties will continue to be in contact and attend events for many years to come as they have no choice and have to be parents to the child they share. Mr. Talley moves because he is ordered to stay at least 100 yards away. I believe good for the victim to hold her head up, understand justice was served, not let it impede her life, and not avoid situations that are normal for her. What a strong young lady!

• SueMay 22, 2014 - 11:48 am

The newspaper reporter should have done a better job of reporting. Doug Talley is not innocent. He was found guilty and sentenced. Period. Check out the court records. http://courtconnect.solano.courts.ca.gov/courtconnect/ck_public_qry_doct.cp_dktrpt_frames?backto=P&case_id=FCR295504&begin_date=&end_date=

• Brandon KoenigMay 22, 2014 - 12:17 pm

I read the original article. It does look one-sided but I have an opinion to offer. I've been accused of it myself (1996, Vermont). Knowing you're innocent and proving it are two different things. I'm sorry for the girl and her family, but I hope the assault conviction eases your minds.

• LarryMay 22, 2014 - 1:05 pm

Brandon, I'm sorry you were accused of something you didn't do, but that doesn't make this victim's story any less credible. What did help and ease the mind of the victim and her mother was when the judged told her, "I find your testimony credible" and then turn to Doug Talley and said "I find your testimony not so credible." The judge then proceeded to sentence him to jail, probation, counseling and a fine

• The bearer of harsh truthMay 22, 2014 - 4:38 pm

For those of you who would like to hear some "truth" about this situation, allow me to enlighten you. Doug Talley was FALSELY accused of "lewd acts" and was therefor found NOT guilty. You have to have REAL evidence to prove the case. Doug never denied the fact the an "accident" happened, he denied the outrageous story concocted by the child and/or her mother! Try this truth...reenact the motion of the child's arm as she explained it and see if yours will bend that way! Mine will not. To go even further with the truth, this whole "telling of the molestation" was brought on by the fact that her mother pawned her pre-teen daughter off on her biological father, AGAIN! "Mom" wanted to go "out" and when the child got upset because her own father did not want her around that day and she was to be taken to Doug, she screamed out for attention by telling this story. I knew the child and she is NOT the most honest I have encountered. How did I come to this conclusion or dare I say Truth?? Might have something to do with the person she became on Facebook when she was about 11 years old.....an 18 or was it 20 year old girl with a full bio to go with it! OH and the FACT that when asked by Doug's attorney in Court, this was not remembered by Mom or daughter, COME ON! Laurie, if you want the whole truth out there, I know quite a few people who would be MORE THAN WILLING to accommodate your request. Be careful what you ask for! Doug was found guilty of the ONLY thing he truly did and that was knowing that this situation scared the child and not talking to her about it. He was found guilty of assault, which was the child's FEAR! AND, unlike you, Laurie I will NOT openly post the name of the child or the mother. Shame on you for dragging us all through YOUR mud again!

• sue s.May 22, 2014 - 6:16 pm

it seems to me that the republic likes egging on a very sensitive issue just for ratings. if they really wanted to print the news, they should have gotten the whole story first instead of printing a partial story. this poor girl has had to live through this over and over. through no fault of her own, her family has been torn apart and will never be whole again. at least she has the satisfaction of knowing that the judge did believe her.

• CaullieMay 22, 2014 - 9:13 pm

No, sue, face it, laurie opened a can of worms she was not prepared for. The mom is a trashy coke addict. Her younger daughter doesn't even like her, doesn't want to call her, doesn't want to live with her, just wants to see her "sometimes" because she loves her mom even though she is a piece of work.. Doug is a proud father and treated the alleges victim as his own child and gave her the compassion both bio parents lacked. The kid shows her thanks by starting a rumor and dragged the Talley family through HELL. Now she wants to cry justice over a silly newspaper article. Get over yourselves!

• Bob JMay 23, 2014 - 12:16 pm

Seems to me the truth is, Doug Talley was found guilty and sentenced. Period.

• DaveMay 23, 2014 - 8:08 pm

The assault was him forcing her hand down his pants and making her scared to talk about it all pedophiles have an excuse that was all in his plan the TRUTH IS KARMA IS COMING 10 FOLD!

• Bill JonesMay 22, 2014 - 4:39 pm

The fact of the matter is the BS was beat. Lets no forget to mention the fact that the mother of the "victim" was arrested for drugs, the vitim herself has been caught online with grown men while acting like she was 18 at the age of 11, and the fact that this whole ambush was caused due to the fact that money was cut off to the mother and the two of them had two years to plan out a story before the jury. Lets also mention how the "victim" went from fake crying on the stand to laughing and joking with her friend in the hallway not even a minute later (which was noted by one of the jurors to the defendant after the case). The case should have never went to trial. They tried, they failed, and the DA cried enough to get the lessor of the lessor (simple assault. Which is like pushing someone and them pressing charges). Doesn't matter what the judge thinks. The jury of 12 spoke. NOT GUILTY! What needs to happen now is the ambushees and their family needs to move on and carry on with their lives. There's already enough issues within that family. Let the man with great success live his life. Stop the whining. He beat your BS. Next!!!!

• DaveMay 23, 2014 - 2:20 pm

Truth is this sick mother f***** got away with lewd acts with a minor cause he knew someone on the jury karma will do what justice hasnt he may think he got away with it but karma always comes back 10 fold and noone forgets a pedophile i hope the gaurds are nice enough to tell the other inmates what he is in for!

• FrankMay 22, 2014 - 8:29 pm

Hmm so when does a conviction of battery mean youe guilty of lewd acts on a child? I find it interesting that you find it as your obligation to stepout from the back round and speak. Were you there when said act occured? Or are you going off of what was said by what seems to me to be a very troubled young lady begging foe attention. Ornits quite possible that she is following moms lead. Have been around the mother on multiple occasions. And my honest opinion is she os just lookinh for a good time and not doing her job as a parent. On 3 occasions I was at fucntions accross the street from Doug and said mothers home. Everytime she would stay while Doug would ask her to come home cause it was late and kids needed to get to bed. And I would watch as tbe said mother would become hostile even violent towards Doug so she could stay and party. I am in no way bashing her JUST STATING FACTS. If he was a child molester whybwould said mother allow the child to be alone with him. Hmmm and only when the cash cow stopped producing milk did these allegations come to light. I dont believe in coinsidence. Just my HONEST OPINION. MAYBE YOU SHOULD SPEND MORE TIME WITH YOUR TROUBLED GRANDDAUGHTER THEN BASHIM G PEOPLE WENCH

• DaveMay 23, 2014 - 8:03 pm

Facts are facts and the judge believed her not him he thinks he got away with it but karma never forgets! Anyone who defends a pedophile is a pedophile and i have no doubt he will be a repeat offender he is a demented individual that gained a child's trust than tries to MOLEST her and then had the aaudacity to call the victom a liar and drag her through 3yrs of pain and suffering wich that will be a civil suit, the dirtbag Doug is the a pedophile thats the fact.

• RebeccaMay 23, 2014 - 11:05 am

What a sad situation to see family members under fake names tearing each other part .. I hope you all get some healing and move on from this situation.

Cities dealing with state drought rules

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Muralist helps locals ready for some painted wall history

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

It’s ‘camping for 30′ at the Solano fair

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Richardson to run for Fairfield-Suisun school board

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Highway 12 crash sends 2 to hospital

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Fairfield man back in court after sixth arrest

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A4

Police release name of Vallejo homicide victim

By Glen Faison | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Mall to host Ultimate Army Throw Down

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Price will seek re-election as Fairfield mayor

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Fairfield police log: July 29, 2014

Suisun City police log: July 29, 2014

Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola as 2 isolated

Pipe break that flooded UCLA dumps 20M gallons

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

AP Analysis: Amid war, endgames in Gaza emerge

2 women survive ordeal along Indiana rail bridge

Ex-IRS official called conservatives ‘crazies

Dissent quieted with most Israelis behind Gaza war

Deadly Israeli strikes hit UN school, market area

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Obama takes tougher line against Gaza casualties

Suing Obama: GOP-led House gives the go-ahead

Congress cooperates – and fights – as recess nears

Powell maybe not told early about CIA techniques

Crews work to keep Yosemite fire from sequoias

Sanctions will damage Russia if not lifted quickly

Clashes prevent experts from reaching bodies

Why ‘compassionate conservatism’ is still dead

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A11

What happened to the US?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 9 Comments

Community Calendar: July 31, 2014

I want to change my daughters last name to my maiden name

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Greg Ives to crew chief Earnhardt in 2015

Pipe break that flooded UCLA dumps 20M gallons

Steelers to retire Hall of Famer Greene’s No. 75

Fairfield-Suisun 6U Bobby Sox win titles

Usain Bolt in controversy at Commonwealth Games

Indians trade pitcher Masterson to Cardinals

Riley speaks out, insists Heat will be competitive

Nadal out of 2 tournaments because of right wrist

A more vigorous US economy appears to be emerging

US judge slaps $1.3B fine on Bank of America

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

Overhaul approved for troubled California refinery

Judge says Crystal CEO should testify in lawsuit