Saturday, August 30, 2014

Is it fair and balanced?

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A11 | May 28, 2014 |

Fox News takes a beating among liberal readers of the Daily Republic. Those folks delight in belittling Fox News as biased and unreliable. When challenged to cite a specific untruth from Fox, in context and never corrected, Foxophobes change the subject.

Is Fox the only source that might be questioned? Some relationships that are generally ignored by national news media are:

• CBS News President is David Rhodes. His brother Ben Rhodes is deputy national security adviser to President Obama.
  • ABC President Ben Sherwood’s sister is Elizabeth Sherwood Randall, national security adviser to President Obama.
  • ABC News Senior National Correspondent Claire Shipman is married to Jay Carney, White House press secretary.
  • NBC Senior Political Editor Mark Murray is married to Sasha Johnson, former CNN producer and Obama appointee to FAA chief of staff.
  • CNN’s Vice President and Deputy White House Bureau Chief Virginia Nosely is married to Tom Nides, until recently Hillary Clinton’s deputy secretary of state.
  • NPR White House correspondent Ari Shapiro is married to Michael Gottlieb, White House Counsel’s office.

This list is not all-inclusive and does not include anyone else who may be partying with, dating or playing footsie with whomever.

Could nepotism-based bias creep into media coverage of the Obama administration? Ben Rhodes’s fingerprints are all over the Benghazi talking points debacle but brother David made CBS look the other way and in the process ran off 20-year veteran Sharyl Attkisson, who came too close to the truth. NBC’s Mark Murray vigorously downplayed the IRS scandal. Is there any connection to his wife’s pending appointment in the administration?

Attackers of Fox News will undoubtedly continue to attack Fox and will lap up whatever “news” is presented by the rest of the news media. Discerning citizens, however, should be cautious in accepting anything offered by the other “news” sources.

Franklin Crutchfield

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• Rich GiddensMay 19, 2014 - 6:36 pm

If Fox News is so horrible, then why are a clear majority of viewers watching it? Is the tyrant traitor Obama holding a gun to the collective heads of all the nation's viewing audience and literally forcing them to watch MSNBC or something? Enough! CNN, Al Jazerra and MSNBC's viewer ratings are in the commode along with Komrade Kirchebel's credibility! If he and the rest of the naysayers don't like it, they can lump it.

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 7:40 am

I assume people watch Fox News because they find it entertaining.

• Russell V KinzMay 20, 2014 - 11:06 am

Awww, all of these folks are as clean and pure as the driven snow. No biasis here. (I know, I didn't spell that right)

• CD BrooksMay 20, 2014 - 12:16 pm

FDC, " When challenged to cite a specific untruth from Fox, in context and never corrected, Foxophobes change the subject." That is an unmitigated lie! I have presented numerous facts against the FOX editing machine in context over the years here and you as well as other FOX-hounds ignored them without so much as checking their validity. When I challenged you to at least make an effort, you bailed. You ALWAYS run leaving nothing to substantiate anything you write, period. What a load of crap this letter is!

• Larry williamsMay 27, 2014 - 6:03 am

CD. Everyone in the media has a bias. My concern is when they have an agenda and because of this they do not report the news. It bothers me and it should you when the press does not go after all both party's abuse of power. The press was all over a New Jersey bridge closing but the same group did not seem to have the same outrage over the use of the IRS to attack opponents. I can guarantee you that if Bush would have used the IRS in this fashion they would want blood. So, while Fox is way more conservative than the other outlets we should ALL want for them to seek truth no matter who is in power.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 7:55 am

Mr. Williams, granted "journalistic integrity" has pretty much gone south. I have written about bogus reports and editing for years along with other clear thinking commenters here and there simply is no argument. Funny how nearly 99.9% of those bogus claims come from Conservative sources. Just like Daniel stating "without FOX" we'd have this and that. BS! I don't watch or listen to FOX or MSNBC and there is so many other sources for quality information, why would I? You should ask yourself the same question.

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:16 am

CD: It's certainly true that when FOX reports something it's a big deal, because FOX has such a large and obedient audience. That doesn't make the story true or honestly presented. It would be interesting to research the origin of stories on FOX. Certainly anyone with a crackpot anti-Obama story would try to get it on FOX. They must have to throw a lot out. But let's look specifically at the VA "scandal." Did FOX really dig that story up?

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 8:37 am

rlw895, I can remember poor treatment for Vets way back in the 70's when a friend was diagnosed with a pulled muscle when he had actually broken his neck in a fall! The stories grew worse and all these years later, still an issue. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "scandal" but it certainly reeks of some piss poor care strategy. I don't honestly believe that Vets really get proper treatment, but that's just my opinion.

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:49 am

I took a couple of seconds to Google it, and it was CNN that broke the VA story.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 9:00 am

“Balancer,” really Sir MUST you keep adding aliases? I will stand on my 100% accuracy rate on every post I’ve ever countered a false claim by any FOX/Conservative source. I gave you back 1% just to keep you happy. You cannot argue my success. You know why? Because you NEVER have. That’s because you’d have to do the work and have chosen not to. Get it? Got it? Good!

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 9:06 am

Furthermore "balancer," if you DID do the work you'd recognize I was right and you were wrong .And we don't want that do we?! ;)

• BalancerMay 27, 2014 - 11:13 am

There you go again, CD. When challenged to provide facts to support your cheap shots you respond by puffing out your chest, balling up your fists on your waist, and roaring "I'm right and you are wrong and don't question me!!!!" You have utterly failed to provide one whit of fact, and that's a fact, Jack. Keep on roaring, CD, you amuse me, sort of.

• mike kirchubelMay 27, 2014 - 11:28 am

Baly, the facts have been presented here many many times. Some people refuse to acknowledge the truth and double down on their beliefs. I believe CD is tired of playing that game again. Feel free to read any of my columns to provide you with your background information. It's all there for you.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 11:52 am

"Balancer," there you go again denying the thousands of words where I've consistently presented the facts on these boards. Why would I have to do it again? Prove positive you are incapable of grasping simple and concise information let alone telling the truth. You do know that even though you're using an alias you're still accountable for "fibber-ing" right?

• Larry williamsMay 27, 2014 - 9:10 am

Hi CD. I just wanted to let you know that I have watched Fox News under 2 hours in the past year. That being said I won't be looking at media matters to find out what is going on in our country and the world. I just want for all the news to be reported and not just one side. I do, however watch a lot of Giants baseball.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 9:32 am

Mr. Williams, I'm sorry you watch the Giants. The news is objective and accurate, but you'll never find that on the two most common quoted (FOX/MSNBC) networks. When we lost Tim Russert , we lost probably one of the best political minds of this era in my opinion. Journalism collectively however, that's a different story.

• Larry williamsMay 27, 2014 - 10:24 am

Mr Brooks. Don't feel sorrynabout the Giants. They are doing well and it gives me a break from what I have to do at work. Tim Russert did seem to be able to separate his political views from his reporting and it is too bad that we lost him so soon.

• rlw895May 20, 2014 - 12:18 pm

I don't know, but if you want to find out, wouldn't you start out by Googling something like "Fox News lies?" Try it then get back to us if you come up dry.

• ? What combination are U, U rlw U ?May 20, 2014 - 12:34 pm

Google...The Era Of Chimeras: Scientists Fearlessly Create Bizarre Human/Animal Hybrids by Michael Snyder | May 20, 2014..........

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 7:43 am

Anybody else?

• rlw895May 25, 2014 - 12:04 am

Nobody? Going once...

• rlw895May 26, 2014 - 12:26 am

Going twice...

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 4:05 pm

SOLD! Fox News DOES lie. Your silence means consent.

• Mr. SmithMay 27, 2014 - 4:16 pm

Rlw: Not so fast. One can Google CBS News or most likely any other news outlet along with the prefix "lies told by" and come up with "proof" that those sources tell lies.

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:05 pm

That wasn't fast at all. You had plenty of time. I'm sure what you say is true. So what? Did you Google "Fox News lies" and come up dry? That was the question, and you're still being silent on it. Qui tacet consentire videtur.

• Mr. SmithMay 27, 2014 - 8:27 pm

Rlw: Sorry I was late to the party, and by the way your question was not put to me, but to another person on this board. However, I can tell from your reaction to my post that I hit a nerve. And anyone (with an open mind) who is following this thread can see that your point has been completely neutralized by my counterpoint. FYI--I looked this up a long time ago--like after the first time you or Kirchubull issued the challenge of Googling "Fox Lies." Osay, uyay ancay isskay imay "unay uya ahtway":>)

• Mr. SmithMay 27, 2014 - 8:32 pm

Rlw: Our latest posts crossed the wire at about the same time. I retract my pig-Latin challenge!

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 9:26 pm

Mr.S: My post was a comment on FDC's letter and therefor open to anyone. He said "When challenged to cite a specific untruth from Fox, in context and never corrected, Foxophobes change the subject." I was responding to that. The "challenge" is not really more that FDC's fantasy. He wishes it were true, and he thinks that if he writes a letter to the newspaper about it, people will believe it's true, I guess. It's no challenge, thanks to the Internet. It's no doubt true that many news outlets put out stories that aren't true. But they are only lies if there is an intention to deceive. That's harder to tell, and as I've said many times before on these pages, people us the term "lie" too loosely. Simply being untrue is not enough. All I was asking for was someone to say they didn't find any lies issued by Fox when they Googled for it. That was my challenge back to FDC, but I invited anyone to join in. Still silence.

• Mr. SmithMay 27, 2014 - 9:57 pm

Rlw: It all boils down to your acid test--namely the "intention to deceive." I will await your proof that Fox News intentionally deceives the public and therefore lies. Do you mean to imply that other networks merely mis-state things from time to time and therefore are not guilty of "lying?" Or to look at it another way, if all networks intentionally deceive us from time to time, why single out Fox News? And by the way, the correct phrase would have ended with "uyay onay ahtwhay." My bad. I made a C- in Latin:>)

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 12:52 am

I only concluded Fox News must lie because no one could check out "fox news lies" and deny it. Other than that, I don't know, as I said at the beginning. But if you want to dig into it, I'm game.

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 7:08 am

Rlw: I'm lettin' it lie.

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 8:47 am

That's the safe approach. I'm game for that too. But note the silence.

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 9:05 am

I choose silence at this point simply because there is no more new ground to be plowed here. We proved beyond any doubt that ALL or nearly all news outlets can be ACCUSED of lying by someone. Big deal. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Next!

• Danny BuntinMay 28, 2014 - 10:13 am

You choose silence because it is a losing battle to try and defend foxnews. Just be honest.

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 10:37 am

What? And become the only honest person on this board? No thanks. One must fight fire with fire, Danny.

• Danny BuntinMay 28, 2014 - 10:54 am

My keyboard is worn out from detailing Foxnews lack of a smidgen of integrity. From getting talking points, to "some people say", to fighting in court to justify not telling the truth.

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 10:55 am

Mr.S: As if that needed "proof!" ;-)

• mike kirchubelMay 28, 2014 - 11:47 am

Whoa up there Mr. S,, by saying that all news outlets lie so they're all the same is really out there in fairy tale land. You've got to admit that KTVU's mistaken reporting of the Asiana airline pilots names is quite different from fox's consistant and coordinated lies are two different things. I call false equivalence.

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 12:35 pm

Mike: We have long since agreed here that there are "mistakes" in reportage and then there are "intentional deceptions." The devil is in the details, isn't it? And while we are on the topic of "intentional deceptions" (i.e., lies), what would you call it when the mainstream media consistently ignores real news stories and suppresses the information because it might be damaging or embarrassing to the administration? That, too, is a lie in my book. And yes, I accuse the mainstream media of this. Fox News? Not so much. What say you?

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 1:33 pm

Pardon me for breaking in on your conversation, Mr.S, but I appreciate it when the media doesn't report everything. There's too much. I HATE the "man bites dog" stories that sometimes makes it onto local news shows. So I watch PBS, mostly, when I want news. But because we all need some screening, it comes down to who reports what you want to learn about. If you want to get all the dirt possible on Obama or his administration, you go to Fox News. Do we agree on that? That's setting aside the whole question of truthfulness. I go to media outlets that I believe are more neutral in their presentation, because that's the way I am. Now, if the VA "scandal," had been broken by Fox News, I was ready to admit that Fox had done us a service. If fact, people here just assumed the story originated with Fox because it was so Fox-like. But it wasn't! It was CNN. My faith in the mainstream media was reaffirmed. And yours should be too.

• mike kirchubelMay 28, 2014 - 4:54 pm

Mr. S, could it possiby be that the mainstream media doesn't knee jerk to every fox exclusive because fox is so full of hot air? Could that possibly be true? You may recall me doing an article about fox news' biggest stories of 2012, i believe, and asking whatever happened to them? What happened is that the stories were either not stories or were blown way out of proportion in an effort to make the obama administration look bad. Keystone, fast and furious, Benghazi, the irs "scandal", you name it and it wasn't what we were told on fox. And yes, i watch it too. It's funny as heck.

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 5:28 pm

Keystone, Benghazi and the IRS scandals are still playing out. Better not count your chickens.....Fast and Furious smells too, but there are bigger fish to fry. Bring your popcorn, like I told CD.

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 5:39 pm

What about ObamaCare?

• Mr. SmithMay 28, 2014 - 7:34 pm

Obamacare is the modern day "American Tragedy." Waiting for Obama's "8 million" signups to actually pay their premiums.

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 12:43 pm

True, Mike. But we DID make progress. Mr.S is now acknowledging the definition of a lie and that people often falsely accuse media outlets of lying, either because they are lying themselves or they (more innocently) don't know the definition of a lie. The question now is, are all the accusations against Fox false? FDC accuses "Foxophobes" of invariably making false accusations of lying against Fox and (consequently) never backing up their claims. My response to THAT was to ask FDC or anyone else to Google "fox news lies" and report back if they found nothing credible. I'm still waiting, Mr.S's diversion notwithstanding. So I assume that simple test yields credible results the "Foxophiles" don't want to debate. Frankly, I haven't even looked yet and I won't until someone--anyone--tells me there is nothing there. Then, for me, it's "I've got to see this!" So maybe there IS "nothing to see here," but there is something to see there!

• mike kirchubelMay 28, 2014 - 5:02 pm

RLW, there are documentaries on fox news lying. I don't see how we can do justice to the continual and intentional misleading conducted by fox with a few keystrokes here.

• mike kirchubelMay 22, 2014 - 6:21 am

Franklin Delano Crutchfield, my, my, my. Fox News is NOT unbiased? Foxophobes haven't provided facts that directly challenge them? Hard to believe that anybody exposed to both sides of an argument like that would not see the truth. What you have cited as "evidence" of wrongdoing on the left is purely and merely guilt by association. Do you have any real evidence to support your contention that Foxophobes are wrong and you are right? Try using Google, just once in your life, instead of relying on Fox exclusively for your "facts."

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 7:48 am

I don't suppose it's necessary to ask where FDC got that list. Fox spends a good part of its time comforting its audience that it's the only reliable source if news and information. Kind of like a cult, isn't it?

• Mr. SmithMay 22, 2014 - 8:13 am

So, rlw: Are you challenging the veracity of FDC's list and statements here, or just making sure everyone knows what you think of Fox News? You Foxophobes are just plain comical in your angst over Fox's role in bursting your liberal bubble on a daily basis.

• CD BrooksMay 22, 2014 - 8:29 am

Mr. Smith, this whole “role reversal” thing is intriguing. We have been knocking FOX-isms out of the park for years with no replies. That’s because there are no reasonable answers to some of the far-fetched nonsense. Is this a “Rove” plan? Are folks tired of repeating lies only to learn that’s exactly what they are? OR…have you folks simply grown tired of being corrected? Like I said come over to the left, you’ll be smarter happier and better looking too! ;)

• Mr. SmithMay 22, 2014 - 8:53 am

CD: Rlw implies that Franklin's letter is based upon information presented by Fox News, and is therefore unworthy of serious consideration. I have asked him, and I now ask you--are you challenging the accuracy of Mr. Crutchfield's presentation? If so, what are the unsubstantiated claims therein?

• CD BrooksMay 22, 2014 - 8:58 am

Mr. Smith, my concern was Mr. C's audacity to challenge us openly for not answering to his (FOX) comments. I have repeatedly proven his assertion incorrect or inaccurate in context. He is guilty as so many others of regurgitating utter fallacy and running away. THAT'S my issue. Now you have also stated "Fox's role in bursting your liberal bubble on a daily basis." Absurd.

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 9:10 am

Mr.S: No, I assume it's all true. I'm not even going to bother to check it out. What I'm saying is FDC is simply repeating what he got from Fox, complete with innuendo. That's how minions behave.

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 9:17 am

The other technique of which you should be alert is the rhetorical question. Can you pick them out in FDC's epistle? He can't make the accusation without lying, so he "merely" asks the accusatory or damning question. "Mr.S doesn't get what I'm saying. Could it be that he has lost his marbles?" It's almost like a stock joke for people who like to spot the unlie lie.

• Mr. SmithMay 23, 2014 - 4:30 pm

So, rlw. You assume that what FDC presented was all true, so there was no need to verify it. THEN you say that your real objection was your feeling that FDC was merely repeating what he heard on Fox. What? Are you admitting that Fox actually broadcasts the truth? Foxophobes, like those of you who also suffered from severe Bush Derangement Syndrome, need to get a new mantra. You look a little foolish, in your penchant for seeing a Fox behind every Bush.

• CD BrooksMay 23, 2014 - 4:43 pm

Mr. Smith, "fox behind every Bush." That is classic Sir, well done! :)

• Mr. SmithMay 23, 2014 - 5:07 pm

Thanks, CD. I try.

• rlw895May 23, 2014 - 6:26 pm

Mr.S: Now don't get in all of a tizzy. Did you miss "complete with innuendo" or did you choose to ignore it? You do that a lot with my comments.

• Mr. SmithMay 23, 2014 - 7:55 pm

Rlw: I feel your pain, and thanks for bringing this up. I have many, many times felt a sense of disappointment when (what I consider to be) some of my most salient and nuanced points seem to go unappreciated/overlooked by the intended recipients. Such is life, I guess.

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:19 pm

Mr.S: Your empathy has made me introspective. I see how I started by taking about FDC's list and you replied as if I was talking about his list "and statements." When I then said I assumed "it was all true," you got the idea that I agreed with everything FDC wrote. Nope. I was still talking about the list--the verifiable facts--not the opinions, whether voiced through rhetorical questions, and therefore only implied, or not. I hope that clears up the miscommunication.

• Mr. SmithMay 23, 2014 - 8:01 pm

Rlw: My excellent response to your post disappeared into the DR ozone. There was nothing out of bounds about what I wrote, as far as I know.

• CD BrooksMay 22, 2014 - 8:28 am

FDC's absence is uncommon. I'm concerned about him......

• mike kirchubelMay 22, 2014 - 9:36 am

RLW, I believe that Fox News has the highest percentage of people who trust it AND the highest percentage of people who don't trust it. I imagine those that trust it are either very gullible, don't have access to real sources of information, or are very lazy, that is they haven't ever made the effort to see what else is out there. Any thoughts?

• rlw895May 22, 2014 - 9:53 am

Mike: That probably sums it up pretty well. But you would to add guys who like blonde talking heads. Even I find that entertaining. Fox knows their target audience!

• My Demons are upset...May 22, 2014 - 10:20 am

I almost died in my sleep night before last... They want a new host that is irrevocably evil.... are you interested rlw?

• Old NickMay 22, 2014 - 10:39 am

No one ever sees himself as evil.

• mike kirchubelMay 22, 2014 - 11:13 am

YESSSS ! I especially like it when they lie to me. It's just so dirty.

• rlw895May 25, 2014 - 12:08 am

Smokin' hot. But I remain totally unaffected and objective.

• Salty DogMay 27, 2014 - 9:41 am

So mike that must mean that those that do not trust Fox News must be lazy uninformed and or blinded by the truth that Fox News is showing the American people. You did not say any thing about that now did you.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 9:47 am

Salty Dog, again with zero. Why do you bother?

• Salty DogMay 27, 2014 - 2:49 pm

CD. You just proved my point.

• mike kirchubelMay 27, 2014 - 10:08 am

Mr. Salty, thanks for the laugh. I'll bet there a lot of Foxophiles who think that way.

• Salty DogMay 27, 2014 - 2:51 pm

Mike. With that reply you just proved my point.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 3:12 pm

Salty Dog, you NEVER have a point so let's not go there. You still haven't fessed up to your lie about guns.

• mike kirchubelMay 27, 2014 - 6:02 pm

And you've proven that it's hard to argue against a delusional mind. They can justify every idea without having to resort to outside influences or those pesky facts.

• FDCMay 23, 2014 - 3:39 pm

I took some time off to watch the FOXophobes have a hissy fit over this challenge to their attacks on the FOX news service. It would be amusing if it were not so pathetic to watch them weep and wail and gnash their teeth over the facts and opinions presented in the letter. As is typical of all FOXophobes they ignore the message and attack the messenger. Most amusing of all, they continue their attacks on FOX and me without bothering to research what was presented in the letter. Not one word or whit or iota or jot or tittle, not even a hint, of the facts in the letter came from FOX. Most embarrassing to them, the bulk of the information in this letter came from the Washington Post, not a conservative “news” source. To refute some of the more off-base accusations from the FOXophobes: Mikey challenges me to use Google instead of FOX to get my facts. Mikey, Mikey, I got my facts through Google; please see above. Rlw895 followed his intellectual leader (?) by saying not once but twice that I obtained my information from FOX, the second time with a particularly nasty statement that I “repeat what he [FDC] gets from FOX, complete with innuendo.” Wrong, rlw895, twice, and you are beneath contempt with your charge that I am lying or that I might have “lost his [FDC’s] marbles”! CD, well, CD is being CD. No, CD, you have never answered a challenge with facts, only with bluff and bluster. So you see, Dear Reader, the FOXophobes don’t want open discussion, they want to silence opposition and if they can’t do it with brilliance they will do it with baloney and personal attack on their opponents. Don’t be misled. Do your own fact finding and beware of the sweetheart deals in today’s media.

• CD BrooksMay 23, 2014 - 4:13 pm

FDC, really Sir you MUST be ashamed of your flagrant garbage you consistently spread here. That is simply another bald-faced lie and the only reason you can make that charge is because you never checked THE FACTS as they were presented. I am embarrassed for you yet here I was sincerely concerned when you took your "hiatus."

• FDCMay 24, 2014 - 7:14 am

Which FACT in my letter did I not check? Which FACT is in error? Which FACT in my letter was not reported in the Washington Post? Is Claire Shipman of ABC married to Jay Carney? Is Ben Rhodes the brother of David Rhodes? Etc, Etc, Etc. But I still like some things about you, big guy.

• CD BrooksMay 24, 2014 - 7:35 am

FDC, I clearly pointed out my disgust with your letter and as usual, you're avoiding the obvious truth and continuing the nonsense. Integrity has been lost, there simply is no debating with you folks.

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 10:03 am

Crutchfield, im sure you think you found the magic key that proves all the crazy "left wing media" theories are correct, but you've just found a list of correspondents with spouses working for the government. Big deal. I could just as easily copy and paste articles showing that the people who own and run the media are right wingers. At the end of the day, there is no lame stream, left wing media conspiracy, only the wealthy and their corporations.

• FDCMay 24, 2014 - 3:34 pm

"I could just as easily copy and paste articles showing that the people who own and run the media are right wingers." OK, Mr. Kirchubel, do it.

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 6:05 pm

Why?

• FDCMay 24, 2014 - 6:21 pm

Because if you don't it will be further proof that you are a blowhard. And it is safe for me to challenge you because i know you can't do it, anyway.

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 7:28 pm

You think i am anyway. Would you, could you ever admit you were on the wrong side of the political equation?

• Salty DogMay 27, 2014 - 6:01 pm

FDC CD lives in his own little fantasy world where nobody is right but him. When he is president with the facts he will avoid them and start rambling on and not say any thing just like the good little liberal Obama supporter he is. trying to reason with him is a waste of time. He does not want to be confused with any thing that contradicts his pre conceived views.

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 9:52 pm

Salty Dog, still no gun evidence and you don't know what you're talking about. You are doing exactly as I have said you do. You have nothing. I don't make things up here nor do I grab information from thin air. I see an issue that looks fishy and it usually is. Then I check it out and present it here. Then I take a beating because nobody wants to believe it and would much rather attack me than check it out for themselves. When you all bring nonsense, I find it and sort out the mess voila! The truth emerges! That's how its been here for ten years! I have stated here openly and consistently over many years that the GOP would take your rights if you allow them into power. Take the recent AZ issue where the GOP governing body was trying to legalize discrimination. FDC brought some 10th amendment nonsense but the bottom line is that that Governor waited until the last second to veto a bill for "Religious Freedoms." Why did she wait? Because she was threatened with losing the Super Bowl and the $millions that would bring to the economy. Several states that I have all ready listed were prepared to follow suit and backed off when they found that as I've said a hundred times, America will not go that far right. I could not believe number one, nobody else brought the story and number two, nobody wanted to hear it! This was just one of hundreds of stories I countered.When I bring information about an article or some far out issue, I have checked several sources to find the actual transcript or video and I bring context. You cannot argue that, I have always done it. I was guilty early on for not citing sources because I felt I had done the work why should I let you have the easy way out? So I got trashed...a lot. Now I'm still getting ridiculous negative and incorrect feedback from some flunky that only knows what they hear and it is always wrong! You folks NEVER bring the "rest of the story." You hear only the part that is intended for you to hear and run with it. I go deeper and find the edited cut up version that happens to be the truth. Yes those pesky ugly facts that make you nuts but they are accurate. Like I said, I don't make it up but I do make it right. President Obama is not the bad guy. Good evening.

• rlw895May 24, 2014 - 7:31 am

FDC: Thanks for the clarification. Your letter, as a defense of Fox, implied that your facts originated there. I'm not surprised the mainstream media has reported the same facts, though your letter says they didn't. Who knows where YOU got those facts first? My point, again, is not that the facts are wrong, but the conspiracy theory is wrong. It's said of conspiracy theorists that they have lots of dots (facts) but no lines, so they fill in their own lines to draw the picture they want. As for my comments on lying and the misuse of rhetorical questions, I stand by them and will defend them as long as anyone wants. The example I used with Mr.S, was just that, and intentionally facetious because we know each other. He doesn't need you to defend him; you have your hands full defending yourself!

• rlw895May 24, 2014 - 7:42 am

PS: And I never said, even in jest, that you'd lost your marbles. Go back are read again.

• FDCMay 24, 2014 - 7:50 am

Poor rlw895 (Ricky) is at his tricks again: avoid the message, attack the messenger. rlw895, the letter is not a defense of FOX and your taking it as an "implication" of defense displays your eagerness to warp the message and confuse the reader. Your injection of "conspiracy theory" into the discussion is just plain silly and proves further that your sole aim is to muddy the waters with "facts" which are not in evidence. And describing your own slanderous (or is it libelous?) utterances as "facetious" is your attempt to justify your own nasty temperament when dealing with those whose views do not fit your views. Scat! Shoo! Go peddle your disharmony elsewhere!

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 8:18 am

Wow, RLW, you got the ultimate put down from Franklin, a "shoo!"

• rlw895May 24, 2014 - 11:06 pm

FDC: The letter is NOT a defense of Fox? Yes, it is more, I can see that, but YOU muddied the waters yourself with your poor presentation. What did you intend it to be?

• mike kirchubelMay 27, 2014 - 10:32 pm

Three days and no comment from the foxophile. I guess that answers your question. FDC merely wanted to make his tarnished cherished "news" source look a little brighter by rubbing dirt on everyone else. I guess if that's the best you got, you better go with it. I think most readers saw it for what it was, trying to make fox seem somewhat believeable while simultaneously looking like a blind zealot in the process. I was good for a laugh.

• FDCMay 28, 2014 - 7:11 am

Mr. Kirchubel penned "FDC merely wanted to make his tarnished cherished 'news' source look a little brighter by rubbing dirt on everyone else." Not so. "Dirt?" Typical answer from Mikey, twist the truth and evade the facts. Is it "dirt" that the CBS news boss is the brother of a White House top policy adviser? Is it "dirt" that Claire Shipman of ABC is married to Jay Carney, White House spokesmouth? (PS, are you aware that the Shipman/Carney household is decorated with Soviet propaganda posters prominently displayed on the walls?) It is futile for one to try to counter Mikey's constant stream of left wing propaganda; he just can't help himself. And as for rlw895's challenge to "Googling something like 'Fox News lies?'" to learn some magical truth. I did so and the very first listing led me to a wild-eyed, foam-at-the-mouth, obscenity-laced left-wing site which was nothing but a really juvenile, hated-filled pile of left-wing propaganda. I guess that explains where rlw895 gets his "truth." So, Dear Reader, you can look for more baloney from the Foxophobe dingdongs. In the meantime, be wary of ALL "news" sources, which was and still is my main concern in this fun-filled exchange.

• rlw895May 28, 2014 - 8:53 am

FDC: That doesn't show anything except you don't have the stamina to do even the simplest research into your beloved Fox News. I'd be happy to explore together.

• I do not like FOX.... butMay 23, 2014 - 4:55 pm

FDC your letter is spot on as far as facts about the liberal media and its relationship to this administration.... so really amounts to Democrat/Republican same same with the propaganda and deflection tactics..... Very good FDC

• joey porterMay 23, 2014 - 7:17 pm

Growing up in WV we had two local daily newspapers the Charleston Gazette and the Charleston Daily Mail. One was a Democrat paper and the other a GOP paper. it was amazing to read both papers and to see the different spins put on the very same news story. What was page one news in one paper may have showed up on page seven of the other and vice versa. By reading both papers you were able to discern the truth. The truth I have found is often like an onion an requires many layers to be peeled off to get to the center of it . Nothing has changed much but that it seems those on the left now don't even want other opinions to be voiced. William F. Buckley, Jr. said it best "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." If you think you are getting the whole truth by watching the local news and reading the SF Chronicle you are a person who chooses to be both self ignorant and closed minded.

• RodMay 24, 2014 - 7:50 am

I think theirfor I watch Fox News.

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 9:43 am

Rod, thanks for the laugh. You're a real Rene Doesfarts.

• rlw895May 24, 2014 - 11:09 pm

Thank you BOTH for the laugh!

• mike kirchubelMay 24, 2014 - 11:31 pm

Mine was intentional. Not yet sure about ron's.

• rlw895May 25, 2014 - 12:06 am

Rod's. I agree, but don't want to rub it in.

• DanielMay 27, 2014 - 7:28 am

Without FOX Obama would have even more of a blank check from the DNC controlled lame stream. Without FOX we would have never learned about the VA political patient lists, Fast and Furios, we would have thought that Benghazi really was a Youtube riot, NSA was only spying on terrorists, Holder was wire tapping only spies insted of the media, the IRS was politically persecuting both sides and that our medical insurance wasn't being ruined. Without FOX Obama would have a complete blank check.

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:05 am

Who told you that? FOX?

• DanielMay 27, 2014 - 8:38 am

It's obvious, however CNN might be breaking from Obama's and the DNC to stop being a covert campaigning outlet pretending to be real news like all the other networks are except for FOX of course,

• CD BrooksMay 27, 2014 - 8:46 am

Daniel, you always repeat the same thing but you NEVER bring a substantial counter. Why? Because there ISN'T one! Good grief find a hobby like, oh I don't know, maybe looking stuff up?

• rlw895May 27, 2014 - 8:48 am

Whatever. Can you try to be more coherent? Perhaps you took a couple of seconds to Google "who broke the VA scandal story" and found out it was CNN. Is that what you're admitting?

• Danny BuntinMay 28, 2014 - 11:01 am

@Daniel: "It's obvious...", CNN couldn't find its knee from its elbow. They are strictly fluff now. Their website covers no hard news, and has conformed to the click-bait form of journalism. How is that Clive Bundy thing working out?

• JagMay 27, 2014 - 11:21 am

Of course you are going to report a story in a certain way if you spouse is in a position and you don’t want to hurt their carrier on both sides I am sure it happens I used to watch fox but they have gotten too liberal for me, I now listen to one guy on the radio, No names I am not trying to promote a show but I did learn about the republican establishment and how our party needs to break that first, Who knows maybe pretty soon we will see Carl Rove on MSNBC (you Dems can have him)

• CD BrooksMay 28, 2014 - 8:41 am

FDC at his “Sybil” best and now denouncing all media sources. How utterly and typically convenient! We’ll just go ahead and ignore the 2009 evidence I presented of FOX using fake videos, false info, cutting and pasting from several sources. Then apologizing yet it continues to this day. Guess I’ve always just been wrong.

• mike kirchubelMay 28, 2014 - 9:13 am

Yes, CD, i noticed that after asking us to cite any fox untruth, Frankie used the words "never corrected". He seems to realize that sometimes, after lying about an issue, fox will run a brief recap of the lies told, and caught, during the previous show. No other network does that or needs to do that. Saturday Night Live has jumped on that trick several times by doing a fox news skit and at the end, scrolling through a long list of inaccuracies told during the past hour. I guess crutchfield feels this is ok for a so called "news" network.

• CD BrooksMay 28, 2014 - 9:08 am

Wow, the GOP point of view. So many angles and nothing to support them. How gullible can so many people be really?

• JagMay 28, 2014 - 7:43 pm

I don’t think it is gullible CD I think people watch those stations to have their own beliefs confirmed, it`s no secret MSNBC is for the left and fox is for the right so people sit down get a little bit of feel good time and go on with their life’s.

Clarksburg family rolls with times

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Fresh, fruity, summer and fall Delta pitstops

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1

Saving the Gakuen: A bit of history tucked away in Clarksburg

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Old, new collide in Freeport

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1

Vacaville honors top crossing guards

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

State lifts Solano moth quarantine

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Gallo subsidiary wins bid for Winterhawk Winery

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B10 | Gallery

Green Valley teachers get wet for a good cause

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B12

The Leaven helps reach at-risk kids

By Murray Bass | From Page: B12

No plea as suspect in Suisun slaying appears in court

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Weather for Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Man is guilty of murder after his dogs kill woman

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

California teacher reprimanded for sending tweets

N. California officer accused of beating woman

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

California appeals teacher tenure ruling

Lawmakers pass first California groundwater rules

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Lawmakers send gun restraining order bill to Brown

California marijuana grow stole reservation water

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Feds critical of California twin tunnel project

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

California mentally ill inmates get special units

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

1K-pound alligator caught in Alabama sets record

Manatees may lose endangered species status

Marathon bombing suspect: Delay trial until 2015

Border Patrol agent fires at armed militia member

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Westerners linked to extremist groups in Syria

Rescuers locate 20 of 24 trapped in Nicaragua mine

At heart of Syria fears, extremists returning home

Experimental Ebola drug heals all monkeys in study

Cheers, jeers for the week of Aug. 24-30, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 30, 2014

Changing election dates: Dems seek more domination

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11

Zombies are not for fun

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 3 Comments

Today in History: Aug. 30, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 30, 2014

Our irresponsible sister is getting the house and mistreats Mom

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Horoscopes: Aug. 30, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

Ex-Myanmar beauty queen accused of stealing crown

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Cee Lo Green enters no contest plea in drug case

Chris Brown due back in DC court for plea hearing

Fire destroys house on late author Clancy’s estate

Chelsea Clinton quits as NBC News reporter

Daughter: Joan Rivers is in ‘serious condition

Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown

No. 11 Stanford set to open season vs. UC Davis

After eventful offseason, Northwestern meets Cal Bears in opener

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith suspended by NFL

JC women’s soccer: Solano kicks off season with 0-0 draw

Raiders face decisions at QB heading into opener

Prep volleyball: Vacaville Christian falls to D-I power Davis

Palmer opens with a 63 to lead in Boston

Pernice, Bryant share Champions Tour lead

I.K. Kim increases Portland Classic lead

A’s fall back in AL West, blanked by Angels

Posey goes 5 for 5 in 6 innings, Giants rout Brewers

Errani’s ‘cottage cheese’ serve tops Venus at Open

This date in sports history for Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Tony Stewart back at the track, looking to heal

Jerry Lee Trammell