Letters to editor

Gun control never worked

By From page A11 | December 21, 2012

The first thing a person says when an act like what happened in Connecticut happens is “gun control,” which in my personal opinion has never worked. Mental health has helped a lot of people.

The reason I say that it has never worked is that before gun control, how many schools were entered to destroy precious lives?  If you feel gun control works, then why is it gangs and cartels can get their hands on almost any weapon they want, including, I might add, the 50-caliber that can kill a mile away?

When you have a nation of homeless people who are in drastic need of mental health help and you have people like the one causing such problems as last week’s: it’s not gun control we need. It’s mental health clinics to help people like this.

If gangs and cartels can get guns any time of the year, and states such as Connecticut have some of the strongest gun laws, then why do people think gun control is going to do anything when they can drive to another state to pick up the ammo they need to cause such destruction?

Have you noticed all the other people who have been making threats out there against schools, churches and colleges? This should speak for itself on what is needed: more mental health, not gun control.

Lloyd Willmschen

Letter to the Editor

• Danny BuntinDecember 21, 2012 - 9:39 am

Actually, the first thing brought up is how we should not talk about gun control at a time like this.

• laffsatliersDecember 21, 2012 - 1:04 pm

Danny: Is that what DiFi said? Did I miss something>

• Danny BuntinDecember 21, 2012 - 1:56 pm

I do not understand the question.

• laffsatliersDecember 21, 2012 - 3:32 pm

• Danny BuntinDecember 21, 2012 - 4:40 pm

It took me a while to figure out your acronym. I formulated my statement on the countless talking heads that stated "it was too early to talk about gun regulation". Not from your dear friend Dianne Feinstein.

• laffsatliersDecember 21, 2012 - 7:09 pm

She's your Senator, Danny, not mine.

• Danny BuntinDecember 21, 2012 - 8:22 pm

Going back to the original point you were trying to make, can you clarify what your point was in your response to me? Or may I assume you were trying to make a funny?

• J. KnowlesDecember 21, 2012 - 10:58 am

Lloyd, I disagree. The data says otherwise. Nations with strict gun control have much less gun violence than we do, and it's not even close. I think we need both better mental health care AND gun control, not one or the other. Reaad this and see if you disagree... http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/fareed-zakaria-the-solution-to-gun-violence-is-clear/2012/12/19/110a6f82-4a15-11e2-b6f0-e851e741d196_story.html