Letters to editor

Crime must be addressed in community

By From page A11 | April 30, 2014

As a retired senior deputy probation officer for the County of Solano, I have firsthand experience with the county’s work with our criminal population and our responsibility to deter offenders, ensuring they comply with the terms of their probation.

Solano County’s role to play in deterring crime, especially in lowering the recidivism rate for the additional parolees in the umbrella of services provided by Solano County. I believe if the Board of Supervisors has a governing responsibility over the department that deals directly with criminals, then the Board of Supervisors has a major role to play in reducing and deterring crime in this county.

I am currently president of the Solano County Board of Education, representing portions of the cities of Fairfield and Vacaville. The SCOE operates a community school for at-risk youths, provides education services for the 100-plus students in the Solano County Juvenile Detention Facility, and provides services to more than 2,000 homeless students in this county.

Without these efforts, it is likely we would be adding to the future criminal population of our overcrowded jails, or worse.

The future of our children is too important for me or any elected official or community leader to ignore the crime plaguing our community. I stand with Pam Bertani to say that the elected leaders of this county have a responsibility to do everything in our power to deter crime and keep our streets, and our children safe.

If Jim Spering thinks that crime is just a city of Fairfield problem he is wrong. This is a county problem, and Pam Bertani is making inroads to make sure the citizens of Solano County are safe and those people who have been released back to our community are supervised appropriately. Pam is ready to do what has to be done to protect the citizens of this county.

Michelle Coleman

Letter to the Editor

• 2realApril 29, 2014 - 6:51 am

You people are voting with your heart and no true knowledge of what these people are about. Look what obama got us. Bertani is no good. Am i the only one seeing this?

• Danny BuntinApril 29, 2014 - 3:38 pm

I am curious about your statement "Look what Obama got us". Care to provide details on that?

• The MisterApril 29, 2014 - 7:14 am

"Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer Not a trace of doubt in my mind. I'm in love, I'm a believer! I couldn't leave her if I tried."

• CD BrooksApril 29, 2014 - 7:33 am

Good to know you are in support of doing something about crime. Not so good knowing you expect Bertani to help out there. Look around, she has zero support for this election. She has been exposed with zero support as a councilperson now as well.

• SalApril 29, 2014 - 8:07 am

Again, actions speak louder than words. Pam talks a good talk, but has zero credibility. She is leaving her job half done in order to climb up the political ladders. She lays blame on the county when she infact was on the council and did NOTHING in her two years to help with Fairfield. She ran on the 'revamp the downtown' platform, and painted ONE park bench in the past two years.And now she wants a paid supervisory position? ARE U KIDDIN ME? B----Please!

• JBApril 29, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Again remind me factually what Pam has done. You stand with Pam too long you might get shot.

• Rich GiddensApril 29, 2014 - 9:21 pm

Turnoff the welfare and secure the borders of the United States----there, I just got to the root of your crime problems.

• Danny BuntinApril 30, 2014 - 6:46 pm

You were just complaining last month about possibly losing you Commissary, if it does not continue to get the federal subside to keep prices low for you.