Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chamber CEO decision a bad one

Web_OurView_YourView

I read the recent front-page article (March 8, “Fay no longer chamber CEO”).

That really struck a nerve. After reading the article, I was disappointed and upset. You’ve got to be kidding me! I have known Leslie Fay, the individual who was “let go,” for more than 10 years and in my opinion she is an individual with the highest integrity and standards. I know a lot of other people in Fairfield would agree. Then to read where she was fired without any other printed comments other than “moving a different direction?” In other words, she was dismissed for no reason.

What the heck does that mean? A woman with more than 20 years of chamber of commerce experience with only the highest credentials was let go so “they” (whoever they are) could move in a “different direction.”

To my knowledge, the board of directors of the chamber consists of volunteers from various businesses in Fairfield with more than likely little to no knowledge or chamber experience. I would assume these individuals are supposed to provide support for the chamber president, a professional, so he/she can manage and lead the chamber of commerce.

In my opinion, there are only three reasons individuals are on such boards: To serve and make a difference, for prestige, and/or to benefit their own means. To dismiss such a person, whose only goal was to promote and enhance Fairfield’s businesses, is a little questionable to me. If their reason was to go a different direction, it seems to me they would want and need a person like Leslie Fay.

If I were a betting person, I would wager there are some who are looking to “benefit” over this move.

To the business members of the chamber of commerce I say, look around and watch the direction you’re being led and who is leading. Things are not always what they seem!

Sharon Linville

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• SteveApril 18, 2013 - 12:17 pm

If she is a businessperson, I would encourage Ms. Linville to join the Chamber and get involved. Then she can have a say in the direction the organization takes.

• JenniferApril 18, 2013 - 1:32 pm

Steve, (I'm assuming you are Steve Lessler, who sits on the chamber board.) Are you saying there was no predetermined "new direction" and that you and the board are now making it up and inviting others to give input as you go? I'd say this proves Ms. Linville's point, don't you think?

• BradleyApril 18, 2013 - 2:32 pm

I have to agree with Sharon. Everybody I've talked with is confused and kind of upset about the decision. We really liked Leslie and nobody seems to have any idea about this "new direction" the organization is taking. None of the Board members I've talked to can tell me what's going on or why she was let go. You don't just fire the company's president without having a good reason and nobody's been able to provide one. I'm sorry but the whole thing just smells kind of fishy to me. It'll be interesting to see who her replacement is going to be.

• Pauline WatkinsApril 19, 2013 - 12:42 am

I agree with Steve's comments; get involved with the chamber to know what exactly is going on. While a person may be "likeable," that does not mean they are a "leader" or display leadership qualities. Perhaps we should wait until all facts have been presented. The organization's bylaws dictate the role of the board and any decisions they can or can not make. Since the board is made up of many different business members of the comunity, this decision was not done by one person's agenda. I am sure there will be people who are defending Ms. Fay, but as I remember the article did not attack her job performance or character, it just said the board "decided to go in a different direction." In large corporations, a CEO is often replaced when a needed change is necessary to continue the direction of a company. Perhaps this was the situation at this chamber. I, for one, will wait for all facts to be presented, rather than to voice my opinion based off of one side.

• BradleyApril 19, 2013 - 9:26 am

The people I've spoken with didn't like her because she was "likeable" they liked her because of what she was DOING. Large corporations also have to answer to their shareholders and I really think people have a right to know what happened. It's been over a month now so I don't know how much longer we'll have to wait for the facts to be presented assuming they ever will.

• Pauline WatkinsApril 20, 2013 - 12:00 pm

From your viewpoint, what was Ms.Fay DOING for the businesses? I know from a personal experience, she did not know who a vast majority of her members were. She knew who her volunteers were, but not the other businesses who were members. This was unacceptable and this is not good when trying to retain members.

• BradleyApril 21, 2013 - 8:03 pm

Well, lets see.... She brought back the Leadership Program, which resulted in the most successful fundraiser in Fairfield's history last year (I know because my wife and I were there). The leadership program she brought back resulted in the Public Education Foundation, she started a newsletter for the chamber with this fine publication that we're now posting our comments to and she started a new major employer's group. From what I've heard, she was also the one who brought in some tenants for the building which is what kept the chamber going during the recession. If she didn't know somebody who was a chamber member, it was only because they never got involved or participated in everything that was going on so I'd actually have to agree with Steve on that one. If you think business people out there aren't paying attention to all this, you better think again.

• Sherry McKillopApril 22, 2013 - 9:21 am

Pauline, When I first moved to this area I knew one person and we joke that he didn't know anybody! The first thing I did was join the chamber. Leslie welcomed me and when I showed up at the mixers she made a special point to introduced me to other members. I met so many people through Leslie it was difficult to keep track of them all, which she couldn't have done if she "did not know the vast majority of her members." Membership in the chamber is NOT like a lottery ticket, where one pays one's money and then waits/hopes for business to roll in. The way the chamber works for you is for YOU to jump in and work for the chamber.

• Kent keilFebruary 04, 2014 - 1:23 pm

Leslie Fay Thank You for your friendship and your outstanding leadership. The very best to you and your family. The only word I could say is that your the Best! Kent Keil

Supervisor candidates square off at forum

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 7 Comments | Gallery

Carli takes oath, now Vacaville’s 14th police chief

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Huge jump in Solano median home price

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

Donate a car, help build a house

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Solano DA hosts workshop to fight human trafficking

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 4 Comments | Gallery

Fairfield town hall on crime delayed

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 5 Comments

Railway museum offers wine-tasting rides

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Drugs topic of cardiac class

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Weather for April 17, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Fairfield police log: April 15, 2014

Suisun City police log: April 15, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 14, 2014

Suisun Police log: April 14, 2014

Armed robber was never told to report to prison

Body of California man who jumped into river found

Lost sea lion in California found mile from water

Seabird from Atlantic spotted on Alcatraz

Ex-Bell city leader gets 12 years in prison

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California delays decision on protecting gray wolf

Court rules for environmentalists in water fight

Governor calls special session on rainy day fund

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Denver police eye 911 response time after killing

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Man charged with marathon hoax is held on bail

Geneva talks on Ukraine face steep hurdles

Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles

Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing

NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

In support of Pam Bertani

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 7 Comments

Parenting demands responsibility

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Let’s stop Fairfield’s future thugs

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11, 8 Comments

Obamacare news you probably missed

By Martin Schram | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Editorial Cartoons for April 17, 2014

By Kim Durbin | From Page: A11

A lesson in household budgeting

By Chris Erskine | From Page: A2

Today in History for April 17, 2014

Community Calendar: April 17, 2014

Horoscopes for April 17, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Daniel Radcliffe on why New York audiences rock

Alicia Silverstone out with book ‘Kind Mama’

Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on ‘The View’

Ailing Malcolm Young taking break from AC/DC

Disney Channel’s ‘Jessie’ breaks romantic ground

Vacaville’s Peralta to wrestle at San Francisco State

Angels beat A’s 5-4 on Iannetta’s HR in 12th

MEL, SCAC tangle in hoops all-star games

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

Sharks take goalie questions into rematch vs Kings

Crawford’s 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets

IndyCar driver Saavedra fined $10K

Sandoval’s single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1

Officer: Sharper’s DNA found on 1 Arizona victim

Jets sign former Titans RB Chris Johnson

Spieth ready for more after Masters success

Backup QB Matt Flynn returns to Packers

Atlanta lands MLS expansion team for 2017

Bucks owner Herb Kohl reaches deal to sell team

Sidney Rice agrees to terms with Seahawks

Goodwin helps Suns to 104-99 win over Kings in finale

Yellen: Fed stimulus still needed for job market

Some exempted from minimum wage, increased or not

Fed survey: Growth picks up across most of US

Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal charges

IBM posts lower 1Q earnings amid hardware slump