Thursday, December 25, 2014

Neighbor traps cat, shows no remorse in death

July 12, 2011 |

I reside near Monroe Street in Fairfield. My cat, Bradley, who was about 9 years old, was killed inhumanly by a neighbor of mine.

It all started at around 3 p.m. July 5. My family and I had not seen our cat since Friday, so I was starting to get really worried about him. I had hoped he was hiding out since it was Fourth of July weekend. I happened to look in my back neighbor’s yard, and that’s where I discovered my cat.

He was inside a cat trap, with no water, for days. And as you know, it had been in the 100s all week. I immediately called my husband who then left work, and called the police as he was driving home. The police then called the SPCA. An SPCA officer took pictures as evidence, then took our cat to a vet to determine cause of death. They were unable to tell if he had poisoned him. The case may be passed on to the DA.

There is more to the story, however. Later that night, my husband confronted the man. My husband said, “This was our family cat of nearly 10 years. Do you know how long he had been in the cage for?” He started swearing at us.

We couldn’t believe it! We were just hoping he would give us some sort of an apology. Apparently not. He also went on the lines of threatening our dogs by saying he’ll get a rottweiler to take care of them.

My husband and I have two children. Our youngest is only 6 months old and our oldest will be 2 next month. Our oldest loves to play in our backyard, but now we no longer feel safe, for obvious reasons.

I’m telling this to you, because I believe everyone who lives in the surrounding neighborhood who has an outside cat(s) should know about this man. I would hate to see another family have to go through what my family is going through right now. I believe this man should be held responsible.

Amelia Caringello

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• Jason KnowlesJuly 13, 2011 - 9:59 am

And I'll ride shotgun. Literally.

• BBJuly 13, 2011 - 10:00 am

I TRAP CATS ALL THE TIME AND GET RID OF THEM, BUT DONT KILL THEM. ITS IRRESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWNERS TO ALLOW THEM TO POOP, PEE AND SPRAY ON OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY. IF A CAT ENTERS MY BACKYARD TO POOP IN MY GARDEN ITS FAIR GAME AND I WILL TRAP IT AND RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM MYSELF IF THEIR OWNERS. I DONT ALLOW MY DOG TO ENTER MY NEIGHBORS PROPERTY TO DO SUCH THINGS.

• The SugarJarJuly 13, 2011 - 4:00 pm

I'm wondering why your dog isn't deterring these cats who enter your backyard? Kenneled or inside?

• FairfielderJuly 13, 2011 - 11:01 am

Get a grip, BB. Dear City of Fairfield, is it really OK for people to trap domestic cats and hold them in cages until they die because they don't like them in their yard?

• DONNA RIDEOUTJuly 13, 2011 - 11:09 am

GOD, I HOPE NOT.........I'M MISSING MY BIG BLACK CAT "JET" RIGHT NOW, AND IF I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE REASON WHY IT WOULD KILL ME. HE'S NOT BAD/HE'S JUST A CAT. WE LOVE HIM, BUT HE RUNS YOU OVER WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR. WHAT CAN I DO? DON'T HURT ANYTHING CAUSE YOU'RE JUST ANNOYED............................REALLY??????

• Sarah RosenbergSeptember 08, 2014 - 1:27 pm

It would be so easy to kill someone who was cruel to animals. I would have no problem with it whatsoever. What amazes me is that most people will not kill the abusers of their animals or even avenge their poor pets. People have no souls or spines anymore.

• The SugarJarJuly 13, 2011 - 11:21 am

Cats and dogs are different type of animals with different rules associated with what they are allowed to do. There is a leash law for digs, not for cats. If other peoples cats are using your yard as a litter box there are a number of humane ways to discourage it. Killing the cat is not one of them.

• ArtimusJuly 14, 2011 - 1:58 am

I admire your husband for having the patience to deal with such an insensitive man who had no feelings for the love of a family member; a cat. I agree with SugarJar that cats and dogs are two different types of animals that have different life habits. The best way I can put it in shorts words is that people adopt dogs while cats adopt people to be their own. Cats are unique, independent and often will curiously venture out but like SugarJar says that is not an excuse to cause their death. Not only is that inhumane; it is cruel and again I admire a person who can be so patient with a neighbor such as that.

• Mr. 707July 14, 2011 - 7:13 am

The daily republic is all about censorship

• just meJuly 16, 2011 - 7:19 am

Huh?

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 12:32 pm

This monster deserves to be kicked into a trap without food and water in 100 + heat.

• CD BrooksJuly 19, 2011 - 12:41 pm

Marci, you have finally done it! We agree 100% with no political interference. There is still hope for all of us, thank you!

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 2:00 pm

I didn't know you are a cat aficionado, CD. I'm sure Kathy would love to contribute to this strand. Tragically, some people do the same thing to babies by leaving them in a car on a hot day.

• CD BrooksJuly 19, 2011 - 2:08 pm

Marci, I find animal cruelty unacceptable at any level. I did actually write a book and it is about driving. Some of the more tragic information is about people having left their children in the car. Very sad and I simply cannot understand how it could be done?

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 2:26 pm

CD, as much as it pains me, I've got to agree with you. :)

• Mr. PracticalJuly 19, 2011 - 3:47 pm

Awwww. That's sweet!

• LilJuly 19, 2011 - 5:28 pm

The cats in my neighborhood drive me crazy. I come home from work and there is always a cat on my porch, just sleeping away. I cut back a really overgrown tree, and there was a cat, just sitting there looking at me. I go out at night, there is a cat sitting under my car. When I barbecue, at least one cat is in the backyard with me watching me cook. They hang out in my sideyard at night and meow really loud. It's like they are stalking me. I won't even go into the whole problem of what they leave behind, ew. But as much as the cats bother me, I would never think of actually trapping one and leaving it to die. That is just horrible. I'm not a cat person at all but that's just an awful thing to do. The most I do is try to reason with the cats and tell them to leave me alone. But the cats just stare back, they don't even bother to meow. They say that serial killers start out by killing animals, so I would think the police should be interested in this guy and the potential for more problems. Also, I remember a Judge Judy episode (the only one I've ever watched, I swear) that had a neighbor suing another neighbor because one guy accidentally shot the other guy's cat. Judy found in the pet owner's favor and made the other guy pay the vet bills. Maybe this woman should take him to small claims court.

• FoxJuly 19, 2011 - 5:57 pm

Amelia- When I was in elementary school, a man in my neighborhood (in Suisun) put opens cans of cat food sprinkled with rat poison in his backyard for the "Skunks and raccoons." While walking home from school one day I saw a cat come crawling out of his backyard, foaming at the mouth, screaming in a way only a distressed cat can. I ran and told my mom and she called the police and humane society. The cat died in the street in front of this mans house before the authorities could arrive. We found out later that he was fined (that's what we were told anyway), but otherwise was not punished. It was disgusting and he has forever been known in the neighborhood as the Cat Killer, 20 something years later. For this reason alone all of my cats are inside cats, but I grew up understanding the need to let a feline roam on occasion. This is not YOUR fault, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The man with the trap could have easily called the humane society and asked for the cat to be picked up once he was trapped, and (assuming he was chipped) would have been back in your home in no time. Some years later his next door neighbors dog mysteriously lost an eye (a stick through the fence from his side of the property) and a few years later died from internal trauma (tentatively diagnosed as having been poisoned). It was never proven but we all know who did it. Adults with no compassion for animals, probably won't develop any anytime soon. Tell everyone you know what he did to your cat, and spread the word about pet safety outdoors. Good luck, and my condolences to you and your family.

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 6:36 pm

Through the years my cats have always been indoors. I couldn't bear to think about what some whack-job could do to very docile, sweet pets.

• ladysJuly 24, 2011 - 3:19 pm

I'm amazed at how many people make indignant posts, like everyone else is insane. People have a right not to want YOUR CAT on their property, poo, pee, spray, spitting, fighting, killing, and living. KEEP YOUR CAT ON YOUR PROPERTY AND IN YOUR HOUSE. BY LAW... PEOPLE CAN TRAP YOUR ANIMAL AND KEEP IT FOR 24 TO 48 HOURS DEPENDING WHERE YOU LIVE. I don't want your cat, so if it's on my property, I will trap and take it to the shelter - or kill it. Keep your cat on your damn property. Just because you think they are gifts from god doesn't mean they are a nuisance to others - and they are nuisance to others. You cat people think you own everybody elses property and that people should bow down to you and your pets. You are the whack jobs. Keep your cat on your damn property. I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, AND I DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The SugarJarJuly 24, 2011 - 4:54 pm

You gave the right to trap and take to the shelter. You personally don't have the right to kill the animal. There are many humane, and less time-consuming ways to handle keeping unwanted cats away. Cats are roaming animals and generally local laws take that into consideration. It would be wise to check out what you can legally do. It would also be wise to consider that being the type if neighbor you'd want to have.

• ladysJuly 24, 2011 - 3:22 pm

IF YOU DO NOT SPAY/NEUTER YOUR CATS AND THEY DROP A LITTER ON MY PROPERTY - THEY WILL ALL BE KILLED. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ANIMAL SHELTER WOULD DO WITH A BUNCH OF FERAL CATS? TAKE CARE OF YOUR DAMN CATS!

• shockedJuly 24, 2011 - 4:07 pm

Wow "ladys" you are the insane one - not because of you hate cats but because of your reaction and tone in your posts...

• MarciJuly 27, 2011 - 7:39 am

She's a sicko. Maybe she should be disposed of.....

• hamAugust 19, 2011 - 10:21 am

I don't have my kids use the bathroom on my neighbors lawn, so they should follow the law and HOA by keeping their animals off my property, that I work very hard to keep nice. This is a "no brainer" people! If you love your cats, keep them safe in your home!

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 12:39 pm

What law are you referring to?

• T.JAugust 19, 2011 - 1:07 pm

I had a nieghbor who's cat wouldn't stay out of my garden. Same old story with him as with other cat owners. They like to roam and this and that and when she is out you a cat is a cat and blah,blah,blah. So I trapped it and took it into the shelter. I waited 3 days then told him what I did. They charged him to get it out plus he had to get it spayed. Never saw it in my garden again, he kept her in the house from then on.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 1:32 pm

Several of our neighbor's cats hand out in our yard daily. I've never had a problem with it. I actually enjoy them. Our cat visits many of our neighbors. Everyone loves her. We've never had a complaint. I think I'll stay in my neighborhood.

• T.JAugust 19, 2011 - 2:13 pm

Good for you and your nieghborhood. I do feel though that I shouldn't have to step in cat crap when in my own backyard or in my own garden because other people don't have a problem with it. Keep your cats in the house.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 2:56 pm

It isn't that difficult to keep cats out of your yard humanely and be a good neighbor. Probably takes less time than the inhumane methods but it does require you to do a minor amount of research to find out what you can do differently. Unfortunately the problem probably isn't so much what the cats do as what you really just want an excuse to do.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 2:59 pm

Sugar, so true. Personally, it seems like much ado about nothing.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 3:39 pm

Mistreating, injuring, or killing an animal when there are other ways to deal with the issue is absolutely not acceptable. I agree that not everyone is bothered by a cat acting to its nature. And many of those who are see a bigger picture and choose to rid their yards of cat using one or more humane means to do so. Being temporarily ignorant is forgivable. Choosing to be deliberately cruel or deliberately ignorant is not.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 2:26 pm

Different strokes.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 3:52 pm

Sugar, agreed! Personally, I'm not bothered by any animal acting to its nature. Unless, of course, that nature includes trying to eat me.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 4:19 pm

:). I agree that steps should be taken to prevent being eaten!!

Christmas Eve event features Bible, bikes

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

It’s easy to remember some Christmas memories

By Mayrene Bates | From Page: A2

Man’s walk for peace enters Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 17 Comments | Gallery

$3,500 nets Dixon man $9, he says

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Deadline nears for BookFest authors’ contest

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Suisun waterfront to host restaurant week

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Conservancy schedules next Quail Ridge hike

Fairfield man wants $28,828 returned

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 11 Comments

Fairfield police log: Dec. 21, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 23, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 21, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 23, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 22, 2014

Governor issues 105 pardons, many for drug crimes

10 years after tsunami, Indonesian family reborn

Storm expected to bring Christmas snow to Sierra

Sony broadly releases ‘The Interview’ in reversal of plans

Regulations would expand coastal California sanctuaries

Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 7 Comments

Interrogation program mismanaged, Senate, CIA agree

Denver shelters cite legal pot in homeless upswing

After NYC deaths, a surge of support for police

Abe takes office for 3rd term as Japan’s leader

Russia: NATO pushed Kiev to drop nonaligned status

Russia in offer to help firms with foreign debts

By T. Burt McNaughton | From Page: A7

NKorea outage a case study in online uncertainties

Curfew in India state after rebels kill 63

Cuba’s relations with Catholic Church hit high point

Iraq: Suicide attack kills 24 people near Baghdad

Sony tries to save face with ‘Interview’ flip-flop

Who hacked Sony becomes Internet’s new mystery

Immunity and interrogators: a second look

By Walter Pincus | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

My grandson wants what for Christmas?

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Letting go

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Today in History: Dec. 25, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 25, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

A partridge in a pear tree will cost a bit more this year

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Court denies Polanski’s motion to dismiss 1977 sex case

Domestic violence at forefront of NFL in 2014

Alabama’s Sims proves critics wrong with big season

Associated Press Sports Story of the Year Winners

Masters races to keep field under 100 players

Typical NFL season: smiles for some, frowns for others

NBA prepares for Christmas coming-out party

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B2

Titans lead Bucs for top pick in NFL draft

Tyler Summitt easing into head coaching career

Elvis Stojko, Bourne bring skating to small stage

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B2

New-Look NBA: In Milwaukee, a new hope rises

Sharks forward John Scott suspended 4 games

Honda recalls 1,252 Crosstours over side air bags

Applications for US jobless aid fall to 7-week low

Walmart tests gift card exchange

Unions make push to recruit protected immigrants

By The Associated Press | From Page: B7, 3 Comments