Thursday, April 24, 2014

Neighbor traps cat, shows no remorse in death

July 12, 2011 | 34 Comments

I reside near Monroe Street in Fairfield. My cat, Bradley, who was about 9 years old, was killed inhumanly by a neighbor of mine.

It all started at around 3 p.m. July 5. My family and I had not seen our cat since Friday, so I was starting to get really worried about him. I had hoped he was hiding out since it was Fourth of July weekend. I happened to look in my back neighbor’s yard, and that’s where I discovered my cat.

He was inside a cat trap, with no water, for days. And as you know, it had been in the 100s all week. I immediately called my husband who then left work, and called the police as he was driving home. The police then called the SPCA. An SPCA officer took pictures as evidence, then took our cat to a vet to determine cause of death. They were unable to tell if he had poisoned him. The case may be passed on to the DA.

There is more to the story, however. Later that night, my husband confronted the man. My husband said, “This was our family cat of nearly 10 years. Do you know how long he had been in the cage for?” He started swearing at us.

We couldn’t believe it! We were just hoping he would give us some sort of an apology. Apparently not. He also went on the lines of threatening our dogs by saying he’ll get a rottweiler to take care of them.

My husband and I have two children. Our youngest is only 6 months old and our oldest will be 2 next month. Our oldest loves to play in our backyard, but now we no longer feel safe, for obvious reasons.

I’m telling this to you, because I believe everyone who lives in the surrounding neighborhood who has an outside cat(s) should know about this man. I would hate to see another family have to go through what my family is going through right now. I believe this man should be held responsible.

Amelia Caringello

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• Jason KnowlesJuly 13, 2011 - 9:59 am

And I'll ride shotgun. Literally.

• BBJuly 13, 2011 - 10:00 am

I TRAP CATS ALL THE TIME AND GET RID OF THEM, BUT DONT KILL THEM. ITS IRRESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWNERS TO ALLOW THEM TO POOP, PEE AND SPRAY ON OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY. IF A CAT ENTERS MY BACKYARD TO POOP IN MY GARDEN ITS FAIR GAME AND I WILL TRAP IT AND RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM MYSELF IF THEIR OWNERS. I DONT ALLOW MY DOG TO ENTER MY NEIGHBORS PROPERTY TO DO SUCH THINGS.

• The SugarJarJuly 13, 2011 - 4:00 pm

I'm wondering why your dog isn't deterring these cats who enter your backyard? Kenneled or inside?

• FairfielderJuly 13, 2011 - 11:01 am

Get a grip, BB. Dear City of Fairfield, is it really OK for people to trap domestic cats and hold them in cages until they die because they don't like them in their yard?

• DONNA RIDEOUTJuly 13, 2011 - 11:09 am

GOD, I HOPE NOT.........I'M MISSING MY BIG BLACK CAT "JET" RIGHT NOW, AND IF I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE REASON WHY IT WOULD KILL ME. HE'S NOT BAD/HE'S JUST A CAT. WE LOVE HIM, BUT HE RUNS YOU OVER WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR. WHAT CAN I DO? DON'T HURT ANYTHING CAUSE YOU'RE JUST ANNOYED............................REALLY??????

• The SugarJarJuly 13, 2011 - 11:21 am

Cats and dogs are different type of animals with different rules associated with what they are allowed to do. There is a leash law for digs, not for cats. If other peoples cats are using your yard as a litter box there are a number of humane ways to discourage it. Killing the cat is not one of them.

• ArtimusJuly 14, 2011 - 1:58 am

I admire your husband for having the patience to deal with such an insensitive man who had no feelings for the love of a family member; a cat. I agree with SugarJar that cats and dogs are two different types of animals that have different life habits. The best way I can put it in shorts words is that people adopt dogs while cats adopt people to be their own. Cats are unique, independent and often will curiously venture out but like SugarJar says that is not an excuse to cause their death. Not only is that inhumane; it is cruel and again I admire a person who can be so patient with a neighbor such as that.

• Mr. 707July 14, 2011 - 7:13 am

The daily republic is all about censorship

• just meJuly 16, 2011 - 7:19 am

Huh?

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 12:32 pm

This monster deserves to be kicked into a trap without food and water in 100 + heat.

• CD BrooksJuly 19, 2011 - 12:41 pm

Marci, you have finally done it! We agree 100% with no political interference. There is still hope for all of us, thank you!

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 2:00 pm

I didn't know you are a cat aficionado, CD. I'm sure Kathy would love to contribute to this strand. Tragically, some people do the same thing to babies by leaving them in a car on a hot day.

• CD BrooksJuly 19, 2011 - 2:08 pm

Marci, I find animal cruelty unacceptable at any level. I did actually write a book and it is about driving. Some of the more tragic information is about people having left their children in the car. Very sad and I simply cannot understand how it could be done?

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 2:26 pm

CD, as much as it pains me, I've got to agree with you. :)

• Mr. PracticalJuly 19, 2011 - 3:47 pm

Awwww. That's sweet!

• LilJuly 19, 2011 - 5:28 pm

The cats in my neighborhood drive me crazy. I come home from work and there is always a cat on my porch, just sleeping away. I cut back a really overgrown tree, and there was a cat, just sitting there looking at me. I go out at night, there is a cat sitting under my car. When I barbecue, at least one cat is in the backyard with me watching me cook. They hang out in my sideyard at night and meow really loud. It's like they are stalking me. I won't even go into the whole problem of what they leave behind, ew. But as much as the cats bother me, I would never think of actually trapping one and leaving it to die. That is just horrible. I'm not a cat person at all but that's just an awful thing to do. The most I do is try to reason with the cats and tell them to leave me alone. But the cats just stare back, they don't even bother to meow. They say that serial killers start out by killing animals, so I would think the police should be interested in this guy and the potential for more problems. Also, I remember a Judge Judy episode (the only one I've ever watched, I swear) that had a neighbor suing another neighbor because one guy accidentally shot the other guy's cat. Judy found in the pet owner's favor and made the other guy pay the vet bills. Maybe this woman should take him to small claims court.

• FoxJuly 19, 2011 - 5:57 pm

Amelia- When I was in elementary school, a man in my neighborhood (in Suisun) put opens cans of cat food sprinkled with rat poison in his backyard for the "Skunks and raccoons." While walking home from school one day I saw a cat come crawling out of his backyard, foaming at the mouth, screaming in a way only a distressed cat can. I ran and told my mom and she called the police and humane society. The cat died in the street in front of this mans house before the authorities could arrive. We found out later that he was fined (that's what we were told anyway), but otherwise was not punished. It was disgusting and he has forever been known in the neighborhood as the Cat Killer, 20 something years later. For this reason alone all of my cats are inside cats, but I grew up understanding the need to let a feline roam on occasion. This is not YOUR fault, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The man with the trap could have easily called the humane society and asked for the cat to be picked up once he was trapped, and (assuming he was chipped) would have been back in your home in no time. Some years later his next door neighbors dog mysteriously lost an eye (a stick through the fence from his side of the property) and a few years later died from internal trauma (tentatively diagnosed as having been poisoned). It was never proven but we all know who did it. Adults with no compassion for animals, probably won't develop any anytime soon. Tell everyone you know what he did to your cat, and spread the word about pet safety outdoors. Good luck, and my condolences to you and your family.

• MarciJuly 19, 2011 - 6:36 pm

Through the years my cats have always been indoors. I couldn't bear to think about what some whack-job could do to very docile, sweet pets.

• ladysJuly 24, 2011 - 3:19 pm

I'm amazed at how many people make indignant posts, like everyone else is insane. People have a right not to want YOUR CAT on their property, poo, pee, spray, spitting, fighting, killing, and living. KEEP YOUR CAT ON YOUR PROPERTY AND IN YOUR HOUSE. BY LAW... PEOPLE CAN TRAP YOUR ANIMAL AND KEEP IT FOR 24 TO 48 HOURS DEPENDING WHERE YOU LIVE. I don't want your cat, so if it's on my property, I will trap and take it to the shelter - or kill it. Keep your cat on your damn property. Just because you think they are gifts from god doesn't mean they are a nuisance to others - and they are nuisance to others. You cat people think you own everybody elses property and that people should bow down to you and your pets. You are the whack jobs. Keep your cat on your damn property. I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, AND I DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The SugarJarJuly 24, 2011 - 4:54 pm

You gave the right to trap and take to the shelter. You personally don't have the right to kill the animal. There are many humane, and less time-consuming ways to handle keeping unwanted cats away. Cats are roaming animals and generally local laws take that into consideration. It would be wise to check out what you can legally do. It would also be wise to consider that being the type if neighbor you'd want to have.

• ladysJuly 24, 2011 - 3:22 pm

IF YOU DO NOT SPAY/NEUTER YOUR CATS AND THEY DROP A LITTER ON MY PROPERTY - THEY WILL ALL BE KILLED. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ANIMAL SHELTER WOULD DO WITH A BUNCH OF FERAL CATS? TAKE CARE OF YOUR DAMN CATS!

• shockedJuly 24, 2011 - 4:07 pm

Wow "ladys" you are the insane one - not because of you hate cats but because of your reaction and tone in your posts...

• MarciJuly 27, 2011 - 7:39 am

She's a sicko. Maybe she should be disposed of.....

• hamAugust 19, 2011 - 10:21 am

I don't have my kids use the bathroom on my neighbors lawn, so they should follow the law and HOA by keeping their animals off my property, that I work very hard to keep nice. This is a "no brainer" people! If you love your cats, keep them safe in your home!

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 12:39 pm

What law are you referring to?

• T.JAugust 19, 2011 - 1:07 pm

I had a nieghbor who's cat wouldn't stay out of my garden. Same old story with him as with other cat owners. They like to roam and this and that and when she is out you a cat is a cat and blah,blah,blah. So I trapped it and took it into the shelter. I waited 3 days then told him what I did. They charged him to get it out plus he had to get it spayed. Never saw it in my garden again, he kept her in the house from then on.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 1:32 pm

Several of our neighbor's cats hand out in our yard daily. I've never had a problem with it. I actually enjoy them. Our cat visits many of our neighbors. Everyone loves her. We've never had a complaint. I think I'll stay in my neighborhood.

• T.JAugust 19, 2011 - 2:13 pm

Good for you and your nieghborhood. I do feel though that I shouldn't have to step in cat crap when in my own backyard or in my own garden because other people don't have a problem with it. Keep your cats in the house.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 2:56 pm

It isn't that difficult to keep cats out of your yard humanely and be a good neighbor. Probably takes less time than the inhumane methods but it does require you to do a minor amount of research to find out what you can do differently. Unfortunately the problem probably isn't so much what the cats do as what you really just want an excuse to do.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 2:59 pm

Sugar, so true. Personally, it seems like much ado about nothing.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 3:39 pm

Mistreating, injuring, or killing an animal when there are other ways to deal with the issue is absolutely not acceptable. I agree that not everyone is bothered by a cat acting to its nature. And many of those who are see a bigger picture and choose to rid their yards of cat using one or more humane means to do so. Being temporarily ignorant is forgivable. Choosing to be deliberately cruel or deliberately ignorant is not.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 2:26 pm

Different strokes.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 19, 2011 - 3:52 pm

Sugar, agreed! Personally, I'm not bothered by any animal acting to its nature. Unless, of course, that nature includes trying to eat me.

• The SugarJarAugust 19, 2011 - 4:19 pm

:). I agree that steps should be taken to prevent being eaten!!

Congressman talks Travis, water

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 4 Comments | Gallery

Travis lines up 2 days of aviation excellence

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Appreciate how good we have it now

By Angela Borchert | From Page: A2

Dixon May Fair has deals on advance tickets

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Garamendi talks love, pro football and Peace Corps

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 4 Comments | Gallery

Author to sign books at Vacaville Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Kroc Center women schedule inaugural Taster Tea

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Docents to lead paddling tour in marsh

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Juneteenth committee extends vendors, exhibitors deadline

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Congressional Art Competition is back

Spilled tomato juice case set for trial

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 5 Comments

Theme park welcomes seal pup

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Suisun City police log: April 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: April 21, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 21, 2014

Weather for Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 22, 2014

Syrian activists accuse Assad of new gas attacks

Murder charge for Vallejo man in head-on crash

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California bill reignites affirmative action fight

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 3 Comments

Andy Lopez protest leads to school campus lockdown

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 3 Comments

Navy Cross bestowed on heroic Marine

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Airport official: Teen had no clue he was in Maui

US weighs clemency for inmates jailed for 10 years

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Gun carry rights expanded in Ga. under new law

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 4 Comments

First lady announces one-stop job site for vets

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Rail safety effort marred by squabbling

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Small Wyoming town evacuated after gas explosion

Bashtag: NYPD Twitter campaign backfires

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Soldier convicted in WikiLeaks case gets new name

Lawyer: US man held in Cuba seeks to go home soon

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Captain who left doomed ferry had 40 years at sea

Russian social media CEO quits, flees country

Amid Russia warning, Ukraine is in a security bind

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Palestinian rivals to try again for unity deal

Camilla’s brother dies in US after head injury

State senators get ethics training after scandals

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12, 7 Comments

Question of the week: Will Flight 370 be found?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Be the first and give specifics

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

What we can do about crime

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11, 14 Comments

Castro at odds with mentor on deportations

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11

Some Earth Day boos and cheers

By Jay Ambrose | From Page: A11

Today in History for April 24, 2014

Community Calendar: April 24, 2014

When Joe’s mad at me, he also ignores my 7-year-old son

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes for April 24, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Jodie Foster weds artist Alexandra Hedison

Singer Chris Brown’s DC trial delayed for months

Performing dogs go big after $1 million TV prize

Amazon snares classic shows in deal with HBO

Mustangs swim to sweep of Indians

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Warriors, Clippers to meet in Oakland for Game 3

Sharks confident with chance to sweep LA Kings

Girls soccer update: Armijo, Vanden on way to playoffs

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

A’s reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer

Prep softball: Vanden rolls to 14-0 win over Fairfield

Prep badminton: Unbeaten Mustangs cruise past Crushers

Prep boys golf: Vikings suffer SCAC loss to Panthers

Sanchez’s slam in 11th helps Giants beat Rox 12-10

Prep track: Armijo girls get win in MEL 4-way meet

Perez helps Rangers sweep A’s with 3-0 win

Party a century in the making for Wrigley Field

Emmert supports more efficient, effective NCAA

Phelps having fun in his return to swimming

Suns’ Dragic honored as NBA’s Most Improved Player

Seahawks to open NFL season vs. Packers

Oldest living ex-MLB player dies in Cuba at 102

Wellness programs grow more popular with employers

Sales of new US homes plunge 14.5 percent in March

Buffett disapproves of Coca-Cola’s pay plan

Amazon snares classic shows in deal with HBO

US stocks edge lower after a six-day rise

Facebook 1Q results soar; CFO to step down

Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock

By The Associated Press | From Page: B6, 1 Comment