Web_OurView_YourView

Letters to editor

Boycott Suisun City fireworks stands

I would like to submit a request to my fellow citizens of Fairfield.

So far, our city leaders have failed to allow us the personal legal use of fireworks to celebrate our Fourth of July. My neighbors and I would love to put together a little show for our grandkids and other children in our neighborhood. But as we strive to be law-abiding citizens and teach our kids proper behavior and respect for the law, we don’t do it.

Sure we have taken them to the shows, such as they are, with crowds and wind blowing away the displays. But we’re hoping to be allowed another option.

Many of you ignore the law, going ahead with your pyromania-like celebration anyway. I suppose you do so because it’s more fun for you and the kids than teaching them responsibility and then, oh yeah, there’s that nagging illegal part. I don’t know, maybe there probably haven’t been too many if any citations issued for that practice? Police Department: Please correct me if I’m wrong and support that with numbers. Thanks.

A lot of you probably buy those fireworks at the stands in Suisun City where their city has not only allowed their use, but welcomed those groups wanting to sell them. I like supporting Suisun City, but where is the justice here? Using our local decision-makers’ argument against other issues, you’re allowing them to have this product across the street, and then telling us it’s OK for them but not us?

This could be a political issue where Suisun City could lose revenue as we begin seeing stands in our city. That would be something our local leaders must work out. In the meantime, sorry, Suisun City, but I would ask every citizen of Fairfield first, don’t break the law in any manner, and second, don’t patronize the Suisun City or any other fireworks stands until we are allowed to use those fireworks here legally.

Chris Brooks

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• archieMay 31, 2014 - 6:59 am

Sometimes you strive to be overly politically correct Mr. Brooks. That will make a normal fella like myself be more concerned and cautious of gentleman like yourself than others. Anyways, I think i agree when I decipher all the political correctness. Next time just say whats the big frickin deal with sparklers?

• CD BrooksMay 31, 2014 - 7:19 am

archie, this letter ran back in February as I was hoping to get some attention for the issue. I know the powers-that-be read this stuff so my hope was that they might hold a special session or just change the ordinance so we can all participate legally. SO Ms. Moy Mr. Price et al, what's the big frickin deal with sparklers?! ;)

• JagMay 31, 2014 - 7:00 am

That would be a fair question to ask these new candidates like Martinez. If you win will you allow fire work stands? Now is the time to get them on record

• LarryMay 31, 2014 - 8:12 am

Chris Brooks, I welcome your allegiance to follow the Fairfield ordinance of banning fireworks in this city. However, Suisun City is govern by its own government not Fairfield. It is wrong for you to suggest that we who live in Fairfield to not patronize Suisun City or any other fireworks stand until Fairfield are allowed to use fireworks legally. I suggest that you start your campaign in Fairfield to have this ordinance changed. Your first stop should be the Fairfield City Council Meeting. I will continue to buy my fireworks, and enjoy the Annual Firework Display, spend my money in the Suisun City.

• CD BrooksMay 31, 2014 - 9:57 pm

Larry, you're kidding right? No I am not wrong. If you purchase fireworks from any stand anywhere and use them in Fairfield then it is YOU that is wrong. I am not attempting to punish anyone, I just believe that if PD is not going to enforce laws then let people know that and step aside. I hope FPD doesn't decide to punish offenders on your street while your enjoying your illegal activity.

• S KMay 31, 2014 - 8:15 am

So I take it that these firework stands only sell stuff like sparklers, no firecrackers, or bottle rockets, or my GAWD, M80s, that we hear ALREADY on occasion, rocking the house, some miscreant in the vicinity of Gadwall that likes to fire off firecrackers that they must have piled up from New Years or last Jul 4th. I wish, and I am sure that my little Jack Russell buddy also wishes that the SPD would plant a patrol car nearby and nail those PIAs.

• Mr. PracticalMay 31, 2014 - 9:11 am

SK, safe & sane do not explode. They do not go more than sparks do not go more than 4 feet in the air and nothing (like bottle rockets) that are airborne. The noise is also restricted to a certain limit. If the simple safety instructions are followed, there is little risk of fire or injury.

• Mr. PracticalMay 31, 2014 - 8:35 am

CD, I'm not sure how punishing Suisun sends a message to Fairfield's leadership? The purpose of the sale of,safe & sane create funding for Suisun's Independence Day event. Without it, the event does not happen. The event, along with Fairfield's parade in the morning, provide a great day for the community. To stay out of the fireworks business, the city partners with local non profits. It's a big win-win. I'm all for pushing the Fairfield City Council to create an ordinance allowing the use of safe & sane fireworks. Having worked one of the fireworks booths the year before last, I know that some of the sales are going to Fairfield residents. We were very clear that their use was only allowed in Suisun City. The tricky part is if Fairfield also allows the sale of fireworks. If Suisun loses any the current revenue, the 4th of July event would be at risk and the non profits would lose valuable resources. The only way it would work is as you mention, Suisun and Fairfield city leaders worked together to ensure that Suisun gets enough of the proceeds to fund the event and make it worthwhile for the non profits to participate. The big question is... Do you have the confidence in them to do so? My suggestion would be for Fairfield to allow the use, but not the sale of safe and sane fireworks. Suisun could then share some of the additional revenue to help fund Fairfield's parade. This would help make both events bigger and better.

• JagMay 31, 2014 - 3:22 pm

Mr. Practical, For lack of a better word isn’t that picking a winner, I mean how do they decide what nonprofit gets to set up its booth and make money for that cause? Even in the nonprofit world there is computation. Wouldn’t it be more fair to charge a permit fee for every booth and use the money it brings in for the festivities on that day for both cities?

• Mr. PracticalMay 31, 2014 - 3:48 pm

Jag, they limit it to 3 non profits each year and have a lottery. If there were more than 3 booths, there wouldn't be enough proceeds to make it worth it for the non profit. It's a substantial amount of work. It takes about 450 to 500 volunteer man hours to operate the booth for the 7 or 8 days you have to sell. The city charges a 12% surcharge to pay for the for the additional work that the fire department incurs. Then product cost is 50 percent. In our case, we had to pay for the location. There are other incidental costs. The city, at least the year we did it, got 52% of the sales before those incidental expenses. That's why I'm saying, if Fairfield allowed fireworks sales we would probably only be able to have one, maybe two booths in Suisun, or it wouldn't be worth it for the non profits. And then it wouldn't generate enough money for the city to fund the 4th of July event. The only way would be to pool the resources from both cities to fund both cities events. Or, if Fairfield could approve the use of safe & sane fireworks but not the sales and make a deal with Suisun that a portion of the proceeds goes towards the Fairfield parade.

• JagMay 31, 2014 - 6:26 pm

understood and I did not think of a lottery but I guess that Is another way to keep it fair. thanks

• CD BrooksMay 31, 2014 - 9:51 pm

Mr. Practical, I really don't care about the revenue or whether Fairfield shares or even gets a dime from the sales. I just want my city to stand up and tell everyone it is okay to use fireworks here. Safe and sane would obviously be best and since they sell those in Suisun I would recommend folks buy them there. I mean no disrespect to Suisun, but our leaders are encouraging citizens to break the law so why not just drop the ordinance?

• NitPickerMay 31, 2014 - 8:43 am

Sort of reminds me of the expression: "Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face." Punish Suisun City because you live in another town?

• mike kirchubelMay 31, 2014 - 9:02 am

Chris, where should we buy them, then? I'm guessing S.F. Chinatown.

• Mr. PracticalMay 31, 2014 - 9:07 am

Mike, those would be he Unsafe & Insane fireworks. I have many stories of M80s and Cherry Bombs purchased in Chinatown during my teens.

• NeighborhoodMay 31, 2014 - 12:20 pm

Not in my neighborhood, with the dry season look at that house that caught on fire. So sad.

• CD BrooksMay 31, 2014 - 10:05 pm

As I stated earlier, members of the city council, and the mayor read "letters" and follow these comments. I am asking you to respond and tell us if you will consider my proposal? If not, could you please tell us why? Also, if you won't allow the use of fireworks and have patrols watching for them, what will the penalty be for those caught using them? Thank you.

• S KMay 31, 2014 - 10:17 pm

Doesn't appear to be any enforcement of it here in Suisun of the illegal, LOUD, firecracker or larger type. Heard them going off again this early evening around Gadwall, a hot bed for that illegal activity. Lucky for my aging, nearing 15 yr. old K9 pal, that he has either gotten used to them, doesn't care anymore, or becoming hard of hearing. I can remember him trembling, and that made me mad enough to chew nails!!!!!!!

• SueBabyJune 25, 2014 - 3:28 pm

Ummm.. Join Macedonia Church of God in Christ us as we celebrate our 1st annual 4th of July Fireworks Fundraiser June 28th -July 4th Raley's Shopping Center 250 Sunset Avenue Suisun City, CA 94585 Free Fun for all ages as you purchase your July 4th Celebration fireworks!

• CD BrooksJune 25, 2014 - 4:01 pm

SueBaby, "Ummm" what? My point was to ask Fairfield citizens to keep from purchasing fireworks then using them illegally in our city. I'm just curious, are you suggesting that your "fundraiser" should override the law?

• CD BrooksJune 26, 2014 - 7:00 am

SueBaby? Fireworks will remain status illegal this year in Fairfield. Hoping our residents don't burn us out with illegal behavior after your fundraising blood money.

Special Publications »