Saturday, August 30, 2014

Belief in God is just pixie dust

Web_OurView_YourView

From page A8 | February 17, 2013 |

Mr. Lloyd Willmschen in his letter (Feb. 8, “Response to letter about faith”) might believe that some alleged entity, a god, has the power to do anything and everything. In fact, Mr. Willmschen and people around the globe openly support his wonder and glory and all he does for mankind.

Then when something terrible happens, I’m told this entity can’t be everywhere. Then someone says, “Oh yeah, the disaster is over but he is looking over you.” Then I hear, “Don’t question God, he works in mysterious ways.” Then there is the promise you will be granted a spot in heaven if you’re good. Then some poor slob comes home after his house has burned to the ground, the dog is barbecued and his boss calls to say he lost his job and he says, “Why me, Lord?” Crickets.

Then we’re told God has a bigger plan, something we can’t know or understand. Then you see the evening news and Newtown, Conn., pops up. Yeah, when they needed him most, when a real-life monster strikes, that all-powerful, all-loving God was absent . . . again. Sound eerily familiar?

You all should be really angry about this consistent lack of attention and if you’re not, then you have even bigger problems.

Then some of you will say I must be angry or sad and had something terrible happen in my life that made me this way and you’ll pray for me anyway. That really makes me laugh because with that kind of help, I’ll take my chances elsewhere. Besides, I’m very happy, quite comfortable and well-adjusted, not angry at all.

Scripture is another term for fairy tales. Your god does nothing in return for your prayers and dollars but keep your church wealthy (tax-free no less), and presents a false sense of hope for millions of people around the world.

But hey, that’s just my opinion.

CD Brooks

Fairfield

Letter to the Editor

• G-ManFebruary 13, 2013 - 5:58 am

CD always finds a way to let us know that he's well adjusted,comfortable,happy and not angry at all...we hear you already..it's not going to get you on LETTERMAN..but we hear you...not to say I understand why anyone would want to rain on another's prayer parade...if one finds comfort in belief in God..,if it helps during an illness,a loss of a loved one,or a personal crisis..then that's all the proof of God's existence one needs...

• A-WomanFebruary 13, 2013 - 10:24 am

How clever!

• It is well with my soulFebruary 13, 2013 - 6:53 am

• StR 4 U G-ManFebruary 13, 2013 - 11:54 am

I copied this so, have to plug Dave Letterman...Watch Letterman on CBS...Check out his website...OK !!!!...So here goes -- Top 10 Reasons G-Man Could Never be Pope!...Wednesday, February 13, 2013........ 10. He typically spends Sundays disabled by a hangover.............. 9. Religion isn't really his thing........... 8. He pronounces the "P" in "Psalms"........... 7. Last time God spoke to G-Man, he told G-Man to stay out of church.....(my demons push me out, just can't seem to get rid of them).......... 6. He knows nothing about Vatican, knows alot about Vicodin............. 5. He thinks "Papal" in an online payment website............4. He only wants the job as an excuse to avoid sex with the wife. 3. In times of trouble, he asks himself, "What would Keith Richards do?"............ 2. His most recent prayer: "Dear God, don't let it be herpes"............ 1. Even Jesus thinks he's a stooge....(not true Jesus loves all of us, you too CD )................Sorry Gary, do you forgive me?

• rlw895February 14, 2013 - 1:16 am

It's called theodicy, the attempt to resolve the existence of God with the existence of evil, and it's paradox has driven many a believer into agnosticism or even atheism. Bart Ehrman, author and head of the religious studies department at the University of North Carolina, followed that path. He’s written about it in some best-selling books. They are a good read.

• G-ManFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:42 am

I repeat..it's an infinite Universe..for anyone to be so short sighted as to discount anything is as short sighted as anything...We now cut to an STR post of Jack Nicholson's rant about the existence of God in WITCHES OF EASTWICK

• CD BrooksFebruary 17, 2013 - 7:21 am

Good morning G-Man! I appreciate your point of view on this matter. Since we're talking "Hollywood," I really like Alec Baldwin's chilling speech from a very good film, "Malice." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeC3BPYTmE

• S KFebruary 17, 2013 - 11:31 am

C D>>I replied on here, but I guess it was to long, so I emailed it to you :-)

• Mike kirchubelFebruary 17, 2013 - 5:55 pm

CD, sorry im late for the party. You really dont mind stepping right into a big pile of it,, do you?

• CD BrooksFebruary 17, 2013 - 5:58 pm

HA! HA! Hey Mike! No, I'm just getting equal time. I don't think folks like Mr. Willmschen should take their shot and not hear how others feel about it...

• StRFebruary 17, 2013 - 10:02 pm

What about me "stepping in it". Don't I deserve some points...let's see I have critiqued....The Illuminati...The Mossad...Luciferian/Satanists....Masons...CIA...FBI...NSA...The Military Industrial Complex...Communists...MI5/MI6...The Republican Party (especially the state GOP)...The Democrat Party.....The Republican Party...FEMA/DHS....PNAC NEOCONs....Daine Feinstein...The Committee of 300...CFR...IMF...UN...BIS..Bilderbergs and many more. Any criticism of God by CD does not bother God only in that CD chooses to possibly be lost when he could be saved.

• CD BrooksFebruary 18, 2013 - 7:08 am

STR, the whole "saving" thing is reserved for those that give a s**t and obviously I'm not one of them. Move on, I'm good. Thanks! :)

Clarksburg family rolls with times

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

State lifts Solano moth quarantine

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Gallo subsidiary wins bid for Winterhawk Winery

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B10 | Gallery

No plea as suspect in Suisun slaying appears in court

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Man is guilty of murder after his dogs kill woman

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

California teacher reprimanded for sending tweets

N. California officer accused of beating woman

California appeals teacher tenure ruling

Lawmakers pass first California groundwater rules

Lawmakers send gun restraining order bill to Brown

California marijuana grow stole reservation water

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Feds critical of California twin tunnel project

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California mentally ill inmates get special units

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Zombies are not for fun

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Armijo opens its football season with 26-7 win at San Rafael

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith suspended by NFL

No. 11 Stanford set to open season vs. UC Davis

After eventful offseason, Northwestern meets Cal Bears in opener

Prep volleyball: Vacaville Christian falls to D-I power Davis

JC women’s soccer: Solano kicks off season with 0-0 draw

Raiders face decisions at QB heading into opener

Errani’s ‘cottage cheese’ serve tops Venus at Open

Palmer opens with a 63 to lead in Boston

Pernice, Bryant share Champions Tour lead

I.K. Kim increases Portland Classic lead

A’s fall back in AL West, blanked by Angels

Posey goes 5 for 5 in 6 innings, Giants rout Brewers

This date in sports history for Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Tony Stewart back at the track, looking to heal

Hazel Gertrude Wamsley