Letters to editor

A solution for senior center fees

By From page A7 | January 29, 2013

Previously, I commented on senior citizens from outside Fairfield being charged to use the Fairfield Senior Center. As I understand, the woman who runs the senior center earns $148,000 per year, plus benefits.

If you were to reduce her salary by the amount earned from charging the seniors from out of town, I am sure she would still make a reasonable salary. What do you think? Anybody who cares for the people she takes care of would.

Alan Moore

Letter to the Editor

• ToniJanuary 25, 2013 - 4:05 pm

Being a Fairfield Resident, I have called Vallejo Senior Center,They have a membership $25.00 not counting what they have to offer is extra Vacaville Senior Center on a painting class +15 percent for non resident, Suisun Senior Center $2.00. What I'am saying Senior Centers for non residents charge a fee.

• Rick WoodJanuary 27, 2013 - 10:15 pm

Yes, let's all gang up on Sandy so out-of-towners who don't pay Fairfield taxes can save $5 per month. (In case it's not obvious, I'm being sarcastic.) Fortunately we are a country that has individual protections against the tyranny of the majority, so ideas like this one can be filed where they belong. Keep thinking!

• Tyranny of the Majority?January 29, 2013 - 9:00 pm

TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY?....Sounds like the MINORITY needs to CHANGE THEIR DIAPER! Rick Wood....your comments are a joke!

• 707truthJanuary 29, 2013 - 4:55 am

Why would we reduce anyone's pay so that people that live in other city could attend the City of Fairfield's Senior Center without charge? I'm a little lost on this one. The citizens of other cities pay taxes in other cities......not Fairfield! Tell the seniors that want to use Fairfield's Senior Center to move to Fairfield or use the senior center in their own community. Seeing how your a Fairfield resident as indicated under your name ........ Why do you care?

• Typical County WorkerJanuary 29, 2013 - 8:43 am

What it comes down to is - why is a city worker (government employee) making $ 148,000/yr to run a senior center. As I have stated before, why was this fee not an option when the city threatened to close the senior center before the local taxes were passed. Scaring old people is a great political route to take. I will probably get a “get over the tax passing” response and I will say that I am much more upset about the fact that we are scaring elderly people to get what we want. I’m surprised there wasn’t an increase of muggings around the senior center to ensure that they knew we needed more police and fire.

• Senior's scare easyJanuary 29, 2013 - 9:11 pm

So let's see..the City says if you don't pay more in taxes the Senior Center is closing, no more shuffle board, no more bingo, no more feeding the ducks at City Hall....Seniors of Fairfield need to thank Councilmember's Moy and Mraz for Measure P.....These 2 Councilmembers just took you to the Cleaners.