Sunday, April 26, 2015

Numbers interesting, but not paramount

faison column sig 2

From page A8 | January 15, 2012 |

Our new website, which went live last May, has seen 3 million page views as of last weekend, according to the folks at WordPress. That’s the open source software we use to power the site. So as we crossed the 3-million-views threshold, I thought it was time to offer an update.

I’ll focus more on you than us this time because what you’re doing is quite interesting.

One thing I should note at the outset: Site traffic numbers are somewhat subjective. By that, I mean different tools track website traffic differently. For example, I used the WordPress number because we have a WordPress site. Google cuts that number about in half. Hitting 1.5 million is fine, but 3 million has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

I took a peek at the stories that saw the most traffic from May to December 2011. I looked beyond the views each individual story received, and looked instead at how many views any story about a single topic received. Here are the Top 10:

1. Travis Dairy robbery-homicide leaves store owner dead. Our coverage began in June.

2. Officer James Capoot shot and killed in November while chasing bank robbery suspect.

3. Solano Community College student-athlete Ennis Johnson Jr. killed in September.

4. Roy Hellickson dies in July after being hit during party.

5. Two dead in September murder-suicide on Tulip Street.

6. George E. Smith dies in May after being hit by suspected drunken driver.

7. Three dead in May murder-suicide in Green Valley area of Fairfield.

8. Humorous column by C.W. Plunkett, published in May, on the anticipated end of the world.

9. Coverage of Alvina Sheeley’s background as she campaigns for the Fairfield-Suisun School Board.

10. Accident in June involving Fairfield and Suisun Transit bus injures six.

Some of these stories are ongoing, while others have run their course. 2012 has already produced a Top 10-caliber story, with our coverage of Fairfield’s first homicide of the year. If I were to plug it into the list, it would already be No. 7, well ahead of our coverage of the Green Valley murder-suicide in Fairfield.

Here are a few more tidbits:

• Our busiest day of the year on the new website was July 26, which saw 35,358 page views. The most-viewed story that day was our coverage of the massive Macro Plastics fire at the company’s facility on Stanford Court near Travis Air Force Base. A typical day sees a third of that traffic.
  • The item that received the most comments last year was an Oct. 25 post by liberal columnist Mike Kirchubel titled “Republican shape of things to come.” The column garnered more than 330 comments from those who agreed as well as those who disagreed with Kirchubel’s analysis.
  • The site has seen more than 20,000 user comments. Our most engaged commenters of 2011 were, in order and by screen name, CD Brooks, Mr. Practical, Marci, Keeping up with the Joneses and Rich Giddens.

It’s not all about the numbers. If it were, you’d only see reports of major crimes and the occasional quirky item in your daily copy of the Daily Republic. Rest assured, that’s not going to happen. We’re still going to monitor the workings of our various local governments, provide editorial comment on topics of local interest, offer a forum for your views through letters to the editor, keep you up to speed on local entertainment, write compelling features on people and activities throughout the greater Fairfield area, and keep tabs on the local sports scene.

That’s what you have come to expect. We will continue to strive, to the best of our abilities, to meet that expectation.

Reach Managing Editor Glen Faison at 427-6925 or [email protected]

Correction: This version corrects the reference to the item that received the most comments during the year.

Glen Faison

Glen Faison

Glen Faison joined the Daily Republic as managing editor in September 2009. He previously worked as a reporter and editor for daily and weekly newspapers in the San Joaquin Valley for 20-plus years. His experience includes time as editor of the Golden Eagle, a military paper serving the Lemoore Naval Air Station. He graduated from Fresno State University with a bachelor's degree in journalism and bleeds Bulldogs red. He is an avid Washington Redskins fan, and attended the 1988 NFC Championship Game against the Minnesota Vikings at RFK Stadium. He married his wife, Jill, in 2005, and has three children: Courtni, Tyler and Hayli.

• CD BrooksJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:06 am

This is a great forum to voice our opinions, share stories and "make new friends." Thank you Glen for your tireless watch-dogging and keeping us in-line. Thank you Daily Republic for providing the opportunity. Congrats CW and Mike for writing articles that garnered so much interest! Fun stuff!

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:47 am

CD, I agree on the congrats to Mike and CW. They both write outstanding humor columns! I think Save the Republic is overtaking us all. Nice work Glen!

• CD BrooksJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:56 am

NICE! ;)

• mike kirchubelJanuary 15, 2012 - 11:25 am

Mr. P, theoretically, it is not a humor column, but i understand your take on it. I would disagree with Glen's numbers - the Mexico column had more comments than money-go-round. 2012, being an election year, should be a humdinger. Can i say that - humdinger?

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 11:46 am

Mike, I meant to denote that I was joking by putting the word rimshot inside the greater and less than symbols. For some reason that didn't end up in the post. I thought about joking that you and CW both write excellent serious columns, but that wasn't as funny!

• Glen FaisonJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:02 pm

@mike kirchubel: You're correct about the Mexico column. I don't know why the other came up on the stats report. I'll check with our IT folks to see if there's some sort of bug. I've corrected the column above, and we'll have a correction in Tuesday's print edition. Thanks for pointing out the error!

• mike kirchubelJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:44 pm

It's not a big deal at all. Just keep the "comments" checks coming.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 3:00 pm

Mike, the check's in the mail. and... I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. Of course I'll respect you in the morning. It's only a cold sore. I never inhaled. It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing. Drinking? Why, no, Officer. Don't worry, he's never bitten anyone. I'll call you later.

• Fairfield's Innovation InstituteJanuary 15, 2012 - 8:36 am

We love the newer format. Thank you.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 15, 2012 - 10:47 am

This should also be good news for advertising revenue as well. Glen, us frequent comment-ees expect some "kick-back" on that. Cash is fine.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:17 pm

Jason, the silence is deafening! If Glen goes for it and pays by the word, Artimus will be a rich man!

• mike kirchubelJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:38 pm

I get fifty bucks a comment. Do you other guys get more?

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:40 pm

I think that makes you a 1 percenter!

• The SugarJarJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:59 pm

Hmm maybe some of us get paid for not commenting. ;)

• The SugarJarJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:57 pm

Interesting stats in Mr. Faison's thoroughly enjoyable rendering.

• Glen FaisonJanuary 16, 2012 - 12:54 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. I was away from Fairfield on a little vacation with my wife, and just returned to the office. I'll probably spend the rest of the day digging out! @Jason Knowles: We have no plans to do that at this time. I've heard of some news sites that charge people for the ability to comment. We have no plans to do that at this time, either. @Mr. Practical: Good observation about Artimus. @mike kirchubel: Funny! And @Mr. Practical is correct: That would make you a 1 percenter. You'd have to rethink the direction of your columns.

• mike kirchubelJanuary 16, 2012 - 3:59 pm

Glen, you are correct. If i was a 1%'er, i would have to change my direction from truth to lies in order to trick those 99%'ers into voting against their own interests and for mine. I would have to become a Republican and possibly change my name to... something like Star Parker Sowell. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• The SugarJarJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:12 pm

I think my understanding of 1%er is a little different, as it would take more than $50 a comment here to get there. :)

• Glen FaisonJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:12 pm

@ mike kirchubel: You know as well as I do that there are shades of gray in all of this, as opposed to the "truth" and "lies" as you call them. Both parties are guilty of playing fast and loose with the truth to suit their purposes. The rest of us have to sort it all out.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:16 pm

This would be where Mike shirks it off with a witty aside!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:23 pm

I think you have Mike confused with someone who's witty.

• Mike KirchubelJanuary 18, 2012 - 10:24 pm

Unfortunately my witticisms are usually an affront, rather than an aside.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 19, 2012 - 6:25 am

I was trying to be kind!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:18 pm

The truth hurts, doesn't it Mike?You're so puffed up with sanctimonious indignation over the wealthy, that you'd rather cut your nose to spite your face than admit the wealthy create jobs and spur the economy. Utopian visions of equality do not work and have never worked. But evidently, you are no student of history.

• SavetheRepublicJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:33 pm

Different day same ole t-h-a-n-g............................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4pKmHQaRA

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:24 pm

I gotcha Mr. P. I consider that a compliment. I guess I can't be accused of being vague or cavilier. ;)

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Or setting up Straw Men!

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:08 pm

Mr. P...you have never caught me in a straw man situation however I have got you on several controdictory statements where you were on the wall with no place to go... ;)

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:11 pm

Artimus, I wasn't accusing of doing it, just teasing you about using the term often. As far as being on the wall with no place to go... I jump!

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 8:30 pm

I am sorry Mr. P...I was having fun also..LOL..and I must say you jump very well.

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:00 pm

WOW, very cool...I have only just read this & was susprised to see "Keeping up with the Joneses" listed. I have a bit of a problem. The problem is following Marci. No problem with CD & Mr. P but Marci? Did you count all my other screen names?

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 7:45 am

Joneses, you couldn't keep up with me even wearing Michelle Obama's $500 sneakers. :)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 8:04 am

Maybe so Marci. But wait till you see how fast the Obamas run away from the pack in their reelection victory! :)

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 8:38 am

CD, independents, who pushed Obama over the winning line last time, have awakened to the false promises and divisiveness that are the cornerstones of Obamaville. They see a president who knows and cares nothing about the economy and jobs, but who focuses on how to make us weak and more beholden to the bloated government. They see a failed president with no record, no achievements, and no aspirations to keep us strong.

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:22 pm

Marci, and yet, he will still win.

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:53 pm

Everyone should have a dream, CD. But you'd be better off picking something more realistic. :)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 6:53 pm

• ArtimusJanuary 17, 2012 - 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness..C.D. are you ok that was an ugly fall.. ;)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 9:30 pm

Artimus, I am great thank you, I always land on my feet. My incredible speed, agility and cat-like reflexes are legendary. My quest to bring you all into the Democratic family is succeeding beyond anything I could have hoped for and our victory will be exhilarating!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:22 pm

Americans are wising up to the Obama pattern of lies. They also see how how high-on-the-hog the Obamas live. Michelle "Antoinette" is further alienating their base.

• LilJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:12 pm

Wow, you guys are famous now! Can I have your autographs?

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:44 pm

Ouch...And sure... "Keeping up with the Joneses" You can print it if you like... :) I do a really good CD... "CD Brooks" Not bad ehhh... You can do Marci... Have a good one Lil...

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:45 am

I'm thinking of parlaying my new found fame into a chain of Italian fast food restaurants called Mr. Practicali's. The signature dish.... wait for it.... Deep-fried Lasagne!!!

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 18, 2012 - 6:42 am

You mean like this... Comes with a free trial of a diabetes drug from Novo Nordisk... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/deep-fried-lasagna-recipe/index.html

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 18, 2012 - 7:11 am

I think Paula plagerized that recipe. It doesn't require a stick of butter!

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 18, 2012 - 10:16 am

Maybe the butter is for Deep Fried Butter...You have to have Dessert...

Children enjoy day of fishing at Fairfield pond

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Solano cities celebrate Earth Day

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Hard-fought battle ends in victory

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Those addictive, terrible, wonderful smartphones

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Expo shows Kroc Center fun for whole Framily

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Police, faith groups look to change troubled neighborhoods

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Edibles in your landscape

By Daily Republic | From Page: C4

CHP offers free class for senior drivers

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Supervisors consider changes in various county fees

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Suisun police execute tobacco sting

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4

Covered California offers Solano enrollment events

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Patrons raise a glass to toast a good cause

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Walk MS hits stride along Suisun waterfront

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Weather for Sunday, April 26, 2015

Be wary of next ‘big’ thing

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Pay close attention to investment costs

By Mark Sievers | From Page: B7

With legalization, lawyers turn to business of pot

Spring storm delivers late rain, snow to Northern California

Remains of dismembered newborn found in South Los Angeles

Starbucks stores reopen Saturday after computer glitch

Nearly 17 million watch Jenner interview

‘Operation Babylift’ kids, soldiers reunite 40 years later

Aden hit by coalition airstrikes amid fierce street battles

Mother in custody dispute freed after 8 years behind bars

A dozen arrested as Freddie Gray protests turn violent

Italy marks 70th anniversary of anti-Nazi uprising

European authorities stop illegal horse meat network

Italian navy rescues 274 from migrant ship off Libyan coast

Army shutting down wounded warrior transition care units

Warrior pose: Yoga catching on as therapy for veterans’ PTSD

By The Washington Post | From Page: B10

Toll climbs after powerful quake hits Nepal: Things to Know

How can we give them more?

By Brian Thiemer | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Primary challenge could force Harris’ hand

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for April 26, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Corruption tarnishes values of our ancestors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Obama sides with enemy

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Who’s asleep at the switch?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Today in history: Sunday, April 26

Brides show short wedding gowns more of the love

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Community Calendar: April 26, 2015

Vatican goes on offensive to defend US-Spanish saint

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

You get what you need with Jesus

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3

How can I trust my husband after he texted a younger woman behind my back?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Horoscope: April 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Veterinarians are too expensive, and it puts pets at risk

By The Washington Post | From Page: C5

Old standby body-weight training still has moves

By The Washington Post | From Page: C7

Milan spiffs up for Expo 2015

By The Associated Press | From Page: C7

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

More copies of Laura Ingalls Wilder memoir being printed

Amber Tamblyn writes book of poetry about dead actresses

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Giants beat Rockies 5-4 in 11 innings

Warriors complete sweep with 109-98 win over Pelicans

Athletics drop 3rd straight game, 9-3 to Astros

Rain postpones NASCAR race at Richmond until Sunday

Bulldogs get 10-0 baseball win over Panthers

Canadian teen Henderson has 1-shot lead in LPGA Tour event

Klitschko outpoints Jennings to defend heavyweight titles

Michael Schumacher’s son makes strong Formula 4 debut

US routs Canada 7-2 in semifinal at under-18 hockey worlds

Watford back in Premier League after 8-year absence

Several Kentucky Derby hopefuls get workouts in before rain

Levy falters at Volvo China Open; 4 tied for lead

Former Expos executive Jim Fanning dies at 87

Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam team to lead Legends of Golf

Compton, Day top leaderboard in rain-plagued Zurich Classic

Suzuki breaks Oh’s record for runs by a Japanese player

A’s place Ben Zobrist on disabled list with knee injury

7 players from Royals, White Sox punished by MLB for brawl

Hometown report: Bicycle racing, youth track

Bowling report for April 26, 2015

Bayless’ layup at buzzer gives Bucks 92-90 win over Bulls

Nets beat Hawks 91-83, pull within 2-1 in series

Grizzlies hold off a late Trail Blazers rally to go up 3-0

Sports on TV for Sunday, April 26, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

This date in sports history for April 26

Veggies take center plate as healthy fast food chains expand

What’s in a hotel name? Guests try to decipher the mystery

Is ice cream safe? Federal health officials say yes

Don’t panic, college seniors: Jobs for grads likely to grow

Elizabeth Cepeda