Thursday, August 21, 2014

Numbers interesting, but not paramount

faison column sig 2

From page A8 | January 15, 2012 |

Our new website, which went live last May, has seen 3 million page views as of last weekend, according to the folks at WordPress. That’s the open source software we use to power the site. So as we crossed the 3-million-views threshold, I thought it was time to offer an update.

I’ll focus more on you than us this time because what you’re doing is quite interesting.

One thing I should note at the outset: Site traffic numbers are somewhat subjective. By that, I mean different tools track website traffic differently. For example, I used the WordPress number because we have a WordPress site. Google cuts that number about in half. Hitting 1.5 million is fine, but 3 million has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

I took a peek at the stories that saw the most traffic from May to December 2011. I looked beyond the views each individual story received, and looked instead at how many views any story about a single topic received. Here are the Top 10:

1. Travis Dairy robbery-homicide leaves store owner dead. Our coverage began in June.

2. Officer James Capoot shot and killed in November while chasing bank robbery suspect.

3. Solano Community College student-athlete Ennis Johnson Jr. killed in September.

4. Roy Hellickson dies in July after being hit during party.

5. Two dead in September murder-suicide on Tulip Street.

6. George E. Smith dies in May after being hit by suspected drunken driver.

7. Three dead in May murder-suicide in Green Valley area of Fairfield.

8. Humorous column by C.W. Plunkett, published in May, on the anticipated end of the world.

9. Coverage of Alvina Sheeley’s background as she campaigns for the Fairfield-Suisun School Board.

10. Accident in June involving Fairfield and Suisun Transit bus injures six.

Some of these stories are ongoing, while others have run their course. 2012 has already produced a Top 10-caliber story, with our coverage of Fairfield’s first homicide of the year. If I were to plug it into the list, it would already be No. 7, well ahead of our coverage of the Green Valley murder-suicide in Fairfield.

Here are a few more tidbits:

• Our busiest day of the year on the new website was July 26, which saw 35,358 page views. The most-viewed story that day was our coverage of the massive Macro Plastics fire at the company’s facility on Stanford Court near Travis Air Force Base. A typical day sees a third of that traffic.
  • The item that received the most comments last year was an Oct. 25 post by liberal columnist Mike Kirchubel titled “Republican shape of things to come.” The column garnered more than 330 comments from those who agreed as well as those who disagreed with Kirchubel’s analysis.
  • The site has seen more than 20,000 user comments. Our most engaged commenters of 2011 were, in order and by screen name, CD Brooks, Mr. Practical, Marci, Keeping up with the Joneses and Rich Giddens.

It’s not all about the numbers. If it were, you’d only see reports of major crimes and the occasional quirky item in your daily copy of the Daily Republic. Rest assured, that’s not going to happen. We’re still going to monitor the workings of our various local governments, provide editorial comment on topics of local interest, offer a forum for your views through letters to the editor, keep you up to speed on local entertainment, write compelling features on people and activities throughout the greater Fairfield area, and keep tabs on the local sports scene.

That’s what you have come to expect. We will continue to strive, to the best of our abilities, to meet that expectation.

Reach Managing Editor Glen Faison at 427-6925 or gfaison@dailyrepublic.net.

Correction: This version corrects the reference to the item that received the most comments during the year.

Glen Faison

Glen Faison

Glen Faison joined the Daily Republic as managing editor in September 2009. He has worked as a reporter and editor for daily and weekly newspapers in the San Joaquin Valley for 20-plus years. His experience includes time as editor of the Golden Eagle, a military paper serving the Lemoore Naval Air Station. He graduated from Fresno State University with a bachelor's degree in journalism and bleeds Bulldogs red. He is an avid Washington Redskins fan, and attended the 1988 NFC Championship Game against the Minnesota Vikings at RFK Stadium. He married his wife, Jill, in 2005, and has three children: Courtni, Tyler and Hayli.

• CD BrooksJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:06 am

This is a great forum to voice our opinions, share stories and "make new friends." Thank you Glen for your tireless watch-dogging and keeping us in-line. Thank you Daily Republic for providing the opportunity. Congrats CW and Mike for writing articles that garnered so much interest! Fun stuff!

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:47 am

CD, I agree on the congrats to Mike and CW. They both write outstanding humor columns! I think Save the Republic is overtaking us all. Nice work Glen!

• CD BrooksJanuary 15, 2012 - 7:56 am

NICE! ;)

• mike kirchubelJanuary 15, 2012 - 11:25 am

Mr. P, theoretically, it is not a humor column, but i understand your take on it. I would disagree with Glen's numbers - the Mexico column had more comments than money-go-round. 2012, being an election year, should be a humdinger. Can i say that - humdinger?

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 11:46 am

Mike, I meant to denote that I was joking by putting the word rimshot inside the greater and less than symbols. For some reason that didn't end up in the post. I thought about joking that you and CW both write excellent serious columns, but that wasn't as funny!

• Glen FaisonJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:02 pm

@mike kirchubel: You're correct about the Mexico column. I don't know why the other came up on the stats report. I'll check with our IT folks to see if there's some sort of bug. I've corrected the column above, and we'll have a correction in Tuesday's print edition. Thanks for pointing out the error!

• mike kirchubelJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:44 pm

It's not a big deal at all. Just keep the "comments" checks coming.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 3:00 pm

Mike, the check's in the mail. and... I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. Of course I'll respect you in the morning. It's only a cold sore. I never inhaled. It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing. Drinking? Why, no, Officer. Don't worry, he's never bitten anyone. I'll call you later.

• Fairfield's Innovation InstituteJanuary 15, 2012 - 8:36 am

We love the newer format. Thank you.

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 15, 2012 - 10:47 am

This should also be good news for advertising revenue as well. Glen, us frequent comment-ees expect some "kick-back" on that. Cash is fine.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:17 pm

Jason, the silence is deafening! If Glen goes for it and pays by the word, Artimus will be a rich man!

• mike kirchubelJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:38 pm

I get fifty bucks a comment. Do you other guys get more?

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:40 pm

I think that makes you a 1 percenter!

• The SugarJarJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:59 pm

Hmm maybe some of us get paid for not commenting. ;)

• The SugarJarJanuary 15, 2012 - 2:57 pm

Interesting stats in Mr. Faison's thoroughly enjoyable rendering.

• Glen FaisonJanuary 16, 2012 - 12:54 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. I was away from Fairfield on a little vacation with my wife, and just returned to the office. I'll probably spend the rest of the day digging out! @Jason Knowles: We have no plans to do that at this time. I've heard of some news sites that charge people for the ability to comment. We have no plans to do that at this time, either. @Mr. Practical: Good observation about Artimus. @mike kirchubel: Funny! And @Mr. Practical is correct: That would make you a 1 percenter. You'd have to rethink the direction of your columns.

• mike kirchubelJanuary 16, 2012 - 3:59 pm

Glen, you are correct. If i was a 1%'er, i would have to change my direction from truth to lies in order to trick those 99%'ers into voting against their own interests and for mine. I would have to become a Republican and possibly change my name to... something like Star Parker Sowell. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• The SugarJarJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:12 pm

I think my understanding of 1%er is a little different, as it would take more than $50 a comment here to get there. :)

• Glen FaisonJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:12 pm

@ mike kirchubel: You know as well as I do that there are shades of gray in all of this, as opposed to the "truth" and "lies" as you call them. Both parties are guilty of playing fast and loose with the truth to suit their purposes. The rest of us have to sort it all out.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:16 pm

This would be where Mike shirks it off with a witty aside!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:23 pm

I think you have Mike confused with someone who's witty.

• Mike KirchubelJanuary 18, 2012 - 10:24 pm

Unfortunately my witticisms are usually an affront, rather than an aside.

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 19, 2012 - 6:25 am

I was trying to be kind!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:18 pm

The truth hurts, doesn't it Mike?You're so puffed up with sanctimonious indignation over the wealthy, that you'd rather cut your nose to spite your face than admit the wealthy create jobs and spur the economy. Utopian visions of equality do not work and have never worked. But evidently, you are no student of history.

• SavetheRepublicJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:33 pm

Different day same ole t-h-a-n-g............................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4pKmHQaRA

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:24 pm

I gotcha Mr. P. I consider that a compliment. I guess I can't be accused of being vague or cavilier. ;)

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Or setting up Straw Men!

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:08 pm

Mr. P...you have never caught me in a straw man situation however I have got you on several controdictory statements where you were on the wall with no place to go... ;)

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 16, 2012 - 7:11 pm

Artimus, I wasn't accusing of doing it, just teasing you about using the term often. As far as being on the wall with no place to go... I jump!

• ArtimusJanuary 16, 2012 - 8:30 pm

I am sorry Mr. P...I was having fun also..LOL..and I must say you jump very well.

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:00 pm

WOW, very cool...I have only just read this & was susprised to see "Keeping up with the Joneses" listed. I have a bit of a problem. The problem is following Marci. No problem with CD & Mr. P but Marci? Did you count all my other screen names?

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 7:45 am

Joneses, you couldn't keep up with me even wearing Michelle Obama's $500 sneakers. :)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 8:04 am

Maybe so Marci. But wait till you see how fast the Obamas run away from the pack in their reelection victory! :)

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 8:38 am

CD, independents, who pushed Obama over the winning line last time, have awakened to the false promises and divisiveness that are the cornerstones of Obamaville. They see a president who knows and cares nothing about the economy and jobs, but who focuses on how to make us weak and more beholden to the bloated government. They see a failed president with no record, no achievements, and no aspirations to keep us strong.

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:22 pm

Marci, and yet, he will still win.

• MarciJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:53 pm

Everyone should have a dream, CD. But you'd be better off picking something more realistic. :)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 6:53 pm

• ArtimusJanuary 17, 2012 - 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness..C.D. are you ok that was an ugly fall.. ;)

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2012 - 9:30 pm

Artimus, I am great thank you, I always land on my feet. My incredible speed, agility and cat-like reflexes are legendary. My quest to bring you all into the Democratic family is succeeding beyond anything I could have hoped for and our victory will be exhilarating!

• MarciJanuary 18, 2012 - 1:22 pm

Americans are wising up to the Obama pattern of lies. They also see how how high-on-the-hog the Obamas live. Michelle "Antoinette" is further alienating their base.

• LilJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:12 pm

Wow, you guys are famous now! Can I have your autographs?

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 16, 2012 - 9:44 pm

Ouch...And sure... "Keeping up with the Joneses" You can print it if you like... :) I do a really good CD... "CD Brooks" Not bad ehhh... You can do Marci... Have a good one Lil...

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 17, 2012 - 5:45 am

I'm thinking of parlaying my new found fame into a chain of Italian fast food restaurants called Mr. Practicali's. The signature dish.... wait for it.... Deep-fried Lasagne!!!

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 18, 2012 - 6:42 am

You mean like this... Comes with a free trial of a diabetes drug from Novo Nordisk... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/deep-fried-lasagna-recipe/index.html

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 18, 2012 - 7:11 am

I think Paula plagerized that recipe. It doesn't require a stick of butter!

• Keeping up with the JonesesJanuary 18, 2012 - 10:16 am

Maybe the butter is for Deep Fried Butter...You have to have Dessert...

Railroad crossing stalemate continues

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1

First day back to school brings laughter, jitters

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Potrero Hills Landfill legal appeals exhausted

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1

Breakfast after the Bell wins support

By Mayrene Bates | From Page: A2, 1 Comment

Suisun city employees get pay raise

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fairfield candidates hear about lean, nimble city staff

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Free e-waste collection to benefit Scarlet Brigade

Fairfield mayor to appear at GOP dinner

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Girls on the Run seeks volunteer life coaches

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A4

College finalizes police department takeover, OKs bond plan

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Weather for Aug. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B10

Fairfield police log: Aug. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 19, 2014

Militants use British killer as propaganda

Governor criticizes new-hire pension enhancements

US mission to rescue hostages in Syria failed

US official: More airstrikes in Iraq

Beheading spurs new attacks on Islamic militants

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

School sorry for making special ed kids sort trash

Police seek mystery pair in selfies after burglary

Teens deny threatening boy in school shooting plot

Panel OKs state librarian despite initial concerns

North Korea insults John Kerry over his looks

Ukrainian govt troops take over much of Luhansk

Picture emerges of officer in Ferguson shooting

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 2 Comments

Navy kicks out 34 for nuke cheating

CHP says officer may face serious beating charges

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

8 homes destroyed, 1,500 threatened by wildfire

Drought has state debating its unregulated pumping

Holder says he understands mistrust of police

Liberian slums barricaded as Ebola sets new record

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 21, 2014

California needs pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Tell the story, don’t be it

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A7

We’re spending way too much on raising our kids

By Megan Mcardle | From Page: A7

Today in History: Aug. 21, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 21, 2014

Horoscopes: Aug. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Why do parents drink alcohol after their children’s games?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Emmys: Billy Crystal to pay tribute to Williams

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

And the Emmy winners are…? We’re happy to guess!

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Aniston, Hamm, Hudson set to Stand Up to Cancer

Peavy pitches Giants to 8-3 win over Cubs

WR Stevie Johnson adds depth to 49ers

Fairfield boxer Avila set to put perfect 15-0 record on the line

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Giants win protest, rain-shortened game to resume Thursday

A’s stumble and must regroup with Angels coming

Raiders FB Reece’s injury not as bad as feared

Reality check for Phelps at Pan Pacific Champs

Kent State starting center dies at 21

Serena Williams seeded No. 1 at US Open; Halep 2nd

Tony Stewart skipping 3rd straight race after Ward’s death

Las Vegas spoils Mo’ne’s night, beats Philly 8-1

Sharks F Torres undergoes surgery on right knee

US routs Dominicans in exhibition as Rose rests

Schilling blames chewing tobacco for mouth cancer

Sports on TV for Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B4

This date in sports history for Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014

BofA reaches $17B settlement with US

Brine firm sues over biblical fracking billboard

Apple’s stock bounces back to hit a new high

David G. Gibson