VACAVILLE — A Thursday morning fire destroyed a single-family home and a nearby outbuilding on rural Elizabeth Road northeast of Vacaville, but the single occupant got out without injury, according to the Dixon Fire Department.
A teen who was at home at the time noticed that the lights started flickering at about 10:40 a.m. and then checked the back of his house to find the fire already burning the structure, according to neighbors.
“I was driving by when I saw the whole house aflame and the guy was outside,” said Leopoldo Galvan, who could feel the heat of the flames from the road.
Galvan helped move animals and some equipment away from the burning structure, which created a tall plume of black smoke that could be seen from Fairfield. No people or animals were injured during the fire.
“Most of these houses have propane tanks. We are lucky this is one of the few that did not,” Galvan said, adding that some of the trees that shaded the house were also on fire.
Dixon and Vacaville firefighters got to the scene on the 2300 block of Elizabeth Road just north of Midway Road only to find half the house already burning. They initially worked to keep the fire from expanding to other nearby structures, according to Dixon Fire Chief Aaron McAlister.
Firefighters from Winters and Davis were also called in to fight the blaze.
Where specifically the fire started and how it was started was still under investigation, according to McAlister.
Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ithompsondr.