VACAVILLE — A stove-top cooking oil fire escalated Thursday into a blaze that caused an estimated $150,000 in damage to a Vacaville house.
The fire at 1151 Creekside Drive was reported to emergency officials at 10:25 a.m. It spread so quickly from the stove that the residents soon evacuated. Firefighters arrived within five minutes and found flames coming out the front door entrance.
Two residents were at the home and thought they had turned off a stove burner they had been using to heat cooking oil, Vacaville Deputy Fire Chief John Jansen said. They left the immediate area to do other things. But apparently, the stove was still on and the oil caught fire.
Fire went up a wall and laterally through about one-third of the home, Jansen said. Fire got into the attic.
The Vacaville Fire Department responded with three engines and a ladder truck and about 15 firefighters. Jansen said that firefighters controlled the fire in about 10 minutes and there were no injuries.
Most of the damage took place inside the house, with the exterior of the dark-brown, single-story stucco building remaining intact. Jansen said the estimated loss is $100,000 for the structure and $50,000 for contents.
Three people lived in the house, Jansen said. Insurance company officials showed up before firefighters left to work with the residents to get a place to stay and to board up the burned structure, he said.
Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.