SUISUN CITY — A fire Monday night burned a backyard storage shed and damaged a palm tree but didn’t reach the house on the 600 block of Klamath Drive, Suisun City Fire Chief Mike O’Brien said.
Max Tanzo, 67, a retired mechanic for Bay Area Rapid Transit, lives in the house and was upstairs after returning from golfing when he said the arrival of firefighters alerted him to the blaze in his backyard.
Next door neighbor Ruth Forney said firefighters responded quickly to the fire reported at 8:18 p.m.
“It could have easily jumped that fence,” she said.
“It was scary,” Forney said. “It was so close to us.”
Chief O’Brien estimated damages from the fire at $8,000. The burning palm tree was a concern because the trees can throw off all sorts of sparks, he said.
The chief said he doesn’t know if a cause for the fire will be found.
The Suisun Fire Protection District and Fairfield Fire Department also responded to the fire, O’Brien said.
Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.