Tuesday, October 21, 2014

County cites man after cat goes missing in Suisun

17 cat poisoning 1

Jenelle Kindt holds her cat, Marsh Cat, at her home in Suisun City Wednesday. Kindt found Marsh Cat, who went missing around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, in her neighbor's yard in a cage trap, next to a small bowl containing what she described as a greenish-yellow substance mixed with tuna. Humane Animal Services cited the neighbor for alleged felony against animals in connection to the suspected trapping and poisoning of a cat. (Aaron Rosenblatt/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | July 17, 2014 |

SUISUN CITY — The mystery of the missing cats on Kinglet Street may soon be solved.

What started nine months ago with the disappearance of more than a half-dozen cats in the small east Suisun City neighborhood ended Wednesday afternoon with Humane Animal Services citing a neighbor for alleged felony against animals in connection to the suspected trapping and poisoning this week of a neighbor’s cat.

Kinglet Street resident Jenelle Kindt discovered what may have happened to the other cats when she came home Monday night to find her own feline, Marsh Cat, missing.

“I was a little worried,” said Kindt, who described Marsh Cat as an indoor cat who only went outdoors occasionally and usually greeted Kindt whenever she got home.

Kindt woke up at about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and started looking for Marsh Cat. She was soon rewarded by hearing Marsh Cat’s meows coming from the other side of a fence in her neighbor’s yard.

Looking over the fence, she said she found Marsh Cat in a cage trap, next to a small bowl containing what she described as a greenish-yellow substance mixed with tuna.

Kindt freed her cat and took Marsh Cat to a local vet for treatment, “and I think they got to her in time.”

She then filed reports with the Suisun City Police Department and the Solano County Sheriff’s Office’s Animal Care Services.

Officers from Humane Animal Services, backed up by Suisun City police, went Wednesday morning to the house of the person suspected of trapping Kindt’s cat, interviewed the man, collected the trap and other evidence, and then cited him, according to Suisun City Police Cmdr. Tim Mattos.

Once the report is finalized, the matter will be forwarded to the Solano County District Attorney’s Office for possible prosecution, said Capt. Steve Hart of Humane Animal Services.

“I am pleased with what has happened,” Kindt said.

She hopes this is the end of the danger to the neighborhood’s cats, she said.

Kindt got some financial relief after she posted a page on www.gofundme.com to raise money to pay for hefty veterinarian bills and, as of late Wednesday morning, raised what she needed from cat lovers who also left messages of support for her.

“That is great,” Kindt said. “That will help us with vet bills.”

Kinglet Street residents Lisa and Bob Favilla had their two cats disappear in October 2013, and Holly Alsbaugh lost her three cats.

Dozens of fliers posted around the neighborhood posted by the Favillas, searches and frequent checks at the Solano County Animal Shelter failed to turn up the missing cats.

Lisa Favilla was glad that the mystery surrounding her lost cats may have been solved, but said she was upset that it may have involved a neighbor.

“We were just shocked and very disappointed,” Favilla said. “Who could do something so evil? I am hoping that this is finally going to stop.”

The number of lost cats eventually climbed to eight, according to Kindt. Two of the cats were eventually found, allegedly suffering from the effects of poisoning. After local news coverage of the disappearances, Kindt thought the losses of neighborhood cats had ended – until Marsh Cat went missing and Kindt found her in the cat trap.

Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or ithompson@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ithompsondr.

Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson has worked for the Daily Republic longer than he cares to remember. A native of Oregon and a graduate of the University of Oregon, he pines for the motherland still. He covers Vacaville and Travis Air Force Base for the Daily Republic. He is an avid military history buff, wargamer and loves the great outdoors.

• Shanna WieserJuly 16, 2014 - 10:43 pm

All these cats have gone missing this neighbor is trapping and poisoning these neighbors pets and he is cited? ?? WTH THESE ARE FAMILY MEMBERS TO HIS NEIGHBORS. WHY IS HE NOT CHARGED WITH CRUELTY TO ANIMALS?

• Skeptic ScroogeJuly 17, 2014 - 2:47 am

Ungrateful! Someone should dump a ton of mice in his yard, then he will see the useful value of those cats.

• elena0utdoorsJuly 17, 2014 - 4:15 am

I'm glad you found your kitty in time, Jenelle. Wishing Marsh Cat a full & speedy recovery.

• ThemisJuly 17, 2014 - 5:12 am

The evidence is pretty compelling. The DA should file charges in this case. It is unbelievable that anyone would attempt to deal with cats in his yard in this manner. Antifreeze poisoning is a horrible and painful way for a cat to die. The man had the animal in the trap. He could have taken it to the shelter. With that said, we also need to cite individuals in Fairfield who feed but don't take responsibility to spay/neuter cats. We have a serious stray cat problem. Stray cats suffer living on the streets. If you own a cat keep it indoors! Most diseases cats get they get from other cats. Keeping your cat indoors is the only way to keep its safe from illness and from sociopaths like the neighbor in this sad story. Kindt may also file a civil lawsuit against the creep to recover her vet bills.

• 2realJuly 17, 2014 - 5:47 am

So we find out they were consistantly clawing his thousand dollar patio set....

• What?July 17, 2014 - 5:58 am

Really? This guy got the equivalent of a traffic ticket and Rich G. is looking at prison time?

• Well....Now that is funnyJuly 17, 2014 - 5:59 am

• No WonderJuly 17, 2014 - 8:36 am

They Cited him with a felony. Which means he will have to go to court on felony charges. Just because he did not get arrested and thrown in jail immediately does not mean he wont get in trouble. This is in no way "equivalent" to a traffic ticket.

• What's this aboutJuly 17, 2014 - 8:07 am

Keep your cats in your house and do not allow them to make litter boxes out of your neighbors yards. There needs to be a law regarding wandering cats they are more of a nuisance then a dog running around.

• Papa BearJuly 17, 2014 - 11:18 am

To these " Keep your cats inside " people. Not all cats that get out are let out on purpose. Some cats slip out when a door is open because they are curious. So your telling me that just because a cat poops in your yard it's justified to poison it? That's someone's pet, someone's companion, comfort animal. My 9 year old autistic son has a cat who like's to explore outside once in a while. If she ever came up missing for simply being an animal and being curious about outside, he would be heartbroken, his friend, companion, comfort would be gone. NO animal deserves to be trapped and poisoned. I'm glad this person got their cat back and it's ok. I'm also glad the neighbor is getting punished for harming his neighbors pets.

• EpJuly 17, 2014 - 11:27 am

I have a neighbor who doesn't take care of his cats and they are pooping on my lawn and garden all the time! Trust me it's annoying especially when u have a toddler wanting to play outside and the first thing I have to do is Check for poop!

• Syndi MartinJuly 18, 2014 - 9:16 pm

If your son would be heartbroken if something happened to his cat, why do you chance that by letting the cat outside? If you can't for whatever reason keep it from "escaping", get an electronic fence. Don't expose your cats to danger by letting them outside. No, that doesn't justify what happened, and nobody is suggesting it does. But its your job to protect your pets from this and other dangers. DO YOUR JOB! It just frosts my cookies to hear people talking about how their animals are trusted companions, family members, etc., and then willingly allow them to be put in harms way. When was the last time you let your little kid outside to wander around alone - and on a regular basis????

• HKJuly 17, 2014 - 12:51 pm

If cats bother you, move to a gated community or some other HOA that caters to control freaks. Cats have always been a part of neighborhoods and always will be. There is no excuse for this creep.

• paqkleaderJuly 17, 2014 - 4:42 pm

Agree 100%!!! Outdoor feral cats kill billions of native bird species every year on top of all the other critters that they kill...and in 99% of the cases they dont eat it! Love cats..but indoor cats! Letting your cats run rampant outdoors is irresponsible of pet ownership!!!

• doggluverJuly 17, 2014 - 6:56 pm

Paqkleader: First of all this IS an indoor cat. Had you read the article, maybe you would have taken note of that. Cats escape. Just like dogs escape. It would be the equivalent of a dog breaking out through a hole in the fence, and getting stuck in some baited, poisonous trap. Cat lover or cat hater, there is no excuse for this monsterous behavior. And I don't think this lady cares if you "feel bad for her". This article isn't about her. It's clearly about her cat and the other cats in her neighborhood who have fallen victim to these horrible crimes. Poison doesn't belong in tuna fish. That, alone, is a crime. Checked out her gofundme account. She is doing good things with the money she has raised: http://www.gofundme.com/bmbpao

• paqkleaderJuly 18, 2014 - 8:01 pm

“I was a little worried,” said Kindt, who described Marsh Cat as an indoor cat who only went outdoors occasionally and usually greeted Kindt whenever she got home What is occassionally? My neighbors tell me that they "occassionally" let there cats outside to play. They have six of them that go in rotation, and occassionally to them is "I leave for work in the morning and let them out, and when I come home they greet me at my car and I let them back in." Glad she is doing good things with the money collected on go fund me. I wish we had more great horned owls in the area, I bet the cats would stay indoors more often. I get tired of finding cat mess in my garden...also sucks when my responsibly kept indoor dogs(who only go out on a leash when out and about) begin to raise cain when the irresponsible neighbors next door cats are romping around outside the window, and scratching at MY door to come into MY residence! Its BS. Simple problem solver, leave the cats INSIDE. Its Great for the environment, saves on vet bills, saves on issues with your surrounding neighbors, and proves that you can be a responsible pet owner. Its proven that indoor cats live longer healthier lives, so it makes TOTAL sense to keep them housed indoors

• Mr. PracticalJuly 18, 2014 - 8:07 pm

I have an indoor/outdoor cat that is 18 and doing good. Fortunately we have better neighbors that yours.

• Jenelle KindtAugust 18, 2014 - 7:29 pm

Cats, by nature, are quick and curious creatures. Marsh Cat is an INDOOR ONLY cat who occasionally hides in wait of an open door and leaps at the chance to escape outside and play with the dogs for an hour or so. Most of the time I catch her, but 1 in 30 times, I don't. That doesn't stop me from running after her and looking for her until she comes back. Ask my neighbors. I must say I am taken aback by the lack of grace in some of these comments. Accidents happen. Cats escape, dogs escape, children run away. But the trapping and poisoning of any living being is a heinous crime and should not go unpunished. Some of you said that you don't feel sorry for me. That's alright. This is not about me. This is about my cat and the 7 others on our street who have vanished over the year. I, along with hundreds of others who have my back, will do everything in our power to see that this felony does not go unpunished.

• Mr. PracticalJuly 17, 2014 - 8:10 pm

Feral cats by definition are not pets. If the worst thing you have to complain about is your neighbors cat pooping on your lawn, consider yourself blessed.

• paqkleaderJuly 17, 2014 - 9:37 pm

imo..feral cats and outdoor pet cats are one in the same. Both destructive to native wildlife...and the ammonia smell is nasty when the crazy next door cat person has 12 "outdoor pet" cats. Cant stand irresponsible pet owners! People who let there dogs run off leash and mess all over the neighborhood without cleaning up after them are just as bad as crazy cat person. Its irresponsible!!!

• rlw895July 17, 2014 - 10:39 pm

I agree. Cats killing birds is a big problem.

• JazzAzzJuly 18, 2014 - 7:17 am

I agree, me personally I do not care for cats being a dog person, but him poisoning them was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. He should have TRAPPED THEM and taken them to the animal shelter, where more than likely after so many days, unless the owners came looking for them (Then being fined), they would be PUT DOWN. Keep your FREAKIN cats INDOORS. If not you are a RUDE NUISANCE to your neighborhood!!!!!!!

• Syndi MartinJuly 18, 2014 - 9:12 pm

Sorry, but I agree. I am an avid animal rights activist and work with local rescues and shelters. Cats should be kept indoors. Period. There is no excuse. Get an electronic fence installed and your cat won't get out. Not only can it fall victim to horrendous acts such as this, cat's who "escape" outdoors are more likely to catch disease, be hit by cars, attacked and killed by other animals, etc. If you really love your cat like it was a family member, do whatever it takes to protect them. Would you let our kid wander around alone outside? Of course not. Don't let your pets, either. My opinion in no way condones nor justifies what this man did and I hope he gets jail time. Trapping cats and taking them to a shelter is one thing. Poisoning them is criminal and heinous.

• Jenelle KindtAugust 18, 2014 - 7:28 pm

• BeeboJuly 17, 2014 - 9:02 am

I am a person who feeds stray cats in my neighborhood, and if I ever find out a neighbor is harming them, said neigbor will help feed the cats and save me money on cat food. Wet food delight.

• mikeJuly 17, 2014 - 10:32 am

This guy screwed up good not only will the judicial system make him pay big and he will get probation. It's the neighborhood that will shun him. He will not have a peaceful life on that block. Revenge will happen to him and his property. He will have to sell his house and move away. Maybe will leave Fairfield altogether.

• If we're still driving then we aren't there yet...July 17, 2014 - 4:42 pm

It's East Suisun... but close ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• ConcernedJuly 17, 2014 - 10:58 am

There's a repellant you can buy at the pet stores to spray in your yard to keep the cats out. That man is a cruel person and I hope he suffers greatly just as he made those poor cats suffer.

• BSJuly 17, 2014 - 11:46 am

I would never poison a cat. However, I have neighbors that have cats, and also a neighbor that feeds strays. The love to use my lawn and planter as a litter box. It is not right. So tell me, cat lovers, what is the right way to deal with this?

• rlw895July 17, 2014 - 12:00 pm

Feeding strays is easy: Don't do it, or at least don't do it and expect friendly neighbors.

• Cat loverJuly 17, 2014 - 12:05 pm

"Four Paws" makes "pet repellant" that will keep ALL animals away!! Just spray it where you don't want pets, indoor or out. It works well with both of my indoor cats, and Dog for digging!!

• just sayin'July 17, 2014 - 3:36 pm

Talk to your neighbor about it. Also, help her/him find groups that will TNR (Trap Neuter Release). TNR helps keep the outside cat population down. ... ... What not to do? Harm the cats. Think of it this way, Not Everyone Likes Your Kids either.

• gemmaJuly 17, 2014 - 8:10 pm

I don't love cats, and I've lost my mind over them using my yard as a litter box, but I still wouldn't poison a cat. Someone online recently mentioned some pepper from Sams Club that deters them. I had to plant foliage in the flower bed where they were using the fresh mulch as a toilet, and then I put rubber mulch throughout all the flower beds. It was expensive, but I haven't had poop in my yard since. Ants also don't like the rubber mulch. I had an infestation in the yard that nothing would get rid of, and since the rubber mulch, no ants.

• paqkleaderJuly 17, 2014 - 11:59 am

All cats should be kept INDOORS! Cats do so much insane damage to wildlife and the eco system! I really dont feel sorry for this lady. Keep the cats INSIDE!!!!! I feel bad for the cats..not her!

• Frank CulbertsonJuly 18, 2014 - 5:42 am

Please: more exclamation points.

• paqkleaderJuly 18, 2014 - 8:11 am

have a take, don't suck

• KnowingishalfthebattleJuly 17, 2014 - 1:53 pm

Hope he knows we all now know EXACTLY who he is and WHERE he lives.

• ToniJuly 17, 2014 - 3:52 pm

Who is he, just curious.

• If we're still driving then we aren't there yet...July 17, 2014 - 4:49 pm

She only has three... maybe four (if she can see over the triangle fence but not likely because of the angle) immediate neighbors... process of elimination...

• Shanna WieserJuly 17, 2014 - 4:53 pm

We share this world with all kinds of creatures but we humans are suppose to come with brains and by using those brains we develope coping skills. Surely one does not have to kill a defenseless animal over POOP!!! Communication with ones neighbors could solve the issue if you work together. If this person had an issue we cats they could taken the cats to the shelter or called them to come get it. No excuse to poison an animal. Cat owners educate yourself about good care for you cats and neuter them if you can't do that then for gods sake nueter yourself so we have less caring people like this good neighbor on the planet..

• just sayin'July 17, 2014 - 3:40 pm

Why is the name of the suspect not reported here?

• CatladyJuly 17, 2014 - 11:50 pm

The pictures shows the poison in a dish outside the cage. Maybe Marsh Cat didn't get poisoned, only trapped. Worried about unecessary veterianarian treatment.

• QuinJuly 18, 2014 - 3:52 am

Apparently all sorts of evidence was found in the backyard. Photos online show a can in the cage with the cat. If it were mine, I would take it to the vet regardless. Who knows what they were feeding it in that cage. The effects from antifreeze poisoning can take hours to show. But there is only a 4 hour window in which to treat it after ingestion. After that, chances of recovery are slim. She did the right thing. Glad things are sorted!

• CatladyJuly 18, 2014 - 7:33 am

Yes, I am so happy for this cat and owner but the gofundme site said surgery. $10,000 dollar goal? I suspect my sister's cat was poisoned long ago but the doctor said it was a blockage and crystals, not poison, and the cat had surgery and lived a long life. i only saw the bowl next to the cage, outside of the cage.

• QuinJuly 18, 2014 - 10:34 am

If people would take the time to read her site, they would see that all of the vet bills have been covered and everything else she raises is going to going to "one or more not-for-profit organization(s). I have a few in mind but I would love to hear your suggestions!" I, for one, am happy I donated.

• CatladyJuly 18, 2014 - 10:57 am

Maybe rat poison was in the cage (poisoned one of my sister's cats) that sickened the cat and an antifreeze outside the cage. I wonder if either or both cause crystals? I don't know which charity, an animal cause seems appropriate. I just mentioned the gofundme because I don't want cats, wonderous creatures, to get a bad reputation.

• CatladyJuly 19, 2014 - 8:56 am

I wanted to reply one more time- Jenelle has done a GREAT thing for her cat and her neighborhood. I hope my concerns didn't sway from that fact.

• Miss MoniJuly 18, 2014 - 10:28 am

Wheter people feel cats are a nuisance or not,poisoning any innocent animal is disgusting,cruel and a crime.I hope this sorry excuse for a human being gets the book thrown at him.Shameful!!!!

• Richie Pages (@thenosemilk)July 27, 2014 - 4:50 pm

A comic was produced for my friend's story (this exact incident) and hopefully this brings more awareness to the sitaution: http://thenosemilk.com/blog/mystery-of-the-kinglet-street-cat-killing-spree/

Crime key topic again at Fairfield candidates night

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5, 24 Comments | Gallery

Dixon corn maze breaks own world record

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

PAL center seeks volunteers

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Police Department hosts employee recognition event

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5

Police say they might have spotted ambush suspect

Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at 82

Yosemite proposes raising entrance, camping fees

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 3 Comments

CDC releases revised Ebola gear guidelines

Clinton: Midterm elections should motivate women

Surfer fends off shark attack with fist, board

WWII airman to be buried in Oakland

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

Brown: California needs long-term vision on water

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 4 Comments

Colorado proposes edible pot ban, then retreats

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 2 Comments

Submarine hunt sends Cold War chill across Baltic

Oscar Pistorius to finally learn his sentence

Youths, tech workers duel over San Francisco field

Suspect in Va. abduction charged in DC area rape

Warming Earth heading for hottest year on record

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

Lacking a plan, Abbas opts for rhetoric

Police: Indiana suspect hints at more killings

Turkey says it helps Kurdish fighters enter Syria

Nigeria declared Ebola-free; ‘spectacular success’

Urgent-care clinics ill-equipped to treat Ebola

British royal couples’ 2nd child due in April

Spering kept youth league going

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 10 Comments

Day, Blankenchip good for respective cities

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

‘Misleading’ mailer sent to residents

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Community Calendar: Oct. 21, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Yearwood, Santana to perform at World Series

Standing ovation at Met Opera despite protest

Still the Same: Bob Seger launching tour, album

San Francisco radio stations ban hit song ‘Royals’

Pitbull to host American Music Awards on Nov. 23

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ actor arrested in Idaho

NBC’s Snyderman faces credibility issues

Not so fast cordcutters – cable’s not going anywhere

TVGrid Oct 21

49ers lose center Daniel Kilgore, needs surgery

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Giants-Royals: A capsule look at World Series

Belichick, Brady praise Manning on TD record

Penn State board to meet on disputed Freeh Report

McIlroy to skip 2 events to focus on lawsuit

Column: Keselowski marches to his own beat

Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024 Olympics

Giants rely on core of 4 relievers

Royals, fans bond over improbable postseason run

Voynov suspended on domestic violence suspicion

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Facebook sues law firms, claims fraud

Apple reports record 39.3 million iPhone sales

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

US regulator: Fannie, Freddie in deal with banks

Sears plans to raise more cash via rights offering

Survey: Pay raises rarer despite strong US hiring

US agency warns car owners to get air bags fixed

Pickles Oct 21