Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thursday is another Spare the Air day

From page A3 | January 02, 2014 | 30 Comments

FAIRFIELD – The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has called a third straight Winter Spare the Air Alert for Thursday. It marks the 25th one for the season, which runs from Nov. 1 through Feb. 28.

The alert makes it illegal for Bay Area residents and businesses to use their fireplaces, woodstoves, pellet stoves, outdoor fire pits or any other wood-burning devices for 24 hours.

Homes without permanently installed heating, where woodstoves or fireplaces are the only source of heat, are exempt.

“Wood smoke continues to be a serious health concern in the Bay Area as this stagnant weather pattern continues,” said Jack Broadbent, executive officer of the Air District, in a press release. “Once again we are asking for the public’s continued cooperation to reduce harmful wood smoke pollution to protect the health of all Bay Area residents.”

Violators face fines starting at $100.

For more information, visit www.sparetheair.org.

Reach Amy Maginnis-Honey at 427-6957 or amaginnis@dailyrepublic.net. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/amaginnisdr.

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey joined the staff of the Daily Republic in 1980. She’ll tell you she was only 3 at the time. Over the past three decades she’s done a variety of jobs in the newsroom. Today, she covers arts and entertainment and writes for the Living and news pages.

• Blanca BotwinJanuary 02, 2014 - 5:38 am

So what you really mean is it's going to be cold today, and PG&E needs us to continue lining their pockets. I really feel sorry for elderly people on a fixed income, who more than likely grab blankets instead of turning on the furnace, because THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT. I used my heat last month, and my bill DOUBLED. I can't change it, but at least acknowledge it's not about the air, and always about the almighty dollar.

• Tax PayerJanuary 02, 2014 - 6:13 am

The state connected to PGE to help PGE make more money to pay for all of the lawsuits. A conspiracy? Not in our state! More laws are forthcoming that will make it illegal to drive your vehicle due to it polluting the air. They will force us to public transportation, (Agenda 21). The goal: Total control over anything you do or are thinking about doing. Only exception: smoking pot will be legal in the very near future. Crazyness!

• Legend1949January 02, 2014 - 7:59 am

The only time our area is considered part of the "bay area" is during spare the air days we don't even have our own representation , it's either far north or south or east. It's time to get someone to help Solano county and lives here I guess passing by and crashing your car can count for something I'm Cold, it's clear, I want a fire, fix it!

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:05 am

I agree, there is not one local politician with the BALLS, guts enough today, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We do not have the same air quality problems as say Fremont, San Jose, even San Fran, especially with our Suisun Breezes. I think if a new candidate stepped up to run on this issue alone, they could win, spending their entire time in office to achieve just THAT!!! None of the ones we now have, NOT ONE, has the guts!!!!! Vote them ALL OUT!!!!!!!

• Rick WoodJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:28 am

L: I agree that the Bay Area is too complex climatalogically for conditions to be the same everywhere. It would be better to split the region up for no-burn days. But I'm not going to hold my breath;-).

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:01 am

Our P.G.&E bill was so high this month, the highest EVER, and our thermostat has been set at 66 (Gas furnace), but the electric side has been a KILLER because of the electric heater in my Wife's fake fireplace, darn near at $200. And look at P.G.& E's BASELINE rates, that Dr. Bill Wattenburg (Google him) used to slam P.G.&E about. You'd have to live in a 400 sq.' OR LESS hovel to stay within those baselines. A P.G.&E person once told me that they did not set those limits that the PUC does, and she actually believed what she was saying. And to qualify for P.G.&E's, "Care Program," FOGETBOUTIT. You'd have to be so poor, a family of 2 or more, that you'd be eating Kal Kan>>LOL. You have a fireplace use it. No one else is paying your heating bill, or helping. SCREW The Bay Area Air Quality Management District. Get fined, I still say DON'T PAY ONE RED CENT. Unless you win the lottery or have a state tax return coming, I see no way that they can make you collect. BURN BABY BURN!!!!!! And ENJOY.

• CD BrooksJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:11 am

JaqzzAzz, I agree with your little war you're waging here. And I seriously doubt some "revenue-er" will knock at your door and cite you. However, there are methods they can use to get their booty and one of them is tying into your DMV fees. Tax returns and home insurance might be another? Just sayin...

• CD BrooksJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:13 am

JazzAzz, apologies for the typo...

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:22 am

CD, I just don't see them being authorized to tie any fines to unrelated revenues, like the DMV. Anyone could probably fight that in court on principle alone. Tax returns, maybe, since they also hit that up for Dead Beat Dads, Insurance, don't see that either. We need a political with GUTS!!!!!!! I saw on Sacto's news (Chan 10 maybe) where many are being fined, saying that they are actually driving around taking PICS of smoking chimneys, then sending out a citation, which I would immediately mail back with, "KISS THIS A__H_les," on it!!!!!! And if neighbors just refuse to be part of this Third Reich Regime or Soviet WANNA BEs, then they will need a lot more people, a larger crew to drive around.

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:15 am

Christine>>>Even though I do not see your post here (Got an email) tell me about it. But it does heat up her (Living room) so much, I feel it in the family room, which enables me to keep the thermostat down to 66. You know the saying, about a, "Happy Wife,">>LOL. I already have turned our decks HOT TUB down to near nothing, just enough to keep it from freezing. I'd hate to see what the P.G.&E bill would be if that were still kept warm enough to jump into it!!!

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:39 am

Not sure why Christine's is not posting, (Got in email), but I will attempt to C&P it. By the way, Christine, I agree, but, "A Happy Wife," :-) :-): "Christine in FF commented Those fake fire places cost more to run for warming a little room than running your whole house heater set at 70 and warming your entire house. Turn that thing off and your bill will be much cheaper.

• Rick WoodJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:16 am

JA: YOU have an electric fireplace?!?

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:25 am

Was a Christmas gift to my Wife, a few years back. She asked and received :-). Although I must say she just has it on the Light display most of the time. Once again, "A Happy Wife, Yada, Yada, Yada :-). So don't advise me to unplug it---LOL. I already turned the Hot Tub near OFF :-)

• Rick WoodJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:30 am

She received FROM YOU?!?

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:35 am

Yup, what she wanted. You know how that goes>>LOL. And Rick, as far as splitting the different regional parts up, they've done that with upper & lower Solano County, haven't they???? Well OFFLINE. Can't waste my entire day getting my blood pressure up over the M_R__________Ns over at the Air Board. All they have is AIR between their ears!!! Bye y'all.

• Rick WoodJanuary 02, 2014 - 11:43 am

Is bow out too if I was complaining about high PG&E bills in the winter when I was heating the house with an electronic fireplace! What's the wattage on that bad boy?

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 11:59 am

Not sure without looking it up, probably the USUAL for one of those heaters, same units as they put in them Amish ones, I believe. Really an attractive CORNER, Oak wood design. Was a nice gift I might add that SHE GOT that year :-)

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 12:03 pm

By the way, I am not as dumb as I look>>LOL>>keeping her happy. The thermostat is right on the opposite side of that living room wall the warmth from that heater faking out the thermostat.. So when she has it going, I compensate by then turning the thermostat down to 65, to save on THAT end, since I can then actually feel it in here too, in the family room. This is not a very big home, just 1,322 sq', three Bedrooms, two bath, Family & separate living room, HER TV room. We both have totally different program tastes :-)

• Rick WoodJanuary 02, 2014 - 3:08 pm

JA: I'll take your word for it;-). Just saying; doesn't seem like the BAAQMD is responsible for your high PG&E bills. Maybe give them a little slack.

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 3:41 pm

Having a fire should still be OUR choice, PERIOD. And I do the best to conserve. My Wife is reasonable with using that fake fireplace, hasn't at all today, but like spring time now:-)

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 6:11 pm

P.S. Rick, right after dinner, when my Wife was watching her evening news, I heard that puppy running. I nicely asked her if she''d like me to turn the thermostat up to 68 or 69, instead of that fireplace?? Believe me our not too long ago purchased TRANE heater just about smothers you at 68 or 69. After having it installed my Wife would say, "Turn the heat off. It is too hot in here." Never heard that with the original Piece of doggie POO that Hoffman initially had installed>>LOL. Anyway she said, "No, I like the way this feels." So I compensate by turning the thermostat even lower, to 65. Our Electric portion of the bill was darn near close to the gas portion, fairly split, this last bill due this month. For some reason P.G. & E really rips us off on their electric rates compared to the folks on SMUD up around Sacto.

• The MisterJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:33 am

March, march, march... jackbooted tyranny continues to patrol your neighborhood. March, march, march. Turn in your neighbors... turn in your father... they are a threat to the collective. March, march, march.

• Christine in FFJanuary 02, 2014 - 8:45 am

Can you see me now? Lol

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 10:01 am

Yes, I do:-)

• Duane KrommJanuary 02, 2014 - 4:17 pm

I used to be a member of the Yolo Solano Air Quality Management District board, chaired it for a year. The Vaca mountains divide the Bay Area district from Yolo Solano, which makes sense when you look at a topographic map of the area. Each district makes it own call on Spare the Air days based on predicted pollutants in the air. Still, cold days are the worst. The studies we used to help us make the policy to enforce Spare the Air days were based on health problems for folks with asthma. Particulate matter from fire places causes havoc for folks with breathing problems. As you may have noticed new houses do not have fireplaces. Traditional fireplaces are very inefficient, actually suck heat out of your house. Wood stoves are much better, and with catalytic converters, like in cars, are just fine to use. Like many things Spare the Air days are a balancing act; health for many versus more economic heating for others. I do not know who is the current rep on the Bay Area Air District board, but that info is available on line. You can certainly contact our local rep if you want to complain. For the Yolo Solano Board the reps include Jim Spering, John Vasquez, Skip Thompson and one each from the cities of Dixon, Rio Vista and Vacaville, usually the Mayors. Call them if you want to complain about the Spare the Air policy; they make and maintain that policy.

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 6:04 pm

Thank-you for that info, because now we know that we can target getting, Jim Spering, John Vasquez, Skip Thompson out of office for subjecting us to the rest of the Bay Area's BullCrap!!!!!! and as far as stoves with catalytic converters, I was told by a local fireplace, stove shop, that the Air Board does not even allow those on NO BURN days, but that the industry is trying to get those allowed. The BIGGEST stupidity to me is not allowing the clean (GREEN burn logs such as DutraFlames. That is pure insanity and PIG HEADEDNESS!!!! One Stove shop owner told me that many are converting to gas fireplaces. I said NO THANK-YOU, my P.G.&E. GAS portion of the bill is HIGH enough already. Listen up people, throw all, Jim Spering, John Vasquez, Skip Thompson, out of office, unless they get us out of this Bay Area mess!!!!!

• Typical County WorkerJanuary 02, 2014 - 9:45 pm

If they were really concerned with air quality, they would be promoting new clean wood burn technology, and/or provide incentives for installing gas/electric heaters. It is just a government agency trying to prove their need to exist and milk money from taxpayers. Maybe BAAQMD could be dissolved and their budget be spent on above mentioned ideas, thus ensuring cleaner air.

• JazzAzzJanuary 02, 2014 - 10:01 pm

There already is CLEAN WOOD TECHNOLOGY. It is called DuraFlame, but the Air Board is too DumbArse to allow them, even though Duraflame nearly took them to court over that, but that appeared to have disappeared. My fireplace burns them on Burn or NO burn days, after dark, not a thing can be seen on my set back Chimney. They emit near NOTHING!!! They can KISS THIS!!!!!!

Supervisor candidates square off at forum

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 11 Comments | Gallery

Carli takes oath, now Vacaville’s 14th police chief

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Huge jump in Solano median home price

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

Donate a car, help build a house

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Solano DA hosts workshop to fight human trafficking

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 16 Comments | Gallery

Drugs topic of cardiac class

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Fairfield town hall on crime delayed

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 12 Comments

Railway museum offers wine-tasting rides

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Suisun Police log: April 14, 2014

Weather for April 17, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Fairfield police log: April 15, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A12, 1 Comment

Suisun City police log: April 15, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 14, 2014

Armed robber was never told to report to prison

Lost sea lion in California found mile from water

Body of California man who jumped into river found

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Seabird from Atlantic spotted on Alcatraz

Ex-Bell city leader gets 12 years in prison

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California delays decision on protecting gray wolf

Court rules for environmentalists in water fight

Governor calls special session on rainy day fund

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Denver police eye 911 response time after killing

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Man charged with marathon hoax is held on bail

Geneva talks on Ukraine face steep hurdles

Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles

Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing

Obamacare news you probably missed

By Martin Schram | From Page: A11, 7 Comments

Editorial Cartoons for April 17, 2014

By Kim Durbin | From Page: A11

In support of Pam Bertani

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 12 Comments

Parenting demands responsibility

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

A lesson in household budgeting

By Chris Erskine | From Page: A2

Today in History for April 17, 2014

Community Calendar: April 17, 2014

Horoscopes for April 17, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Daniel Radcliffe on why New York audiences rock

Alicia Silverstone out with book ‘Kind Mama’

Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on ‘The View’

Ailing Malcolm Young taking break from AC/DC

Disney Channel’s ‘Jessie’ breaks romantic ground

Crawford’s 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets

Vacaville’s Peralta to wrestle at San Francisco State

Angels beat A’s 5-4 on Iannetta’s HR in 12th

MEL, SCAC tangle in hoops all-star games

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

Sharks take goalie questions into rematch vs Kings

Sidney Rice agrees to terms with Seahawks

Goodwin helps Suns to 104-99 win over Kings in finale

IndyCar driver Saavedra fined $10K

Sandoval’s single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1

Officer: Sharper’s DNA found on 1 Arizona victim

Jets sign former Titans RB Chris Johnson

Spieth ready for more after Masters success

Backup QB Matt Flynn returns to Packers

Atlanta lands MLS expansion team for 2017

Bucks owner Herb Kohl reaches deal to sell team

Yellen: Fed stimulus still needed for job market

Some exempted from minimum wage, increased or not

Fed survey: Growth picks up across most of US

Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal charges

IBM posts lower 1Q earnings amid hardware slump