Thursday, December 25, 2014

State awards $57,677 to aid Solano County’s homeless

From page A3 | August 16, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — The Community Action Partnership of Solano County was awarded $57,677 to expand the Solano Housing Project to assist the homeless, a state agency said Friday.

The state Department of Community Services and Development announced the funding as part of more than $1 million awarded in California.

The agency announced the availability of $1.1 million in federal funds to put in place programs for low-income Californians.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• rahAugust 16, 2014 - 5:33 am

I hope the people see some of that money instead putting it in their pockets.We have alot of homeless people in solano county.

• GaryAugust 16, 2014 - 10:15 am

Agreed...there are those who are truly dedicated...and others who make their living "pimping" poverty.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 6:14 am

Expanding? Further depleting resources for hard working law abiding tax-payers. Noticed the ever-growing collection of "new homes" at ABP and Walters? Disgusting.

• Tonya AllenAugust 16, 2014 - 12:06 pm

So what do you say about the veterans who served this country defending your very freedom that are homeless not by choice? Are we disgusting also. It is people that sit on their high horse and look down on people they feel are beneath them but never stop to think maybe the person has fallen on hard times just so quick to assume. Should be ashamed of yourself not everybody has the luxury of having a roof over their head.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 1:09 pm

Tonya Allen, yeah sorry I'm not the rah-rah guy. Veterans deserve better that is a military problem that needs fixing sooner than later. The rest of the homeless can move on or fall off a cliff, I don't care. I'm tired of them using up resources I have to pay for because of their freeloading. We'd be a better city with less crime without them.

• Lynn HenricksonAugust 16, 2014 - 5:32 pm

CD Brooks what do you do for a living? It must be nice to be guaranteed an income for life, cause buddy you lose your job, you might become one of them, or should I say us. I am not in the tullys,like some of those in Suisun, and Fairfield; instead I am blessed to have my daughter let me move in with her, but everyday, every letter, remark, post, makes this pit I am in a little deeper. I don't want your money I want my own, I want a job. Stop being so ugly, and that is what you are, not funny or flip just hideously ugly.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 8:08 pm

Lynn Henrickson, yes when it comes to all the trouble we have here, I am done with those folks taking all the marbles. I'm not ugly, I'm honest and probably the only person that will say what others are thinking but won't say. I have worked hard for what I have and I pay a lot of taxes to get services unavailable to me because freeloaders are taking them. Time to move on.

• Tonya AllenAugust 16, 2014 - 11:35 pm

You have been blessed to still have employment in this day and age. There are people that are homeless due to the recession that were exactly like you tax payers and they fell on hard times. Does not make them any less than you. Yes I don't agree with people living off the system but I seriously doubt the majority of people choose to be homeless I seriously doubt this was an entry in their resumes. And speaking of tax payers dollars, what about the massive empty buildings throughout Fairfield that could be put to good use instead of having the "new houses" as you called them throughout town. Were those county buildings and empty business buildings the way tax payers should be utilizing the tax money. My question is so what do you suppose be done with the homeless? What about people that were forced to move out of their homes because of the mortgage scams? I suppose they are disgusting also. I hope and pray that you should ever have to fall on hard times then you can judge. And if the city properly disbursed the funding they receive maybe the homeless population would shrink. You are not helping with the solution you are remaining the problem.

• CD BrooksAugust 17, 2014 - 9:27 am

Tonya, yes I am fortunate and I am grateful for what we have and how we have managed through some difficult times. But I want, pay for and am entitled to frankly, a crime-free city. I am not the problem here I don’t give them the means to continue their charade. Some of them are stealing from us, some stealing city services. None of us deserve the rampant crime running through this town because PD “doesn’t have the resources” to manage it. But let’s get one thing straight here and I guess I have to spell everything out so you self-absorbed do-gooders get it. I am not speaking to anything other than people hanging out, committing crimes and leaving crap including their makeshift dwellings cars and motor homes all over this city. Go somewhere else and take all the garbage you possess with you. Good riddance!

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 10:18 am

Oh, CD, it should be so easy... some things just aren't that black and white. And what do you propose we do with the mentally ill homeless wandering around, living in makeshift dwellings and 'leaving crap' everywhere. Being mentally ill is not a 'crime', and therefore you can't just lock them up. There is no easy solution. Will you offer a job to the man that hangs out at Lee Bell Park and usually has at least 4 carts filled to the rim with 'junk', that to him is valuable? who knows the last time he even thought to take a shower or brush his hair. Nope. not betting anyone would offer him a job, nor that he could even perform any tasks without needing to take his carts with him, at the risk of him becoming volatile. No, CD, just not that black and white.

• CD BrooksAugust 19, 2014 - 11:12 am

Dot, whatever. They are stealing and the majority would prefer they go elsewhere.

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 12:58 pm

CD, You don't strike me as a "whatever" sort of person. i enjoy your thoughtful comments even when I don't agree. My point is only that it's not that easy to just get rid of the homeless. I don't disagree that there are those who steal and make messes of thing; it's just not that simple to fix it.

• CD BrooksAugust 19, 2014 - 1:42 pm

Dot, you are correct, I am not that person but I was in a hurry and wanted to respond. I understand it is not that easy but we are losing precious PD attention that is desperately needed to combat among others things, the atrocious driving abuses going on around town. I would much prefer they use their time to that advantage.

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 4:53 pm

CD, agreed. It is amazing how much one issue can consume resources if not addressed at all. And there are certainly bigger things going on. Can't imagine what it would be like if not addressed at all...

Christmas Eve event features Bible, bikes

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

It’s easy to remember some Christmas memories

By Mayrene Bates | From Page: A2

Man’s walk for peace enters Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 17 Comments | Gallery

$3,500 nets Dixon man $9, he says

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Deadline nears for BookFest authors’ contest

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Suisun waterfront to host restaurant week

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Conservancy schedules next Quail Ridge hike

Fairfield man wants $28,828 returned

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 11 Comments

Fairfield police log: Dec. 21, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 23, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 21, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 23, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 22, 2014

Governor issues 105 pardons, many for drug crimes

10 years after tsunami, Indonesian family reborn

Storm expected to bring Christmas snow to Sierra

Sony broadly releases ‘The Interview’ in reversal of plans

Regulations would expand coastal California sanctuaries

Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 7 Comments

Interrogation program mismanaged, Senate, CIA agree

Denver shelters cite legal pot in homeless upswing

After NYC deaths, a surge of support for police

Abe takes office for 3rd term as Japan’s leader

Russia: NATO pushed Kiev to drop nonaligned status

Russia in offer to help firms with foreign debts

By T. Burt McNaughton | From Page: A7

NKorea outage a case study in online uncertainties

Curfew in India state after rebels kill 63

Cuba’s relations with Catholic Church hit high point

Iraq: Suicide attack kills 24 people near Baghdad

Sony tries to save face with ‘Interview’ flip-flop

Who hacked Sony becomes Internet’s new mystery

Immunity and interrogators: a second look

By Walter Pincus | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

My grandson wants what for Christmas?

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Letting go

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Today in History: Dec. 25, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 25, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

A partridge in a pear tree will cost a bit more this year

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Court denies Polanski’s motion to dismiss 1977 sex case

Domestic violence at forefront of NFL in 2014

Alabama’s Sims proves critics wrong with big season

Associated Press Sports Story of the Year Winners

Masters races to keep field under 100 players

Typical NFL season: smiles for some, frowns for others

NBA prepares for Christmas coming-out party

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B2

Titans lead Bucs for top pick in NFL draft

Tyler Summitt easing into head coaching career

Elvis Stojko, Bourne bring skating to small stage

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B2

New-Look NBA: In Milwaukee, a new hope rises

Sharks forward John Scott suspended 4 games

Honda recalls 1,252 Crosstours over side air bags

Applications for US jobless aid fall to 7-week low

Walmart tests gift card exchange

Unions make push to recruit protected immigrants

By The Associated Press | From Page: B7, 3 Comments