Sunday, March 1, 2015

State awards $57,677 to aid Solano County’s homeless

From page A3 | August 16, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — The Community Action Partnership of Solano County was awarded $57,677 to expand the Solano Housing Project to assist the homeless, a state agency said Friday.

The state Department of Community Services and Development announced the funding as part of more than $1 million awarded in California.

The agency announced the availability of $1.1 million in federal funds to put in place programs for low-income Californians.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

• rahAugust 16, 2014 - 5:33 am

I hope the people see some of that money instead putting it in their pockets.We have alot of homeless people in solano county.

• GaryAugust 16, 2014 - 10:15 am

Agreed...there are those who are truly dedicated...and others who make their living "pimping" poverty.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 6:14 am

Expanding? Further depleting resources for hard working law abiding tax-payers. Noticed the ever-growing collection of "new homes" at ABP and Walters? Disgusting.

• Tonya AllenAugust 16, 2014 - 12:06 pm

So what do you say about the veterans who served this country defending your very freedom that are homeless not by choice? Are we disgusting also. It is people that sit on their high horse and look down on people they feel are beneath them but never stop to think maybe the person has fallen on hard times just so quick to assume. Should be ashamed of yourself not everybody has the luxury of having a roof over their head.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 1:09 pm

Tonya Allen, yeah sorry I'm not the rah-rah guy. Veterans deserve better that is a military problem that needs fixing sooner than later. The rest of the homeless can move on or fall off a cliff, I don't care. I'm tired of them using up resources I have to pay for because of their freeloading. We'd be a better city with less crime without them.

• Lynn HenricksonAugust 16, 2014 - 5:32 pm

CD Brooks what do you do for a living? It must be nice to be guaranteed an income for life, cause buddy you lose your job, you might become one of them, or should I say us. I am not in the tullys,like some of those in Suisun, and Fairfield; instead I am blessed to have my daughter let me move in with her, but everyday, every letter, remark, post, makes this pit I am in a little deeper. I don't want your money I want my own, I want a job. Stop being so ugly, and that is what you are, not funny or flip just hideously ugly.

• CD BrooksAugust 16, 2014 - 8:08 pm

Lynn Henrickson, yes when it comes to all the trouble we have here, I am done with those folks taking all the marbles. I'm not ugly, I'm honest and probably the only person that will say what others are thinking but won't say. I have worked hard for what I have and I pay a lot of taxes to get services unavailable to me because freeloaders are taking them. Time to move on.

• Tonya AllenAugust 16, 2014 - 11:35 pm

You have been blessed to still have employment in this day and age. There are people that are homeless due to the recession that were exactly like you tax payers and they fell on hard times. Does not make them any less than you. Yes I don't agree with people living off the system but I seriously doubt the majority of people choose to be homeless I seriously doubt this was an entry in their resumes. And speaking of tax payers dollars, what about the massive empty buildings throughout Fairfield that could be put to good use instead of having the "new houses" as you called them throughout town. Were those county buildings and empty business buildings the way tax payers should be utilizing the tax money. My question is so what do you suppose be done with the homeless? What about people that were forced to move out of their homes because of the mortgage scams? I suppose they are disgusting also. I hope and pray that you should ever have to fall on hard times then you can judge. And if the city properly disbursed the funding they receive maybe the homeless population would shrink. You are not helping with the solution you are remaining the problem.

• CD BrooksAugust 17, 2014 - 9:27 am

Tonya, yes I am fortunate and I am grateful for what we have and how we have managed through some difficult times. But I want, pay for and am entitled to frankly, a crime-free city. I am not the problem here I don’t give them the means to continue their charade. Some of them are stealing from us, some stealing city services. None of us deserve the rampant crime running through this town because PD “doesn’t have the resources” to manage it. But let’s get one thing straight here and I guess I have to spell everything out so you self-absorbed do-gooders get it. I am not speaking to anything other than people hanging out, committing crimes and leaving crap including their makeshift dwellings cars and motor homes all over this city. Go somewhere else and take all the garbage you possess with you. Good riddance!

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 10:18 am

Oh, CD, it should be so easy... some things just aren't that black and white. And what do you propose we do with the mentally ill homeless wandering around, living in makeshift dwellings and 'leaving crap' everywhere. Being mentally ill is not a 'crime', and therefore you can't just lock them up. There is no easy solution. Will you offer a job to the man that hangs out at Lee Bell Park and usually has at least 4 carts filled to the rim with 'junk', that to him is valuable? who knows the last time he even thought to take a shower or brush his hair. Nope. not betting anyone would offer him a job, nor that he could even perform any tasks without needing to take his carts with him, at the risk of him becoming volatile. No, CD, just not that black and white.

• CD BrooksAugust 19, 2014 - 11:12 am

Dot, whatever. They are stealing and the majority would prefer they go elsewhere.

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 12:58 pm

CD, You don't strike me as a "whatever" sort of person. i enjoy your thoughtful comments even when I don't agree. My point is only that it's not that easy to just get rid of the homeless. I don't disagree that there are those who steal and make messes of thing; it's just not that simple to fix it.

• CD BrooksAugust 19, 2014 - 1:42 pm

Dot, you are correct, I am not that person but I was in a hurry and wanted to respond. I understand it is not that easy but we are losing precious PD attention that is desperately needed to combat among others things, the atrocious driving abuses going on around town. I would much prefer they use their time to that advantage.

• DotAugust 19, 2014 - 4:53 pm

CD, agreed. It is amazing how much one issue can consume resources if not addressed at all. And there are certainly bigger things going on. Can't imagine what it would be like if not addressed at all...

School bands compete in Pageantry on Parade

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Piece and patience: Quilters gear up for show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1

Calling someone a ‘smoker’ is hilarious

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Conservancy plans next Quail Ridge Reserve walk

Police seek suspect in armed robbery

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3

4-H Presentation Day brings fun, education to Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

What you eat can affect your medications

By Marilyn Ranson | From Page: C4

Rollover in Suisun City

By Aaron Rosenblatt | From Page: A5 | Gallery

State schedules ramp closure at freeway project site

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Vigil doesn’t pan out amid concerns

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5

Appointments on tap for Board of Supervisors meet

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Tri-City NAACP honors community members at gala event

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

CAASC 18th Annual Chinese New Year and Scholarship Celebration

By Steve Reczkowski | From Page: A5 | Gallery

NY, SF town house prices through the roof

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Parker Road restaurant does brisk business

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B7

Fairfield police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Airmen with local ties finish basic training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Force draws many from South, middle class

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Christie to Calif. Republicans: No rush to pick 2016 nominee

US missionary abducted in Nigeria is courageous, friends say

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Dress that ‘greatly resembles’ stolen Nyong’o gown found

Weekend storm drops snow, rain, hail in California

Churches, synagogues, mosques bear tough New England winter

Mother charged in death of infant found in California swamp

Hyundai recalls 263,000 cars due to power-steering problem

Blind dog rescued after being lost for 2 weeks in the cold

Details about proposed national monuments in California

National monument supporters in California get antsy

Attacks kill 37 people in and north of Iraq’s capital

US drone strike in Yemen kills 3 suspected al-Qaida fighters

Greece will not seek another bailout, prime minister says

Nemtsov a possible ‘sacrificial victim,’ investigators say

Editorial Cartoon: March 1, 2015

Sound off for March 1, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

I might just vote for a Democrat next time around

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Aging Fairfield housing agency faltering

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Today in History: March 1, 2015

Community Calendar: March 1, 2015

With numbers falling, Houston-area nuns’ future uncertain

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscopes: March 1, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Kidney Walk participation helped give me a positive outlook on life

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Take a look – Dr. Seuss has a new book

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Publisher launches line of Warhol e-books

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Q&A: Opera star Deborah Voigt writes of turbulent life

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Review: ‘The Girl on the Train’ has realistic plot

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

Local Report: Vaca’s Aquino wins Masters wrestling title

Phegley hopes his style will catch on in Oakland

A year after meeting Tiger, Indian golfer on the rise

Jeff Gordon takes a final spin at track that meant so much

Vikings girls looking for first section title

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Defending champ Federer beats Djokovic to retain Dubai title

Safarova beats Azarenka to win the Qatar Open

Environmental activists disrupt meeting by Olympic officials

Hamilton hones Mercedes with fastest time at F1 testing

Thunder’s Russell Westbrook has surgery on cheekbone

Anthony Mason, rugged forward of 1990s Knicks, dies at 48

Warriors center Festus Ezeli suspended for a game

Reichelt leads Austrian World Cup downhill sweep

Players’ union head: future spring games in Cuba possible

Harrington takes 36-hole lead, then more rain in Florida

Harvick wins Xfinity race at Atlanta for 3rd year in a row

Stolen No. 44 NASCAR race car found in suburban Atlanta

Fruits and vegetables get a star-studded marketing push

For many in US, cash saved at gas pump is staying in pockets

Nevada casinos keep $953.7 million in winnings in January

Historic snows causing headaches for real estate industry

Boy, 13, builds Braille printer with Legos, starts company

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9Comments are off for this post

Recalls this week: hand trucks, ceiling fans

Review: Freedom! These smartwatches leave the phone behind

Greek prime minister rules out third bailout

AP Exclusive: Fuel-hauling trains could derail at 10 a year