Krishna Abrams announces her candidacy for District Attorney at the Solano County Hall of Justice in Fairfield, Monday. (Robinson Kuntz/Daily Republic)

Solano County

Solano DA will face 1 opponent

By From page A1 | March 08, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Incumbent Solano County District Attorney Donald A. du Bain will have an opponent in the June election.

Longtime Solano County prosecutor Krishna Abrams filed candidacy papers Friday afternoon shortly before the deadline for all candidates running in the primary election.

Because there are only two candidates in the race, the one who garners the most votes wins. There will be no runoff in November.

The election will be du Bain’s first time having to compete for the job. He launched a campaign in 2010 that began with a $100,000 personal loan to his campaign coffers. Du Bain, who has extensive financial resources, ran unopposed and took office in January 2011. Most of that war chest is still sitting in the bank, according to campaign filings.

For Abrams, the campaign will be her first run for public office.

The California Deputy District Attorneys’ Association last year named Abrams the top prosecutor in the state for 2012.

At a local event to honor Abrams for the statewide award, du Bain lauded Abrams for her hard work and her long record of getting convictions in some of the most heinous and horrible murders. Du Bain also complimented Abrams on her commitment to parenting by helping her son in Little League and other sports, as well as her help at his school and in his classroom.

Du Bain also filed his election papers Friday.

Among his accomplishments during his first term as district attorney, du Bain touts his role in opening the Family Justice Center, which provides services for crime victims and their families, a new ethics policy for the District Attorney’s Office and the imposition of a merit-based system for prosecutors that he says ensures that the most serious cases are prosecuted by his most proficient attorneys.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• The MisterMarch 08, 2014 - 6:53 am

Yeah, we are seeing some of du Bain's accomplishments play out in the media lately... corruption and cover-up in the County's justice system. If this were Chicago, maybe du Bain would have a chance. I don't think the good people of Solano County will tolerate corruption and cover-up. We don't make heroes out of crooks here.

• Bill of RightsMarch 08, 2014 - 8:12 am

A hard fighting DA, who has proven herself time and time again. Sounds like a breath of fresh air. I'm in!

• KasupporterMarch 08, 2014 - 9:56 am

DuBain was a Horible trial attorney and lost most of his trials. Abrams rarely loses. He's only DA because he has money and lots of it. He is an empty suit and has others run the office. Nobody wanted to run against duBains money last time as noted he donated $100k to his own campaign, something most people cant do. Give Abrams a chance. She is more than competent and will clean house. Right now, that office can't get a conviction with a solid confession. Dubain wants to be a friend, he's no leader!!!!

• SolanoCitizenMarch 08, 2014 - 12:16 pm

You think Abrams isn't knee deep in your perceived corruption? Most of these cases, SHE is the prosecutor. Smells like Abrams is trying to set up du Bain! It's a joke. Abrams may be a good trial attorney but she is NO manager. She has a volatile temper. She's not a team player. If you make her mad for the smallest of issue, and please believe she's temperamental, she will hold a grudge and give you the silent treatment. Is that the kind of person you want running a department?! I think NOT!

• SolanoCitizenMarch 08, 2014 - 12:24 pm

@Kasupporter. Just curious, has Abrams raised any money through county fundraising or is she using private funds? I haven't heard of one dollar she's raised from Solano residents. Don is anything but an empty suit. He is a hands on DA who cares about Solano County, who lives in Solano County. Krishna Abrams doesn't even live here in Solano County and if she has taken up residence in the past month, she's clearly a carpet bagger!!!

• Hmm...March 08, 2014 - 3:17 pm

I would like to see a DA in this county that has the ability to put together prosecution teams that get convictions and protect our community!! DuBain, and Paulson lacked these abilities and look at what our cities have become in the past 10 years. Abrams is a bull dog!! She has the desire to prosecute cases, can communicate and understand complex subjects (DuBain is a joke when it comes to this) and has a great work ethic. I have seen her in court many times and am very impressed with her abilities. I live and work in this county and Abrams has my vote...

• Please...March 08, 2014 - 6:33 pm

Everything I know about DuBain is that he has been very easy to work with and has brought great programs to the community that help victims of crime and crime prevention. I think the last thing this county needs is an obtuse "bulldog" (insert eye roll here). Bulldogs have no finesse. The DA needs to work with others. If Abrams doesn't live in Solano County doesn't that make her ineligible to run? It should be interesting to see how she plans to argue that case.

• Hmm...March 09, 2014 - 9:39 am

In my opinion the DA's primary role is to prosecute criminal cases. This should be the focus and the strength of the office, with other programs and projects taking a back seat to the prosecution of criminals. Victim resources and crime prevention are very important, but should not be the primary role of the DA's office. If I had a history of failed prosecutions, I might try to deflect this by shedding light on these other programs also. Keep in mind what the role of the DA's office is!!!

• Please...March 09, 2014 - 10:37 am

I went back and looked at the DA's prosecution record. It's not a failure. If that is the message you are trying to send, you are mistaken. The DA has shown he is capable of running an office that is tough on crime with an admirable conviction rate. He, additionally, cares about the community and in preventing future crime. I commend his effort and applaud him for being multi-dimensional. Who wants one-dimensional?! Again, is KA even eligible to run? Does she live in Solano County? When you live in a county and raise children in said county, you care about attacking crime at every angle.

• Ms.RealityMarch 13, 2014 - 2:56 am

@ please....I find it interesting that one of your arguments ( you have mentioned it a few times) is if Ms. Abrams is a resident. I understand that's the "rule" and from what I have read...she is..but being a victim of a crime myself, I didn't really care if my attorney lived in another state. When attnys are passionate about their job and victims get justice and resolution, it really shouldn't matter that they live ten towns over. Yet, for you, that is a big issue! Actually, I think its impressive that she is so caring about Solano county and fights like a "bulldog". Again,as a victim of a crime, I wanted a bulldog! I definitely didn't want a cute little poodle! I appreciate your issues and concerns but.....Tell me, if a man was a bulldog and fought to the bitter end and if he didn't say "hi' to me in the hallway, would he be all these terrible things..I think NOT!!!

• DisgustedMarch 10, 2014 - 12:12 pm

Wow. This article makes Abrams look like a backstabber. It seems the old saying, no good deed goes unpunished, is alive and kicking in this story. What's funny is Abrams wants to run on a platform of restoring trust. Hahaha...trust?! Really?

• Joseph D. JoyceMay 01, 2014 - 1:11 am

Please understand! Du Bain hands out plea deals to ramp up his offices conviction rate. If that isn't a good enough reason he's ethics and cover up should be.