Harrison Schaufel of the Suisun Valley 4-H Club talks to a judge at the Solano County 4-H Project Skills Day. He won a showmanship award for his display, "Behind the Scenes: Filmmaking." (Photo courtesy Kathy Keatley Garvey)
FAIRFIELD — Fifteen 4-H members won showmanship medals Saturday at the annual Solano County 4-H Project Skills Day in the Green Valley Middle School.
Children in kindergarten through 10th grade showcased projects on food preservation, cooking, cake decorating, sewing, fitness, astronomy and more.
Judges score the members on their display, presentation, knowledge and interaction with the public.
The showmanship winners are:
- Annette Josol, Rio Vista 4-H Club, “Chicken Pancit” project, entered in the Foods and Nutrition category, senior division (10th grade).
- Samantha DeOsuna, Vaca Valley 4-H Club, “Sam’s Jams” project, entered in Food Preservation, intermediate division (seventh grade).
- Siera Giron, Wolfskill 4-H Club, Dixon, “Quicky Qiwi (Kiwi) Jam” project, entered in Food Preservation, intermediate division (ninth grade).
- Madeline Giron, Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Breakfast: As the Rooster Crows, the Chicken Clucks,” entered in the Foods/Livestock category, junior division (fourth grade).
- Riley Currey, Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Animal Bites,” entered in Foods/Livestock, intermediate division (grades sixth through eight).
- Sierra Solbrack, Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Lamb in a Hot Tub,” entered in Foods/Livestock, senior division (grades ninth and 10th).
- Jasmine Gonzalez, Sherwood Forest 4-H Club, “Rub-a-Dub-Dub: A Chicken in a Tub!,” entered in the Livestock/Animals category, junior division (grades fourth and fifth).
- Isabella Berkheimer, Vaca Valley Club, “I’ve Goat My Eye on You,” entered in Livestock/Animals, intermediate division (seventh grade).
- Annabella Rodriguez, Sherwood Forest 4-H Club “Beginning Horses: First Aid of a Horse,” entered in Livestock/Animals, senior division (ninth grade).
- Natalie Frenkel, Suisun Valley 4-H Club, “Publishing a Newsletter,” entered in the All Other Projects category, junior division (grades four and five).
- Ryan Liu, Westwind 4-H Club, “Starfinder: Ideal Conditons for Finding Stars,” entered in All Other Projects, junior division (grades four and five).
- Amanda Kant, Sherwood Forest 4-H Club, “Decorating Cake Pops: How to Decorate Basic Cake Pops,” entered in All Other Projects, intermediate division (grades six and seven).
- Harrison Schaufel, Suisun Valley 4-H Club, “Behind the Scenes, Filmmaking,” entered in All Other Projects, intermediate division (grades six and seven).
- Emma Ryder, Vaca Valley 4-H Club, “Container Gardening: How to Force Bulbs to Grow,” entered in All Other Projects category, intermediate division (grades six and seven).
- Daniel Liu, Westwind 4-H Club, “Keeping S.E.T. (Science, Engineering and Technology) Afloat,” entered in All Other Projects category, senior division (10th grade).
Participation certificates recipients include:
- Elmira 4-H Club: Erin Tiernan-Lang, “Heavenly Cheesecake.”
- Sherwood Forest 4-H Club: Angelica Zanipatin, “Horses: Making of a Horse”; Sarah Bowen,“Who’s Your Daddy? DNA Parent Verification”; Jessica Burkett,“Mounting and Dismounting a Horse”; Ivy Christensen,“You, Your Horse and the Round Pen”; and Kaleigh Kant,“Techniques for Making Greeting Cards.”
- Suisun Valley 4-H Club: Lanea Christianson,“Cooking: How to Make Peppermint Bark”; Christopher Lang, “C is for Cookie: How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies”; Alec Merodio, “Fitness Research: What is Cross Fit?”; Maya Miller, “Clay in the Process”; Samantha Forbes, “The Importance of Growing Native Plants”; and Carson Merodio,“Nutrition Research: What is The Best Sport?”
- Vaca Valley 4-H Club: Kristina Shipley, “Chicken Wings”; Kaitlin Adams, “Main Dish: Goat Soup”; Justin Means, “How to Clean a Shotgun”; and Ashley Adams, “Zucchini Nut Bread.”
- Westwind 4-H Club: Sadie Park, “Snowy Pine Cones”; Kira Krites, “Do You Dream of Buttercream?”; Payton Pinkela,“Cell-icious”; Grace Gribi,“Cake Decorating: Eagle Badge Cake”; Charity Krites, “Dashing Through the Snow”; and Trinity Roach, “Kindling: It’s not Just Firewood.”
- Wolfskill 4-H Club: Haley Scott, “Bunny Baby Bumps: How to Tell If Your Bunny is Pregnant”; Brooke Solbrack, “Fuzzy Bunny”; Daniela Setka, “Do You Hear What I Hear? Cavy (Guinea Pig) Sounds and What They Mean?”; Skylar Bruce, “How to Make a Handwarmer”; Jennifer Giron, “Knot Your Grandma’s Blankie”; and Kiara Ko-Madden,“Craft: Flower Pillow.”
Chili Cook-Off winners were:
- The Hoppin’ Hot Chilimakers, Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Rabbit Chili.” Team included Ricardo Setka, Connor Johnson, Zachary Gardener and Charlie Jeannot.
Participation certificate recipients were:
- The Chili-ettes, Dixon Ridge 4-H Club, “2/2/2.” Allyson Doolittle and Leaona Mestas-Hadrava. They made a pork shoulder/beef chili.
- Red-Hot Pumpkin Peppers, Suisun Valley 4-H, “Turkey Pumpkin Chili.” Robert Wright, Andrew Simonson and Tiffany Lum.
- Pirates of the Chilibeans, Westwind 4-H Club, “Turkey Pirate Chili.” Grace Gribi, Kira Krites and Payton Pinkela.
- Fabulous Chilimakers of Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Bison Chili.” Madeline Giron, Haley Scott and Jennifer Giron.
- Death by Chili, Wolfskill 4-H Club, “Death by Chili.” Tyler Scott, Siera Giron, Riley Currey and Kiara Ko-Madden.
For more information about 4-H programs, contact 4-H representative Valerie Williams, Solano County 4-H program representative, at 784-1319 or [email protected]
Reach Heather Ah San at 427-6977 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/HeatherMalia.